What is the future of your PS3 when the PS4 eventually arrives?

DanielVT

does anyone know if your profile & trophy info will carry over who wants 2 start over i only have 22 platinum but still dont wanna be lv 1 again that took me awhile i dont mind payin just bought a sony bravia 3D last year get 25% back in store credit so$ 400 will mostly cover it

does anyone know if your profile & trophy info will carry over who wants 2 start over i only have 22 platinum but still dont wanna be lv 1 again that took me awhile i dont mind payin just bought a sony bravia 3D last year get 25% back in store credit so$ 400 will mostly cover it

Nope, no one has any idea if our PSN accounts will be transferred to the PlayStation 4. Personally, I think that they will simply because Sony knows how much trophies and our "original" PSN profiles mean to some people, and it shouldn't be hard o keep track of PS3, PS Vita and PS4 stats on one profile or system.

Parker

Until everything is confirmed, I wont be worrying about it. However with how this generation is panning out with things like DLC, The war on 2nd hand games and the general greed displayed by most publishers, I can only see it being worse in future generations.

At present its more likely that I will return to PC gaming rather than move to a next generation console.

My PS3 wil remain where it is for the foreseeable future though.

• Like 1

Well hers the good news we won't have to decide what to do with our PS3's for some time to come, at earliest 2014. After spending an incredible amount of money with costs associated with console production, Sony is actually making money off the PS3, not only off the hardware but there software, and since the PS3 was later then the 360 we (owners of the PS3) have the advantage of BLU RAY !!!! huge bonus, easy hardware upgrades and a system that had enough horse power to even have games look incredible today.

I have 135 games, the move, the ps3 headset, basically thousands really invested over the years, so I am definitely not in a hurry to see the PS4 anytime soon, however chances are I would get one day one or very soon there after I just cant control my gaming beast, and keep the PS3 to try and finish what I have left, remember The Last of Us is coming out in 2013 so of course Sony won't be competing with itself by selling another system at the same time, no I see Oct ish 2014

Edited by eastcoastrider71

Well hers the good news we won't have to decide what to do with our PS3's for some time to come, at earliest 2014. After spending an incredible amount of money with costs associated with console production, Sony is actually making money off the PS3, not only off the hardware but there software, and since the PS3 was later then the 360 we (owners of the PS3) have the advantage of BLU RAY !!!! huge bonus, easy hardware upgrades and a system that had enough horse power to even have games look incredible today.

I have 135 games, the move, the ps3 headset, basically thousands really invested over the years, so I am definitely not in a hurry to see the PS4 anytime soon, however chances are I would get one day one or very soon there after I just cant control my gaming beast, and keep the PS3 to try and finish what I have left, remember The Last of Us is coming out in 2013 so of course Sony won't be competing with itself by selling another system at the same time, no I see Oct ish 2014

Obviously you are reading different financial reports than the rest of us. http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/11q4_sony.pdf

According to that report from the May quarterly report (ending in March of this year), Sony's Consumer Products division was down 18% from the previous years' same time frame and specifically states that sales/profits of the game division are down because of a price reduction and the division as a whole lost $2M+ overall during the quarter. The only profitable sector of that division was the blu-ray royalties, not the actual sale of blu-ray players, or PS3s.

Sony is part of a group that owns the rights to the Blu-Ray patents, so other manufacturers have to pay the group a royalty to manufacture the machines.

I'll obviously keep it in my collection along with my 18 other systems. I still have my broken fat 80GB for some reason... it's part of the collection I guess :coffee:

You ever sit on a toilet seat with a crack in it? Especially when it's wooden?

I have a bad feeling that you've pinched your ass or your sac a few times.

Step 1: Haul ass on multiplayer trophies/achievements for current-gen when next-gen consoles are announced.

Step 2: Take your time on single player trophies/achievements for current-gen when next-gen consoles are released.

Step 3: Wait/enjoy the rest of the current-gen's lifespan.

Step 4: Get the next-gen console at the first sign of a price drop/good sale. Probably sell the old console, but only if there's an acceptable amount of money in doing so.

Edited by Dreakon139
  • Like 2

Actually its pretty well known that both Sony and Microsoft have spent a huge amount of revenue on the console race. They are actually profitable now, neither Sony nor MS are rushing and its obvious not even a mention of them at E3 ???? I mean if these are the future PS4 and 720 they better start letting people know they exist, but there not because they know they need to sit back build some revenue fix a few other parts of the company bleeding money suture it and get back to being a leader. Come next E3 they will announce them for 2014 possibly

I'm not responding to anything in this convo in particular.

However, will the PS4 keep our current PSN IDs? Because I've put a lot of time into mine and I wouldn't want to part with it. Also, it'd be more reason to stick with PS3 until I have a better count.

I'm not responding to anything in this convo in particular.

However, will the PS4 keep our current PSN IDs? Because I've put a lot of time into mine and I wouldn't want to part with it. Also, it'd be more reason to stick with PS3 until I have a better count.

Unfortunately, no one knows right now. Personally, I believe we will be able to keep our PSN ID's because it seems Sony wants our PSN ID's to be for all their consoles, not just the PS3. I think with the Vita and PS3 being tied to our accounts, Sony will let us use the same accounts when the PS4 releases and we will be able to see PS3, Vita and PS4 trophies.

Like I said, that is all me just speculating but it makes more sense than Sony just erasing all the work gamers put in on their PS3 and Vita.

Parker

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, no one knows right now. Personally, I believe we will be able to keep our PSN ID's because it seems Sony wants our PSN ID's to be for all their consoles, not just the PS3. I think with the Vita and PS3 being tied to our accounts, Sony will let us use the same accounts when the PS4 releases and we will be able to see PS3, Vita and PS4 trophies.

Like I said, that is all me just speculating but it makes more sense than Sony just erasing all the work gamers put in on their PS3 and Vita.

Parker

I think that is what it really comes down to for many people. It will be a big drive with the multitude of people who have their own personal ID's and the trophies attached to those ID's. For me it will have alot to do with that issue and price.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got a ps3 roughly a week before the outage. Needless to say, I have a huge selection to still check out. I did buy a Vita on day one and had put it in my drawer because of lack of games for it..until Ragnarok was announced. As for the ps3.. I'm honestly in no rush to set my ps3 aside and get a new console. I do tho.. wish that I could play all my ps3 games via my vita. That was one disappointment I had. I'll wait for a price drop and wait a few years after the next gen console comes out before even thinking about getting one.