Unpopular Video Game Opinions

AVenGer777rocks

10 minutes ago, PLEXTOR08 said:

I agree that preordering isn't always bad. If there is some kind of discount, exclusive merchandise or other bonus to it and you know what to expect of the game then it's reasonable to pre order. I was mostly talking about people who base their decision to pre order on hype, unreliable pre release gameplay or empty promises by te developers (like with No Man's Sky). Like if Sean Murray promises an ENTIRE FUCKING universe it's only natural to be sceptical and wait before you blindly decide to pre order just because the game sounds awesome but for some reason people did just that. No Man's Sky is the most recent example but it happens all the time. 

I misunderstood your post as "why pre-order if you can just get it regularly or even wait a day or two for reviews". Both your actual opinion and the one I thought you meant are valid, I do have some exceptions though :) But I do now thanks to Sean Murray not trust small devs with my pre-order unless they've already proven themselves a couple of times.

8 minutes ago, Zanreo said:

I also make sure to preorder more "niche"/less popular games to be sure they even get them in stock - yeah, internet shopping is great but I still prefer picking them up in the store when I can.

I only do store pick-ups for pre-orders.

I think Overwatch is the most overrated game of 2016.

Multiplayer only games should never be more than $30.

I believe a multiplayer only game does not ever constitute a full game, hence my belief it should never be full price.

MOBAs are trash.

I think Destiny is a flawed masterpiece.

Edited by AnimeDreama

Just now, Qu1ck57r1k3 said:

Duke Nukem Forever was not as bad as a game as people think

I have always found WoW to be overrated even at launch

The dlc for DNF was so funny too.

As much good as it has brought to the community. Trophies and achievements are cancer to the industry when people care more about those than the game they're playing

On 2/23/2017 at 1:29 AM, BillyHorrible said:

Here's another one of my unpopular opinions you can have a ball with: I think Jak and Daxter as a trilogy is overrated - Jak 1 was a great platformer and I think moving away from standard platforming was a mistake, and I think that Jak II especially has not aged well because of the empty city you constantly have to travel across.

I'd also remind you of my unpopular opinion that Super Mario Sunshine sucks, but that's unfair because you haven't played Super Mario 64 (and I don't know if you've ever played the classic Mario games like World) and my opinion here is clearly nostalgia based. The biggest problem I had with the game was with Bowser Jr (an annoying unnecessary replacement of the Koopalings that weirdly thinks Peach is his mother) and with Bowser being a bathtub daddy, unfortunately these problems are mashed into the climax of the game so hard (and Bowser Jr is central to the main plot) that it sours the whole experience for me. I'd probably think it's a good game if I would replay it again now (though still disliking the points mentioned above).

Bait taken. My final argument on this website. JaD Trilogy overrated? To chose this mascot series over the other two that are constantly praised to be better trilogies, is just.....  sigh. Jak II is mostly loved for its story, however Jak II still objectively and technically has a good deal of platforming (game design fact), so this misconception with little to weak platforming in Jak II (and the "empty city" remark, which is more relevant to Jak 3) is simple ignorance, period. Jak 3 is the game where it wasn't there all that often. Overall ppl hate it (Jak II). Jak 3 is liked for not being as hard, long, and difficult as Jak II (and Jak's character dev). Sly and Ratchet are stated to have better characters, platforming, and gameplay majority of the time. How about R&C is overrated?

Extra detail V

Spoiler

Ever since Uncharted 1, when Naughty Dog have been acknowledged or mentioned, you'd 95% of the time never hear Jak. It's always like "from the ppl who made Crash Bandicoot" or "these are the people who made Crash" and many variations of those. (Same fact with TLOU, except now with Uncharted inserted in alongside Crash) Furthermore, Jak is ND's weakest selling franchise. Moreover, fans of ND as a whole tend to say "Jak is a stain to ND's reputation" and/or "Jak is the only bad series ND made". The postive scores are a contradiction to what's usually negatively said about Jak.

