Online trophies is the 'assholest' thing ever done to gamers.

marnagra

I already have two unobtainable platinums at this point because of online trophies. To be honest I'm not really disappointed. Even though the online trophies become permanently unobtainable and I can't ever get 100% completion. The reason I'm not disappointed is because of the fact that those unobtainable trophies I didn't get I could've easily obtained ex: share a track in Gran Turismo 5. These online trophies will continue to be created until the end of the PSN service and besides some online trophies are pretty enjoyable to obtain.

I think people are being super selfish here.

I think online trophies have a value, they reward trophies to those trophy hunters who enjoy the online portion of the game, and I don't think they are an issue. Sure they can take a lot of time as sometimes the player has to rely on others and his skill versus other players to get them, which is fine, because after all trophies aren't things that we should get quickly or without reward even though some are like that. Online trophies also allow you to explore the online portions of games which is what the developers want. The issue with servers going down would be much smaller if not the GameSpy incident, and it is generally done when the games are abandoned or the new developers want to focus on the new iteration of the game. 

Removing them, giving them away for free or making them DLC could be an option, but then people wouldn't play online because they would know they can just wait the game out and snack these up when the online is removed.

Online trophies also lower the rarity of platinums, so that players can actually feel rewarded for having the platinum. Trophies design is so people can show off what they have achieved within a game, and rarity is a big part of that.

I think people really need to consider, you don't like online trophies? either suck it up and dont get them, boost them, or actually try and get them in online. Most trophy hunters who want "quick" platinum experience want them off, and I disagree, if you're always there for a quick plat and ditch the game then rethink what you play for.

For me best option would be if servers never went down, but we can't avoid that.

Edited by UltraDog177

I think, the best option is, to switch them from the Main Game to DLC Trophys, after servers go down.

It would be a solution for both sides - for the ones, who played them and for those, who would like to plat the game ;)

Greetz

jB

And... then that would still anger completionists as we want those DLCs as well :P

but then people wouldn't play online because they would know they can just wait the game out and snack these up when the online is removed.

Well, of course. Because people who play online don't care about trophies and vice-versa.

We DON'T want to be forced to play online. And online players mostly do not care about trophies, hence, online trophies do not have a value.

Well, of course. Because people who play online don't care about trophies and vice-versa.

We DON'T want to be forced to play online. And online players mostly do not care about trophies, hence, online trophies do not have a value.

Not the case, I play online and care about trophies, I know people who do.

You can take the counter argument that people are forced to play single-player.

Online trophies still hold a value

My Point still stands.

Easiest solution for you is not to get games with online trophies.

Trophies aren't meant to be achieved by everyone, so don't complain an online trophy is too difficult for you. If you suck at online then get good at the game or boost it, don't try and get those trophies removed. If life puts an obstacle infront of you, you try and make your way around it, instead of giving up and waiting until someone removes the obstacle.

Edited by UltraDog177
  • Like 1

I don't understand at all why multiplayer shouldn't have trophies.

That's a bit much, assholes? Really? If you don't like these trophies, don't get them, just by obtaining them you are basically saying 'I hate these multiplayer trophies but I'll play your game and get them anyway'. You are encouraging developers to put in multiplayer trophies, so you're not helping yourself. (I am of course assuming you get these trophies)

It's like when people complain about DLC but buy it anyway for the trophies, if you hate DLC, don't play, you're just encouraging it.

One positive about these trophies (in my opinion) is that it makes some plats nice and rare lol

Because of server issues, or some are tied to leaderboards. Or they have some that require months of grinding. Or have a requirement that just wouldnt occur normally and would have to be boosted. Not complaining per say. Online trophies suck but if I see a game that has BS MP trophies I will just not play the game.

Because of server issues, or some are tied to leaderboards. Or they have some that require months of grinding. Or have a requirement that just wouldnt occur normally and would have to be boosted. Not complaining per say. Online trophies suck but if I see a game that has BS MP trophies I will just not play the game.

See that makes sense, if you see unachievable trophies to your standards, then you wont play it. I do the same. I don't get why people want them removed, they are a good thing, in the end.

• Like 1

unfortunately i see some people are still defending online trophies, seriously! if i'm playing a single player game and i wanted to enjoy platinum it then i don't need a freaking online trophies to void that fun from me.

i'm at level 20 with around 50 plat and i still say i don't care for trophies. or should i say i don' care for that 100% i ended up nowadays when buying a game that have online component and online trophies, i only unlock the single player trophies and then leave it, the only time i went and unlock the online ones is when someone messaging me to boost them with him/her. if the game i'm playing have a good online mode then i'll play it, but still not going for the online trophies requirement.

online parts shouldn't had to have online trophies in my book, so everyone can enjoy the online gaming without caring for that 1.000.000 head shoot or seen a couple of people in a map somewhere killing and reviving each other then leave the match when they achieve what they want and it's so sad when seen some people ignore a good online mode for a game and just focus on boosting the crappy online trophies then leave. MMO's and online only/online based heavy/Fee to Pay games are what should have online trophies, other than that it doesn't make any sense of them been around.

