Upgrade - PS Vita (1000) to PS Vita Slim (2000) ?

markcavan

Okay, so I've had a PS Vita (1000) for about 5 years now and I use it on average 2-3 hours every day.  With this amount of usage its still in good condition and the only real item to note is the rear touchpad is not as sensitive as it use to be.  I'd not really considered upgrading to a PS Vita Slim (2000) as I'd heard the display is not really as good as the PS Vita (1000) and the battery life is only marginally better.  But I'm considering upgrading now...

So, has many people decided to upgrade to the slim version after having the older module ? Was it worth the move and was there any regrets ? Assuming I use the same PSN account is it easy to transfer data and save files over ?

EDIT:  Actually was just over 2 years ago :-) My bad thinking I had it for 5 years!

Edited by markcavan

Transferring should be easy since everything is stuck on the memory card. I say upgrade but keep the old one if you decide to switch back. I also noticed that the first feels premium, top of the top quality compared to the new one. 

• Like 1

Okay, so I've had a PS Vita (1000) for about 5 years now and I use it on average 2-3 hours every day.  With this amount of usage its still in good condition and the only real item to note is the rear touchpad is not as sensitive as it use to be.  I'd not really considered upgrading to a PS Vita Slim (2000) as I'd heard the display is not really as good as the PS Vita (1000) and the battery life is only marginally better.  But I'm considering upgrading now...

So, has many people decided to upgrade to the slim version after having the older module ? Was it worth the move and was there any regrets ? Assuming I use the same PSN account is it easy to transfer data and save files over ?

Vita was released in 2011 (JP), how did you get it 5 years ago? :jaymon:

OT : If the OLED Vita works fine, I suggest you keep it. I prefer the OLED one over the newer one mainly because of the screen of course. If you want a lighter and slimmer Vita, then yeah upgrade I guess.

• Like 1

OT : If the OLED Vita works fine, I suggest you keep it. I prefer the OLED one over the newer one mainly because of the screen of course. If you want a lighter and slimmer Vita, then yeah upgrade I guess.

Must have been a typo...oR OP IS A TIME TRAVELER

OT: I wouldn't know, cause I have only had the Slim, wish I could help haha

• Like 2

Feels like 5 years but must be less, got it about 2-3 months after it was released in europe.

From someone who exchanged their Slim for OLED recently, I'd say it's not worth the upgrade. Slim sure has a significantly better battery life but the drawbacks overshadow the few good things about the model. It feels cheap in a lot of ways. Keep your OLED  :wave:

• Like 1

I don't know that any Vita owner would call what you're asking "Upgrading." It's more like model switching.

As far as switching, it's such a subjective question because you're giving up one of the best mobile displays in gaming for a lighter device with better battery.

I have the 1000 and have the option for a free 2000, but I'm holding strong. If the OLED would go one notch *dimmer*, I would have no reason for switching.

Yes, you read that right, dimmer. I often play in a dark room and I want that darkness setting when you leave the Vita alone for a bit and it dims a little right before it's going to sleep! On the lowest brightness setting, that OLED still lights up the whole room.

Suggestion: Only switch if you're going to give your Vita to someone else and make them a vita-addict. 

• Like 3

Sorry to crash your post, OP, but as someone who is considering joining the Vita side soon, I'd just like to confirm something by the Vita Community. As far as I can tell, the differences between the two models are as such:

1000:

• Bigger and heavier
  • Less battery life
  • No Micro USB port
  • Start, Select and PS buttons are harder to press
  • Better screen (OLED)
  • 3G variant (though from what I gather, pretty much no one uses it)

2000:

• Slimmer and lighter
  • 50% more battery life
  • Micro USB Port
  • Start, Select and PS buttons are easier to press
  • Cheaper screen (LCD)
  • No 3G variant (see above)

As long as I didn't miss anything, The 2000 model clearly has more advantages, unless you really value the OLED screen.

Anything I missed, like for example, the build? Is it significantly different?

