100% Digital

Daditude_

The idea of buying games via retail is completely asinine to me.

-Cheaper since to tax.

-Won't get stolen/lost/broken

-Convenient to purchase & switch games

-Easily transfer entire library across the world to any other PS4

-Gamesharing

The only viable counter-argument is that you can't re-sell digital games, but I like to collect games permanently so I may look back & play them years later for nostalgia, or perhaps to platinum an old game I never got around to.

^ to you maybe

Here in Australia, Digital cost more then physical, internet is capped to most people, that's some counter-argument for you. I'm sure Australia isn't alone, I know Australia isn't alone. Do what you want, or argue about it??

Edited by Z1MZUM

Oh man, sorry there GIONA, that sounded very wrong, I'm at work and having flashbacks of trolls from the MS site taking the piss out of "other Countries" under the same topic, weird how easy that was to trigger.

Digital is out of the question with limited internet and prices that are way above physical here in Aus, example would be Witcher 3, Hard copy with OST, Map and stickers for $69. Digital copy with nothing but data for $99.

On the other hand, the 3DS on digital is cheaper and easier.

The idea of buying games via retail is completely asinine to me.

-Cheaper since to tax.

-Won't get stolen/lost/broken

-Convenient to purchase & switch games

-Easily transfer entire library across the world to any other PS4

-Gamesharing

The only viable counter-argument is that you can't re-sell digital games, but I like to collect games permanently so I may look back & play them years later for nostalgia, or perhaps to platinum an old game I never got around to.

1. Digital purchases are taxed in most places. If you're in a place where it isn't, I'm pretty jealous of you.
  2. If you get banned from PSN, you can't play your games.
  3. I agree with this point.
  4. I'm not entirely sure why you would want to do this. You only really need 1 PS4.
  5. We do not discuss digital gamesharing on this website in a positive light. If you are found to be sharing your account or other accounts by Sony, your account can be banned from PSN and all of your digital purchases are gone. I would advise you don't gameshare.
Edited by theguytom

Physical 95% the rest, are digital only, or the deal was so damn good I couldn't pass it up/the game has a questionable quality and the price is so low I won't hate myself for buying it... If a game is less than a dollar for the digital version, I'll buy that in a heartbeat... not to mention, If I want to add it to my collection of physical... all together it wouldn't have cost me much. 

1. Digital purchases are taxed in most places. If you're in a place where it isn't, I'm pretty jealous of you.
  2. If you get banned from PSN, you can't play your games.
  3. I agree with this point.
  4. I'm not entirely sure why you would want to do this. You only really need 1 PS4.
  5. We do not discuss digital gamesharing on this website in a positive light. If you are found to be sharing your account or other accounts by Sony, your account can be banned from PSN and all of your digital purchases are gone. I would advise you don't gameshare.

Jack Tretton publicly endorsed & encouraged gamesharing several years ago at an E3 conference. It's situationally fair if, say, your brother has his own PS4 and you don't want to buy the same game twice. I may not gameshare myself, but it is still an incentive for families & risk-takers alike.

Also: no digital tax in CA, and point #4 is useful for visiting friends or moving to a new geographical location.

They have so many good sales on digital games that I don't think twice before picking up a game for 1 to 5 bucks. I think the most I ever spend was 10 on a digital game. On the other hand, for bigger games, it's usually cheaper to buy a used copy off of facebook. I got the Assassin's Creed trilogy for 10 bucks physical when it would probably have cost me a lot more on digital. If I'm going to pay full price for a game, however, I'm going to do it physically rather then digitally just so I feel like I didn't just spend sixty bucks on a game file :P

But really, the other positive for physical for me was 1- resell value and 2-I can pass it down to my little brothers. But, since I can't get more then three bucks for any old PS3 game (if I'm lucky) and my little brothers are basically the dark hole of no return for disks, I generally just hoard the disks, never to be played again. At least with digital I can delete it and not have it clogging up my shelves.

Basically, I'm for whatever is cheaper :P I'm probably leaning towards more digital, but I won't toss up a good physical copy.

Only if it's digital only or really cheap. I prefer having a collection of casses with nice artwork and a booklet if the developers/publishers can be bothered. If for whatever reason I loose my account or Sony goes under leaving PSN offline, at least I still have the games to continue playing.

Also, I don't know why sharing digital games is always put under a bad light. I let my brother download my games, it's the same as sharing discs only I don't need 2 copies just to play a co-op game with him.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll buy digital if it's a lot cheaper. If I like the game enough or if the price is right, I'll rebuy it physically. I'll also make the initial purchase physically if the price is right.

I'm the same as that. Ireland is a total rip off for games, at least 60% more expensive than the UK and the USA from what I can see. We only have Gamestop so seeing how they have no competition they literally rack up the price of things sky high even if the game has been around for months, if not years. For example I wanted to play Rachet and Clank: Tools of Destruction but there is no digital copy of it. I was forced to fork out €20 for a preowned version of a 2007 game. Total load of bullshit to be honest like. I tend to buy whatever is cheaper unless I really like the game, I am not spending an additional 10-15 euro just for a box.

Physical only.

I don't like that you're only renting digital games and they can lock you out of them whenever they want.

inb4 ''Don't break the rules lol'' it's not that they will, I just don't like that they can.

I will only ever buy digital if it's something I don't mind losing and/or incredibly cheap.

If I can't at least import a physical copy (Drakengard 3) I just won't buy it if it's over £5.

When games become digital only that'll probably be the end of my gaming days.

I mostly go digital if I don't see a retail copy of the game I really wanted or the price is incredibly cheap. Even didgitwl can be better because it won't be broken compared to retail discs where the last time I try buying Sleeping Dogs in GameStop cover since it was cheap where I was installing it was stuck to 26%.

For Retail sometimes I may have to buy it if I don't see the game on PSN like Heavy Rain, cheaper prices as well.

Overall I like buying digital games better.

Digital can choke on a huge donkey penis.

I spit in the face of companies that cut their need for resources by 95%, but still have the gall to charge the same extortionate prices. For decades, game companies used the resources as their main excuse for the need for their pricing. Now, they've corralled and cornered the population to a place where they no longer need to use the resources but, seem to have suddenly fallen silent when it comes to the lack of price lowering.

If you support the digital trend, you're only condemning the future generations to be taken advantage of and seeing it as completely normal and acceptable.

I gave up on digital when I realized it was impossible to share games with my brother.  Tried to play Shadow of Mordor on my account, via installation from my brothers account on my PS4... and it locked me out.  This means if I got a game and I wanted to share with my brother, he wouldn't be able to play it either.

Yeah, there's some method of swapping "primary PS4s" that technically would make his games work on my PS4... losing the benefits of having a primary PS4 in the process... but want to take a guess how I can avoid this altogether?  Something that we've all been doing for decades?  And really have no good reason to stop?  That's right... physical copies of games.  They work great, they look great, I can lend them to friends and family.

I've sworn off digital altogether now, or I'm trying at least.  I'm actively not buying games, even ones I really want, if they are exclusively digital.  The last thing I need in my gaming life, is to make it shamefully clear I'm borrowing the game I just bought from Sony (even if physical discs are technically "licensed" as well).  Shenmue III may force my hand unfortunately, since I will be buying that no matter what.  We'll see though.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn