Unpopular Video Game Opinions

AVenGer777rocks

2 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

1) Western games are inferior to anything Japan produces.

That's not an opinion. It's called fan-boyism.

2) Graphics is not the most important part of game.

Completely agreed.

3) Indies are superior to AAA games.

Ok. It's your opinion. That's cool.

4) Multiplayer is NOT important part of game and should never be more prominent than single player

Don't kill E-sports! Murderer!

5.1) Youtube 'personas' are NOT valid reviewers)

Not necessarily debating that. But why?

6) Watching Let's Play is not the same as playing the game

Obviously. Nobody should say otherwise.

7) Remasters of the one generation old games are pointless

Yes! *claps*

8) Not everything must be on PCmustardrace platform

*continues clapping*

9) Playing a game with your own music is bad. BG is in game for a reason.

Depends what game. Not every game is a movie or an anime. For those who play long sessions of games like Street Fighter, you obviously gonna want to put your own music at some point.

10) SKIPPING VISUAL NOVELS IS A DISGRACE

Skipping anything sucks. Mostly.

And something about the so-called brilliant story games from west :awesome: 

Life is Strange is an over-Americanized poorly written teenage drama that probably only Americans can appreciate fully.

I think Life is Strange is a French production. And everybody knows that French people does cheesy things (pun non-intended)!!! xD

I would assume that French people probably like it more than Americans do.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

That was somewhat true in the 80s and 90s. As Keiji Inafune said in 2009: “Japan is over. We're done. Our game industry is finished.”

Unfortunately that goes for the majority of Japanese popculture, especially anime. The glory of 70s, 80s and 90s "Japanimation" is now forever buried under truckloads of Moe fanfiction and dakimakuras.

Hmm, I wonder if this counts as an unpopular opinion... ;)

Edited by ShadowReplicant
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Asvinia said:

Hmm, let's see.

1. Hatsune Miku is terrible. Terrible games, terrible music, but the characters are pretty, aside from the twins.

2. Final Fantasy and MGS are overrated, they were good for their time, but there's better out now. They have not aged well.

3. Breath of Fire is underrated and better than FF1.

4. FFVII Remake will be a HUUUUGE disappointment and will only sell because of nostalgia. I expect it to be barely an upgrade from FFXIII.

5. Injecting the LBGT agenda does not automatically make a game good.

6. Nioh is better than Dark Souls.

7. Kojima likes to think he's some mysterious God of games but in reality just has a huge ego and is only well known because everyone has their 90s nostalgia goggles on.

8. Raichu is cuter than Pikachu.

9. Flareon is best Eeveelution. Come at me bro.

Edit: Another unpopular opinion I've formed with the hype around Horizon, is that female characters are usually very forced and badly written. They either have some wannabe dudebro attitude or are weak and feeble, never in between.

Im not suppose to be doing this, but it's hard to resist. (Here I cum..)

9. No, Glaceon/Espeon is best eeveelution. Stay in your place.

Aloy hasn't shown any sign of those. May'be Nariko did (dude bro?), but Aloy is one of the more balanced (clearly not Korra, Lilth, or Ellie). "Never in-between" is clearly a hyberbole. And women are generally weak/feeble even if they are strong. That's a natural human design component of females, a (identifiable) feminine trait, just like male protagonist usually being tanky.

Madison from Heavy Rain, and Lara from Tomb Raider from what I heard of her background and feats (haven't played her games, but apparantly is a stronger character than Nathan Drake), are also well written imo.

7 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Came to read bashing of Japanese games.

Was not disappointed.

Okay, here I go.

4) Multiplayer is NOT important part of game and should never be more prominent than single player

5) Reviews do not mean a thing

5.1) Youtube 'personas' are NOT valid reviewers

(Who did not expect #10? :awesome:

And something about the so-called brilliant story games from west :awesome: 

Life is Strange is an over-Americanized poorly written teenage drama that probably only Americans can appreciate fully.

