Online trophies is the 'assholest' thing ever done to gamers.

marnagra

Personally for me, there are far worse offenses in the world of trophies than online trophies (two examples: unstackable difficulty trophies, untested trophies/platinums that remain forever unpatched and unobtainable). I've actually had fun with most of the "forced" multiplayer modes (even Mass Effect 3's which wasn't technically a plat requirement - I even played that on a few more occasions after getting all the trophies).

That said, I do wish they wouldn't include them so often or at least not require such long time commitments or trophy triggers that very rarely anyone would get "legit". But I guess they have to get people playing those online modes somehow, otherwise they're just paying to keep up empty servers.

That is a great alternative I admit but for example on my xbox 360 I played doritos crash course not realising I couldn't 100% it because the servers were down and its games like that where the trophies/achievements become completely unobtainable should be given so people like me aren't incredibly frustrated its on my list....

I believe they did this for Killzone 3, I think i saw someone had a killzone 3 Multiplayer trophy list alongside a regular one so people who don't play online could get the platinum! When I saw this I thought it would be a good thing to do for games like killzone.

Actually, Killzone 3 does require the multiplayer trophies. Killzone 3 Multiplayer is a stand-alone re-release of just the multiplayer modes (and indeed comes with a separate list + another platinum) so people can play it without having to deal with the single-player mode.

All I see in threads like this is crying. If you don't want to earn the trophies, don't, but multiplayer is a large chunk of a lot of games and deserves to be represented.

The thing is I want to. I won't ever be able to obtain the Platinum if the servers in that basic game were down.

The real question is why do games like Call of Duty have offline trophies?

Seriously though, while it's annoying to have requirements like 10k kills or reach the max rank it's their game. They can do whatever the hell they want, don't play it if you don't like it.

Unfortunately the people making the games/trophies aren't combing the internet to read through pages of forums to figure out what people do and don't like. They're looking at how many people bought the game and how many people are online for how long after the game is released. If they make a ton of money and matches are still full two years after release what are they supposed to think?

I've been on all 3 sides of this fence :D. I've played a game I really liked and really wanted the plat and worked my but off to get it. I've also played a game and said F this, not worth it. I've also loved the online of a game so much that I practically earned all the trophies just playing normally. For fun. Inorite?

Here's my 2 cents. Play the games you want to play, hunt the trophies you want to hunt, take a deep breath and forget the rest if it's causing you this much mental anguish. Or just turn odd the console and go read a book or something.

That is a great alternative I admit but for example on my xbox 360 I played doritos crash course not realising I couldn't 100% it because the servers were down and its games like that where the trophies/achievements become completely unobtainable should be given so people like me aren't incredibly frustrated its on my list....

I believe they did this for Killzone 3, I think i saw someone had a killzone 3 Multiplayer trophy list alongside a regular one so people who don't play online could get the platinum! When I saw this I thought it would be a good thing to do for games like killzone.

Killzone 3 is a game that has online trophies that you need to achieve Platinum.

There's also a KZ3 multiplayer game, but that's the standalone you're talking about.

I am sorry but I disagree. Trophies must be earned, not given away. Haven't you ever felt proud of obtaining a trophy that challenges your skill, patience, determination....? It is true that online trophies are sometimes difficult to be dealt with but it is your responsibility as a trophy hunter to adapt to ever-changing circumstances. 

• Like 2

I don't agree with the idea that trophies should be given away, by doing so, you're ignoring the effort of all of those who earned it. But, the idea of an offline alternative to trophies (a la Mass Effect 3) is right in every way, I understand that if you develop a mp component to your game, you want people to play it, and use trophies to encourage that behaviour, but it should not be forced into us.

I'm not a fan of online trophies but making them add-on is very unlikely to happen.I mean the point of online trophies most of the time is to "force" you to try the online part and spend some time on it.

Also making them immediately earned if servers are closed would be a slap in the face of people who actually obtained them normally.

Assassin's creed Brotherhood has horrible online trophies,imagine how much people who gained all of them would be pissed if everybody got them by simply starting the game

So let me get this straight, then; Are the MP servers for AC:B shut down? If so, I just got screwed out of a plat, and will have to cancel my trophy-grind session.

