Online trophies is the 'assholest' thing ever done to gamers.

marnagra

I tend to disagree actually. I love online trophies. Especially on FPS games like COD and BF. I actually wish there were more on those games. I enjoyed BFBC,GTA 4, and AC Brotherhood online trophies! They were fun and when boosting, I met great people on all of them. The only trophies I think are unrealistic are BF Hardlines 40,000 kills trophies. 4,000 would've been great!

Not really if you plan on getting the 100% of the trophy log of a game. However, i agree with the point that they should provide another offline way to get the online trophies of games that got their servers shutted down, i don't know, maybe a little patch with some offline accomplishments (depending on the classification of the trophy). For example, take Call of Duty: Black Ops II, they can tweak a way to get the "Big leagues" silver trophy since league play games are now dead because of the movement of servers to BO3, maybe reaching certain level, kills or certain accomplishments on local offline multiplayer.

Edited by Vampirehunter145

Even though I'm no fan of online trophies, I see no reason why they shouldn't be part of a list. Some people like em, some don't.

It's up to the developper to decide which trophies are attached to which requirements, and that is totally up to them, whether they are good or boring/grindy/hard or online...

What's next? Some don't like 'hard' trophies so these should be put in a separate trophy list or removed? Makes no sense and you can't draw a line based on personal preference. If anything, developpers can adapt (freely) in response to general customer feedback but that's about it.

So in short, imo if you don't like online, don't do the trophies and spend your time on something you actually enjoy. That's what I do ;)

Just my two cents...

Developers complain about people boosting in the online. Here's an idea, the amount of boosters would plummet if there were no online trophies, and trust me, the people who wanted to play it regardless of trophies are still going to play it

In fact, making them available offline (for example like Vita's ad-hoc) would be sufficient. Hunters would get them easily offline and wouldn't need to enter the online portion.

Win-win situation that... will never happen :/

Online trophies are the assholest things ever done to gamers when:

When the servers are getting shut down.

Online trophies are not the assholest things ever done to gamers when: 

Boosting with a partner or having Skill and Luck.

This means that "Online Trophies" have dark sides/disadvantages and light sides/advantages

Edited by ee28max

If developers want to include an online mode into their game, they should also make it available offline with bots. I don't care how difficult or how grindy the online trophies are, the only thing i care about is the ability to still gain them. If they include an offline mode with bots where you can gain all those mp trophies i'm happy.

Preach.

Online trophies are the biggest pain in the arse when it comes to gaming for so many reasons, here is the usual process I now go through:

First I look at game reviews, does it look like my type of game and is it any good? If so great, now I need to check trophy lists for the main game and DLC’s for any trophies that have to be completed online.

All Trophies are Offline

Perfect. I’m buying it.

Some Trophies are Online

Eurgh. Now for the next process.

Are any trophies unobtainable – If yes, I’m not buying it. If no then I read up about how active the servers are, how many players are required, do they need to be boosted, are the servers glitched, how long do they take.

If I buy the game (or they decide to release DLC content at a later date containing online trophies) I now need to try and get the online trophies out the way ASAP.

Do they need to be boosted? If so, I need to get a session set up or join a session on here, with a limited time frame due to work and family that gives me about a 2 hour window. Are the sessions Public or Private, if Public then damn, that’s going to anger the genuine players who want to actually play the game.

How many players do I need? Please let the trophies be just me and one other person, if not then you have to rely on everyone turning up, have read what they need to do and to follow instructions if they aren’t so sure, also to ensure they don’t disappear once they have the trophy and will help everyone else to get theirs too, oh a good internet connection would help as well and be able to communicate with a headset if required or at least follow group chat.

Are trophies glitched? Is there a chance that we fulfil all requirements only to find the trophy hasn’t worked, or did someone get something slightly wrong and the trophy not pop, damn now our eighth player has either lost patience and logged off or they have run out of time and can’t help any more. Guess we’ll reschedule, more than likely the following week. Do we have the same game version running (disk/Digital)? In RDR if you don’t then Walton’s Gold fails halfway through, also cannot play Undead Overrun. More frustration.

