Final Fantasy X / X-2 coming to PS4 on May 12

Azaan60

Sad. Square is just...sad.

I'm with you here. It is completely unbearable. A lot of the cutscenes are long, and the dialogue can be cringe worthy at times. And there are a lot of cutscenes of them just standing around and talking. Plus if you die, you have to watch them all over again lol. I still love the game, but not being able to skip the cutscenes was the most disappointing thing about the remastered version for me. 

The games are actually not as great as people remember. I don't think X has aged well, and X-2 is every bit as "cringeworthy" as you describe. Motomu Toriyama - keep f---ing up Square!

Haha. So many people hate this and I find it hilarious.  Some people didn't get the PS3/Vita versions.  Some people are collectors.  Some people really really like the game.  There are many reasons why I'm glad that they're doing this.  If some people could just open their mind a little...

I'll be getting it.  I have Type-0 HD on the way and I am pre-ordering this asap.  It's a completely different collectors edition too.  

Haha. So many people hate this and I find it hilarious.  Some people didn't get the PS3/Vita versions.  Some people are collectors.  Some people really really like the game.  There are many reasons why I'm glad that they're doing this.  If some people could just open their mind a little...

I'll be getting it.  I have Type-0 HD on the way and I am pre-ordering this asap.  It's a completely different collectors edition too.  

I don't hate it. I find it sad. I like Square, and hold out hope that they will rise again. But face it - Square is a decaying company, and they're falling into the standard Japanese pattern of re-living the past, over and over again (and we see how well that's worked for Japanese business over the past two decades).

If they wanted to make a limited edition for people, that would be one thing. But this smacks of a company on the way out, trying to squeeze every last dollar out of their old glories (just like their indescribably baffling decision to re-purpose FFXIII versus, instead of simply cutting bait).

I don't hate it. I find it sad. I like Square, and hold out hope that they will rise again. But face it - Square is a decaying company, and they're falling into the standard Japanese pattern of re-living the past, over and over again (and we see how well that's worked for Japanese business over the past two decades).

If they wanted to make a limited edition for people, that would be one thing. But this smacks of a company on the way out, trying to squeeze every last dollar out of their old glories (just like their indescribably baffling decision to re-purpose FFXIII versus, instead of simply cutting bait).

I wasn't really pointing fingers at anyone specifically.  Just stating that I like this and find it funny how people will hate it.  Think of the money that they will make from it.  Also, if this does well, perhaps we'll see some ports of other ones.  I wouldn't mind an HD version of 12 now, would you?

Also, I see nothing wrong with reliving the past and playing some of your favorite titles again.  The visuals were upgraded so much.  I mean, sure, I'm a huge fan of FFX and all other FFs so I always go and play them on my PS2, PS3, Vita, etc.  Just because it's old and I've played it before doesn't mean I don't want to play it again.   :(

I for one, will continue to support them.  I like their games.  Things could be worse, lol.

Edited by daftprophet

I wasn't really pointing fingers at anyone specifically.  Just stating that I like this.  Think of the money that they will make from it.  Also, if this does well, perhaps we'll see some ports of other ones.  I wouldn't mind an HD version of 12 now, would you?

Also, I see nothing wrong with reliving the past and playing some of your favorite titles again.  The visuals were upgraded so much.  I mean, sure, I'm a huge fan of FFX and all other FFs so I always go and play them on my PS2, PS3, Vita, etc.  Just because it's old and I've played it before doesn't mean I don't want to play it again.   :(

I for one, will continue to support them.  I like their games.  Things could be worse, lol.

Their shareholders might disagree, but I suppose you're right.

Still, I think this would work better as a collector's edition. I just don't see huge sales for this. Big fans like you will get it, but I think most people who wanted to play the game again got it on PS3.

Daft Punk is awesome, BTW, so even if you had lambasted me in true interwebz fashion, I would have let it slide.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

Their shareholders might disagree, but I suppose you're right.