SMS is a good game. You disliked it, but as a game, it was good. Im a technical speaker. Story wasnt the focus, and it's a Mario game lol? It's not a story driven game nor series, even if it ever tried to be. To have an issue with a plot event in a game that focuses on gameplay (mostly) and then labelling as a "bad game" because you disliked that flawed plot and/or it ruined part of the small story focus for you, is ridiculous. That's the point I was trying to make earlier, distinguishing personal dislikes and flaws from VS a bad game. Sms is not a bad game because of a flawed plot event that affected your enjoyment, it just ruined the game.... for you.... because your expectations were focused on that all small focused on area for story delivery (this isnt a book, movie, interactive movie game, or story driven).

A game is bad when most/half of its core components are badly design, theres a huge bug  that affects progression and enjoyment, and/or when the focus of the game fails to deliver. You dont label a game BAD because you disliked one specific  (small) area, but it can ruin your own entire personal exp with the game YES. Couldnt be a good game critic/reviewer with that mindeset.

Say the game is overrated... but cmon... dont call an obviously well designed game bad when there are actual examples of bad games.

Edited by Mar

• Life is Strange was boring.
  • Fallout 4 and Skyrim are not that great and are the weakest entries in their respective franchises.
  • I think the first Five Nights at Freddy's game was interesting but I think the series was ruined by its creator pushing out sequels that were basically the same game.
  • Undertale was just okay.
  • I grew up loving Pokemon and I still like Pokemon but I just find the games to be boring now and can't bring myself to finish them because I get so bored.
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, MajroasMask said:
  • Life is Strange was boring.
  • Fallout 4 and Skyrim are not that great and are the weakest entries in their respective franchises.
  • I think the first Five Nights at Freddy's game was interesting but I think the series was ruined by its creator pushing out sequels that were basically the same game.
  • Undertale was just okay.
  • I grew up loving Pokemon and I still like Pokemon but I just find the games to be boring now and can't bring myself to finish them because I get so bored.

Pretty sure most people think that Fallout 4 was the weakest in the series.

The xbox one design is actually pretty nice even though it looks like a 90's vcr

10 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Pretty sure most people think that Fallout 4 was the weakest in the series.

The xbox one design is actually pretty nice even though it looks like a 90's vcr

Really? Most people I know think it's the best or one of the best.

1. Early 3D games were revolutionary but most of them haven't aged well at all. Many people aren't ready to admit that.

2. Call of duty is not the worst series ever.

3. I don't like buying digital games that have physical copies available because i love looking at my collection :)

4. I think people who don't play new games because they want to prove a point are missing out. Same thing for people who only play new games.

5. Some gamers are extremely obnoxious and can't seem to make their own opinions hating on some games just because others do that too without playing them. Not sure if this is an opinion though ;)

Edited by scarysoldier123

The Nintendo Switch is a Jack of all trades, master of none. It's not good at being a home console due to its lacking hardware and absence of any AAA gaming support. The short battery life and poor portability make it disappointing from a handheld perspective too.

• Like 1

• The only good things about Mirror's Edge Catalyst were the art design and soundtrack.
  • Resident Evil 7 is better than Resident Evil 4.
  • Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty is an awful remake of Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee.
  • Quake 2's campaign was decent, but nothing great. Quake 1's was much better.
  • Destiny's multiplayer is mediocre.
  • DOOM 3's campaign is great, and I enjoyed it more than DOOM II's.
Edited by Jenni

On 2/23/2017 at 6:52 AM, Qu1ck57r1k3 said:

But art isn't censored, video games are censored therefore technically video games =/= art as long as it's censored in any form.

Also Metal Gear Solid 4 is the best MGS game.

Whaaat?

Do you not consider cinema art too?

Scratch that just saw the mod post about not discussing this.

Edited by HaSoOoN-MHD

• Uncharted 4's multiplayer is one of the best multiplayer experiences I have had in years playing with friends.
  • I don't mind having my butt handed to me in multiplayer, sure ill get frustrated but it is a better learning experience. 
  • I have actually enjoyed my time replaying through the Assassins Creed Ezio Collection, screw the controversy.
  • Metal Gear Solid 5 TTP is a great game. 
  • Like 1