I am interested in horror and JRPG games which mostly require single player only, so online trophies dont really affect me as completionist trophy hunter. Grand Theft Auto series is  the only heavily online trophies games I will still play because of my childhood nostalgic value. Good thing is I managed to obtained all GTA 5 Heist trophies in 3 weeks and no need to worry about online trophy anymore until GTA 6 come out. :)  

The only thing I worry about is weird business practice by certain company which prevent me from buying DLC early. In my case, I cannot get 100% completion because I cannot buy and play Assignment DLC of The Evil Within for Asia region. My physical copy of Evil Within is Region 3 and I cannot download it using my other PSN Asia account due to the fact the publisher of The Evil Within for Asia region is Sony, not Bethesda. What a very weird business practice. :angry:

Edited by Shazarul1985

I don't play online for most games, even when its good and offered for free (no online pass, etc...).  I run across games I want to play from time to time, but since they came out all of 18 months ago, the online has been shut down or is completely dead, so online trophies are a pain.  I saw games like ME3 mentioned in here, and I agree, having both an offline or online requirement for a trophy is brilliant.  People can then choose how they approach obtaining it.  Makes the game more enjoyable for everyone.  Also, when servers are overloaded, drop constantly, are dead, or inevitably go down permanently, players can still achieve those trophies in the SP portion of the game.

It's also kinda funny to me when I see devs put in so many time consuming and just odd online trophies, because for most trophy hunters, they pass up the game all together.  Whereass games with easy trophy lists end up selling copies simply because trophy hunters will buy the game for the trophies.  It's really in developers best interests to add easier trophies.  People who don't care will just play the game, but you also don't lose sales just cause you have a big ego and programmed a trophy into your game requiring someone in a ranked online match to get a solo triple knife kill, while falling from a height of over 30 meters, with less than 1% of their health left, while eating a roast beef sandwich.  Because, well, that's uber pwnage, right?  *sigh*

• Like 1

So, here is two right things that developers can and SHOULD do in order to increase trophyhunters loyalty:

1. As Bullstomp said, make alternate ways to obtain trophies. And single-player way of earning these trophies should be harder to make player play online in order to get these trophies easier. This is so easy thing to do.

2. Make online trophies not count towards platinum. This is easy, developer should just make ADDON Trophy set from the start and this is possible to do (TLOU: Remastered have this, just imagine that there will be 1 DLC with name ONLINE and all online trophies should be there).

EASY AS PIE

I prefer first option anyway... Wish this and taboo on making duplicate trophysets which litter database.

So let me get this straight, then; Are the MP servers for AC:B shut down? If so, I just got screwed out of a plat, and will have to cancel my trophy-grind session.

They're not shut down, but as I said on post #4, You will have to deal with a lot of totally unnecessary problems before you actually mange to boost the trophies. I got my last ACB online trophy barely a month ago.

I kind of agree. Not that all online trophies are bad, but the servers part is completely true. I'm just now playing Fifa Street, an EA game from 2012, and who knows how long the servers will still be up. Oh and there is an online trophy where you must win all 9 online cups ... Online cups are only available one at a time on the weekends, which basically means you can't make it before 9 weeks have passed ... Fuckers.

I completely disagree with monstergamer. Trophies should be earned not given away. This is one of the things Mass Effect 3 did right and I am disappointed more titles have not done since. ME3 had online trophies BUT there was an alternate way to win those same trophies in the campaign. Genius.

Trophies should be earned, agreed. But how about this, since no one wants to repeat ME3. After the servers shut down and you can't get online trophies, but still get the platinum since you basically got all the trophies you can get. It kind of sucks that you can't get the damned platinum just because there aren't any servers functioning.

They should make Online trophies optional than count them towards the platinum.  It suppose to be for enjoyment not some sort of life commitment. I enjoy collecting trophies as other typical trophy hunters but forcing them to play is a new low. Not everyone is good at online as much as having time to commit.

Other issue sometimes are time difference with other country like  it was crazy I had to through 10 pm to 3 am  the other person was fortunate since his time is 3 hours behind others lead to pressure such as fifa or complication such as crisis 2 and resisitance 2

all in all I wish for the mp trophies optional or even at least deleting the trophies you know would neither

• Like 1

No,as someone already stated.I was just mentioning that those trophies are boring and complicated,even more with a lot less people who plays AC:B multiplayer

I don't know if this would work if servers for a game go down but can't developers release some kind of patch to let you use bots or whatever? Not only to keep the platinum accessible but also for people who liked the multiplayer.

This might work for some games (mostly FPS), but games like, say, RDR, have trophies that require a special kind of behaviour (Kingping comes to mind). You can't really trust bots to help you get a trophy, unless they are competitive trophies only, but what about the "Beat the level on hard without anyoen dying" kind of trophies? AI wont be as good as a human partner for that.

I totally agree! I find online trophies a nuisance and online trophies are the only ones that are keeping me from getting platinums  :shakefist:  . .  . if only the online trophies are available in offline too such as the co-op in Dead Rising 2 , well, it's such frustrating looking for players to play with ... -_-

Depending on the circumstance, online trophies can be annoying. On the other hand they're practically a gimme if you're willing to boost for them.

