The Metalhead Thread

BeautifulTorment

• 1 month later...

Ok, something other than a metal song on YouTube.

Three weeks ago, a heavy metal core of a dead planet was found "rocketing around" a dead star. Everything around it is dead and it continues... well that is really insanely metal. \m/ If afterlife exists, I don't want to spend it bored in heaven... I want to go there! Anyone else going?

https://www.livescience.com/65159-dead-planet-core-is-totally-metal.html

Edited by Midnightwards666
  • Like 1

My list currently consists of hungry lights / hungry covers (seriously, check that guy out on youtube he is a genius), thy art is murder, chelsea grin, the amity affliction, stick to your guns and a bit of falling in reverse. I basically listen to every type of metal, but metal only.

1 hour ago, Mr_Skirra said:

My list currently consists of hungry lights / hungry covers (seriously, check that guy out on youtube he is a genius), thy art is murder, chelsea grin, the amity affliction, stick to your guns and a bit of falling in reverse. I basically listen to every type of metal, but metal only.

Even if your playlist is limited to metal, it can still sound reasonably varied as there are so many subgenres. There are a few very specific subgenres of metal I don't like (brutal death, depressive black) but I Iisten to pretty much everything else... symphonic, gothic power, prog, folk, thrash, avant-garde, black, death...

On 4/27/2019 at 4:39 AM, Midnightwards666 said:

Ok, something other than a metal song on YouTube.

Three weeks ago, a heavy metal core of a dead planet was found "rocketing around" a dead star. Everything around it is dead and it continues... well that is really insanely metal. \m/ If afterlife exists, I don't want to spend it bored in heaven... I want to go there! Anyone else going?

https://www.livescience.com/65159-dead-planet-core-is-totally-metal.html

Me :o

• 2 weeks later...

Lately I've been so stressed from work I only listen to classic rock n roll.

Now I've went back to death metal and Asphyx of Netherlands which I think is the #1 death metal band for me.

A few songs you should check:

The Rack

Asphyx (Forgotten War)

Initation into the Ossuary

Asphyx II (They Died as They Marched)

As the Magma Mammoth Rises

And if anyone got something similar to suggest please feel free to namedrop.

• Like 1

NEW ALBUM: Gravity by Starkill

Released on 17th May, 2019, this is quite possibly the best album of the year so far. Starkill combine symphonic, power and melodic death metal... the music is very symphonic, and at times even electronic... and there are three styles of vocals! There is a female singer and a male singer, both of which vary between clean and harsh vocals. It's like Sirenia, Arch Enemy and The Unguided all combined. Some tracks lean towards the symphonic side, others more towards melodeath. I have listened to all tracks... while none in particular stand out as a highlight track, the album as a whole is a masterpiece. 

1 hour ago, Sikatiiker said:

Lately I've been so stressed from work I only listen to classic rock n roll.

Now I've went back to death metal and Asphyx of Netherlands which I think is the #1 death metal band for me.

A few songs you should check:

The Rack

Asphyx (Forgotten War)

Initation into the Ossuary

Asphyx II (They Died as They Marched)

As the Magma Mammoth Rises

And if anyone got something similar to suggest please feel free to namedrop.

I just had a listen... As the Magma Mammoth Rises is a great track! Most of my playlist is much faster... my favourite type of death metal is melodeath (Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, Mygrain), that was more doom/death metal which I don't listen to as much... but I still liked it very much, in particular the last track. Based on the tracks you linked, my best recommendation for you would be a track by Lvcifyre called Night Sea Sorcery. It's very dark, atmospheric, it has influences of doom, death and black metal and definitely seems like what you would like. However, that particular track is not very typical of the band... their other tracks are a bit more insane. I even saw them live once, supporting Mgla. I can't think of any similar bands, only individual tracks right now... but if I ever do, I can let you know.

Also, it's great to see someone keeping this thread alive!

25 minutes ago, Midnightwards666 said:

Lvcifyre called Night Sea Sorcery. It's very dark, atmospheric, it has influences of doom, death and black metal and definitely seems like what you would like. However, that particular track is not very typical of the band... their other tracks are a bit more insane. I even saw them live once, supporting Mgla. I can't think of any similar bands, only individual tracks right now... but if I ever do, I can let you know.

I'll give it a go tomorrow. Mgla is absolutely great, heard of Plaga? They're also Polish and pretty much same genre.

I like atmospheric metal nowadays whether it's death metal or black metal. I usually listen to old Urfaust albums when I stay up late.

