Unpopular Video Game Opinions

AVenGer777rocks

This may be a bit generic because nearly everyone has said it in this thread..which is a bit ironic.

For all the work that goes into each and every AC, they always come of as boring and underwhelming, I will elaborate. There's a massive amount of content that'll constantly keep you doing "something", but that's all these "side activities" attempt to do, they're uninspired, lazy, boring, and plain awful. They attempt to re-create these historic periods of time..but with little incentive to explore, overall boring design, and lack of visual reference material which builds a disconnection immediately. The story doesn't make any sense, it's a clusterfuck of retarded concepts being thrown around a simple premise, oh, and the characters have literally NO personality, even Ezio who is supposed to be this renaissance man. People always say that Ac2 is the best of the series, well if that's the truth, then I guess the series is entirely shit, Ac2 had horrible mechanics, the entire game felt like a damn tutorial, and to top it the rest of my complaints about the entire series also apply to this game.

Death already said this, but I've been wanting Manhunt 3 for years

Deadly Premonition was awesome, this game was completely broken but yet it completely worked, the game was full of life, the inspiration from Twin Peaks was welcome, York is awesome, and dammit THE COFFEE SAYS IT ALL ZACH

• Like 1

I loved the multiplayer in Bioshock 2 and Assassins Creed Brotherhood. I cannot stand the multiplayer in The Last of Us.

The Walking Dead is not a game, it's an animated choose your own adventure book at best.

Tekken is a better (the best?) fighting game than Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat.

Skyrim was amazingly average. On that note so was Mass Effect 2.

Nintendo should cut the cord with consoles and just develop games for the big dogs.

The Walking Dead is not a game, it's an animated choose your own adventure book at best.

I see people post this often...can I ask you to explain yourself.

I mean if you think it isn't a game because you move around an area and press buttons when you are prompted to, then by that rationale can't most games be classified as that?

I mean take Final Fantasy 6 (one of the highest regarded RPGs of all time). You move around an area and when you encounter an enemy you press A a couple of times and the battle is over (much like when a horde of Walkers come at you and you press X a bunch of times).

Or what about Guitar Hero? Would you consider that a game? I mean all you are doing is pressing button prompts when the notes hit the bottom of the screen? How is Walking Dead or Heavy Rain any less of a game than that? In fact both of those games offer more to do than Guitar Hero.

See people make that joke about games like Heavy Rain or Walking Dead all the time but don't actually think about what they are saying. I mean the Point and Click adventure genre was HUGE on the PC...but I guess Myst isn't a game either? Right :)

• Like 3

I mean if you think it isn't a game because you move around an area and press buttons when you are prompted to, then by that rationale can't most games be classified as that?

I mean take Final Fantasy 6 (one of the highest regarded RPGs of all time). You move around an area and when you encounter an enemy you press A a couple of times and the battle is over (much like when a horde of Walkers come at you and you press X a bunch of times).

Or what about Guitar Hero? Would you consider that a game? I mean all you are doing is pressing button prompts when the notes hit the bottom of the screen? How is Walking Dead or Heavy Rain any less of a game than that? In fact both of those games offer more to do than Guitar Hero.

See people make that joke about games like Heavy Rain or Walking Dead all the time but don't actually think about what they are saying. I mean the Point and Click adventure genre was HUGE on the PC...but I guess Myst isn't a game either? Right :)

I agree with you here and over what other people have previously posted. The Walking Dead, and The Wolf Among Us (both are great comics btw) are two of the better GAMES to come out in the last few years. Although, it was a niche genre before TellTale popularized it, so it's not for everyone. If people think these aren't games I hope they don't play a Visual Novel.

Edited by AVenGer777rocks

• Street Fighter is highly overrated & is quite possibly the least balanced & worst fighting game franchise available, not to mention a cash grab.

I felt that one.

4795759.jpg

I agree with the cash grab portion of your comment. The balancing isn't really bad in Ultra though, with the way the game has progressed and the cast has grown, it has definitely become a game of match-ups but I wouldn't say that's a bad thing. And how is it worse than something like Smash 4 and MK9? Both being games that lack depth and have a low skill ceiling (I own both and I enjoy them, I'm just making a point). 

Edited by Dark_Tooth69
  • Like 1

- ICO is a terrible game, feels more like a tech-demo. I've played both the original PS2 version and the HD "face-lift;" never witnessed an A.I as bad as Yorda's, I had her run into walls and into Shadows' arms way too often.

