Unpopular Video Game Opinions

AVenGer777rocks

I got a couple, may as well dumb them here.

1: An actual console & controller is better then handhelds.

2: I'm fine with how PSPlus is nowadays.

3: In my eyes, if your gameplay sucks, your game sucks.

3.1: Turn-based RPGs & Racing Sims are way too fucking boring.

3.2: Too much realism can make a game worse.

4: I'm fine with devs pushing new games in a series out yearly.

13 minutes ago, TehUberCheezCatz said:

I got a couple, may as well dumb them here.

1: An actual console & controller is better then handhelds.

2: I'm fine with how PSPlus is nowadays.

3: In my eyes, if your gameplay sucks, your game sucks.

3.1: Turn-based RPGs & Racing Sims are way too fucking boring.

3.2: Too much realism can make a game worse.

4: I'm fine with devs pushing new games in a series out yearly.

1. For those who stay inside, probably.

2. Great! I don't hear that often.

3. Totally agree with that, I don't know if it's unpopular to think that, though.

3.1. I hear that pretty often.

3.2. I don't disagree with that. Graphics just adds nothing to gameplay. Not a popular opinion, in any case.

4. I don't hear that often. Interesting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

Someone already did explain, but I don't think you two are getting my point. Don't know why you're starting the racism angle but that has nothing to do with it for me, the characters were just not likeable. The only one I cared for was the one played by Hayden (and I'm even doubting her because she hangs out with the rest), the rest immediately got on my bad side by stupid and/or annoying dialogue/actions.

Doesn't matter if the game does so intentionally, and it most definitely ruins the game for me. It's a flawed opinion that this kind of game should have both likeable and not likeable characters, of course a story like this can be created with only likeable characters (or at least less unlikeable). The Cabin In The Woods had only likeable characters and was excellent at creating tension. Scream had the main teens all likeable. Just because unlikeable teens were a stereotype in nineties horror, that shouldn't mean the genre can't live without them, and I resent the idea that I should enjoy the game for its cheesy nineties horror if I don't even care whether the characters live or die. And it's really too bad because the game had a lot going for it, the tension was excellent, but if it's stupid annoying teens who make stupid annoying decisions then I'm out, especially if the game pretends to have me make decisions but fails to give me sensible ones that I would agree with.

To summarise:

Regardless, the game certainly was not "ruined" by a few dislikable characters. The enjoyable story, horror, and atomosphere are great and delivery in a satisfying manner and make up for minor issues with the lesser important characters. And the fact anyone can die completely counters that complaint, since they can be disposed of, thus are not permanant components of the game/experience. I disliked several characters.... still enjoyed the rest of the game.. the rest of the package/content., y'know?

"Completely" ruins is either a general exaggeration or a very personal issue. Every other focused on area of the game is solid. (UD d.chars) Compared to the Sam retcon in U4 that actually ruins SEVERAL aspects of U4 [story, other characters roles, Nathan's behavior, etc], this is an exaggeration.

(Shouldn't be bashing a specific-game like this for being what it's trying to be. That's like hating me for being a gamer because you dislike gamers.)

To (correctly) summarise: The game wasnt as enjoyable as it could have been because of the dislikeable characters. 

6 hours ago, Qu1ck57r1k3 said:

1. Truth 1000%

2. It's better for some games such as RTS games but otherwise it's not all that it's cracked up to be

3. overall true

4. subjective as they still have Xenoblade chronicles, fire emblem, and pokemon

5. The original DS would like a word with you

6. Mostly true

7. Depends on the game

8. Destiny would like a word with you

9. True, with the best being AC II

10. GET. OUT!

more from me!

1. I found Uncharted 2's multiplayer to be uneeded and downright awful

2. I found Star Fox Assault to be the last good Star Fox game

3. Shadow the Hedgehog is the best character in the Sonic universe outside of Sonic himself.

4. Five Nights at Freddy's is legit a good game with a creepy back story.

This sounds interesting, I gotta know why...

Edited by Mar

56 minutes ago, Mar said:

Regardless, the game certainly was not "ruined" by a few dislikable characters. The enjoyable story, horror, and atomosphere are great and delivery in a satisfying manner and make up for minor issues with the lesser important characters. And the fact anyone can die completely counters that complaint, since they can be disposed of, thus are not permanant components of the game/experience. I disliked several characters.... still enjoyed the rest of the game.. the rest of the package/content., y'know?