3 minutes ago, Sikatiiker said:

I'll give it a go tomorrow. Mgla is absolutely great, heard of Plaga? They're also Polish and pretty much same genre.

I like atmospheric metal nowadays whether it's death metal or black metal. I usually listen to old Urfaust albums when I stay up late.

Summoning are by far my favourite atmospheric black metal band. 

I have never listened to Plaga, although I see they are indeed very similar to Mgla. I will have a listen. 

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Slipknot_rooney said:

Saw Behemoth and Amon Amarth last night, if they are playing a gig near you check them out, they are both on top form and putting on a great show.

That sounds like a great night. I just checked and it turns out that Amon Amarth are playing a gig in London on November 30th, supported by Arch Enemy... they are possibly my two favourite melodeath bands. I know some of my friends will definitely want to go... and I would love to... but unfortunately, not this time. 

On 20.05.2019 at 0:55 AM, Midnightwards666 said:

NEW ALBUM: Gravity by Starkill

Released on 17th May, 2019, this is quite possibly the best album of the year so far. Starkill combine symphonic, power and melodic death metal... the music is very symphonic, and at times even electronic... and there are three styles of vocals! There is a female singer and a male singer, both of which vary between clean and harsh vocals. It's like Sirenia, Arch Enemy and The Unguided all combined. Some tracks lean towards the symphonic side, others more towards melodeath. I have listened to all tracks... while none in particular stand out as a highlight track, the album as a whole is a masterpiece. 

I just had a listen... As the Magma Mammoth Rises is a great track! Most of my playlist is much faster... my favourite type of death metal is melodeath (Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, Mygrain), that was more doom/death metal which I don't listen to as much... but I still liked it very much, in particular the last track. Based on the tracks you linked, my best recommendation for you would be a track by Lvcifyre called Night Sea Sorcery. It's very dark, atmospheric, it has influences of doom, death and black metal and definitely seems like what you would like. However, that particular track is not very typical of the band... their other tracks are a bit more insane. I even saw them live once, supporting Mgla. I can't think of any similar bands, only individual tracks right now... but if I ever do, I can let you know.

Starkill has become a joke band. After their legendary debut and a very good second album, they hired another vocalist who literally fucked the band. If you think their last is a masterpiece I don't know what do you think about their debut... I am just sad to see their current situation. From Fires of Life to this...

13 hours ago, Alondate31 said:

Starkill has become a joke band. After their legendary debut and a very good second album, they hired another vocalist who literally fucked the band. If you think their last is a masterpiece I don't know what do you think about their debut... I am just sad to see their current situation. From Fires of Life to this...

They're not a joke, they're just a band who have chosen to dramatically change their style. Just like many others who have done the same, such as In Flames, Dimmu Borgir, Sirenia, Grave Digger and even to some extent Nightwish... fans of the old genre were disappointed, but the hope is to find fans within the new style. As for my opinion on early Starkill... I really like it too. Their debut is legendary indeed. So much heaviness and great melodeath, yet the orchestration fits so well whilst backing down when necessary.

On 19/05/2019 at 11:25 PM, Sikatiiker said:

I had a listen to Plaga. It was ok, but I didn't like it anywhere near as much or Mgła or some of my other favourite black metal bands. Wasn't too keen on the vocals. Just couldn't get into it

Also, I have a band recommendation for you, based on your previous post: 1914. A fantastic World War I themed blackened doom/death metal band from Ukraine. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Homejuustosipuli said:

Plaga is more of orthodox bm iirc, saw them live 2015 and mgla this summer 1f607.png

Do you fellows like Ash Borer?

Will listen to ^ later, seems interesting

Yes, I love atmospheric black metal and that was a fantastic track which I will certainly add to my playlist. Black metal is certainly up there with my favourite metal subgenres, above death metal without any doubt. That song has a really cold and empty feeling, which I love to hear occasionally. I wonder if there is any other genre of music where you can record with such a lo-fi quality and it actually works incredibly well. That's another thing I love about black metal. 

• 2 months later...

Recently, I have really started to appreciate "lo-fi" black metal... especially if it belongs in the atmospheric subgenre. It took me a while to get into such a low quality mix, but actually, it's really effective. Before then, I was more into Dimmu Borgir and Carach Angren. Great new discovery made: Battle Dagorath

The thin and muddy recording gives the music a cold and dark atmosphere which belongs deep in a cold haunted forest at night. It's more or less the underground non-mainstream musical equivalent of the internet's darkweb. I used to be more closed-minded and would only want high quality, but now, I would not change the sound at all. In some unexplainable way, this music feels earned.

• Like 2