What is the future of your PS3 when the PS4 eventually arrives?

DanielVT

I keep hearing all the next-gen rumors, and I have started to consider the whole idea of another generation. All I can conceive is that they will have greatly improved graphics, and digital media will continue to spread. Either way, once I get my Vita later this year, I am totally going to start saving so I can get the PS4 day one once it arrives (hopefully late 2014). That brings me to the topic of this thread, what will become of your current PS3 once the PS4 arrives? As for me unless the PS4 is backwards compatible, I believe I shall keep my PS3 Slim. I hope to finish up a ton of games and play some new ones by the time the PS4 arrives. I have sold alot of my games and bought alot at the sametime, but nevertheless I still have a ton of games that I don't think I want to sell ever, or at least a long time, but by then they will have lost most of their value. What I am saying is that there probably won't be a slew of good PS4 games at launch, and I shall probably keep playing my PS3 and PS4 at the same time as trophies should coexist on one account as they do with the PS3 and Vita. Anyway, enough about me, what will you do? Will you keep your PS3 once you get a PS4? Will you sell your PS3 and use the money towards a PS4? Will you keep your PS3 and not bother with the PS4 indefinitely? Sound off below! :D

I probably won't buy a PS4 until my backlog of PS3 games is finished. By then the price will have come down to something more reasonable. I don't expect the PS4 to be released until 2015 anyway, plenty of time to never finish that backlog :lol: .

I know what you mean, I shall probably finish up (trophy-wise) most of my games, but there will most likely be a small chunk of games that I never get all the trophies for. Meh, who cares, as long as I get my average percentage to 90% I shall be a happy camper :P !

I'll keep my PS3 even if the PS4 does have backwards compatibility just to make things a little easier when managing downloaded games and DLC, I'd also rather not struggle with those copy protected saves besides it'll keep the PS4 free for only PS4/Vita stuff. I also refuse to trade games in now after regretting a few trade ins I have made.

Well, I still have my PS1 and PS2, so I'll be keeping my PS3 when I buy a PS4. I don't plan on buying a PS4 any time soon after it's released though. I'll be waiting until it comes down to a reasonable price, unless I can pick it up for a bargain. Still got loads of games to keep me busy in the meantime.

• Like 3

I have made a decision that I will not be buying a PS4 until a couple years after release. After reading the specs, I won't be able to afford the TV to take full advantage of it. I think Sony is in a major transition ( well the video game industry in general) and I want to sit on the sidelines and watch to see what happens. I have around 325 games currently for my ps3 and set my goal between 400-500 by the time its released. Odds are I will buy at least 1 maybe 2 more PS3's when all is said and done. I believe its a solid system, and the PS4 can wait.

• Like 3

I have made a decision that I will not be buying a PS4 until a couple years after release. After reading the specs, I won't be able to afford the TV to take full advantage of it. I think Sony is in a major transition ( well the video game industry in general) and I want to sit on the sidelines and watch to see what happens. I have around 325 games currently for my ps3 and set my goal between 400-500 by the time its released. Odds are I will buy at least 1 maybe 2 more PS3's when all is said and done. I believe its a solid system, and the PS4 can wait.

Fortunately my dad had a rage session and through a controller at the ground that bounced up and shattered our old 40''. I say fortunately because we upgraded to a top of the line 60'' LED SmartTV. I am sure the PS4 will not have a problem playing them. BTW holy crap man! That is a ton of games. I also completely agree that the PS3 is a VERY strong system. It should have beat the Xbox 360 as it had an incredible collection of exclusive games.

It depends on what the PS4 is. Will I even get a PS4? Will I be able to shelve my PS3 completely because the PS4 will do everything the PS3 does? I don't know because we know nothing truthful about it, and I find it completely pointless to listen to any of these rumors given by completely unreliable sources (some guy says this! some guy says that! wall street says this other thing! none of you are credible, so kindly shut up) that have been floating around for months.

It should have beat the Xbox 360 as it had an incredible collection of exclusive games.