Online trophies should just be reserved for a leaderboard. Thats what its there for. Ppl that play COD 24/7 care about leaderboards, not trophies.

See that makes sense, if you see unachievable trophies to your standards, then you wont play it. I do the same. I don't get why people want them removed, they are a good thing, in the end.

I really dont want them removed. I like the Mass Effect option of achieving them MP or SP. But I do see their point. A lot of good games that ppl would like to play and plat but the game has a crappy MP that ppl  just rather not do. But it is what it is. I vote with my wallet. Sometimes developers listen and either not have a MP or a much more friendly MP trophy list.

Online trophies should just be reserved for a leaderboard. Thats what its there for. Ppl that play COD 24/7 care about leaderboards, not trophies.

I really dont want them removed. I like the Mass Effect option of achieving them MP or SP. But I do see their point. A lot of good games that ppl would like to play and plat but the game has a crappy MP that ppl  just rather not do. But it is what it is. I vote with my wallet. Sometimes developers listen and either not have a MP or a much more friendly MP trophy list.

Take Star Wars Battlefront for example, trophies are almost entirely online based (as is the game) and they are all fairly achievable and there is no real struggle for a new player to get (at least how I felt about it, I might be good at FPS tho, idk?) and I feel like those trophies reward the players who put their time into the game. 

The people who are annoyed about a Single Player game having online trophies should reconsider what they say, A Single player game doesn't have multiplayer. If they are playing a game with both they chose to do so on their free will. I know a lot of singleplayer based titles have gotten MP support that was unneeded (AC games, Batman: Arkham Origins, Bioshock 2, The Last of Us to name a few) but they are your choice to play. A single player game is Assassins Creed II or Star Wars: The Force Unleashed which only has a single player component to the game, similar to how multiplayer games like Star Wars Battlefront, Destiny etc exist.

The leaderboards can be cheated and I don't think they should be reserved for that. I think that online trophies should not be tied to leaderboards personally, I think they should be achievable things like get level 50, win on every map, etc not stupid things like be in the top 5% of the leaderboards at the end of day n etc.

Edited by UltraDog177
  • Like 1

Take Star Wars Battlefront for example, trophies are almost entirely online based (as is the game) and they are all fairly achievable and there is no real struggle for a new player to get (at least how I felt about it, I might be good at FPS tho, idk?) and I feel like those trophies reward the players who put their time into the game. 

The people who are annoyed about a Single Player game having online trophies should reconsider what they say, A Single player game doesn't have multiplayer. If they are playing a game with both they chose to do so on their free will. I know a lot of singleplayer based titles have gotten MP support that was unneeded (AC games, Batman: Arkham Origins, Bioshock 2, The Last of Us to name a few) but they are your choice to play. A single player game is Assassins Creed II or Star Wars: The Force Unleashed which only has a single player component to the game, similar to how multiplayer games like Star Wars Battlefront, Destiny etc exist.

The leaderboards can be cheated and I don't think they should be reserved for that. I think that online trophies should not be tied to leaderboards personally, I think they should be achievable things like get level 50, win on every map, etc not stupid things like be in the top 5% of the leaderboards at the end of day n etc.

For leaderboards ModNation is a good example. One trophy you need to get it the top 20 percent in a single race based on time versus others. The thing is, its dead except for hackers and griefers so the trophy is impossible now. I say hackers cause they get times like 3 seconds which is impossible. Thats why trophies shouldnt be tied to leaderboards.

For leaderboards ModNation is a good example. One trophy you need to get it the top 20 percent in a single race based on time versus others. The thing is, its dead except for hackers and griefers so the trophy is impossible now. I say hackers cause they get times like 3 seconds which is impossible. Thats why trophies shouldnt be tied to leaderboards.

This I agree with, but I still think multiplayer trophies should be a thing.

This I agree with, but I still think multiplayer trophies should be a thing.

Should? I don't know. Depends on the game. Some MP are added just to add and they suck. Usually for games that are basically SP. Most ppl that aren't for MP trophies usually complain about that. No one complains about COD online trophies.

Should? I don't know. Depends on the game. Some MP are added just to add and they suck. Usually for games that are basically SP. Most ppl that aren't for MP trophies usually complain about that. No one complains about COD online trophies.

