Let's Play SO4: Return of the Epic Quest

• 2 weeks later...

Edge Maverick woke up from the feeling of uneasiness. A quick glance at the clock told him that it was night by the Earth time, 2:00 AM. He waited a little, getting his thoughts in order, and realized the source of his anxiety. There was no familliar voice echoing in his head, snarkily telling him to “stop fussing and go back to your beauty sleep”. In fact, the presence he got so used to was completely gone.

Edge carefully got up, hastily donned the uncomfortable, stupid uniform, exited the room, and ran down the stairs. The USTA-Calnus Recreation Room met him with silence and darkness... and two crimson orbs blazing right in the center of the room. A quick flick of the switch turned on the lights, revealing the pale winged figure sitting behind the table, as tangible and real as the Edge himself.

I see you have finally noticed the emptiness in your stupid head.” Red eyes switched to yellow.The vampiric demon was happily grinning, giving Egde a great demonstration of his... dental arsenal.

Very funny. What’s going on?” Edge walked to the table and stared at his companion.

Can’t you see?” The no-longer-spirit-like spirit stopped grinning and got up, giving the captain of the Calnus a serious look. “My job here is done.

Don’t tell me. You’ve woke me up in the dead of the night to...

Yes. This is goodbye, Mr. Maverick.

But- everyone-

Do not need to know. You, and only you was my main host. I was but a passing guest in the minds of everyone else.”  Yellow eyes twinkled. “Though, Arumat’s head was pretty great... I wish I’d gotten him instead of you.

Hey!

Just kidding. You are a good person, Edge. I admit that I was harsh to you, mostly because you so reminded me of him-” His eyes blazed red for a moment. “Especially when you went into your moping stage after that time... but you are not him, and I shouldn’t have hated you for the mishaps of another person...

The demon apolegetically waved his hand and strolled to the entrance to the Command Room.

Well, even despite all the stupid things you’ve done, and the near loss of my sanity, I must say... this was a great Contract. I don’t regret taking it.

The black mist suddenly poured out of the air, congealing into the solid object. The vampire held out his hands, absorbing the mist, and easily caught the object it concealed. After inspecting the object – a small statue, made of the shining white metal, he let out a chuckle.

Of all the things...

Edge came closer to take a look. “Is this... a Roakian bunny?

Yep. Fitting, I must say. This is my reward for enduring your idiocy till the end.” A quick snap of the fingers, and the shining statue of the bunny dissapeared.

Where did it...

Home.” He sighed. “Speaking of home, it’s time for me to go too.” 

The clawed hand hit the airlock button, forcefully opening the hatch. Edge stopped gaping and caught his arm, preventing the demon from entering the airlock.

No! The space will-!

It won’t be able to do anything to the one who never was a part of this world to begin with,” the pale arm effortlessly phased right through Edge’s grip. “See? Don’t forget – I have no place here.

Please, wait-

Farewell, Blond Nuisance.” He hit the “Eject” button, and the hatches moved, cutting Edge off and throwing his body into open space.

~~||~~

The Calnus was slowly drifting away, and he was falling into the endless ocean of stars, his body rippling with the black mist. Myriads of tiny orbs of light shone around him, and he sighed, taking in the marvelous sight.

The outlines of countless ghostly ships sailed past him, slowly becoming more and more solid, an endless armada on its voyage to the afterlife. Two familliar ships and a little spacecraft flew closer to him, and he choked, recognizing Aquilla, Calnus and Sol. Very soon Belena, Dantelion and Eremia joined their siblings. Finally reunited SRF-ships danced around him in the formation, and with a farewell blast of the warp-drives, raced towards the blazing stars in the distance, taking their final flight.

He looked at the six ships until they, too, became twinkling stars in the distance, swallowed by the vast reaches of space.

Exiting this way was really, truly worth it.”, he whispered.

And then the Void took him. 

~~Final Stats~~

47/47 Trophies

900/900 Battle Trophies

Main Galaxy Cycle: 447:47 Hours

Alternate [Faize] Galaxy Cycle: 144:43 Hours

Universe Cycle: 13:17 Hours

Chaos Cycle: 11:00 Hours

Total Time: 616:47 Hours

29:09:2015 - 01:10:2016

Profile and Milestone pics:

1241f52a92982f12ce0746be3b1daddb.png

8d7febc9fcc8eeb68c4a4a5c4c2d39a4.png

And a crappy platinum photo to tie things up: 

8jIZ2xn.jpg

Well, this is it, everyone. My Epic Quest is officially over.

Now, where was that mansion again?

Congrats on completing thy voyage comrade, I haven't checked the quest in awhile since I've been the plat race

Milestone is proper Btw 2,000 and 30th  B)

Chest bump So4 style

tumblr_lph6ctQvIN1qbvovho1_500.gif

*snip*

~~Final Stats~~

47/47 Trophies

900/900 Battle Trophies

Main Galaxy Cycle: 447:47 Hours

Alternate [Faize] Galaxy Cycle: 144:43 Hours

Universe Cycle: 13:17 Hours

Chaos Cycle: 11:00 Hours

Total Time: 616:47 Hours

29:09:2015 - 01:10:2016

Profile and Milestone pics:

1241f52a92982f12ce0746be3b1daddb.png

8d7febc9fcc8eeb68c4a4a5c4c2d39a4.png

And a crappy platinum photo to tie things up: 

8jIZ2xn.jpg

Well, this is it, everyone. My Epic Quest is officially over.

