Unpopular Video Game Opinions

AVenGer777rocks

4 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

They interrupt your experience (except if you turn notifications off but the consoles come with the notifications on, to this day many people don't know that simply turning the notifications off is an option). Yeah, thanks for popping a trophy saying I defeated the monster the second the cutscene starts even though in the cutscene it still looks like the monster might make a final stand.

I'd say this specific example sounds more like bad game design than a problem with trophies in general - make them pop at an appropiate point in the game.

1 hour ago, Jaguargenie said:

- I also hate when games have a handful of trophies linked to online play when it's a single player centric game. But I don't hate on MP in general, cuz some love it. Just not my thing. 

To add to this, those are bad enough but local multiplayer trophies can be even worse - especially since I don't really have anyone to play with (not that I don't have any nearby friends but I doubt I could convince them to come over just to help me get the trophies in whatever new game I just got) I'll just use 2 controllers and hope it's actually some amount of achievable that way (I don't even have an extra controller for PS4) For online MP there's at least sessions and communities like this. Kinda wish multiplayer/coop (offline and online) trophies in non-multiplayer centric games had their own trophy section like DLC...

Edited by Zanreo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zanreo said:

I'd say this specific example sounds more like bad game design than a problem with trophies in general - make them pop at an appropiate point in the game.

They're always disruptive of your immersion though, I was just naming one extreme example (which happens often enough).

23 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

7. I don't consider games to be art

Watch Grounded: Making The Last of Us

Video games ARE an artform, just as much as Mona Lisa or Beethoven's best concerto are art. To believe otherwise is just ignorance. The amount of skill needed to make a quality game is more than just an average person can put forth. Mountains of concept drawings, paintings, 3D modelling, writing, rewriting, etc. are required to make a video game. 

Please just watch that video and hopefully it get you to see that video games are art.

• Like 2

Gamergaters were one of two kinds of people:

1. The sort of alt-right troll that thinks Breitbart is a legitimate news source, Pepe the Frog memes are the height of wit, and who were sharpening skills that later helped get our feckless leader Lord Dampnuts elected.
  2. The same sort of mark that falls for the "ID-10T form" practical joke at your workplace.
Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, AnimeDreama said:

Watch Grounded: Making The Last of Us

Video games ARE an artform, just as much as Mona Lisa or Beethoven's best concerto are art. To believe otherwise is just ignorance. The amount of skill needed to make a quality game is more than just an average person can put forth. Mountains of concept drawings, paintings, 3D modelling, writing, rewriting, etc. are required to make a video game. 

Please just watch that video and hopefully it get you to see that video games are art.

Video games will NEVER be art as long as they continue to censor themselves, especially if they want to be put on the same platform as pieces like the thinker, the statue of david, sistene chapel etc. You won't change my opinion regardless of what you tell me to watch, and I didn't realize having an opinion was ignorance. Insulting others opinions shows who the truly ignorant one is. This is an unpopular opinion thread for a reason

Edited by SnowxSakura
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Video games will NEVER be art as long as they continue to censor themselves, especially if they want to be put on the same platform as pieces like the thinker, the statue of david, sistene chapel etc. You won't change my opinion regardless of what you tell me to watch, and I didn't realize having an opinion was ignorance. Insulting others opinions shows who the truly ignorant one is. This is an unpopular opinion thread for a reason

An opinion can be ignorant if it flies in the face of logic. For example, racist thoughts are an opinion, but they are ignorant ones. Knowing the tools and required work to make a video game and continuing to say a video game can never be art, is, in my opinion, an ignorant opinion. I never meant my statement to be an insult, but I apologize for offending you so.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

First and foremost: temptation. They're there, so it's tempting to get reeled in (speaking as a casual gamer turned achievement hunter turned achievement hater). While they can extend your gaming experience, in general I don't really think they actually enhance your experience.

They interrupt your experience (except if you turn notifications off but the consoles come with the notifications on, to this day many people don't know that simply turning the notifications off is an option). Yeah, thanks for popping a trophy saying I defeated the monster the second the cutscene starts even though in the cutscene it still looks like the monster might make a final stand.