- Shadow of the Colossus is not far from that. Boss-fights way too easy and the fact you are forced to face them in an order predetermined by the game pretty much defeats the need to explore that vast area and improve your "stats". Really, what fun is there when the game conveniently points enemies out to you from weakest to strongest? Thought I was supposed to hunt Colossi on my own, instead, game held my hand through it all.

- While TEKKEN 6's online servers are plagued by lag, at least such thing is a "constant" element on that title, better than TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT 2's 4/5 bar-connections which turn into 1-2 ones as soon the fight starts. Personally, I've also enjoyed what developers tried to do with the Scenario Campaign mode, it felt a bit better than fighting opponents in random stages.

- Medal of Honor Frontline is better than any COD title.

- I'm a bit sad that the Resident Evil REmake "replaced" the original version, in addition to that (though this is most likely because of the order in which I've played the games): Lisa Trevor felt more like Nemesis' copycat/bitch, rather than a challenging opponent/obstacle.

- I don't know if this opinion is actually that unpopolar, but I consider FINAL FANTASY Ⅹ-2 and Ⅺ to be the last good entries in the FINAL FANTASY franchise.

- Best part about METAL GEAR SOLID 3: Snake Eater were the Codec/Radio conversations, no small thanks to Sigint and Para-Medic. This is more of a general opinion on the franchise, but I think stuff like the Soliton Radar (and its variants spread across the franchise) make the games way too easy.

- BLOODY ROAR series is (was?) underrated.

Edited by Vergilex

This thread is both a blessing and a curse. If i start scrolling through the answers I get irritated but writing stuff like KILLZONE 3 SUCKS! is awesome.

Agreed.  It's basically a thread to vent, firing off a list of generic, vague one-line opinions that encompass an entire genre, region or era of gaming for no other reason than to do it.  Which I also find irritating, mostly because if you can't scrape up more than 5-6 words to explain why what you are saying may be true... odds are you don't have a very good reason.  Which is a point I'd love to shove down your throat if I disagree with you.  And don't get me started on the amount of hyperbole people use, just in hopes it makes their "unpopular opinion" sting a little more.

But then I just need to remind myself that people are allowed to have opinions, the thread has the word "unpopular" and "opinion" right in the title, and no one is obligated to explain themselves to me. xD

Edited by PleaseHoldOn
  • Like 1

Final Fantasy XIII is a good game, and so are the sequels.

Lightning is a good character.

Super Mario 64 is actually a pretty bad game. I don't think the controls are that bad, but the levels are poorly designed and uninspired.

Call of Duty: World at War was bad. The engine felt clunky, zombies was a glitchy mess, the maps for the game were pretty bland, (Although, i'll admit it takes time for a new mode to pan out. I even thought Der Riese was fairly boring.) and the campaign wasn't that great. Overall, I just think World War 2 has been so overplayed, that's it's extremely uninteresting.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare was also pretty bad. I still felt the engine to be clunky, and the maps all felt a little bland. The campaign was pretty good, though.
(I'm willing to admit a slight bias towards these games in regards to the multiplayer. I started with MW2, and I couldn't stand how limited the multiplayer felt in comparison.)

I absolutely hate the Elder Scrolls and Dragon Age games. Medieval fantasy games bore me to tears. They all feel and play the same.

Left 4 Dead 2 is kind of stupid. I guess I just don't understand how you're supposed to go about playing it.

Pokemon hasn't been interesting since Gen 4, the games, gen 3.

I think Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 are good.

Watch_Dogs wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. The only portion of the game I didn't like was driving. Driving was really clunky.

Horror games are bad. I'll openly admit I'm a bitch when it comes to them, but from watching playthroughs on YouTube, and games like FnaF, I honestly just don't see the appeal and how they're any good.

Every game series ever has been a rehash of the previous games. Take any game series you love, compare it to the last game, and it's the same thing with different characters/plot. Sure, new elements get introduced, but they're all rehashes through and through.

MGS 3 is the best game in the series. 

That's all I can think of currently.

Well sir, in my mind calling something a game indicates that there is some level of competition between yourself and something else. Now if it is just the videogame's programming or another living person is irrelevant but the competition is the key. TWD is, to me, a series of "choose a or b and see what happens next," a story sure, but not a game.

Well sir, in my mind calling something a game indicates that there is some level of competition between yourself and something else. Now if it is just the videogame's programming or another living person is irrelevant but the competition is the key. TWD is, to me, a series of "choose a or b and see what happens next," a story sure, but not a game.

It is as much a game in my eyes as a visual novel is. VLR has very little in the gameplay department, yet I'd still call it a game.

but you can die in it so there are consequences to your actions.

Have you never played a point and click adventure game before? I would hate to think that people think games like Kings Quest or Sam & Max aren't games...because what the hell are they then?

