Unpopular Video Game Opinions

AVenGer777rocks

4 hours ago, Mar said:

See... now how is this an unpopular opinion? I'm pretty sure you know nearly no-one praises this game above the prequels. Sales, fans, players, reviewers, and ratings clearly point towards the commonly agreed upon opinion that Jak X is the worse game in the main line-up, even though many people are excited about it coming to PS4 (as can be seen on PSB and Youtube videos).

It's just something that I remember discussing with some people and they disagreed. I haven't checked all sales, fans, players, reviewers, and ratings.

4 hours ago, Mar said:

I want to touch upon why I disagree however. We know JaD1 succeeded in being the (1st) Fully 3D, Seamless Open-world, Platformer, Collect-a-thon game that it was aiming to be. This is what makes it a nearly perfect game in terms of execution and concept.

Long story short, Jak II and especially Jak 3 had some trouble with the execution of their new additions (one major for both games: Jak II's flawed shooting mechanics, Jak 3's reliance on having a large amount of mini games to add length to the campaign... regardless because the game was rushed).

However, with Jak X, similar to TPL, it only had one major genre to focus on -- racing. Because of the pure racing concept, the game-sequel didn't have any remote similar amount or addition of issues that JII and J3 had. It, actually, refined and tightened the driving controls of the partially flawed driving physics/gameplay with J3's Buggies, and improved upon every other racing related elements that J3 brought with the buggies. There were no steps backwards. It's only goal was to be a racer. The final product, was a great racing game with about the same amount of issues as the first Jak game  

Jak and Daxter 1

• Easy and telegraphed boss fights
  • Lack of general difficulty -- weak combat
  • Non-skippable cut-scenes 
  • Bland protagonist (Yooka and Laylee are being criticized for the same-thing, except only Jak was criticized in JaD1, Daxter was praised however) 
  • Etc

Jak X

• Potential best weapon pick up when in earlier places
  • Leftover currency that isn't used, isn't stored
  • No Light Eco implementation :awesome:
  • Slightly non-balanced dynamic-scripting via 1st place
  • Etc
  Hide contents

I just really love this objective based or styled review.

Unlike J2 and J3, JX's gameplay didn't have multiple concepts that were just passable or limited. It's faithfully a well designed racer - good track design, good drifting mechanics, good control, good car customization, good game-play variety - thoroughly. So as far as execution and concepts go, Jak X, like JaD1, did a great job as well, better than the full designs of J2 and J3.

Just want to stress this is completely different from which J.games are the most fun and best games (too many people misinterpret my points). Just because of J1&X's more concentrated design consistency, doesn't necessarily make them the best games in the series, my only points were stating how 1/X are the better designed games from a concept (genres) and execution perspective.

You're entitled to your opinion, however, this does not change my mind about Jak 1 being boring and repetitive and Jak X being terrible.

7 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Are these really 'unpopular opinions' though? I think most people will completely agree with you on these three opinions :).

In discussions that I've participated my opinion usually belonged to the minority.

• Like 1

Jak X and Ratchet Deadlocked are both fucking awful games. 

I don't know why the fuck either developer thought it was a good idea to make a game out of the racing stuff from Jak 3 and the Arena stuff from Ratchet and Clank. Arena challenges were a fun side thing to do in Ratchet and Clank games, but it certainly wasn't something worth making a game out of. Same thing can be said with Jak X. 

Edited by Ratchet
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

It's just something that I remember discussing with some people and they disagreed. I haven't checked all sales, fans, players, reviewers, and ratings.

You're entitled to your opinion, however, this does not change my mind about Jak 1 being boring and repetitive and Jak X being terrible.

So.. you've spoke with several people who told you Jak X is is their favorite and/or best in the franchise, not just that they like the game? Generally, I dont think a few disagreements warrants an opinion like this (unless youre truly unaware of the franchise's receptions with its games) on this particular thread. Because it's literally impossible for every single gamer to like or dislike even a single game. If it all takes is a few disagreements to post any opinion here.. then any opinion would be looked at as unpopular. You'd have to be extremely disconnected from the franchise to list that specific Jak post you made, cause again, it's already widely accepted as the worse installment made by Naughty Dog.  

Well J1 is understandable for several reasons. There isnt even any other difficulty modes (like Hero Mode), and there's literally nothing left to do after collecting everything, among other things. Going to spare you the potential text wall though. Though that J1 statement would have been a more appropriate UO to list over the JX statement tho.

Edited by Mar

34 minutes ago, Ratchet said:

Jak X and Ratchet Deadlocked are both fucking awful games. 

I don't know why the fuck either developer thought it was a good idea to make a game out of the racing stuff from Jak 3 and the Arena stuff from Ratchet and Clank. Arena challenges were a fun side thing to do in Ratchet and Clank games, but it certainly wasn't something worth making a game out of. Same thing can be said with Jak X. 