The only safe way of dealing with them is by not looking at them at all, many are able to spoil late-game twists at the drop of a hat. But then comes my first point again: they're there, so it's difficult for many people to completely ignore them.

5 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

To add to that, some people get to the point where they don't even care about what game they're playing as long as they can get that sweet Ding

Well, it's your fault for being so influenceable. Don't blame others. xD

--------------------

16 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Video games ARE art.

And by that I mean not just a bunch or art put together, but there's an art of doing video games. Thus it is an art.

3 minutes ago, AnimeDreama said:

An opinion can be ignorant if it flies in the face of logic. For example, racist thoughts are an opinion, but they are ignorant ones. Knowing the tools and required work to make a video game and continuing to say a video game can never be art, is, in my opinion, an ignorant opinion. I never meant my statement to be an insult, but I apologize for offending you so.

Truth!

Edited by Hyakulegger
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

They're always disruptive of your immersion though, I was just naming one extreme example (which happens often enough).

Yeah, I guess immersion could also have an effect here - for me, I don't typically get "immersed" in the same way where seeing a trophy pop throws me out so this doesn't bother me. While I often get really into the gameplay experience when playing, not paying much attention to anything else, there's always some kind of "distance" if that makes sense (for your example earlier, that would bother me more in terms of spoilers than breaking immersion)

Edited by Zanreo

48 minutes ago, AnimeDreama said:

Yep! Definitely agree, I've always considered games a form of art in the same way movies, books ect. are for as long as I've been into them.

Edited by Zanreo
  • Like 1

More opinions:

- Specs doesn't need to increase much more at this point, and game budgets are way too high already.

- Handhelds are, in most cases, just as good as home consoles (and even better for some types of games)

- "Milking" a series isn't always bad as long as the milk is still good - if it's more of the same stuff I already love I'll gladly take it :D

- "Realistic" visuals are generally just kinda boring (and not to mention, age much worse than more stylized visuals)

- I'm ok with the PS+ games (even if they're not always the exact games I prefer), overall I'd rather see indies and smaller games than AAA games

1 hour ago, Zanreo said:

Yeah, I guess immersion could also have an effect here - for me, I don't typically get "immersed" in the same way where seeing a trophy pop throws me out so this doesn't bother me. While I often get really into the gameplay experience when playing, not paying much attention to anything else, there's always some kind of "distance" if that makes sense (for your example earlier, that would bother me more in terms of spoilers than breaking immersion)

Yeah, for me it does take me out of the experience a lot unfortunately. I've turned off notifications whenever I do a game with a story.

Thought of some additional unpopular opinions of mine:

1. Super Mario Sunshine sucks.
  2. Jar Jar Binks does not suck (not game related but I got reminded of it thanks to someone's post).
  3. Portal 2 was better than the first game.
  4. Duke Nukem Forever is not as horrible as people make it out to be.
  5. I don't get the appeal of sports games, at all.

1 hour ago, Hyakulegger said:

Well, it's your fault for being so influenceable. Don't blame others. xD

Boy, you really like being a hypocrite it seems. Here's your own words from earlier today back at you.

9 hours ago, Hyakulegger said:

It's called having a different opinion. It happens, sometimes.

Now stop trying to create an argument against everything I say. I have a different opinion than you on stuff, you don't have to quote me every time I say something to provide some useless comment.

6 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Boy, you really like being a hypocrite it seems. Here's your own words from earlier today back at you.

Well, it's my opinion that it's your fault for being too influenceable. xD Nothing hypocritical there. xD

6 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Now stop trying to create an argument against everything I say. I have a different opinion than you on stuff, you don't have to quote me every time I say something to provide some useless comment.

"How DARE you quote me when replying to me?" :awesome:

Edited by Hyakulegger

9 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Yeah, those first four are not really that unpopular on a PlayStation forum. It's saying something about the unpopularity of the Vita that even on a PlayStation forum, thinking the Vita is great counts as an unpopular opinion.

