P.T. Can No Longer Be Downloaded, Even From Your Library

Azaan60

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/p-t-can-no-longer-be-downloaded-even-from-your-ps4/1100-6427124/?utm_source=gamefaqs&utm_medium=partner&utm_content=news_module&utm_campaign=hub_platform

P.T., the playable teaser for Silent Hills, has been taken off the PlayStation servers and now no longer downloadable on the PS4; even for players who have added the teaser to your library before the game was removed from the PlayStation Store. Players who have P.T. in their PlayStation library and try to download the game will be met with an error message that reads "Cannot download."

We've tested the process on PS4, and the game is no longer downloadable even if you have downloaded it before. If the game is deleted from the library it is now gone for good.

2860565-20150506144042.jpg

Publisher Konami announced in April that the teaser would be removed from the PSN store. The announcement was made at a time when developer Kojima Productions was in some upheaval, as GameSpot has been told that Hideo Kojima would be leaving the company following the release of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.

P.T. was removed from the PlayStation Store in late April. However, at the time, the playable teaser could still be re-downloaded if it was deleted, so long as it was added to a user's library. That is no longer the case.

Given that the teaser cannot be downloaded at all anymore, perhaps the number of eBay listings for PlayStation 4's with P.T. installed on their hard drives will increase.

Edited by Azaan60
  • Like 2

I thought that was the whole point of downloading it before they took it off the Store, since it wouldn't download even if it was from your library. So I'm not sure why it seems unexpected.

Another sign that digital only future is a bad idea.

Except it was a free demo so that would seem to make the whole "digital is bad and/or evil" argument rather irrelevant since all that was removed was something that nobody spent money on in the first place. Now if it was a demo that had people actually had to buy then the there would actually be validity to this argument. 

Edited by ScutumMagister

Except it was a free demo so that would seem to make the whole "digital is bad and/or evil" argument rather irrelevant since all that was removed was something that nobody spent money on in the first place. Now if it was a demo that had people actually had to buy then the there would actually be validity to this argument. 

True that, however digital content is something you actually don't own forever and this is just small of examples of the dark side when it comes to digital content. Take the virtual world PlayStation Home for example, while it was and i also consider it a failure, Sony shut down the service and well people spend real money in there, only to see it all go away. PSN, Xbox Live Steam etc. are not reliable. If Sony decides to remove certain games from your library paid or not they can do it  and there is nothing the users can do about it. Digital future yeah right....

True that, however digital content is something you actually don't own forever and this is just small of examples of the dark side when it comes to digital content. Take the virtual world PlayStation Home for example, while it was and i also consider it a failure, Sony shut down the service and well people spend real money in there, only to see it all go away. PSN, Xbox Live Steam etc. are not reliable. If Sony decides to remove certain games from your library paid or not they can do it  and there is nothing the users can do about it. Digital future yeah right....

PS Home is actually still different though, it was essentially an MMO hub and MMOs always shut down yet people keep playing them.

PS Home is actually still different though, it was essentially an MMO hub and MMOs always shut down yet people keep playing them.

Um no, it was like a Second Life thing. Don't be surprised if you can't download your PS3 games in 5 years or so. Plus  2 months ago if i remember correctly, Sony bought a digital streaming service only to shut it down, same thing can happen to them you never know.

Edit: 

P.T. has an expiration date of 12/31/2015 after that you won't be able to play the game even if you never deleted it.

Edit 2:

P.T. expiration date is only shown if you downloaded the demo from the Germany region as PS+ was required in order to download it. People from that region can re-download the demo as long they continue being a PS+ subscriber.

Edited by Paige

Another sign that digital only future is a bad idea.

Unfortunately you are correct; when you buy a digital game, you don't actually buy the game, you're only buying a license to play that game, similar to buying a license to use certain software on your laptop. And, of course, that license can be revoked at any time.

With physical games, that copy is yours and yours alone.

I have games both physical and digital, and incidents like this involving digital stuff are worrying. I know this is only a demo so it hasn't gone straight to removing people's full games yet, but still.

Um no, it was like a Second Life thing. Don't be surprised if you can't download your PS3 games in 5 years or so. Plus  2 months ago if i remember correctly, Sony bought a digital streaming service only to shut it down, same thing can happen to them you never know.

With the discontinuation of P.T. i see the PS4  installed with this demo selling now. 

A streaming service is very different to a digital download as you require access 24/7 to use it. Digital content is very different and as yet there hasn't been any examples I can think of where people actually lost the digital games they had. There is usually warning if servers close down anyway.

So I can download the game locally and still play it. If I wreck my computer/console its the same consequence as if i wrecked a physical disc. On the converse side if someones house is robbed they lose those games to so digital was better in that context.