This game is actually pretty good.

Despite Prince of Persia 2008 being a trainwreck, this game is actually pretty fun. You have a basic upgrade system, unlocking things by collecting exp from killing monsters (what else?) You can also collect health and magic power from them, as well as breakable objects. Later in the game, you can get 4 magic powers (Stone Armor, and fire/ice/wind elemental attacks. Stone Armor is by far the most useful one), as well as power over water and the power to repair ruined parts of the environment, as well as the basic "rewind" function from Sands of Time.

The game is rather easy and short though, but it's definitely worth $20, which should be what it's going for now. It's also a fairly easy platinum...it was my the second of my three platinums.

Despite Prince of Persia 2008 being a trainwreck, this game is actually pretty fun. You have a basic upgrade system, unlocking things by collecting exp from killing monsters (what else?) You can also collect health and magic power from them, as well as breakable objects. Later in the game, you can get 4 magic powers (Stone Armor, and fire/ice/wind elemental attacks. Stone Armor is by far the most useful one), as well as power over water and the power to repair ruined parts of the environment, as well as the basic "rewind" function from Sands of Time.

The game is rather easy and short though, but it's definitely worth $20, which should be what it's going for now. It's also a fairly easy platinum...it was my the second of my three platinums.

Yep, for a weekend-rental style affair with an easy plat you're quite right, it's a lot of fun, and a decent if not spectacular entry in the PoP series.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Thank you guys for the props on this game. I will have to check it out!

Isn't it a bummer when so many games are really not that fun and yet that is what games should be is fun! So to see some one post about a game actually being fun gets my interest. Maybe some one should make a permanent thread for games that are noteworthily entertaining and unique and...yeah... fun! :rolleyes:

Guess I am the minority that liked Prince of Persia 2008. Sure some things where not the best but the art style was amazing. Would have plated it but back when I played it I didn't trophy hunt.

Prince of Persia 2008 was the best one in the series.

The Forgotton Sands was atrocious.

I agree. PoP 2008 was a good game IMO.  I would say it was a different kind of game to previous PoP games, which may be what the others have a problem with?  It wasn't a beat-em-up, and it shouldn't be compared to beat-em-ups (any more than you'd compare Halo Wars to Halo Reach).

I agree. PoP 2008 was a good game IMO.  I would say it was a different kind of game to previous PoP games, which may be what the others have a problem with?  It wasn't a beat-em-up, and it shouldn't be compared to beat-em-ups (any more than you'd compare Halo Wars to Halo Reach).

The no-dying thing was weird, other than that I liked the game

Immortality killed the game. It was weird to have the Prince not be the man we had been dealing with for years, but it was underatandable. Try to reboot the franchise in a different way. I didn't mind that. What I had an issue with was 1) the immortality as I said and 2) the overall lack of enjoyable combat. It was almost pure platforming, which is perfectly fine in its own right, but felt out of place in a PoP game.

Edited by DeceptiKHAAAAAN

• 1 year later...

Guess I am the minority that liked Prince of Persia 2008. Sure some things where not the best but the art style was amazing. Would have plated it but back when I played it I didn't trophy hunt.

Yeah I loved the 2008 reboot, I'm working through the Forgotten Sands right now, but as it stands (for me) the 2008 game is the second best of the 3D games after Sands of Time.

Immortality killed the game. It was weird to have the Prince not be the man we had been dealing with for years, but it was underatandable. Try to reboot the franchise in a different way. I didn't mind that. What I had an issue with was 1) the immortality as I said and 2) the overall lack of enjoyable combat. It was almost pure platforming, which is perfectly fine in its own right, but felt out of place in a PoP game.

Dealing with for years? The prince had a serious identity crisis in the PS2 trilogy. Not to mention he looks drastically different in every iteration of the game, which always annoyed me :lol: . Also, I understand how people wouldn't like the combat but... the fighting in the prince of persia games have ALWAYS been lackluster. Literally none of them have good combat. In fact, I'd go as far to say that I thought the 1on1 style in 2008 was the best in the series (which isn't saying much). The only issues were it was too easy and all the non-boss enemies are fought in the same way, but I liked how satisfying a perfect parry felt.

• 3 months later...

I live in a world where people say platforming is out of place in a Prince of Persia game.

Good lord. 

Anyway the immortality thing was purely aesthetic anyway. For example you screw up a jump and the game sends you back to the last platform, i.e. checkpoint. During a boss if you lost all of your health you'd be sent back to the last checkpoint of the boss and so on. Overall I liked it. The platforming was fun and the banter between the leads was quite funny. 

Edited by LunchCannon54
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Anyway the immortality thing was purely aesthetic anyway. For example you screw up a jump and the game sends you back to the last platform, i.e. checkpoint. During a boss if you lost all of your health you'd be sent back to the last checkpoint of the boss and so on. Overall I liked it. The platforming was fun and the banter between the leads was quite funny. 

Exactly. It does not make any difference for a "modern" game whether you are set back to a checkpoint 2m before the place you died or if some Elika pulls you out of the pit.

So no idea what everyone was complaining about. On the contrary, one could say it is even better for the flow of the game. And there was a trophy supposed to pop if Elika didn't have to save your ass more than a 100 times (even tho the trophy was positively glitched, as well as the time limit trophy).

Every PoP game was good, but Sands of Time, 2008 and The Forgotten Sands were my favorites, the latter being my first platinum ever.

• Like 1

Exactly. It does not make any difference for a "modern" game whether you are set back to a checkpoint 2m before the place you died or if some Elika pulls you out of the pit.

So no idea what everyone was complaining about. On the contrary, one could say it is even better for the flow of the game. And there was a trophy supposed to pop if Elika didn't have to save your ass more than a 100 times (even tho the trophy was positively glitched, as well as the time limit trophy).

Every PoP game was good, but Sands of Time, 2008 and The Forgotten Sands were my favorites, the latter being my first platinum ever.

Yes they were indeed positively glitched, but the DLC versions of those trophies weren't, meaning you had to actually beat it in under two hours and not get saved 20 or so times I think it was. 

True, which was good. That way there was at least some challenge to it. The DLC was like a hard(er) PoP 2008 recap.

Oh yes it was. I remember getting pretty shitty at one of the enemies I had to quick kill. MUCH harder than the main game (I completed it on Xbox 360, for reference.). Probably won't do it again on PS3 unless the DLC and main game go on sale. 

• 6 months later...

I live in a world where people say platforming is out of place in a Prince of Persia game.

Good lord. 

to me the failure of POP 2008 is exactly the platforming. The platform in that game is way too flat and with any challenge, even for a light gamer like me. Majority of the time you were just running from place to place. That's also the reason I liked Forgotten Sands. The power of flow is an interesting touch adding to the old style platforming.

You are not the only one, I quite enjoyed the 2008 Prince of Persia as well. Looking forward to playing Forgotten Sands once I get through Rogue Galaxy (which is an incredible PS2 RPG).