• Like 3

ICO is a beautiful game, I can see why people would dislike it, though. It felt almost like playing in a painting. The atmosphere, the soundtrack, the minimalist puzzle platforming, forming a bond without communicating with Yorda. It's unlike most games and I appreciate that.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWVij6r4QBw

Edited by AVenGer777rocks

but you can die in it so there are consequences to your actions.

Have you never played a point and click adventure game before? I would hate to think that people think games like Kings Quest or Sam & Max aren't games...because what the hell are they then?

What about Leisure Suit Larry, the ones by Al Lowe of course :angel: or really any of those Sierra point and click adventure games..TWD is definitely a game and an amazing one at that. All these people making statements without any explanation simply makes it arbitrary, glad you pointed it out Mayus

Edited by coldkillaaaaaaaa
  • Like 1

I suppose in the spirit of the topic... I like quick time events.  An unpopular opinion.

TWD is rife with them.  Even if it's easy, the fact that you can die by not doing them... or not doing them well enough... is that not "some level of competition between yourself and something else"?  It's rare, but I've actually gotten distracted while playing and died on a few occasions throughout the two seasons of the game.  Not to mention any puzzles (a staple of point and click adventure games), simple as they may be, must be solved before you can proceed.

Just because a game is easy, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  Much to the chagrin of "hardcore" gamers everywhere.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

It is as much a game in my eyes as a visual novel is. VLR has very little in the gameplay department, yet I'd still call it a game.

Comparing it to VLR is not really the best you can find.

VLR is at core a puzzle game => you DO something that can be considered game.

Pure visual novels are probably what you wanted to say.

The only Assassin's Creed game I play is Black Flag. I actually like it, but if you want to 100% it, it's a long, boring, tedious journey of repetitive missions, constant grinding to upgrade and unlock, and easy as hell combat.

Edit: Some more to add instead of making a new post:

I enjoyed MK Deception and Deadly Alliance

Smackdown vs Raw 2011 was better than Smackdown vs Raw 2010

SSBB > SSBM

Edited by RabbiAndy

And I suppose another one would be is I don't think the PS3/360 is holding back the PS4/xbox one gen. there will be both good and bad games on PS4/xbox one just like the PS3/360 had(even then I suppose what is considered good and bad is subjective)

That I might of convinced myself that people are on a let's hate PS3/360 gen.

Bioshock Infinite was definitely overrated but I still enjoyed it, certainly not a 10 though.

Assassins Creed for me is super overrated, which is funny cause I am a huge fan. Mainly because of the lore and the open world is fun. But for an assassin, the stealth skills are poor! why wasn't splinter cell's stealth aspect integrated? all I did was counter hundreds of enemies... you'd think they would catch on after the first hundred.

Bioshock Infinite was definitely overrated but I still enjoyed it, certainly not a 10 though.

Assassins Creed for me is super overrated, which is funny cause I am a huge fan. Mainly because of the lore and the open world is fun. But for an assassin, the stealth skills are poor! why wasn't splinter cell's stealth aspect integrated? all I did was counter hundreds of enemies... you'd think they would catch on after the first hundred.

I think you nailed it on the head with AC. I'm not a fan of the series but I like Black Flag because I love history about the golden age of piracy and how Edward meets all of these historical figures. However I'm not a fan on the controls; it feels extremely limited for an assassin who's supposed to work in stealth. The Arkham games and even TLOU had better stealth mechanics. Also, AC's combat mechanics are way too easy. All you need to do is press circle to counter anything and press square to kill instantly. Hardly a challenge unless you're being fired at with guns.

• Like 1

I think you nailed it on the head with AC. I'm not a fan of the series but I like Black Flag because I love history about the golden age of piracy and how Edward meets all of these historical figures. However I'm not a fan on the controls; it feels extremely limited for an assassin who's supposed to work in stealth. The Arkham games and even TLOU had better stealth mechanics. Also, AC's combat mechanics are way too easy. All you need to do is press circle to counter anything and press square to kill instantly. Hardly a challenge unless you're being fired at with guns.

100% agree Rabbi! 100%.

P.S awesome avatar.

• Like 1

Same here, I liked Black Flag so much just cause of the setting. Pirates are awesome, although I missed some of them like Samuel Bellamy.

But about the fighting, it can get pretty hard when boarding ships and enemies are all around you trying to kill you. If they made it any harder the game would be pretty tedious. At least for me. Maybe the pistols were a bit overpowered though. Especially when you have them fully upgraded :P

Also if you like pirates, I recommend Black Sails, a TV series :)