Heavy Rain is a badly written 'detective' story that breaks all detective stories rules. (Beyond Two Souls >>>>> Heavy Rain)

Oh boy, now im motivated cause of my first reply. Crap.

2. This is common sense, and a fact. That comment doesn't belong here.

4. This is a legitimately ridiculous claim. Like without even going/thinking in-depth, this is on the surface non-sense. The fact that families is a thing justifies MP heavy or focused games. In this world/life, we're not all single siblings nor do we originally live or grow up single. Theres also friends (includings GF/BF, other relatives, friend's friends, so fourth). Just an extremely one-sided, nonsensical idea -- catering to one group only when another group exist. (Id usually go into more detail.)

So you talk about "brillant story driven games" and list Life is Strange and Heavy Rain but don't list the world's most praised story driven series, Uncharted?

21 hours ago, kuuhaku said:

That's not an unpopular opinion. Even HDN fans know it sucks.

Huh, I must have missed the memo on that. Sure the series started rather bad but it has gotten better over time. It's in my top 15 favorite franchises now.

8 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

5) Reviews do not mean a thing

5.1) Youtube 'personas' are NOT valid reviewers

1) Mostly true

2) True

3) You activated my trap card: F*** OUTTA HERE; activate when someone says some dumb ass thing

4) Very true

5) it can be helpful in determining if a game is either flawed, great, or a pile of poo

5.1) they are usually more real than reviewers in magazines/web sites

6.) True, but I still watch them

7) to a point unless it's a collection or a remaster of a hard to find game

8) True

9) no comment

10) QUOTE FOR TRUTH

now for a few of my own opinions

1) Shadow the Hedgehog was an okay game and it doesn't deserve the hate it gets

2) Mobile gaming needs to die now before it eventually ruins all of gaming

2.1) If you consider mobile gaming to be gaming, you're the part of the reason gaming is dying

3) The Final Fantasy VII reimagining is setting itself up for failure

4) I feel that Final Fantasy XII is the true worst game in the series

5) I find the hype for many AAA games to be unwarranted as they usually fail to deliver a non buggy game that is broken and clearly needed several more months of development time (see anything by U̻̬̩͉͋̎́b̝͗ͨͧͮ͒̕i͈̠̖͙̭̔s̭̥̠̯̈͝o̧̝̮̯̦͂ͤ̏̈́͊ͅf͍̖͔̬̫͒̾͘t҉͚͎̝̲ )

6) I enjoyed Ratchet Deadlock more than the first three games

7) I enjoy turnbased JRPGs more than action RPGs.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Qu1ck57r1k3 said:

Huh, I must have missed the memo on that. Sure the series started rather bad but it has gotten better over time. It's in my top 15 favorite franchises now.

1) Mostly true

2) True

3) You activated my trap card: F*** OUTTA HERE; activate when someone says some dumb ass thing

4) Very true

5) it can be helpful in determining if a game is either flawed, great, or a pile of poo

5.1) they are usually more real than reviewers in magazines/web sites

6.) True, but I still watch them

7) to a point unless it's a collection or a remaster of a hard to find game

8) True

9) no comment

10) QUOTE FOR TRUTH

now for a few of my own opinions

1) Shadow the Hedgehog was an okay game and it doesn't deserve the hate it gets

2) Mobile gaming needs to die now before it eventually ruins all of gaming

2.1) If you consider mobile gaming to be gaming, you're the part of the reason gaming is dying

3) The Final Fantasy VII reimagining is setting itself up for failure

4) I feel that Final Fantasy XII is the true worst game in the series

5) I find the hype for many AAA games to be unwarranted as they usually fail to deliver a non buggy game that is broken and clearly needed several more months of development time (see anything by U̻̬̩͉͋̎́b̝͗ͨͧͮ͒̕i͈̠̖͙̭̔s̭̥̠̯̈͝o̧̝̮̯̦͂ͤ̏̈́͊ͅf͍̖͔̬̫͒̾͘t҉͚͎̝̲ )

6) I enjoyed Ratchet Deadlock more than the first three games

7) I enjoy turnbased JRPGs more than action RPGs.