I disagree with shoehorning MP into games for the sake of multiplayer, but I do not disagree with MP trophies.

I think in general MP trophies should be a thing.

Completely 2 different points. There are games that had MP added that didnt have trophies related to it, but MP trophies in general should be a thing. IF the MP sucks then the game sucks, not the trophies.

Servers going down are not the trophies fault.

Multiplayer being not fun are not the trophies fault.

Instead why don't we just have a thread for games that we don't want to have MP included instead of MP trophies, because quite frankly just because the trophies have tedious requirements does not mean we should not have them. With this logic they might as well just give us the plat as we open the game.

Edited by UltraDog177

I disagree with shoehorning MP into games for the sake of multiplayer, but I do not disagree with MP trophies.

Completely 2 different points. There are games that had MP added that didnt have trophies related to it, but MP trophies in general should be a thing. IF the MP sucks then the game sucks, not the trophies.

But if the MP sucks then the MP trophies suck. For that game anyway. But I avoid most MP anyway, its no big thing unless its a SP game I really want to play but then they throw in some MP element that isnt needed and thrown in just to have MP. Like Tomb Raider for example. Wanted to do it again for the PS4 but wasnt going through that pain again.

But if the MP sucks then the MP trophies suck. For that game anyway. But I avoid most MP anyway, its no big thing unless its a SP game I really want to play but then they throw in some MP element that isnt needed and thrown in just to have MP. Like Tomb Raider for example. Wanted to do it again for the PS4 but wasnt going through that pain again.

Then the game sucks, but it's not the trophies fault, and if you done it once then you know it is achievable, you just don't want to go through the grind again, therefore the game fails to capture your for a longer period of time and offers repetitive experience, but that doesn't mean those trophies are bad and should be removed? If you can't achieve something then don't say it shouldn't exist, I can't win the Wimbledon but I'm not angry that the whole tennis tournament shouldn't exist because of that.

---

I feel like everyone is losing the term Trophy Hunting, just because the trophies require you to play multiplayer it often adds challenge and it separates the people who are willing to put in the effort to get these trophies. If you don't like to put effort in then play games that don't require that effort, there are platinum and games for you, or get the trophies you like and move on. Multiplayer has been an aspect of gaming for years and just because it includes trophies isn't a bad thing. You can argue the same point with Co-operative trophies, with difficulty based trophies, with grinding trophies, they all might be tedious and put people off but that doesn't mean they should be removed.

Trophies are not to blame for companies taking down servers. Typically only games that shut down servers are games with a short time-span like EA Sports games or yearly games. If you worry about your games servers being shutdown then get the trophies asap.

Edited by UltraDog177

Servers going down are not the trophies fault.

Multiplayer being not fun are not the trophies fault.

Instead why don't we just have a thread for games that we don't want to have MP included instead of MP trophies, because quite frankly just because the trophies have tedious requirements does not mean we should not have them. With this logic they might as well just give us the plat as we open the game.

Actually servers going down are the trophies fault. Eventually the server will go down or close and that is for all online trophies. Probably the biggest reason ppl that hate online trophies hate them. So online trophies and servers go hand in hand.

Then the game sucks, but it's not the trophies fault, and if you done it once then you know it is achievable, you just don't want to go through the grind again, therefore the game fails to capture your for a longer period of time and offers repetitive experience, but that doesn't mean those trophies are bad and should be removed? If you can't achieve something then don't say it shouldn't exist, I can't win the Wimbledon but I'm not angry that the whole tennis tournament shouldn't exist because of that.

Honestly as bad as the TR MP reputation was for the PS3, they should have removed the trophies. Their choice and my choice not to buy it. They probably would have sold a lot more if they did. Again. Their choice and mine.

Actually servers going down are the trophies fault. Eventually the server will go down or close and that is for all online trophies. Probably the biggest reason ppl that hate online trophies hate them. So online trophies and servers go hand in hand.

Honestly as bad as the TR MP reputation was for the PS3, they should have removed the trophies. Their choice and my choice not to buy it. They probably would have sold a lot more if they did. Again. Their choice and mine.

No they are not.

Does a trophy ever say "if people don't get this trophy the servers will go down"

No... Then I don't understand how you come to that conclusion.

Servers go down because people don't play the game/The developers are switching it to the new iteration of their game/the server company shuts down (gamespy)/servers are too costly (indie dev MP games)

Never has trophy gain or presence influenced the servers to shutdown. There are games that launched years ago with servers still active and MP trophies as much as there are games that came out in the last few years who shutdown servers and had MP trophies. There is no correlation between MP trophies means that servers WILL shutdown.