"Completely" ruins is either a general exaggeration or a very personal issue. Every other focused on area of the game is solid. (UD d.chars) Compared to the Sam retcon in U4 that actually ruins SEVERAL aspects of U4 [story, other characters roles, Nathan's behavior, etc], this is an exaggeration.

(Shouldn't be bashing a specific-game like this for being what it's trying to be. That's like hating me for being a gamer because you dislike gamers.)

To (correctly) summarise: The game wasnt as enjoyable as it could have been because of the dislikeable characters. 

Well, yeah, it's just my opinion. I know it's personal, I know not everyone sees it the same way (hence my posting in the "unpopular opinions" thread). For me, the characters ruined the game. I know that many others did not mind as much or even found it fitting. For me, one unlikeable would have been fine - love to hate Cordelia in Buffy - but most of the characters, in my opinion, should be likeable and make rational decisions. I'm on Abed's side in the S3 Halloween episode of Community.

Why shouldn't I bash a specific game? Many other specific games that are regarded as popular have been bashed in this thread already. Until Dawn's failings get even more annoying to me because I'm a fan of the genre (so no I don't dislike a game like this in general,on the contrary) and many self-aware horrors before Until Dawn (like the aforementioned Scream and Cabin In The Woods) had already shown that you can make a tense thriller/horror filled with clichés without stooping to unlikeable and dumb characters. It just annoys me, and yes it ruined the experience for me especially because the game does everything else a lot better.

So yeah, I understand that what I'm saying about Until Dawn is not an opinion that many people share with me but I'm really not exaggerating when I say the characters ruined the game for me, especially because I wanted to like it so badly, and would have if not for those annoying character flaws.

1 hour ago, Mar said:

This sounds interesting, I gotta know why...

Sonic never really had anyone that can keep up him or even remotely beat him. Shadow came along and beat him down and using a never before seen power of the Chaos Emeralds. Despite him working with Robotnik often, he does have a good side to him and helps Sonic and friends when needed. In his own game, Shadow makes it clear, if you're in his way, he's going to make you have a bad time. 

No matter how hard anyone tries to convince themselves otherwise, console gaming always always ALWAYS eventually comes back around to the same thing: a TV, a non-gimmick-saddled controller you interface with two hands, and a CPU unit. Nothing short of a goddamn technological singularity that changes the rest of the planet forever is ever going to fix that.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Why shouldn't I bash a specific game? Many other specific games that are regarded as popular have been bashed in this thread already. Until Dawn's failings get even more annoying to me because I'm a fan of the genre (so no I don't dislike a game like this in general,on the contrary) and many self-aware horrors before Until Dawn (like the aforementioned Scream and Cabin In The Woods) had already shown that you can make a tense thriller/horror filled with clichés without stooping to unlikeable and dumb characters. It just annoys me, and yes it ruined the experience for me especially because the game does everything else a lot better.

Think you misunderstood my point on "specific game". From what you said, those aren't relevant concerns. Anyways, Until Dawn wasnt trying to be Cabin in the Woods, which is a fairly weak example as Until Dawn is utilizing vastly more themes, which demands more specific character types, it's more like Friday the 13th.

What genre exactly, horror or interactive drama games? Yet again, UD was purposely trying to imitate the ones focused on a cast with some annoying teens. Cabin only had 5 characters (UD has 8+) and guess why they were mostly likeable? Cause there wasnt much substance with them and they were mostly bland, average humans. Average is likeable cause it doesnt do enough bad to dislike. UD avoids similar chars with their design choice. And again, UD was trying to include all tropes from the horror genre, so justified...... meh I don't care anymore lol.

Sum- The dislikeable characters ruined your experience (you let it), but to say the "game" - as if it was a game breaking bug - is a clear exaggeration. (It's not a character's story driven game, unlike Heavy Rain, so it's by default a minor issue if you disliked the characters). The characters are irrelevant pawns, not established characters whose story is being told. The game's focus is story (choices) and  horror. Not only did those areas deliver but they made up for any other flaws with the game.

Meh. On topic UnO: PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale and Ratchet and Clank: All For One are GOOD games.

8 hours ago, Hyakulegger said:

Well, it's your fault for being so influenceable. Don't blame others. xD

--------------------

Video games ARE art.

And by that I mean not just a bunch or art put together, but there's an art of doing video games. Thus it is an art.

Truth!

But art isn't censored, video games are censored therefore technically video games =/= art as long as it's censored in any form.

