Mass Effect or Skyrim?

Dreakon139

although i heard great things about mass effect, i have never played it and i am not planning to since i am not into space games.

either way, skyrim is one of the best games i have played on ps3, and i hated fallout 3 and oblivion, so you can imagine how much it has improved in gameplay! theres no way you cant love skyrim to be honest :P even though it has countless bugs, the beautiful world and all the stuff you can do in it makes up for it.

also, if you can platinum skyrim, it will definitely be one of your proudest platinums.

So are you done with PS3 gaming now? If you're over on the Triple Sixty now, I'd go for the Mass Effect series, that way you can play the original one as well as the 2nd and 3rd.

Indeed.

That's what I was thinking, but I already know I like Skyrim. Was hoping to hear some opinions of Mass Effect, in a context with Skyrim, that might make it easier to swallow buying/paying for three games (even though 1 and 2 should be pretty cheap). :)

ME1 just went up to $30 and is a rare find. ME2 is still around $18.

ME3 had a terrible ending that pissed off a lot of people. Some fans even got together and made a group called something like "Reclaim Mass Effect." They were taking donations to send in so that there would be an alternate ending made for the game. The company has announced they are working on said DLC. So while I enjoyed the first two and three to the end, the ending is absolutely terrible because none of the choices you made had anything to do with it (except what color the explosion was). It might be better with the DLC but who knows.

The nice thing about ME is that you make choices in all three that effect the game play (except the ending) and will change how your story plays out. As in, who lives and who dies. All of your choices even transfer over onto the next game so it's not just something that is gone when you are done with one of the three.

ME1 just went up to $30 and is a rare find.

For the record, I've found it on eBay fairly easily for around $20-25 new... and on NewEgg for $19.99/free shipping. Assuming I don't mind it's the "Platinum Hits" release... which I do but I'll suck it up to save some money lol.

I have played through Skyrim and I am now currently playing through ME3. Have not finished ME3 yet, so I have no comment on the ending. I will say this though. When I played through Skyrim it never lost my attention. ( which is rare) While I enjoyed the Mass Effect series none of them held my complete attention from start to finish. So I would have to go with Skyrim. But you should defintely play through the Mass effect games at some point if you are a RPG fan.

Both are fantastic games. Both are RPGs, though Skyrim is more traditional than Mass Effect.

Mass Effect 1 isnt available for PS3, but ME2 for PS3 has a special comic that comes with the DLC. It explains the major events of Mass Effect 1. ME2 strays away from the RPG style, becoming more of a 3rd person shooter but the RPG elements are still there. ME3 is the least RPG based of the 3 games. All 3 are exceptional, though the ending of ME3 does the franchaise no justice.

Skyrim is one of the best games I have ever played. I have it for PC though, so I have the advantages of mods and other things, but it should still be great for PS3. The story is a bit weak but there are so many things to do that it's worth every cent.

This is a tough choice ... I have played and beaten both, and cannot give an easy answer.

I agree with polar_bear_dad78 in the sense that Skyrim held my attention right up until I was collecting the last shout for the platinum. It is a huge game, but it never felt like it was stretched, or repetitive. However, after playing for so long the lagging graphics, and occasional crashes became debilitating. If the game were to run smoothly, I would l would likely still go back and play every now and then.

On the other hand, the mass effect trilogy has, in my opinion, a much better story. I agree it did not end the best it could have, but overall I still say it is one of the best stories put forth in a video game to date. The game play is good but not great, the online in ME3 feels like it was added because they needed multi-player (don't take this the wrong way, it is still pretty decent multi-player but just feels unnecessary). While you are in outer space, the game just does not have that awe sensation that Skyrim's environments provide. Nothing feels as huge and epic as it could have.

If you have already beaten Skyrim, but loved the style of game, and are unsure if you want to tackle the whole Mass Effect series (I would highly recommend playing them in order) I would actually recommend you try Kingdoms of Amalur. It is the same fantasy type world as Skyrim, and also has a great combat system that flows very nicely. While it does lack the epic and vast feeling of Skyrim (even though it may actually be a bigger map) it is still a great game, and provides lots of entertainment for a long period of time.

In conclusion, the Mass Effect series is absolutely worth your time if solely for the story, but must be played in order. Skyrim has much more depth and vast environments, but very buggy play. Kingdoms of Amalur lacks the epic feel of Skyrim, but I would still highly recommend if you are a fan of that style of game.

Hope that could be of some help.

• 4 months later...

i've played both and platinum both,skyrim is a great rpg with plenty of hours of gameplay,but it has a ton of glitches,i prefer fallout,mass effect is amazing,i love the gameplay and the story and how the choices you make affects the game,people that keep complaining about the ending and saying to avoid mass effect 3 just because of the ending are childish,both of them are good,but i prefer mass effect.

Mass effect 3 is on sale at gamestop right now by the way for 20$ until tuesday.

I never played mass effect but skyrim, yes and play skyrim.

I mean, who don't like to have pegasus (flying horse glitch), die by a giant using a horse (he attacks the horse and fly away and I ran and ran and ran, then a few minutes later, giant? no, then I die and my horse is in top of me :( )

I'd buy ME1 on pc, i got it for £5 new i think. I'm yet to play 2 or 3 so i cant recommend them but i found 1 amazing

Skyrim is okay in my opinion, everyone that says skyrim isnt repetitive i dont understand, (apart from the main quest which i found dull and the other 5 quest lines) all the side quests were incredibly dull in my opinion. I've have the platinum but was jsut time consuming. Though for some reason i'd didnt get all the major lag and crashes its supposed have, maybe phats have it better

Mass Effect has an interesting plot and semi-linear game design while Skyrim is more about exploring the entire game world. I love both approaches to the RPG genre but I personally prefer more story/plot driven games. Not to mention the Rimlag issue on the PS3. That alone makes ME3 better than Skyrim on the PS3. Tough decision but I will have to go with Mass Effect on the PS3. On other platforms it is a tie.