Well, first of all, I didn't realize that PS4 was out now and that PS3 was dead. Should have? Had an incredible collection? That's not the past, PS3 is alive and well right now. As for beating 360 or whatever, what makes a console the "winner" anyway? Sales? Who gives a shit about sales? Wii sold more than both PS3 and 360, does that mean Wii is the winner? Does that mean Wii is the best console? Considering how rarely it gets a good title to play on it, I have to say HELL NO. So quit worrying about pointless sales numbers and look at your game library. Are you happy with your collection? Do you feel there are things missing that PS3 hasn't provided? Do you regret not having a 360 because there are some things you can't play? If you can answer "yes", "no", and "no", then congratulations. You and your PS3 "win". If you're happy without a 360, then you have "beaten" it. But this focus on pointless sales numbers is just silly. The only time sales numbers should ever matter to us as consumers is if something sells so poorly that nobody wants to make games for it. That isn't happening with PS3, so ignore them. Put aside your pointless sales number arms race and enjoy some great games.

Being so worried about what is to happen 2 years down the line means missing out of what there is available now. The industry already played their NEXT-GEN hype card in 1999. It didn't work in 2005 and it sure as hell ain't gonna play in 2012. When it comes out and is commonly available in the store, I'll worry about it then.

• Like 1

When it does come i'll be like, meh *shrugs* and i'll try not to jump on the hype train and be like omg omg PS4 ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... :lol:

I'll most likely wait a year or two when the hype dies down abit, see some decent games/services that i like, know more about the console and hope for dat sexy price drop that we all hope for.. :lol:

I'm not going to sell my PS3, i'm keeping it.. There are still some games in its library that i haven't tried so i'm good...

Might pick up a few sealed copies while i can tho... (cuz hey, you'll never know...)

The only thing that i might be worried about is my friends list, because i have some really awesome people on my list, so that might play a factor...

It depends on what the PS4 is. Will I even get a PS4? Will I be able to shelve my PS3 completely because the PS4 will do everything the PS3 does? I don't know because we know nothing truthful about it, and I find it completely pointless to listen to any of these rumors given by completely unreliable sources (some guy says this! some guy says that! wall street says this other thing! none of you are credible, so kindly shut up) that have been floating around for months.

Well, first of all, I didn't realize that PS4 was out now and that PS3 was dead. Should have? Had an incredible collection? That's not the past, PS3 is alive and well right now. As for beating 360 or whatever, what makes a console the "winner" anyway? Sales? Who gives a shit about sales? Wii sold more than both PS3 and 360, does that mean Wii is the winner? Does that mean Wii is the best console? Considering how rarely it gets a good title to play on it, I have to say HELL NO. So quit worrying about pointless sales numbers and look at your game library. Are you happy with your collection? Do you feel there are things missing that PS3 hasn't provided? Do you regret not having a 360 because there are some things you can't play? If you can answer "yes", "no", and "no", then congratulations. You and your PS3 "win". If you're happy without a 360, then you have "beaten" it. But this focus on pointless sales numbers is just silly. The only time sales numbers should ever matter to us as consumers is if something sells so poorly that nobody wants to make games for it. That isn't happening with PS3, so ignore them. Put aside your pointless sales number arms race and enjoy some great games.

Other than the fact that your reply was overly harsh, I understand what you are saying. I did not mean that the PS3 is dead yet, but from what IGN is reporting many publishers are not intending on releasing games after 2014 for current gen consoles. I would like the current-gen to last another three years (without new systems being released), but that will doubtfully happen. Either way, it is fun to speculate, and that was all I was doing. I personally think the PS3 is the best system this gen, but nevertheless, sales numbers give bragging rights whether you like it or not. Finally, the only game I regret not being on the PS3 is Call of Duty 2, I also regret that it took the PS3 so long to get trophies. Other than that, screw the crapbox360 :D !

When it does come i'll be like, meh *shrugs* and i'll try not to jump on the hype train and be like omg omg PS4 ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... :lol:

I'll most likely wait a year or two when the hype dies down abit, see some decent games/services that i like, know more about the console and hope for dat sexy price drop that we all hope for.. :lol:

I'm not going to sell my PS3, i'm keeping it.. There are still some games in its library that i haven't tried so i'm good...

Might pick up a few sealed copies while i can tho... (cuz hey, you'll never know...)