Even 10-2 is better than that....thing

1. Dead or Alive is actually a good fighting game when you get past all of the fanservice.

2. The classic mega man games suck. The X series did everything better

3. Super Mario Sunshine is a terrible game.

4. Xenosaga only has 2 games.

5. Chrono Cross is better than Trigger

6. Symphony of the Night does Metroid better than Super Metroid

7. I don't consider games to be art

8. I don't consider walking simulators to be games

Edited by SnowxSakura

3 hours ago, Mar said:

9. No, Glaceon/Espeon is best eeveelution. Stay in your place.

Aloy hasn't shown any sign of those. May'be Nariko did (dude bro?), but Aloy is one of the more balanced (clearly not Korra, Lilth, or Ellie). "Never in-between" is clearly a hyberbole. And women are generally weak/feeble even if they are strong. That's a natural human design component of females, a (identifiable) feminine trait, just like male protagonist usually being tanky.

Madison from Heavy Rain, and Lara from Tomb Raider from what I heard of her background and feats (haven't played her games, but apparantly is a stronger character than Nathan Drake), are also well written imo.

Flareon would melt or burn both of those, :P Flareon is clearly the superior evolution by fluffiness points alone.

I agree with you about Madison and Lara.

But Aloy fits my idea from what I've seen of her (which admittedly, is quite limited). They're either the gruff, abrupt decision-makers and don't deviate from that or they're centered around feelings. I can't recall many female characters who are able to be abrupt decision-makers, but also show a softer side when something upsets her as a character, or even if she just finds something cute. It's bad when the game with the most varied (imo) female characters is Borderlands, or even Until Dawn had a good variety, even if they were all for-giggles stereotypes of bad horror flicks lol

I didn't intend for you to take all my words quite so literally, and of course we're not tarring all characters with the same brush. I would just like more variety in the personalities of female characters. 'Sexy' is also not a character trait while we're at it lol which a lot of devs get stuck on.

Oh, Claire and Jill from the Resi series are decent characters and Ripley in Alien Isolation, Bioshock Infinite's Elizabeth isn't a terrible character either imo. Bioshock's Tenenbaum(sp?) was also quite interesting I thought. Actually, now I think about it, it's only really Japanese games that suffer from boobily stereotypes. Huh, I don't even know what my point was anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asvinia said:

Flareon would melt or burn both of those, :P Flareon is clearly the superior evolution by fluffiness points alone.

I agree with you about Madison and Lara.

Hide contents

But Aloy fits my idea from what I've seen of her (which admittedly, is quite limited). They're either the gruff, abrupt decision-makers and don't deviate from that or they're centered around feelings. I can't recall many female characters who are able to be abrupt decision-makers, but also show a softer side when something upsets her as a character, or even if she just finds something cute. It's bad when the game with the most varied (imo) female characters is Borderlands, or even Until Dawn had a good variety, even if they were all for-giggles stereotypes of bad horror flicks lol

I didn't intend for you to take all my words quite so literally, and of course we're not tarring all characters with the same brush. I would just like more variety in the personalities of female characters. 'Sexy' is also not a character trait while we're at it lol which a lot of devs get stuck on.

Oh, Claire and Jill from the Resi series are decent characters and Ripley in Alien Isolation, Bioshock Infinite's Elizabeth isn't a terrible character either imo. Bioshock's Tenenbaum(sp?) was also quite interesting I thought. Actually, now I think about it, it's only really Japanese games that suffer from boobily stereotypes. Huh, I don't even know what my point was anymore.