Edited by jrdemr

1000:

2000:

I think I'll now go out and get the 2000 model after reading this; a solid reason to switch

Edited by Aela
  • Like 2

Sorry to crash your post, OP, but as someone who is considering joining the Vita side soon, I'd just like to confirm something by the Vita Community. As far as I can tell, the differences between the two models are as such:

1000:

• Bigger and heavier
  • Less battery life
  • No Micro USB port
  • Better screen (OLED)
  • 3G variant (though from what I gather, pretty much no one uses it)

2000:

• Slimmer and lighter
  • 50% more battery life
  • Micro USB Port
  • Cheaper screen (LCD)
  • No 3G variant (see above)

As long as I didn't miss anything, The 2000 model clearly has more advantages, unless you really value the OLED screen.

Anything I missed, like for example, the build? Is it significantly different?

Nice way to look at it but don't think its as simple as more advantages over disadvantages.  The screen would be a major item, also the quality of the product when your holding it is another and I've heard the slim feels cheap.  Also add cost, slim is much less expensive over the older version.

Edited by markcavan
  • Like 1

I wouldn't suggest switching. The OLED screen is pretty important feature...

Like yea, 2000 looks more sexy, but that's all.

Must have been a typo...oR OP IS A TIME TRAVELER

Steins;Gate confirmed!

• 50% more battery life

WHAT?!

Wait, seriously? I mean... if this is correct, then does this mean you can play 12 hours on the Slim version?

If you don't mind the downgraded screen then I'd recommend switching over. I have both Vita 1000 and 2000. After spending some time wth the Vita 2000 it became my main driver. Once you get used to it, you won't notice much of a difference. The Vita 2000 is also more comfortable to hold in your hands. To be honest, it's a special capture card Vita that I ordered, so that's why it's my main Vita now. Although I still prefer the Vita 2000, it's great :D

In conclusion, if the screen change won't bother you much then totally go for it!

Getting a -2000 model isn't an upgrade in my opinion. The system looks and feels more cheaply made because it is more cheaply made. Sony put out the -2000 model the way it is to cut down the losses they're taking from the console. Shittier display, a port I'll never use, easier to press Start/Select buttons, and a better battery life that only matters for the rare times I've played a Vita for 8 hours straight without a break? That's a bad deal.

• Like 2

Wait, seriously? I mean... if this is correct, then does this mean you can play 12 hours on the Slim version?

Huh? I can play on my fat Vita for like 2 hours... maximum xD

@OP: Well, my memorycard died. As you can see, I have plenty of unfinished Vitagames that I havnt touched in a while. Vita-Slim has 1GB integrated memory, so I could at least play retailgames... right? :P ... This is one of the things normally nobody would think about, but, yeah... now it would be a nice thing xD

Edited by Neputyunu

I think I'll now go out and get the 2000 model after reading this; a solid reason to switch

Of course it is. ;)

In all seriousness now, I know it's not a big deal at all, but I just thought I'd list every difference.

I could squeeze between 6-8 hours in one setting depending on previous charge.

From what information I could gather, the 1000 has about 4h of battery, while the 2000 has 6h. Though I don't have a Vita personally (as I just said before that I was considering buying one), so I obviously haven't tested it. The variations in play time probably have to do with the way each person uses its Vita and the specific games they play in it.

Edited by jrdemr

I would say stick with the original model, for sure.

I bought my Vita just as the slim version was coming out. I knew I wanted to get a Vita at some point and the OLED screen was a huge plus for me so I rushed out and got the 1000 model before they became hard to find. The slim model is fine but the OLED screen of the 1000 greatly outweighs the advantages of the 2000 in my opinion. People complain about the battery life of the 1000 but I can easily get 6 hours out of a full charge, especially if you play with Wi-Fi and bluetooth off and that's more than enough game time for me. Also the 1000 does feel like a quality product and although I haven't actually held the 2000, I hear it feels cheap. The 1GB of memory that the slim comes with really isn't enough to do much with, I think I'll be fine with my 64GB card. :P I don't really see the bigger buttons on the 2000 as an advantage. I've never had trouble hitting the buttons on the original Vita, is that just me? 