How long will they take? Well I’ve just read the guide and the optimum way of achieving this is for two people to stand next to this control point and alternate capturing it for approximately 20 hours (Bioshock 2 levelling up) or 180 hours (F.E.A.R. 2) or we need to alternate wins with each game taking 10 minutes (plus 5 minutes to begin the game), 30 minutes for a win each multiplied by 50 wins = 25 hours + 40% additional time on top of that trying to find the other team, the game not glitching and no-one dropping out and being replaced by a random (Uncharted 3). Oh my I could go on and on but I’ll leave it there.

Online trophies completely ruin games for me.

The thing is that it’s only trophy hunters and completionists or to put it another way the gaming minority that care about getting these trophies so that being the case just don’t include them. People who want to go online should be able to do so knowing that the people they face want to play the game for the same reasons, not just there for a trophy. If you want to put something in there then check out Diablo 3 / World of Warcraft, they’re called Achievement points, a far far better method.

Also online trophies hold next to zero value. How can anyone know whether the trophy they’ve earned was earned legitimately or from boosting? Answer is you can’t, someone could have skilfully killed 3 people at once with a grenade or everyone could have just stood together in a boosting group. They are pointless.

Trophies should just be offline, as a test of individual skill.

Anything good about online trophies? Just the one, I’ve met some great people through a shit experience.

Edited by FawltyPowers
  • Like 1

The only gamers that care about MP trophies are the ones that care about trophies in general.

The kids online that question your sexuality and claim to have done dirty deeds with your mom don't care about getting a platinum trophy.

We trophy hunters are the gaming minority so I wouldn't expect anything to change that favors us.

I don't particularly care for and don't play much multiplayer, but I'm not going base my purchase and playing decisions on trophies that I will likely never get and I'm not going to force myself to play a mode that I'm really not interested in.  If a game looks like something I will enjoy, I will pick it up without a thought as to whether I will platinum or 100% it.  Sure, if given the choice, I would prefer single player trophies but I'm not going to miss out on potentially amazing single experiences because of multiplayer trophy requirements.

• Like 1

I don't particularly care for and don't play much multiplayer, but I'm not going base my purchase and playing decisions on trophies that I will likely never get and I'm not going to force myself to play a mode that I'm really not interested in.  If a game looks like something I will enjoy, I will pick it up without a thought as to whether I will platinum or 100% it.  Sure, if given the choice, I would prefer single player trophies but I'm not going to miss out on potentially amazing single experiences because of multiplayer trophy requirements.

It's a good attitude to have towards a game, it's annoying to be a completionist and put yourself through something unpleasant just for a trophy when the reasons for playing it in the first place was to have fun.

• Like 1

When I play a game, I try to get the mp trophies done first.  Subseqeuntly, I can hunt trophies at my own pace with no worries of servers going down.

This is exactly what I do.  But if for some reason I can't get the online trophies in time, then it's no big deal.  If I'd finished Bulletstorm's online trophies, then I'd now have the platinum.  But I didn't, and I don't.  It's not the end of the world.

• 2 months later...

Last time I signed in was months ago, I'm sleepy and all I know is that this is about online trophies. I still don't see the issue.

If you refuse to buy a game just because of multiplayer trophies, that's sad, you're missing out.

I like trophies and achievements. Oh, it has multiplayer trophies? Oh well my entertainment value is automatically zero if I can't get 100%. Honestly who cares? At some point, like I did, you'll reach a point and realise how much time has been wasted. No offence to anybody, but some people take these things way to seriously. When you're on your death bed, trophies will be last thing you think about. Grim? Yes. But it gets my point across. A lot more to life than Ping, you killed X enemies with a shotgun in X game.

