Purpose Behind A "Cheap" Count?

andzon

Hey. I'm kinda sleepy yet curious, so I'll gonna try to be quick. What is the point of double or triple plat the same game as well as playing easy children's games like Hannah Montana, Puss in Boots etc.? Is the platinum count more important than the actual content? I did it once and it made me feel really cheap so I had to hide the game (wish I could remove it completely). It adds basically zero credibility to ones list. It's like you're invited over for dinner at the neighborhood's most beautiful house only to realize they barely have any furniture and they serve canned food.

Each to their own of course, I am just curious.

• Like 1

Hey. I'm kinda sleepy yet curious, so I'll gonna try to be quick. What is the point of double or triple plat the same game as well as playing easy children's games like Hannah Montana, Puss in Boots etc.? Is the platinum count more important than the actual content? I did it once and it made me feel really cheap so I had to hide the game (wish I could remove it completely). It adds basically zero credibility to ones list. It's like you're invited over for dinner at the neighborhood's most beautiful house only to realize they barely have any furniture and they serve canned food.

Each to their own of course, I am just curious.

That's like asking why people like their favourite color. People are diverse. Some people enjoy those games, some only care for trophies, and some don't give a damn about trophies at all. And there are a brave few who purposely plat these games for special milestones that stay on their profile forever.

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 1

I don't know about the easy platinums, but one of the most enjoyable things about playing games for me is unlocking the trophies. I like being able to go back to a game in future and play it again while still being able to unlock trophies for it. I sometimes go back and replay some games anyway, but it's just not the same without trophies.

You can also add a whole new challenge to old games by using all your previous experience to see how quickly you can 100% them the second time around.

As long as trophies don't autopop, you're still putting in the same amount of effort as you did the first time, so I don't really view it as cheap.

Edited by Shadiochao
  • Like 3

"You can also add a whole new challenge to old games by using all your previous experience to see how quickly you can 100% them the second time around." Agreed, this sounds valid. I wouldn't question people with multiple Demon's Souls plats for example.

• Like 3

I don't think it's as easy as comparing to liking a color. I'm sure there is a more in depth look at it.

What I meant with that is it's all about preferences. Also according to psychology, there's a lot of things you can learn about a person's preferences for colors.

"You can also add a whole new challenge to old games by using all your previous experience to see how quickly you can 100% them the second time around." Agreed, this sounds valid. I wouldn't question people with multiple Demon's Souls plats for example.

There's a quote button in the lower right corner of each post. Using that makes it a lot easier to talk to people ;).

• Like 1

I've got a few easy "children's" games on my profile (Where the Wild Things Are, Spongebob Squarepants, UP, Rango, Rise of the Guardians) 

The reason?  Well at the time I was dealing with some serious stress at work so it was nice to play something fun, that I didn't have to think too much about.  I was also grinding a couple of online games at the time, so for most part I was playing these on a second PS3 whilst boosting (multi tasking FTW!)

I also did the Sound Shapes autopop but that was because I was racing someone to 4,000 trophies and wanted to make them sweat a bit.

I try and play a balance of games, with differing difficulties for my own personal enjoyment, so I don't really care what people think about my profile.  Equally, I've been that person with the nice house but with camp chairs and bean bags in the lounge :P

• Like 1

What is the point of double or triple plat the same game as well as playing easy children's games like Hannah Montana, Puss in Boots etc.?

It depends, with autopop it's meant to be a effortless plat, without it, it's probably someone who enjoy a certain series and wants to have the game completed more than once. I can't count on fingers people I know with 3 Demon Souls plats. I've done Sound Shapes twice by now and will do again on the PS4 when I have the chance, while trying to beat my vita time of 5h. I really like that game. Now to games like Sly, RnC, GoW, J&D, it's more like having a full collection. You either have all of them or you don't.

Now onto easy games, it's all about the number. The only Disney game I've played until this day was Split Second (yes, I know...). I think it's pointless for me waste my time on a kids game that will take me 20h when I can use the same time to play something that won't be mind-numbing boring and get a plat with the same number on points on PSN. It's just me, I don't care if anyone plays it, it's not my account and neither my business.

• Like 3

There's a quote button in the lower right corner of each post. Using that makes it a lot easier to talk to people ;).

Thanks! I don't post here a lot :D (I think I tried sometime when I was on IE but it didn't work that time, I've since switched to Chrome.)

What I meant with that is it's all about preferences. Also according to psychology, there's a lot of things you can learn about a person's preferences for colors.

Yes, definitely, but It's not like asking for the same thing. I could sit here and describe why I enjoy trophy hunting, but to explain why I like red more than other colors, and combinations such as red/white, red/black will be more difficult. That's for another discussion however. :)

Thanks! I don't post here a lot :D (I think I tried sometime when I was on IE but it didn't work that time, I've since switched to Chrome.)

Yes, definitely, but It's not like asking for the same thing. I could sit here and describe why I enjoy trophy hunting, but to explain why I like red more than other colors, and combinations such as red/white, red/black will be more difficult. That's for another discussion however. :)

Yeah for some reason quoting doesn't work with IE. When I switched to another browser, it worked perfectly.

The color part was just an analogy, my point is: people are diverse and have different preferences. Not everyone shares those.

people are diverse and have different preferences. Not everyone shares those.

Absolutely, I'm sure we think alike but look at this a bit differently. I know people are diverse, the initial question was people's reasons and opinions about it in this case.

Anyway, cheers for sharing everyone.

The real question is, why are you concerned with what other people are playing

Easy or hard trophies, enjoyment is all that matters. If I'm a Hannah Montana or an ice age fan then why wouldn't I play those games

It's a forum, you can ask people about their preferences. There are threads like "What's your latest platinum" or "What is your PS4 background". I don't think people who start those really are extremely worried and concerned about others' choices.

If you're a fan of the game, go ahead. That wasn't really the focus of the question.

• Like 4

It's a forum, you can ask people about their preferences. There are threads like "What's your latest platinum" or "What is your PS4 background". I don't think people who start those really are extremely worried and concerned about others' choices.

If you're a fan of the game, go ahead. That wasn't really the focus of the question.

No it is just these threads have been done quite a few times and it always ends with the mods either deleting half the thread, locking the thread...and usually one person gets banned :(. Hopefully that won't happen here.

For myself there are a few different scenarios for which I go for "easy plats"

1. I am in a Trophy Competition. This is where most of my easy plats came from. The point is to get as many points as possible so you can play Star Ocean or Ninja Gaiden 2 OR you can play Megamind...which one do you think wins more competitions :P. That being said I have found some really fun games (Mega Mind being one of them) through these comps.

2. I just finished a really hard plat and I want to unwind with something fun/easy. This is mostly my Lego plats but also Where The Wild Things Are came from here. I really enjoyed these games and Wild Things made it in my Top 5 Sleeper Hits of the year it was so good.

So those are my reasons I go for easy plats. There have been very few I haven't enjoyed (Kung Fu Panda 2 is one of them) but for the most part they have been fun. I am trying to stay away from them though as I feel I have enough of those plats on my profile and I would rather concentrate on better games but if a fun one comes along (I hear Rango is a lot like Ratchet and Clank) then I will give it a go.

For the record though, Top 5 Easy Platinums that are Also Really Fun

1. Pacman and the Ghostly Adventure

2. Where The Wild Things Are

3. Toy Story 3

4. Wonderbook: Book of Spells

5. Start The Party!

Edited by Dr_Mayus
  • Like 4

Sweet! Always nice to hear people's perspectives. I wasn't trying to be hostile, there is no reason this thread should get out of hand. :) But you never know.

Oh you are fine, but I have just seen these go bad ^_^.

At the end of the day as long as you are having fun then that is all that matters and I will recommend those 5 games I mentioned to anyone who is looking for a fun game to play :)

I'll just reiterate what others have said -

1. Trophy count

2. Trophy competitions

3. For fun

4. A change of pace

I'll add one that hasn't been covered. I know this is going to sound weird, but...I have kids  :blink:

It therefore follows that I play kids games with them. Or they play them on my profile because it's the only one setup on the console.

In the end, I care about your Profile as much as you care about mine. So play what you want, how you want - it makes no difference to anyone but you.

• Like 2

Im not really a trophy.competition i play games that are fun whether the.game has easy or hard trophies their are games that i platinum on ps3 such as thief, the.evil within and borderland i would love to buy them on ps4 . As far.as me playing those easy game like megamind and so on i won't play them unless we get those games.on ps plus

I guess some people get a sense of fulfillment about being able to beat a game designed for small children. Don't know why anyone would go out of their way to play a game solely for trophies, especially a shitty game or a children's game. 

Do you know what annoys me the most about these kind of threads? The generalization. I completed grounded mode on The Last of Us twice (not needed for the plat), I completed 1999 mode on Bioshock Infinite, I completed Survivor difficulty without using Vita-chambers on Bioshock, I completed crushing mode on all four Uncharted games, I have 100% (all 105 trophies) on Uncharted 3 mostly by playing normally, because I love this game (I still play the MP almost daily) and I hate boosting sessions... These are, probably, the achievements that I'm prouder of in my trophy hunting career, but, because I have some double plats in my list, I lose all my value and merit about everything else that I accomplished... Is that it? When you look at someone's profile, you have to see the whole picture, not just the aspects that, in your understanding, are negative. If you really want to judge someone as a trophy hunter you should look at their average rarity, not just at some of the games/plats they have. If someone has an average rarity between 40%-50%, they are generally, a competent trophy hunter, even if they have easier games or double plats.

If you want reasons, about easy, children's game I can't say much, because I haven't played any of the games mentioned, but I think people have already pointed out very good reasons on why they play them. Maybe someday when I have children I will play these kind of games with them as well, because I think that when you have children the most important thing is the time you spend with them, not the prejudice that some may feel when they look at your profile, right?

About double platinums, a platinum is always a platinum, no matter how many times you earn it. Also, consoles are expensive machines, so I always want to take full advantage of the consoles that I own. I don't want to throw money away. if I have completed a game that I bought or even got through PS Plus (which is still paid) and it gives me the chance to complete it once again on another platform, I'm certainly going to do it. If there's a remaster (or even another version of games that aren't cross-buy) of a game that I loved playing the first time, I'm certainly going to buy it again, because it gives me a lot of pleasure to complete those games again. You can't even imagine how pleasant it was for me to complete "The Last of Us Remastered" after having already completed "The Last of Us". You can't even imagine how excited I am to know that I'll be able to plat the Uncharted games again on PS4 in October...  That's what games should be: fun and pleasure. You can take your gaming account seriously, but,in the end, gaming and trophy hunting are just hobbies and that's what they should remain.

Kiddie plats and auto-popping makes the rest of your list look bad. It's like having a nice steak on the same plate as piles of dog shit.