They should not. You don't like the grind, or the gameplay of the TR MP sure, but it doesn't mean they should've made the game easier to plat for next gen? So you want all companies to make easy plats so that they make more sales? That's even worse, it creates unhealthy environments if there is no balance of difficult and rare platinums, it decreases the value of earning the platinum. It's like when developers changed the MP DLC trophies on the last of us, the ones on the PS3 version are way more difficult which means if you have those 100% you're probably a better player or you invested the time to boost them, and you take more pride and value out of them than the ones on the PS4 version.

You chose not to buy the game which is fair, but you shouldn't think that the trophies are responsible for the game being bad or that the trophies are what leads to servers shutting down. You have time to get them and you choose not to, then its on you.

Edited by UltraDog177

The same could be said for any trophy/mechanic in a game. But like i said i agree it's a unnecessary problem that devs can and should fix.

I agree. Lets say someone dislikes speedruns. There are lots of games with offline speedrun trophies.

If I don't like the trophies I just play the game in another account so as not to ruin my completion ;)

What I dislike is when developers add dlc trophy lists sometime after the release date of the base game. Those should be separate trophy sets imo.

Edited by Gray-Fox-44

You can take the counter argument that people are forced to play single-player.

What the... 

Seriously... what the...

I don't even... what?!

Trophies aren't meant to be achieved by everyone, so don't complain an online trophy is too difficult for you. If you suck at online then get good at the game or boost it, don't try and get those trophies removed. If life puts an obstacle infront of you, you try and make your way around it, instead of giving up and waiting until someone removes the obstacle.

I don't think you are seeing the correct point of this discussion, though.

I haven't been talking about difficulty of insane requirements. Obviously, those are problem for some, but if they can be boosted, why not?

The main point is that they may become unobtainable because they are online dependent.

These things usually make people avoid old games they would normally play. Because they can no longer achieve everything in the game.

The point is, NO ONE would complain if the trophies could be achieved offline with bots, be it after the server closure. 

But after server closure, it's THE END. Trophies are for collecting, if you can't achieve it because there is no way rather than you being unable to do it, it defeats the point.

• Like 2

Yes, the server closure and unobtanibility are bad and annoying, but there are also other problems...

Now excuse me, I've juuust discovered that the Saints Row 4: Gat Out of Hell has a single forced coop trophy and now must be off to the secluded place to scream, because games dare to enforce interaction with other humans on me for, uh, "reasons".

• Like 1

The main point is that they may become unobtainable because they are online dependent.

These things usually make people avoid old games they would normally play. Because they can no longer achieve everything in the game.

The point is, NO ONE would complain if the trophies could be achieved offline with bots, be it after the server closure. 

But after server closure, it's THE END. Trophies are for collecting, if you can't achieve it because there is no way rather than you being unable to do it, it defeats the point.

This, exactly this is the reason why people keep complaining about online trophies. If servers never go down, there would be practically no complaining because the only reason you wouldn't be able to get a trophy is because you suck (to put it bluntly) at it. (Of course there's the rare exception, but it's called trophy hunting, put some effort in it or just don't do it and move on).

Edited by FFHannibal
  • Like 1

No they are not.

Does a trophy ever say "if people don't get this trophy the servers will go down"

No... Then I don't understand how you come to that conclusion.

Servers go down because people don't play the game/The developers are switching it to the new iteration of their game/the server company shuts down (gamespy)/servers are too costly (indie dev MP games)

Never has trophy gain or presence influenced the servers to shutdown. There are games that launched years ago with servers still active and MP trophies as much as there are games that came out in the last few years who shutdown servers and had MP trophies. There is no correlation between MP trophies means that servers WILL shutdown.

They should not. You don't like the grind, or the gameplay of the TR MP sure, but it doesn't mean they should've made the game easier to plat for next gen? So you want all companies to make easy plats so that they make more sales? That's even worse, it creates unhealthy environments if there is no balance of difficult and rare platinums, it decreases the value of earning the platinum. It's like when developers changed the MP DLC trophies on the last of us, the ones on the PS3 version are way more difficult which means if you have those 100% you're probably a better player or you invested the time to boost them, and you take more pride and value out of them than the ones on the PS4 version.

You chose not to buy the game which is fair, but you shouldn't think that the trophies are responsible for the game being bad or that the trophies are what leads to servers shutting down. You have time to get them and you choose not to, then its on you.

Its a given the server will eventually go down sooner or later.

Well the Bioshock 2 Remaster wont have MP trophies. And its not a matter about easier but believe what you want. I know its hard to believe but a lot of ppl dont like MP for various reason. For most its not about making it easier.