No seriously, Espeon could literally fling Flareon around, and send its flames right back at it lol. Flareon is fluffiest, but Espeon is more majestic and cool and interesting and powerful ;)               Come at me sis

The thing about Aloy is while that decision part is half true, it's because of the RPG element. And that's maybe only during side missions/quest. As you should have saw in many videos, there are are cutscenes and a story that revolves around her own character without interaction from the player. Aloy even went through a redesign so she has a more feminine looking face (her original design was a turn off like hell) instead of looking like a dike or whatever a more appropriate word is (my vocabulary is trash). Also, Aloy definitely does get upset. She has personality, she's not 1 or 2 dimensional.

Borderlands was a bad example, it's why I said what I did about Lilth. You should hate Lilth. She's poorly written in game (and outside iirc), she's stubborn, hot-headed, was the cause of some catastrophe that I cant remember, she's clearly "dude-bro" with her sexual, perverted comments and non-existent cute/girly/adorable side, etc. Wait, unless you was supporting my point with Borderlands?

So your thoughts on Kat, Fetch, Zinnia, and Lightning? (Yes sexy isnt a trait, but.. uh..) Lol.

I thought of Amanda. I didn't think you'd like her, since she's weak and feeble. She also seemed 1 or 2 dimensional for the most part.

Edited by Mar

5 minutes ago, Mar said:

[snip]

Flareon is still fluffiest so uh.. Flareon wins lol I can just imagine snuggling it. So warm. It makes me think of the chairman of the Pokemon Fanclub in Red/Blue that loves Rapidash too much.

I didn't know that, I'll have to watch more vids on it then. Maybe I'll wait until release and make a proper decision.

I mentioned Borderlands for it's variety of females. Yeah Lilith is kinda meh, there's also Tiny Tina, Moxxie, and the uh.. large woman I can't remember the name of. There's variety in the women, even if Moxxie is the sexy/nothing else type. It's been a while since I played any Borderlands though, so I could be completely wrong.

I haven't played the games either Kat or Fetch are in so I can't comment, but I think Lightning was terrible, I don't think people were wrong when they called her a female Cloud.

I kind of liked Amanda because she was a product of her situation. She went though anger, surprise, fear but also showed concern for the people that were getting killed, and was able to get herself around the ship even though there was an alien looking for her and she knew she was alone. I know if I were in that situation I would've curled up in a locker and died of starvation.

35 minutes ago, Asvinia said:

Flareon is still fluffiest so uh.. Flareon wins lol I can just imagine snuggling it. So warm. It makes me think of the chairman of the Pokemon Fanclub in Red/Blue that loves Rapidash too much.

I didn't know that, I'll have to watch more vids on it then. Maybe I'll wait until release and make a proper decision.

I mentioned Borderlands for it's variety of females. Yeah Lilith is kinda meh, there's also Tiny Tina, Moxxie, and the uh.. large woman I can't remember the name of. There's variety in the women, even if Moxxie is the sexy/nothing else type. It's been a while since I played any Borderlands though, so I could be completely wrong.

I haven't played the games either Kat or Fetch are in so I can't comment, but I think Lightning was terrible, I don't think people were wrong when they called her a female Cloud.

I kind of liked Amanda because she was a product of her situation. She went though anger, surprise, fear but also showed concern for the people that were getting killed, and was able to get herself around the ship even though there was an alien looking for her and she knew she was alone. I know if I were in that situation I would've curled up in a locker and died of starvation.

Espeon can save you from actual deadly threats and natural disasters, so Espeon wins :> Flareon is nothing but a redundant cuddle stuffed object.

Yeah, also make sure to buy the game Day 1.

But when was this about variety? Thought it was about personalities?

I highly recommend you do. You've missed out silly Vinia. Damn, too bad, cause she's hot.

Product of her situation = forced? Or may'be not. With the helping thing though that's not part of an emotion. Guess youre right about those 3, I just dont remember her feeling all 3 of those often. Ill have to revisit AI again soon yo.

Edited by Mar

32 minutes ago, Mar said:

Espeon can save you from actual deadly threats and natural disasters, so Espeon wins :> Flareon is nothing but a redundant cuddle stuffed object.