I agree that Nintendo makes some bad business decisions but their hardware is excellent (with exception of the Wii U, and that's more of a "too many undefineds" type of thing) and I do want them to stick around.

PlayStation superiority of exclusives is highly debatable. Personally, the PlayStation exclusives have been more miss than hit these past few years.

Disagree on RPGs, I can get into the western ones much easier. The Witcher III is vastly better than any JRPG I've tried.

Videogames better than books or movies... mèh. All three can be great media and all three have flaws. It's telling that many games these days praised for their storytelling don't have stellar gameplay per se but have just gotten more cinematic than the rest.

Skyrim overrated? Try The Last Of Us.

Assassin's Creed is awesome!

Agreed on Heavy Rain.

Fine, my list...

1. Naughty Dog's recent Uncharted and The Last Of Us franchises are overrated. The stories are nice but the gameplay is bland (and Uncharted has some hefty romantic plot tumours).
  2. The Last Of Us in particular is very overrated and does not deserve to be headlining any "best game ever" list, let alone so many.
  3. I still like the Assassin's Creed series, I enjoyed every main game and Rogue as well. I didn't mind that the wow-factor was lessened, I just enjoyed getting to play some more AC every year.
  4. Trophies and achievements are ruining casual gaming, in several ways.
  5. PS+ games are good value for money and I feel like getting my money's worth even though I only pay for PS+ because of those games.
  6. PS3 and Vita games on PS+ should make way for more PS4 games.
  7. A PS4 or X1 is needed as a side console for the more graphically taxing games but Nintendo is the way to go for the main console.
  8. Until Dawn got ruined because of the unlikable characters which I did not care for at all.
  9. Realistic track racing games will never be as compelling as futuristic track racing games.
  10. Online multiplayer gaming is stupid and I want more games to be single player only, or offline multiplayer.

There, I think that should do for now...

This is a flawed opinion. The game intentionally has to and does throw in a group of likeable and dislikeable characters. Some were written too well to outright dislike them for any other reason than bias like racism, predujuice, etc. Regardless, the basis of this game is copying teen horror movies with large cast, and every one of them have both parties.

There's no way it ruins the game, it's like the yin and yang. It wouldnt be a fun game if everyone was likeable, and it wouldnt create necessary tension and plots for this kind of game. And every single character was unique because of their personalities.

(Someone could do a better job explaining than me.)

32 minutes ago, Mar said:

This is a flawed opinion. The game intentionally has to and does throw in a group of likeable and dislikeable characters. Some were written too well to outright dislike them for any other reason than bias like racism, predujuice, etc. Regardless, the basis of this game is copying teen horror movies with large cast, and every one of them have both parties.

There's no way it ruins the game, it's like the yin and yang. It wouldnt be a fun game if everyone was likeable, and it wouldnt create necessary tension and plots for this kind of game. And every single character was unique because of their personalities.

(Someone could do a better job explaining than me.)

Someone already did explain, but I don't think you two are getting my point. Don't know why you're starting the racism angle but that has nothing to do with it for me, the characters were just not likeable. The only one I cared for was the one played by Hayden (and I'm even doubting her because she hangs out with the rest), the rest immediately got on my bad side by stupid and/or annoying dialogue/actions.

Doesn't matter if the game does so intentionally, and it most definitely ruins the game for me. It's a flawed opinion that this kind of game should have both likeable and not likeable characters, of course a story like this can be created with only likeable characters (or at least less unlikeable). The Cabin In The Woods had only likeable characters and was excellent at creating tension. Scream had the main teens all likeable. Just because unlikeable teens were a stereotype in nineties horror, that shouldn't mean the genre can't live without them, and I resent the idea that I should enjoy the game for its cheesy nineties horror if I don't even care whether the characters live or die. And it's really too bad because the game had a lot going for it, the tension was excellent, but if it's stupid annoying teens who make stupid annoying decisions then I'm out, especially if the game pretends to have me make decisions but fails to give me sensible ones that I would agree with.

To summarise:

25 minutes ago, damon8r351 said:

Until Dawn was ruined by the unlikable characters.

Edited by Stevieboy