The only thing that i might be worried about is my friends list, because i have some really awesome people on my list, so that might play a factor...

I am a loyal Sony "fanboy" ( I guess that is what I would be called :P ) and I will try to get the PS4 day one. lol

Black Betty isn't going anywhere. She's staying connected to my TV, right next to the PS4.

Yeah, I named my PS3. I use it a lot. I also named my toilet, but that's irrelevant.

I think unless the PS4 is backwards compatible, that is what I shall do as well! :D However, I have not named my PS3. Also, I am intrigued as to what you named your toilet! :yay:

first of all i gotta say :o you have HOW MANY GAMES!?!?!?!?!

next, i just want to say, i feel the same way... I have so many games that i want to play on the PS3 but have time constraints and to top it off i enjoy JRPGs that usually take 100-200 hours to play (sometimes up to 2-3 months of gameplay per game)... If the PS4 came out in the next couple years i still wouldn't be caught up fully and thats not including the games that still haven't released yet...

I feel like they are only putting out a PS4 because Microsoft is throwing one out also... The reason i say that is because i feel like the PS3 is in its prime and still has SO much untapped potential...

• Like 1

Other than the fact that your reply was overly harsh, I understand what you are saying. I did not mean that the PS3 is dead yet, but from what IGN is reporting many publishers are not intending on releasing games after 2014 for current gen consoles. I would like the current-gen to last another three years (without new systems being released), but that will doubtfully happen. Either way, it is fun to speculate, and that was all I was doing. I personally think the PS3 is the best system this gen, but nevertheless, sales numbers give bragging rights whether you like it or not. Finally, the only game I regret not being on the PS3 is Call of Duty 2, I also regret that it took the PS3 so long to get trophies. Other than that, screw the crapbox360 :D !

There was nothing harsh about what I said. Basing your decision of what console "wins" based on sales numbers is just plain silly and there's no other way to look at it. Unless you're the one making a console (which you aren't), sales are not a measure of success for you and do not give you bragging rights, having lots of great games is. That's the truth, and there's nothing harsh about that whether you like it or not.

As for IGN, don't take too much stock in what they report. They generally just make things up as they go along. Nobody knows anything about the next set of consoles beyond what Nintendo has already said about WiiU. Don't let guessing and rumors dictate anything for you.

There was nothing harsh about what I said. Basing your decision of what console "wins" based on sales numbers is just plain silly and there's no other way to look at it. Unless you're the one making a console (which you aren't), sales are not a measure of success for you and do not give you bragging rights, having lots of great games is. That's the truth, and there's nothing harsh about that whether you like it or not.

As for IGN, don't take too much stock in what they report. They generally just make things up as they go along. Nobody knows anything about the next set of consoles beyond what Nintendo has already said about WiiU. Don't let guessing and rumors dictate anything for you.

Okay, I get it. lol :D You just sounded pissed lol.

Nah... i was just referring to all the crazyness that happened when the PS3 launched... that's all...

fanboys unite... lol :)

United indeed!!! :highfive:

When the PlayStation 4 comes my PlayStation 3 will go the same way of all my other consoles. Put in my game room hooked up to a television so whenever I feel the urge to give it some love I can. I've never sold a console and never will, and I still regularly play all my consoles. The PlayStation 4 may very well become my "go to" console but I'll never stop playing my others.

Parker

• Like 4

3rd World Throne (I have the worst toilet known to man)

Haha, it can't be THAT bad can it??? I mean in a third world country, they probably would not even have a toilet, and would just go behind a tree. lol

You ever sit on a toilet seat with a crack in it? Especially when it's wooden?

Lol, no I have sat in some bad bathrooms (convenience store ones), but not one with toilet seat with a crack in it by any means.

You ever sit on a toilet seat with a crack in it? Especially when it's wooden?

I would sell a few games just to get a comfortable dump if I happened to be that broke.

I don't care if PS4 comes out. There are still way too many games that I have yet to play on the PS3. Also, I take great care of my PS3. I have performed surgery on everything except the power source on my little machine. I think there are enough good games on the PS3 so that I probably won't every need another system. Hopefully, Sony won't kill PSN for PS3 for a long time after the PS4 comes out.

• 2 weeks later...