Still, I think this would work better as a collector's edition. I just don't see huge sales for this. Big fans like you will get it, but I think most people who wanted to play the game again got it on PS3.

Daft Punk is awesome, BTW, so even if you had lambasted me in true interwebz fashion, I would have let it slide.

Hey man. No harm no foul.  I'm just trying to show that there are some people that will want this for sure.  :)

The games are actually not as great as people remember. I don't think X has aged well, and X-2 is every bit as "cringeworthy" as you describe. Motomu Toriyama - keep f---ing up Square!

Hahaha.... I remember being really excited for Final Fantasy X-2 and then I saw the opening. 

I agree that the recent Final Fantasy games haven't been as good this millennium. The last one I truly loved was X, and yes there are things in that game that did not age well. The Realm Reborn is good though, but it's an MMO. 

Edited by Lilseb93

Because I already watched them on the PS2 and PS3. Watching all cutscenes a third time is ridiculous. And I thought there were quite a lot of cutscenes. XP

SPOILER ALERT!!

Oh, you mean skip dialogue? Because the cutscenes are those prerendered movie clips, like that Blitzball video at the beginning, getting to Luka, I think one or two are with sin, one is at the wedding, one in the water with Yuna and Tidus, Yuna dancing on water, attack on Luka with Seymour summoning, ending, oh being pulled into Sin. Probably a couple more, but that's about it really. And they each last from a half min to max 2 mins. Compare that to like FFVII with over 2 hours of cutscenes, I'd say FFX doesn't have a whole lot.

If you on the other hand mean the dialogues etc, that's a completely different matter all together.

I'm with you here. It is completely unbearable. A lot of the cutscenes are long, and the dialogue can be cringe worthy at times. And there are a lot of cutscenes of them just standing around and talking. Plus if you die, you have to watch them all over again lol. I still love the game, but not being able to skip the cutscenes was the most disappointing thing about the remastered version for me. 

I wouldn't call those cutscenes, but as for dialogues etc, then sure plenty of them. Do you guys really die all that much in FFX? o.O I mean of course with the exception of dark aeons and omega ruins. I hated how FFXIII solved it, with absolutely no punishment for dying, because it simply made it boring. I didn't care if I died, and FFXIII was way easier than FFX too, so that rarely happened anyways with the exception of 5 starring certain enemies etc.

As for the story in FFX, I very much enjoy the anti-religious message. :)

EDIT: Huh?! Half my comment disappeared! >_<

FFX-2 was clearly aimed at girls, and I never made it past chaper 2 or so, just didn't like it. Haven't even tried playing it on PS3. FFXIII-2 suffered from something similar, where the main characters talked to each other as if a 10 year old were supposed to listen to it.

Personally, FFX was better than what I remembered. I still think it has just gone downwards since FFIX, and what follows is that I think FFX was a worse game than FFIX. FFXII was okay too, but now, meh!

Edited by MMDE

I wouldn't call those cutscenes, but as for dialogues etc, then sure plenty of them. Do you guys really die all that much in FFX? o.O I mean of course with the exception of dark aeons and omega ruins. I hated how FFXIII solved it, with absolutely no punishment for dying, because it simply made it boring. I didn't care if I died, and FFXIII was way easier than FFX too, so that rarely happened anyways with the exception of 5 starring certain enemies etc.

I didn't die all that much. The only boss I remember having a hard time with that had a cutscene before it was Yunalesca, and the cutscene before her fight was pretty long. The dark aeons and omega ruins were hard, but fortunately there weren't any long cutscenes to sit through. 

Edited by Lilseb93

If you on the other hand mean the dialogues etc, that's a completely different matter all together.

Well, personally, I refer to any filmed/pre-rendered clips in games as cinematics, whereas I call in-engine clips cutscenes.

Wikipedia would say that every scripted event is a cutscene. That's just nonsense though :).

But that's just me :P

Personally, FFX was better than what I remembered. I still think it has just gone downwards since FFIX, and what follows is that I think FFX was a worse game than FFIX. FFXII was okay too, but now, meh!