Exactly this.

20 minutes ago, Mar said:

So.. you've spoke with several people who told you Jak X is is their favorite and/or best in the franchise, not just that they like the game? Generally, I dont think a few disagreements warrants an opinion like this (unless youre truly unaware of the franchise's receptions with its games) on this particular thread. Because it's literally impossible for every single gamer to like or dislike even a single game. If it all takes is a few disagreements to post any opinion here.. then any opinion would be looked at as unpopular. You'd have to be extremely disconnected from the franchise to list that specific Jak ppst you made, cause again, it's already widely accepted as the worse one made by Naughty Dog.  

Well J1 is understandable for several reasons. There isnt even any other difficulty mode (like Hero Mode), and there's literally nothing left to do after collecting everything. Going to spare you the potential text wall though. Though that J1 statement would have been a more appropriate UO to list over the JX statement

You forgot to embed a link in the underlined part.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

You forgot to embed a link in the underlined part.

No I meant this thread that we're on right now. The underline was just used as emphasis, since im misunderstood very often.

On 2/22/2017 at 3:56 AM, BillyHorrible said:

:ninja: ... I am really satisfied with the PS+ games. I pay for PS+ only for those games and I feel like I'm really getting my money's worth.

I just imagine you sheepishly standing in the corner whispering this hoping that no one hears you. But I do agree with you xD

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TristanBrown17 said:

I just imagine you sheepishly standing in the corner whispering this hoping that no one hears you. But I do agree with you xD

I'm not completely sure but this may be the the longest time a post of mine has ever had between posting and responding :)

Cards on the table though, some time after that post I decided to do a big post here with many opinions and that one was part of it again.

Well then, as long as I'm here anyway, shall I post one of my opinions again?

I think I haven't done this one yet: Sony and Microsoft keep making the HUGE mistake of not putting more focus on two to four player couch co-op games and Nintendo refusing to move on from those games to only online multiplayer is one of the reasons why I now immediately consider the Switch to be my main console and the PS4 to be my side console.

I get annoyed with online multiplayer and I often ignore it if it gets added to a single player game I want to play (check if you want, I didn't even bother with the super easy MP trophies in Uncharted 4 or DOOM). On the other hand, I can't keep count of how many weekends I've spent with others playing Mario Kart or Party or other games, starting on the N64 and continuing through the GC and the Wii.

There's a couple of games my wife can play along with me on my PS4 and PS3 (and before on my X360). We mostly play LEGO games (which are available for Nintendo consoles as well), and the occasional 2D platformer but the only platformers I can recall playing with her on the PlayStation side were Never Alone and Trine 2 and those were not nearly as fun as playing Donkey Kong Country Returns, or Snipperclips.

I have a nice PS4/PS3 backlog, and there will still be exclusives and PS+ games to play, and I'll definitely keep playing big graphics games on PS4 instead of Switch, but I already bought Shovel Knight on the Switch even though it can be played with trophies on PS4, and I can see this happening more often. The Switch is the console I'm going to use for couch multiplayer weekends and that's one of the two most important reasons of why I've made it my main console (the other reason being it can be used as a handheld).

• Like 2

I'm a PlayStation person, but I don't mind the Xbox side of things, as in, I don't go around calling it Xbone for whatever reason, I respect the other console quite a bit (in fact, I'm jealous of some of the games they have that we don't have, sucks I can't afford an Xbox One either).

Also, gaming should be consoles only.  I really hate how people say that games are better on PC, like, aiming with a mouse and all that, it's as if they're all up themselves so to speak  Whenever I hear that sort of thing, I just groan to myself, especially since I've never understood why people can't aim with a controller.  I prefer to play a game with a controller and have zero trouble aiming correctly in a shooter game with said controller.  PC Master Race my ass.

2 hours ago, DrakeHellsing said:

I'm a PlayStation person, but I don't mind the Xbox side of things, as in, I don't go around calling it Xbone for whatever reason

Huh, I always just considered "Xbone" a short form of the name, didn't see it as necessary insulting. (Xboner, on the other hand...)

1 hour ago, Zanreo said:

Huh, I always just considered "Xbone" a short form of the name, didn't see it as necessary insulting. (Xboner, on the other hand...)

Yeah I often call it the Xbone without meaning harm as well. I'm not going to say "ex box one" constantly, I'm also never taling about my "play station four" or my "Super nintendo entertainment system".

18 hours ago, DrakeHellsing said:

I'm a PlayStation person, but I don't mind the Xbox side of things, as in, I don't go around calling it Xbone for whatever reason, I respect the other console quite a bit (in fact, I'm jealous of some of the games they have that we don't have, sucks I can't afford an Xbox One either).

