Playstation Mobile To Be Discontinued 10 Sept 2015

damon8r351

Sony announced that they are discontinuing support of Playstation Mobile effective 10 September 2015. By that time, you'll be unable to re-download any of your previous purchases or make in-app purchases, and by 15 July 2015 all distribution of content will end.

My only question is, what the heck is Playstation Mobile?

• Like 2

PlayStation®Mobile (PSM) is a new initiative to deliver PlayStation® content on open operating system-based portable devices. This new initiative will allow SCE to deliver the PlayStation® experience to a greater number of users. From the PlayStation®Store, users can purchase a wide variety of content developed by a diverse pool of developers through SCE’s new PSM Developer Program, and enjoy that content on PlayStation™Certified devices (PS Certified devices) and the PlayStation®Vita system.

PlayStation®Mobile Developer Program allows SCE to offer a greater amount of developers with a convenient and efficient content development environment, and actively support content creation.

SCE has started a PlayStation™Certified licensing program for hardware manufacturers so that the world of PlayStation® may be enjoyed on an open system. SCE will offer the necessary support, including development support as well as logo licensing, to ensure the delivery of a high quality PlayStation® experience across various devices. Under this program, devices meeting SCE standards will be labeled as PlayStation™Certified devices, and will allow more users to experience PlayStation®.

A Playstation certified device is eg:

27395-sony-ericsson-xperia-play_max.jpg

Edited by Neputyunu

I had to google it:

If you don’t know what PlayStation Mobile is (and who could blame you if you didn’t), it’s a cross-platform marketplace for indie games that’s available on PlayStation Vita, various Sony phones and tablets as well as some HTC, Fujitsu and Sharp products.

:(

I guess I better get the downloadin then...

They are similar to the PS Minis except they can only be played on Sony certified phones and the Vita. I'm not sure why no one else seems to know what they are as their library is pretty elaborate...they are only two tabs over from the regular Vita games if you use the the PS Store on that device. Personally, I think some of the games are pretty awesome. A handful of them were converted into full on Vita games with trophy support...like Milk Mine Defender. Some popular indie games can only be played in that format on the Vita (well at least by conventional standards) such as Life of Pixel, Console Saga, and Super Crate Box.

Its one thing to discontinue it but its another thing to cut people off from their previous purchases...I'm telling you guys, Sony may start doing this with other parts of it library as well. Hopefully they take a few more of their PSM games and give'em the full works like they did with the handful of others.

Edited by merciful84

The dangers of digital distribution - once it's no longer profitable to host it, the whole library might be wiped out!

Maybe in the next decade or so Sony might say "not enough people are playing on PS3 anymore, so we are shutting down its services. If you had any games which you bought via PSN, you have until [date] to download them."

Totally forgot about this, it was the reason I got my SE Xperia Play years back too!

However, I never purchased any games or apps for PSMobile due to having every other Sony console to date (and multiple PSPs) lol.

Physical copy or bust! (Statement does not apply to PS+ featured items, however I am grateful for them :3)

I guess on the upshot it might stop people buying into a "PSMobile certified device" then realising it's a fancy slogan, and that's about it.