As I said earlier, I actually think that FFX aged pretty poorly. Some of the cutscenes just have me scratching my head. The one where Yuna is marrying Seymour, in an open environment, with tons of people on all sides, and she's managed to sneak in her staff behind her back, is particularly bad. I think a lot of the love directed towards it is pure nostalgia. I think newcomers to the series would wonder what the wonder was.

I really like FFXII, even today. I just played it last year, and it still holds value for me. FFIX is one of the great games of the series (second only to FFVI, IMHO).

Edited by starcrunch061

SPOILER ALERT!!

Oh, you mean skip dialogue? Because the cutscenes are those prerendered movie clips, like that Blitzball video at the beginning, getting to Luka, I think one or two are with sin, one is at the wedding, one in the water with Yuna and Tidus, Yuna dancing on water, attack on Luka with Seymour summoning, ending, oh being pulled into Sin. Probably a couple more, but that's about it really. And they each last from a half min to max 2 mins. Compare that to like FFVII with over 2 hours of cutscenes, I'd say FFX doesn't have a whole lot.

FFX-2 was clearly aimed at girls, and I never made it past chaper 2 or so, just didn't like it. Haven't even tried playing it on PS3. FFXIII-2 suffered from something similar, where the main characters talked to each other as if a 10 year old were supposed to listen to it.

The things you call dialogues are still cut scenes. Feel free to read what they are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutscene

Now having said that, there is pre-render ones and real time ones. This has been one of my biggest problems with FFXIII-2 and FFXIII-3. Imagine how much prettier those two games would be if they did pre-renders instead of stupid real time ones so I can see my different "costume" or "garb" on in it. To Final Fantasy's always had top notch graphics. You look at the graphics on FFX and FFXII and wonder how those were even ps2 games. Look at the rendered stuff on FFVII, that stuff was so far ahead of any competitors.  

You can transfer your save file, I even bolded it in my post

Guess I suck at reading, thanks! That is pretty awesome then, it looks so much sharper when I was already impressed playing the ps3 one. 

As I said earlier, I actually think that FFX aged pretty poorly. Some of the cutscenes just have me scratching my head. The one where Yuna is marrying Seymour, in an open environment, with tons of people on all sides, and she's managed to sneak in her staff behind her back, is particularly bad. I think a lot of the love directed towards it is pure nostalgia. I think newcomers to the series would wonder what the wonder was.

I really like FFXII, even today. I just played it last year, and it still holds value for me. FFIX is one of the great games of the series (second only to FFVI, IMHO).

Is something you see as an inconsistency in the story the reason why it has aged? That would have been just as bad when it was released as it is now... I'd say your conclusion doesn't follow from what you said, so I'm not very convinced of what you said.

Most of the other people could have thought it was ceremonial. There's only a handful of people she would sneak it past, and she may have gotten help from some of these people.

I think the story is good, a lot better than pretty much anything this generation, especially in the FF series, which has been worse than ever before.

I never liked FFXII, it felt too much like an MMORPG, but it wasn't an MMORPG... If you like FFXII, I'm sure you will like Vagrant Story too.

Personally, I can't really decide on a favorite, because they all got their good sides to me. I think some of my more favorite is FFV-FFIX. :P Yes, I excluded both FFIV and FFX from that. ;)

Now having said that, there is pre-render ones and real time ones. This has been one of my biggest problems with FFXIII-2 and FFXIII-3. Imagine how much prettier those two games would be if they did pre-renders instead of stupid real time ones so I can see my different "costume" or "garb" on in it. To Final Fantasy's always had top notch graphics. You look at the graphics on FFX and FFXII and wonder how those were even ps2 games. Look at the rendered stuff on FFVII, that stuff was so far ahead of any competitors.  