Also, gaming should be consoles only.  I really hate how people say that games are better on PC, like, aiming with a mouse and all that, it's as if they're all up themselves so to speak  Whenever I hear that sort of thing, I just groan to myself, especially since I've never understood why people can't aim with a controller.  I prefer to play a game with a controller and have zero trouble aiming correctly in a shooter game with said controller.  PC Master Race my ass.

FPS is objectively better with a mouse and keyboard. You can prefer controllers which is fine; they work but it is simply impossible to match that same precision m+kb gives you. There is a reason you don't see controllers going up against a mouse at pro level competitions because one completely outstrips the other.

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot about these opinions of mine, directed more at specific games, pardon if I've said them before:

• Peace Walker is one of, if not the best MGS game (alongside MGS3).

• Persona 3 is not as good as Persona 4 (neither of them are as good as P5 though so it doesn't *really* matter :) ).

• Half-Life 2 is average (personally wouldn't care if they ever released HL3).

• Ocarina of Time is also average, not nearly the best Zelda game. Twilight Princess and a Wind Waker are my favorites (so my personal series best).

• GTA is overrated.

• Pokemon Black/White are two of the best games in the series. I think they're highly underrated, in fact. And that generation 1 is nothing to write home about.

Edited by Waffle-Sensei
  • Like 1

A couple things:

• To join in on the Jak and Daxter hubbub, Jak 2 is my least favorite JnD game. That doesn't mean I dislike it, I did spend like a decade disliking it because of how it changed the series from this awesome collectathon platformer to this weak darker and edgier GTA clone with mediocre gunplay, but I recently softened my opinion of it quite a bit. It manages to recapture some sense of brevity and lightness to it by the end of the game, and it forges its own identity outside of its grimdark beginning stages - but even then, it's my least favorite Jak game. Compared to Jak 3, it feels clunky to play in several aspects - the hoverboard, the gunplay, the racing minigames etc. I don't think the music is as good as the other games, Jak X included. The story is kinda cool, but again - I prefer Jak 3 in that regard. Even as my least favorite in the series, I still like Jak 2 - don't think that I don't.

• Also, I like Jak X for a few reasons. It rerails the Jak/Keira pairing that Jak 3 tried to throw off - possibly due to Keira's original VA leaving in that game and being replaced by Tara Strong - the music is awesome, the story is goofy fun, the extras you can buy are all pretty rad and I like the old save bonuses for the Jak and Daxter games and Ratchet Deadlocked. I'm not as much of a fan of it any more, but with its music alone I still prefer it in some ways over Jak 2.

• Moving away from all that - Final Fantasy 6. I cannot play Final Fantasy 6. I'm sure it's a great game in some aspects, it seems technically ambitious and the music is really good, but it's overhyped as hell and I can't get into it because of that. I don't like the opening to the game, I can't get into it, and even as I've played on a bit further (up to the Phantom Train part) I just haven't enjoyed the game all that much. Every step of the way that I kinda enjoy, I feel like I should be enjoying this more and I keep thinking of all the fans who are like "ff6 is the best game that you'll ever play and you're not a true JRPG fan if you don't like it", and it just puts me off. This is more of a me thing if anything, but it's a thing nonetheless. It has its place in gaming history or w/e, but I don't like Final Fantasy 6. At the very least, I don't like playing it.

• Pokemon Emerald is the best Pokemon game, bar none. My least favorite gen is Gen 4, and I haven't progressed past that point - but I'm sure Gen 5 and above are better. The Sinnoh games have a long, hackneyed story full of "You can't go down this road, there's a blackout!" and such, the fog mechanic blows chunks and I just think it's a long-winded, overblown mess of a game. Pokemon Emerald, on the other hand, combines two storylines to create this goofy team rivalry storyline, has its blockades like any Pokemon game but isn't obnoxious about it, and even with the clone pokemon (gulpin and swalot for grimer and muk, for example) I really like thePokemon - Trapinch's evolutionary line is my favorite. Gen 4 had good pokemon, I liked the designs, but that's about it - the rest of it felt like busywork. I especially dislike the drop in framerate...? I dunno, Gen 4 just feels slower and less smooth in its presentation than Gen 3.

On 4/13/2017 at 0:48 AM, BillyHorrible said:

I'm not completely sure but this may be the the longest time a post of mine has ever had between posting and responding :)

Cards on the table though, some time after that post I decided to do a big post here with many opinions and that one was part of it again.

Lol. My activity on the forums fluctuates with my studies, so there was a lot to read! :facepalm:

Steam has almost put me off PC gaming.

I think San Andreas is the worst GTA. I hate Los Santos, I hate San Fierro, I hate 95% of Las Venturas (the desert was neat) I hate CJ, I hate his family, I hate his friends, I hate feeding him, I hate the whole "respect" thing, I hate being surrounded by characters who think a run down, piece of shit neighbourhood is something to fight over.

I didn't mind not playing as Snake for most of Metal Gear Solid 2. I thought it was kinda cool seeing him from someone else's perspective.