Yeah, also make sure to buy the game Day 1.

But when was this about variety? Thought it was about personalities?

I highly recommend you do. You've missed out silly Vinia. Damn, too bad, cause she's hot.

Product of her situation = forced? Or may'be not. With the helping thing though that's not part of an emotion. Guess youre right about those 3, I just dont remember her feeling all 3 of those often. Ill have to revisit AI again soon yo.

- But it's a warm, cute, cuddly stuffed object. True that Flareon would be more likely to cause those disasters :<

- I'm too poor :(

- Yeah I was getting at variety in personalities, they don't all use the same personality checkboxes, even though the large woman is a hillbilly stereotype iirc. I dunno, it just seemed a bit fresher from bitch woman, sexy woman and whiny stupid woman.

- I do intend to get to them someday.. someday lol

- I'm not sure how to explain it well, it felt like she was how she was because of the situation she was in. That at the beginning it says she was stubborn and demanded she be on the flight to find her mother. Which is stubborness but also concern for family. Then she dealt with all the stuff in AI, felt angry/sad when the last dude got his face hugged, and managed to get herself out and she had a (realistic imo) reaction when she was betrayed and when the ending uh.. happened how it did. Absolute despair. All that makes me feel like she was a bit more human.

3 minutes ago, Asvinia said:

- But it's a warm, cute, cuddly stuffed object. True that Flareon would be more likely to cause those disasters :<

- I'm too poor :(

- Yeah I was getting at variety in personalities, they don't all use the same personality checkboxes, even though the large woman is a hillbilly stereotype iirc. I dunno, it just seemed a bit fresher from bitch woman, sexy woman and whiny stupid woman.

- I do intend to get to them someday.. someday lol

- I'm not sure how to explain it well, it felt like she was how she was because of the situation she was in. That at the beginning it says she was stubborn and demanded she be on the flight to find her mother. Which is stubborness but also concern for family. Then she dealt with all the stuff in AI, felt angry/sad when the last dude got his face hugged, and managed to get herself out and she had a (realistic imo) reaction when she was betrayed and when the ending uh.. happened how it did. Absolute despair. All that makes me feel like she was a bit more human.

- Lol. Yup ^-^

- That's really unfortunate.....

- Well dang O_o (rofl)

- You better, seriously... SERIOUSLY!

- Yeah ill have to replay that game lol

• Like 1

1. I truly, truly do not understand the hype surrounding Naughty Dog or any of their games. In my opinion, they seem fairly average at best. I will say the same for Bethesda as well.

2. Nintendo and all their new ideas in regards to their gaming systems (the Switch being both a handheld and a home console, the 3DS' 3D, the Wii U's gamepad, etc.) are all unique and I applaud them for always being open to trying something new. Don't know if this is really an unpopular opinion or not, I just know a good portion of people like to shit on Nintendo for some reason.

3. English dubs in video games (and I guess this could go for anime too but I don't watch any of it anymore) are great and I always feel bad for any English voice actors who get shit just for trying their best and doing their jobs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

That's an insult to Jar Jar Binks. It's the Action 52 of the series

That's an insult to action 52. It's more like the Batman and Robin of the series.

More opinions:

1) I find Arkham City to not be as good as the first game.

2) Assassin's Creed hasn't impressed me since AC2

3) While a fine game, Halo is overrated

10 hours ago, Asvinia said:

Everyone knows that Flareon is the worst Eeveelution by all criteria =D 

Sure, with Physical/Special split helped it a bit, but even with it, it's completely unusable =D

17 minutes ago, Hyakulegger said:

That is no unpopular opinion. Everybody's shitting on FF12 in unison.

On the contrary I loved Final Fantasy XII. 

My unpopular opinion is that FFVII, in contrast to my opinion of XII, is hot garbage.

Edited by AnimeDreama
  • Like 2