Those FMVs in FFXIII was one of it's biggest issues. They spent so much money on it, it cut back on literally everything else in the game except for maybe music and graphics. Content, gameplay, story etc. The story was terribly chopped up etc, because they couldn't afford everything they wanted. The story really wasn't all that great anyways. At least with FFXIII-2 they focused on the gameplay and threw those expensive few seconds of eye candy FMVs away.

Is something you see as an inconsistency in the story the reason why it has aged? That would have been just as bad when it was released as it is now... I'd say your conclusion doesn't follow from what you said, so I'm not very convinced of what you said..

I don't even know what to say to this, other than...ridiculous? This is an object example of "aging poorly". Story points that were allowed in the past (for a variety of reasons) become annoying "inconsistencies" (not the term I would choose, but sticking with your words) in the future. Cut scene nonsense that would be tolerated because of their sheer majesty become grating upon a later view (and as an aside, I would argue that this is one of the biggest problems with JRPGs - the lack of forward-thinking in regards to story development).

It's like reading a Golden Age comic book. The same tropes that worked back then don't work now. In fact, that's the entire problem with the JRPG this generation. That's not to say that there aren't other compelling reasons to read such a comic (or play such a game). you may like the art, or the gameplay, etc. But it is PERFECTLY logical for a person to enjoy a comic's story in the past, and dislike it in the future.

That's the two-edged sword of development that JRPGs have so woefully misunderstood. And as an aside, I would have let all this go without your silly final quip.

You know gaming has hit rock-bottom when the remakes are getting remakes...

I don't think I'll get this for PS4, I'll probably get it on Vita instead.

#thatssosquare

I don't even know what to say to this, other than...ridiculous? This is an object example of "aging poorly". Story points that were allowed in the past (for a variety of reasons) become annoying "inconsistencies" (not the term I would choose, but sticking with your words) in the future. Cut scene nonsense that would be tolerated because of their sheer majesty become grating upon a later view (and as an aside, I would argue that this is one of the biggest problems with JRPGs - the lack of forward-thinking in regards to story development).

It's like reading a Golden Age comic book. The same tropes that worked back then don't work now. In fact, that's the entire problem with the JRPG this generation. That's not to say that there aren't other compelling reasons to read such a comic (or play such a game). you may like the art, or the gameplay, etc. But it is PERFECTLY logical for a person to enjoy a comic's story in the past, and dislike it in the future.

I think the problem here is that you believe the conclusion is true, which it very well may be, but it doesn't follow from the premises. What was the premise? That Yuna had a staff in the marriage with Seymour. Let's look at the two things that makes the conclusion not follow from the premise.

Is this really a plot hole?

I already told you how she could have gotten away with it. I can't remember if it is explained, but so what if it isn't, she was able to. 

Was this more acceptable then than it is now?

I have absolutely no good reason to believe this is true. You will have to provide evidence for this. Another factor to take into consideration here is that the game has been out longer so it has had more time to be analyzed and nit picked. This may be something that is apparent to you now, and it may be that it was the first time you played it too, but why do you think it would have been more acceptable then than now?

What is an object example???

Also, yes, when something new is awing you, you may let them get away with certain stuff, and when you don't know it can be any better, you think highly of it at the time, even if it later gets done better. I totally agree with this. This wasn't my objection to what you said. I said your example doesn't convince me of the conclusion in this case. You also seem to forget there can be other factors. I also didn't say you can't dislike something you liked in the past, because of course you can.

As for story dialogue etc, I've never had any issue with in earlier FF games from SNES and out PS2. o.O It's not that I'm tired of it or expect better when it comes to for example FFXIII, and that's why I don't like the games. They're just nowhere near as good when it comes to story, characters, gameplay (which includes everything from battle, equipment, leveling system to what else you do in the game), soundtrack, the art style... Pretty much everything is done worse, and I can't fathom how they can do it all worse, when they've done so much better in the past. After replaying FFX on PS3, I'm even more confident when it comes to this. I actually played the FF games out of order, and FFX was one my earlier FF games, and so I directly compared it to like FFV, which I actually prefer. :S