Also Metal Gear Solid 4 is the best MGS game.

Just now, Qu1ck57r1k3 said:

But art isn't censored, video games are censored therefore technically video games =/= art as long as it's censored in any form.

Also Metal Gear Solid 4 is the best MGS game.

But not all video games are censored. So you can't simply say video games aren't art.

And censored art is still art, by the way.

• Like 1

Just now, Hyakulegger said:

But not all video games are censored. So you can't simply say video games aren't art.

And censored art is still art, by the way.

While true some video games are not censored, as long as even one game is censored for any reason it can never achieve true art.

Censored art is no longer true to the vision of the artist and is imperfect.

Life is Strange is the hardest platinum ever, cause feelings. 

Fighting games are actually easy to play. Just need daily dedication, and don't fear to get squashed.

Resident Evil 6 is actually good. 

E-Sport is not good.

New God of War looks awful. 

Xbox is actually a brand for 'we don't do games anymore'. RIP.

4 hours ago, Mar said:

Think you misunderstood my point on "specific game". From what you said, those aren't relevant concerns. Anyways, Until Dawn wasnt trying to be Cabin in the Woods, which is a fairly weak example as Until Dawn is utilizing vastly more themes, which demands more specific character types, it's more like Friday the 13th.

My point is though that Until Dawn would have been more enjoyable if it had tried to be a little bit more like Cabin In The Woods. Actually, a Cabin In The Woods game adaptation sounds brilliant, but only if the cellar scene will really divert you into five different games with more changes than just whatever monster is creeping up.

The movies Until Dawn does try to be like (you say Friday, I'd also mention Nightmare On Elm Street) did all also not feature only annoying characters though. I get that Until Dawn was trying to create one with Emily and I hated her with a passion but the other characters were annoying too.

4 hours ago, Mar said:

What genre exactly, horror or interactive drama games? Yet again, UD was purposely trying to imitate the ones focused on a cast with some annoying teens. Cabin only had 5 characters (UD has 8+) and guess why they were mostly likeable? Cause there wasnt much substance with them and they were mostly bland, average humans. Average is likeable cause it doesnt do enough bad to dislike. UD avoids similar chars with their design choice. And again, UD was trying to include all tropes from the horror genre, so justified...... meh I don't care anymore lol.

I meant horror but yeah I like the interactive fiction games as well. I understand that they tried to imitate horror with annoying teens, I'm just saying that's not enjoyable for me (especially in a game where I have to control the actions of said teens but very few actions are sensible ones. I didn't like TWD S2 because the game wouldn't let me speak up against the annoying characters like "fuck you and that stupid jacket you're making me wear" Bonnie). Until Dawn and Cabin In The Woods are more alike than you think - both are callbacks to the days of horror movies about teens in a cabin in the woods who make stupid choices and get killed off by evil, it's just that Until Dawn tried to go the serious route and Cabin turned way more meta.

If you think Cabin In The Woods featured only bland characters, you didn't get the point of the movie. They're being pushed into those bland roles because that's what's being expected of the genre, they exhibit way more character early on in the film than once they enter the cabin and start to be pushed into their roles.

4 hours ago, Mar said:

Sum- The dislikeable characters ruined your experience (you let it), but to say the "game" - as if it was a game breaking bug - is a clear exaggeration. (It's not a character's story driven game, unlike Heavy Rain, so it's by default a minor issue if you disliked the characters). The characters are irrelevant pawns, not established characters whose story is being told. The game's focus is story (choices) and  horror. Not only did those areas deliver but they made up for any other flaws with the game.

This is where opinion comes in again. For me, the fault in using annoying characters really was enough to ruin the game for me. Really, watch S03E05, hear Britta's first story and then hear Abed's complaints about it. That's what Until Dawn felt like to me. It's why you can enjoy Until Dawn a lot more than Cabin In The Woods while it's the other way around for me. With Cabin, the characters are still making stupid decisions but at least with them it's been pushed onto them.

I'm willing to stop here and agree to disagree, the only real reason I keep responding is because you keep saying that what I honestly feel is my true opinion can only be an exaggeration :)

Here's another one of my unpopular opinions you can have a ball with: I think Jak and Daxter as a trilogy is overrated - Jak 1 was a great platformer and I think moving away from standard platforming was a mistake, and I think that Jak II especially has not aged well because of the empty city you constantly have to travel across.