Now, where was that mansion again?

I haven't forgotten about the Epic Reward, Dave's been busy these past few weeks.

• 1 month later...

Ah, too bad it’s November already. I would have joined you on this epic quest.

Leave a sign for me, so that when I reach the place you did, I shall be reminded of your great achievements and salute your braveness.

Yeah, unfortunately we're already past the point of no return, so there isn't any room for new participants in this expedition. But feel free to log your adventures in this thread :D.

Ah, too bad it’s November already. I would have joined you on this epic quest.

Leave a sign for me, so that when I reach the place you did, I shall be reminded of your great achievements and salute your braveness.

Yes the quest is closed but the Mansion will be open to all who accomplish this task :)...except for people who abandoned the quest...they are forever branded as quitters :(

• 2 weeks later...

Woah, it's December already. Got trapped inside of the study anomaly and lost all track of time as a result...

No updates at all too... The comm channels are silent. Will I remain as the last one to finish the Quest?

And also, will I get the shiny chalice to show off in my yet-nonexistent checklist-thread-thing before this year draws to a close?

I was planning to come back and finish up the quest as my 100th plat, but if you saw me ranting on the THTL threads, I've been too busy with work to put any time into actually completing this. 

How much time do you think this'll take me if I have the 30k on Arumat and probably about 20k on Edge and haven't missed any of the missable quests or treasures (I hope)? I know I haven't grinded a lot of the rare drops and any decent weapons yet.

I was planning to come back and finish up the quest as my 100th plat, but if you saw me ranting on the THTL threads, I've been too busy with work to put any time into actually completing this. 

How much time do you think this'll take me if I have the 30k on Arumat and probably about 20k on Edge and haven't missed any of the missable quests or treasures (I hope)? I know I haven't grinded a lot of the rare drops and any decent weapons yet.

We will see you in couple of 100 hours I would say :)

200-300 hours for sure. Drops are timesinks (especially if you haven't even touched Bacchus's ones, for me Meracle's drops also took like two weeks to complete), Edge's kills, even the 10k, are timesinks, item synthing is a big timesink, and WD runs are hell (Mainly due to the freezes, not the difficulty. Single run takes around 3-4 hours.).

Well... the only way you'll be able to make it in time is by playing nothing but SO4 every day of the month. And since you're busy...

is this quest getting near the end

Yeah, it sure is. Tough to believe, really.

(Because literally no forum event can compare to it in epicness, obviously. Even despite the fact it has totally died down near the end.)

Edited by NetEntity

200-300 hours for sure. Drops are timesinks (especially if you haven't even touched Bacchus's ones, for me Meracle's drops also took like two weeks to complete), Edge's kills, even the 10k, are timesinks, item synthing is a big timesink, and WD runs are hell (Mainly due to the freezes, not the difficulty. Single run takes around 3-4 hours.).

Well... the only way you'll be able to make it in time is by playing nothing but SO4 every day of the month. And since you're busy...

Yeah, it sure is. Tough to believe, really.

(Because literally no forum event can compare to it in epicness, obviously. Even despite the fact it has totally died down near the end.)

Man just reading your post started bring back terrible memories :|

Man just reading your post started bring back terrible memories :|

This expedition sure left us with a PTSD.

"Out of the team of fifty-one, only twelve remained standing on the bloodsoaked battlefield, littered with bodies of dropouts, surrounded by the platinum glow. A few wounded, drained, tired warriors were still dragging themselves to the coveted beacon of light, but the time was mercilless, seconds ticking on. 28 Days left. No one of them was going to make it."

I wonder if there'll be something akin to a grand finale on Jan 1st...

Edited by NetEntity
  • Like 1

"Out of the team of fifty-one, only twelve remained standing on the bloodsoaked battlefield, littered with bodies of dropouts, surrounded by the platinum glow. A few wounded, drained, tired warriors were still dragging themselves to the coveted beacon of light, but the time was mercilless, seconds ticking on. 28 Days left. No one of them was going to make it."

Yeah lot of people talked big at the beginning...but didn't have the stamina :D

And also, will I get the shiny chalice to show off in my yet-nonexistent checklist-thread-thing before this year draws to a close?

I've been having trouble with locating the blacksmith that creates the rewards. He pops up every now and then before disappearing.

is this quest getting near the end

Yeah, it is.

Lol :lol:.

What kind of grand finale did you have in mind?

Woah, it's December already. Got trapped inside of the study anomaly and lost all track of time as a result...

No updates at all too... The comm channels are silent. Will I remain as the last one to finish the Quest?

Well, I went on a hunting trip and tracked down Dave, so here they are :D :

ZtWoR2n.pngr8z52QD.png

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 2

Well, I went on a hunting trip and tracked down Dave, so here they are :D:

These beauties will look great in my cave hideout. Many thanks!

What kind of grand finale did you have in mind?

Well, I have no idea... Just feel that the event of this caliber needs to end with a Bang. There must be... something to commemorate all the hardships we've went through.