I don't believe that they should be "given out" as people have said above. If anything, I'd say that they should be held responsible for making some sort of P2P option possible if they don't want to continue to offer support in the form of servers. The offline bot idea is neat too, but I'm sure there are certain games where this wouldn't help.  Sadly, neither will happen because they really aren't concerned with rubbing trophy "hunters" the wrong way.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I don't understand at all why multiplayer shouldn't have trophies.

That's a bit much, assholes? Really? If you don't like these trophies, don't get them, just by obtaining them you are basically saying 'I hate these multiplayer trophies but I'll play your game and get them anyway'. You are encouraging developers to put in multiplayer trophies, so you're not helping yourself. (I am of course assuming you get these trophies)

It's like when people complain about DLC but buy it anyway for the trophies, if you hate DLC, don't play, you're just encouraging it.

One positive about these trophies (in my opinion) is that it makes some plats nice and rare lol

Right from the beginning I’ve never liked online trophies. I’ve completed quite a few games now with various online requirements and although I’ve met some good people along the way the actual trophies are for the most part unenjoyable and tedious. Here are the principle reasons I don’t like them, starting with the worst of the lot

Unobtainable Trophies from Server shutdowns

Every game, no matter how old, should have the ability to reach 100% trophy completion. There is nothing more frustrating than having a list of trophies and realising you cannot complete them. You shouldn’t have to look up game guides and the respective server status prior to playing a game, furthermore there are many people including myself who would like to play a game but won’t go near it if it has unobtainable trophies as it would affect completion statistics.

Legitimate Trophy Earners (skilled) vs Boosters (next to no skill)

When completing a game offline the difficult / grind / luck trophies all have to be completed by you, if you do it then it’s something you can be proud about and everyone knows you have had the skill to have completed them. Online trophies are different, let’s take Kingpin on Red Dead Redemption. If you achieved this trophy legitimately then I have huge respect as it takes skill and even more than that luck, however if you boost it then it can be completed in a matter of minutes as everyone groups together and then gets killed. The only skill involved being to get the boosting group together in the first place. There’s no way of knowing if a trophy has been earned legitimately in the spirit it was created, therefore they hold next to no value.

The grind

The tedious part. A game comes out with online trophies, a guide comes out giving you details of the fastest route to achieve the trophies, you get a boosting group and achieve the miscellaneous trophies and then onto the grind. Uncharted 2 – pull down method for 2500 kills 50-49 wins. Uncharted 3, hours upon hours of matchmaking F2, F3, BO (the memories, shudder). Bioshock 2 – alternate hacking turret for 20 hours. F.E.A.R. 2 – 180 hours of walking backwards and forwards to raise XP at the final control point and that’s with boosting! Annoying, pointless and in the end you hate the game you had once enjoyed.

Playing the game: Trophy Hunters vs Boosters

I really feel for the genuine players who play online for the fun of playing online and their world collides with the trophy hunter who can only complete trophies in a public match. They just want to kill / have fun / show off their skills, the trophy hunter has specific requirements they need to fulfil. Bad language is exchanged, messages sent and game kicking ensues. This is not enjoyable for anyone and I’ve seen enough now to last me a lifetime.

DLC added trophies

These trophies can be frustrating. The main game can all be offline which suits many people that don’t like completing online trophies, then a DLC is released later containing online trophies, forcing people to play an online mode they really don’t want to complete 100%.

I copied that from FawltyPowers. 

So there's your answer.

Legitimate Trophy Earners (skilled) vs Boosters (next to no skill)

When completing a game offline the difficult / grind / luck trophies all have to be completed by you, if you do it then it’s something you can be proud about and everyone knows you have had the skill to have completed them. Online trophies are different, let’s take Kingpin on Red Dead Redemption. If you achieved this trophy legitimately then I have huge respect as it takes skill and even more than that luck, however if you boost it then it can be completed in a matter of minutes as everyone groups together and then gets killed. The only skill involved being to get the boosting group together in the first place. There’s no way of knowing if a trophy has been earned legitimately in the spirit it was created, therefore they hold next to no value.

To completely poke holes in this point, I have no idea if you, your brother or your mother were playing on your account and earned the trophies that are associated with your PSN name. To assume that all trophies that aren't online are therefore earned by the same person is a giant leap in logic. Maybe you hang out with a buddy who comes over and completes trophies in games. Maybe you have your friends log into your account and let them earn the trophies that way. If you're going to assume online trophies are as easy as signing up for a boosting session then you should also assume offline trophies could have just as easily been earned by someone else. Both are equally easy these days,