I'm hoping that Sony announce a 3000 model at some point that has a Micro USB port, is lighter and has an OLED screen... I realize that there's like no way that will happen but let me dream okay!?  :D

• Like 1

The built in storage memory in Vita 2000 is not meant to hold entire games, just game saves and patches. It is meant for those who wants to go physical all the way and not spend money on an extra memory card. As you may or may not know, physical games on card was meant to keep the saves in them so people would not need and extra memory card. But it didn't quite turn out this way in the end. I know only one physical games that do not require an extra memory card, and that is Super monkey ball: banana splitz.

When I think about it, I don't know if it is possible to start and use a Vita 1000 without a memory card in it.

• Like 1

I don't think it's worth it unless you're giving your old one to someone else or you get the new one for free. It's got a slightly longer battery and 1GB internal storage that is only usable when you don't have a memory card in it. To me, it's not worth the money to upgrade it. If you were choosing between the two consoles to get for the first time, I would recommend the 2000 model because it comes with an 8GB card and a game for the same price as just buying a clean 1000 model without a memory card, but the differences are minor.

I would say stick with the original model, for sure.

I bought my Vita just as the slim version was coming out. I knew I wanted to get a Vita at some point and the OLED screen was a huge plus for me so I rushed out and got the 1000 model before they became hard to find. The slim model is fine but the OLED screen of the 1000 greatly outweighs the advantages of the 2000 in my opinion. People complain about the battery life of the 1000 but I can easily get 6 hours out of a full charge, especially if you play with Wi-Fi and bluetooth off and that's more than enough game time for me. Also the 1000 does feel like a quality product and although I haven't actually held the 2000, I hear it feels cheap. The 1GB of memory that the slim comes with really isn't enough to do much with, I think I'll be fine with my 64GB card. :P I don't really see the bigger buttons on the 2000 as an advantage. I've never had trouble hitting the buttons on the original Vita, is that just me? 

I'm hoping that Sony announce a 3000 model at some point that has a Micro USB port, is lighter and has an OLED screen... I realize that there's like no way that will happen but let me dream okay!?  :D

I too dream of a 3000 model :-)

• Like 1

I have been after a vita for a while now and i'm going for the OLED version , the replacement parts for the SLIM are cheap for a reason !

Also from the look of things if i have a vita OLED with a badly scratched screen i can just buy a new front screen (digitizer) for less then 20 quid ,

a new OLED back screen is 30 quid if that needed changing and i have the option to change one or the other 

with the SLIM you have to replace the complete unit as they come together (lcd&digitizer) and could cost you more money to fix in the long run

even tho parts are cheep if that makes sense ?

I have also noticed lots of vita slim on ebay for spares or not working so i assume they are prone to failure,

and going from experience with sony consoles ............. the first model they bring out is always built to last guaranteed !

if anyone out there is looking for vita on ebay try typing in VISTA instead and sometimes you will get lucky if they start it low enough

but be warned you might not get it if it's too low like 20 or 30 and there are no other bidders because they just wont send it and then they could take 

the piss giving your money back so you end up opening a case .

OLED all the way !  :D

• Like 1

If Sony released a 3000 model with an OLED screen plus the benefits that the 2000 model comes with, I would definitely trade in or sell my 1000 model.

The 2000 model looks nicer to me because it's all black (I don't like the silver on the 1000), plus the bigger buttons, and I like the idea of 2 hours extra battery life. I'm holding on to my 1000 though because of the OLED screen and the 2000 is a definite downgrade in that respect.

I know only one physical games that do not require an extra memory card, and that is Super monkey ball: banana splitz.

Virtua Tennis 4 and FIFA Football also hold save data on the actual game card itself too. I bought them both preowned and I had to erase the previous owners save datas on both games in order to earn trophies.