Post Your Newest PlayStation Vita Game

Parker

Wrong. Only the "retail" release of the PS3/PS4-bundle had a download code. Vita-version got a real cartridge. ;)

Um... why on earth would any company do that? The whole point of having a physical edition is so you can have full control of the game, so that you can play it whenever you want independently of any delisting, not have to waste any time downloading it and save some hard drive space, not to mention that you can sell it back if you want to. Having a retail version with just a download code just means the profits will be split between the developer and the retailer and increased cost because of the game box. I mean, sure, having the box is nice, but when you have nothing in there for it to keep... what's the point, really?

Um... why on earth would any company do that? The whole point of having a physical edition is so you can have full control of the game, so that you can play it whenever you want independently of any delisting, not have to waste any time downloading it and save some hard drive space, not to mention that you can sell it back if you want to. Having a retail version with just a download code just means the profits will be split between the developer and the retailer and increased cost because of the game box. I mean, sure, having the box is nice, but when you have nothing in there for it to keep... what's the point, really?

The retail release was just advertised to include a poster, a small "artbook" and a key chain and it was clearly stated on the packaging itself that it only contained a download code and no disc. Why they did this? I don't know but I guess the simple answer is: for the profits. An additional retail version of the game offers the possibility that you can actually reach a larger audience of people than by just offering the game as a download-game.

There are other devs who also did this: Square Enix with the EU-release of Drakengard 3 (hey we listened to you and will release a limited retail release.... with a download code inside) and Nintendo (they released some eShop-games like Nintendo Pocket Football Club as a retail-box with only a download code inside). Not to forget the PC-people. There are several retail games with only the Steam Web Installer on disc (AFAIK Metal Gear Solid 5).

• Like 1

The retail release was just advertised to include a poster, a small "artbook" and a key chain and it was clearly stated on the packaging itself that it only contained a download code and no disc. Why they did this? I don't know but I guess the simple answer is: for the profits. An additional retail version of the game offers the possibility that you can actually reach a larger audience of people than by just offering the game as a download-game.

There are other devs who also did this: Square Enix with the EU-release of Drakengard 3 (hey we listened to you and will release a limited retail release.... with a download code inside) and Nintendo (they released some eShop-games like Nintendo Pocket Football Club as a retail-box with only a download code inside). Not to forget the PC-people. There are several retail games with only the Steam Web Installer on disc (AFAIK Metal Gear Solid 5).

Thanks for clarifying. Still, it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. As long as they're doing all that, might as well get the actual game in there. The disc can't be all that expensive.

And that tidbit about PC games was pretty interesting (I rarely ever play on my PC, so I wouldn't really know). So, many of the very few retail PC games that still come out are nothing more than a box with a steam code on it? Well, guess it's official: physical games are dead on PC. Suppose it's only a matter of time before they leave consoles as well.

And that tidbit about PC games was pretty interesting (I rarely ever play on my PC, so I wouldn't really know). So, many of the very few retail PC games that still come out are nothing more than a box with a steam code on it? Well, guess it's official: physical games are dead on PC. Suppose it's only a matter of time before they leave consoles as well.

Nah, not really. It's just because Steam is literally dominating the PC industry. It's simply not profitable to put physical versions.

Plus, PC master race is all about big AAA titles that are are highly over 50GB, it would be ridiculous if every physical game came with 10 DVDs =D (They can't freely use BDs as BD mechanics are not that widespread, that's why consoles can use them and provide physical copies even for those big titles, obviously with 20GB of updates =D)

Plus, Japan, there's always Japan :awesome:

They will never stop producing physical versions =D

• Like 1