I'd also remind you of my unpopular opinion that Super Mario Sunshine sucks, but that's unfair because you haven't played Super Mario 64 (and I don't know if you've ever played the classic Mario games like World) and my opinion here is clearly nostalgia based. The biggest problem I had with the game was with Bowser Jr (an annoying unnecessary replacement of the Koopalings that weirdly thinks Peach is his mother) and with Bowser being a bathtub daddy, unfortunately these problems are mashed into the climax of the game so hard (and Bowser Jr is central to the main plot) that it sours the whole experience for me. I'd probably think it's a good game if I would replay it again now (though still disliking the points mentioned above).

"Hardcore" and "casual" gamers are, overall, pointless labels that in my experience mostly serve to act superior and exclusionary towards the "casuals" - or whoever is considered "casual" for playing the "wrong" types of games/not being into the "right" types of games.

Edited by Zanreo
  • Like 1

AAA games are overrated.

Final Fantasy 15 and Metal gear 5 suck complete ass compared to the rest of their franchises. 

There are WAY too many fps's 

Graphics<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Story, Gameplay and overal length.

Developers should put more emphasis on local coop

Pre ordering is stupid 

Consumers are just as, if not more, responsible for their bad purchase as the producers who overhype their products(like in the case of Destiny and No Man's Sky)

Console Wars are extremely stupid and childish. like fanboyism in general 

Uncharted 4 is overrated (not bad just not as great as people are making it out to be)

Finally: Never, EVER listen to an IGN review!!

Keep in mind these are just my opinions so feel free to disagree with me. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, PLEXTOR08 said:

AAA games are overrated.

Final Fantasy 15 and Metal gear 5 suck complete ass compared to the rest of their franchises. 

Pre ordering is stupid 

Consumers are just as, if not more, responsible for their bad purchase as the producers who overhype their products(like in the case of Destiny and No Man's Sky)

Uncharted 4 is overrated (not bad just not as great as people are making it out to be)

I like this guy :awesome: 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, PLEXTOR08 said:

AAA games are overrated.

Pre ordering is stupid 

Alright alright have an upvote on me.

Spoiler

W2fdJZF.gif

I don't expect nothing from a new release game i just play it by myself without expectations to have the possible joy of loving the game in the end when to begin with i didn't wasn't hyper for it at all .

The few times i got hype for a new media , like for example AC Revelations , Beyond Two Souls and the anime Occultic;Nine i got pretty dissapointed off them although others like 999 (DS) really met up my hype expectations. Anyway i don't believe the hype and generally don't pick up games at launch through pre-orders except for rare ocassions like One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 , Beyond Two Souls, Akiba's Trip Undead & Undressed and considering pre-ordering Persona 5.

5 hours ago, PLEXTOR08 said:

Pre ordering is stupid 

I agree with most of what you say but feel the need to add to this. I usually only pre-order when there's a collector's edition involved that I want, I like the statuettes and art books. I feel like that's a pretty good reason to pre-order. Also, the game stor I frequent has some nice pre-order trade-in sales from time to time.

Only standard game recently that I pre-ordered is the new Legend Of Zelda, and not without reason - first wave is already fully booked.

Pre-ordered one digital game once - The Day Of The Tentacle last year, wanted to be able to play right away and the game was downloaded a day in advance.

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

I agree with most of what you say but feel the need to add to this. I usually only pre-order when there's a collector's edition involved that I want, I like the statuettes and art books. I feel like that's a pretty good reason to pre-order. Also, the game stor I frequent has some nice pre-order trade-in sales from time to time.

Only standard game recently that I pre-ordered is the new Legend Of Zelda, and not without reason - first wave is already fully booked.

Pre-ordered one digital game once - The Day Of The Tentacle last year, wanted to be able to play right away and the game was downloaded a day in advance.

I agree that preordering isn't always bad. If there is some kind of discount, exclusive merchandise or other bonus to it and you know what to expect of the game then it's reasonable to pre order. I was mostly talking about people who base their decision to pre order on hype, unreliable pre release gameplay or empty promises by te developers (like with No Man's Sky). Like if Sean Murray promises an ENTIRE FUCKING universe it's only natural to be sceptical and wait before you blindly decide to pre order just because the game sounds awesome but for some reason people did just that. No Man's Sky is the most recent example but it happens all the time. 

I also make sure to preorder more "niche"/less popular games to be sure they even get them in stock - yeah, internet shopping is great but I still prefer picking them up in the store when I can.

Edited by Zanreo