I'm being awfully blunt and I'm sorry, just being honest. Hope everyone has a good day and such  :)

• Like 2

I don't think online trophies in particular are the "assholest" thing, although it's disappointing to see a game server shut down. The assholest thing is games where you basically need to buy your way to success because doing the trophies for free would be close to impossible. A case of this are the NBA 2K games on PS4, 2K14 required an incredibly long grind of over 1000 hours, or you could buy your way to success for what I believe was over $500, maybe even $1000, a lot of people report that NBA 2K15 costed them over $1500 and they still grinded for hundreds of hours and NBA 2K16 also costs $300 or more, these trophies are all tied to getting players in an online mode, NBA 2K14 is unobtainable now and 2K15 on PS4 will become unobtainable in December 2016 due to the servers closing, both games are unobtainable on PS3 now. 

The other form of online trophies I hate are ones related to a mode that can break before the servers actually close, such as Army of Two: The 40th Day mask creator, Black Ops 2 League Mode, Fight Night Champion rival gyms, FIFA 14 and 15 challenges, Grand Slam Tennis online sharing, EA are the masters of allowing an online feature to break before the servers officially close. NBA 2K14 and 2K15 had a trophy called "another day, another win" on PS3, these trophies became unobtainable before the servers closed because the mode lasted only as long as an NBA season in progress. Other online trophies I hate are community based trophies, like the ones in LittleBigPlanet that require a certain number of people to have played your online level and I don't like viral trophies, trophies that require you to play with a game developer or someone else who earned the trophy, because when the online becomes dead you will need to ask people who have the trophy already to help you. I like online trophies if they are co-op games, I've helped a lot of people with the Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 co-op trophy, but I also liked playing the Payday games and GTA IV Fly the Co-op, but I really hate competitive multiplayer with trophies, but I can easily boost most competitive trophies anyway. 

Edited by Sergen

unfortunately i see some people are still defending online trophies, seriously! if i'm playing a single player game and i wanted to enjoy platinum it then i don't need a freaking online trophies to void that fun from me.

i'm at level 20 with around 50 plat and i still say i don't care for trophies. or should i say i don' care for that 100% i ended up nowadays when buying a game that have online component and online trophies, i only unlock the single player trophies and then leave it, the only time i went and unlock the online ones is when someone messaging me to boost them with him/her. if the game i'm playing have a good online mode then i'll play it, but still not going for the online trophies requirement.

online parts shouldn't had to have online trophies in my book, so everyone can enjoy the online gaming without caring for that 1.000.000 head shoot or seen a couple of people in a map somewhere killing and reviving each other then leave the match when they achieve what they want and it's so sad when seen some people ignore a good online mode for a game and just focus on boosting the crappy online trophies then leave. MMO's and online only/online based heavy/Fee to Pay games are what should have online trophies, other than that it doesn't make any sense of them been around.

Edited by yellowwindow7
  • Like 2

I already accepted that online trophies will never go away for games. It's true, you do miss out on great games by not playing them in which I do understand. For many it's a roadblock in order to get the platinums or sometimes lose hope that it's not possible. Servers can unexpectedly go down without warning. I decided that I'll just continue playing games that have online trophies so I don't miss out on them and do my best to get them done. To me online trophies hasn't ruined me as a gamer, but it lets me know for every game I have with online trophies that I want to play there is a deadline to get them done and sometimes you don't know when it will close. Depending on each online trophy requirements I been through the grind, luck, placing on leaderboard, need players and so on. Online trophies will never go away but if you really do want to earn that platinum or 100% that decision is up to you. I gotten to know a lot of great people who have helped me and there will be some that will not from what I experienced. It is disappointing to see game servers go down though. 

Edited by J2V_89
  • Like 1

NBA 2K14 and 2K15 had a trophy called "another day, another win" on PS3, these trophies became unobtainable before the servers closed because the mode lasted only as long as an NBA season in progress.

MLB 2K had one where you could only get it during the all-star weekend. That means they were obtainable for a grand total of 3-4 days. FYI NBA 2K15 "Another Day another Win" was obtainable again during the 2016 season (At least it was at the end of the season). I don't know if 2k14 was obtainable during 2015, but it was obviously shut down before 2016.