Purpose Behind A "Cheap" Count?

andzon

I guess some people get a sense of fulfillment about being able to beat a game designed for small children. Don't know why anyone would go out of their way to play a game solely for trophies, especially a shitty game or a children's game. 

Kiddie plats and auto-popping makes the rest of your list look bad. It's like having a nice steak on the same plate as piles of dog shit. 

so you are the one who decides what is worth and what is shit? i think we are all doomed .....  

Ok what are you living for? most ppl would say they want to be happy in there life .  And some ppl are happy when they earn trophies , hear the trophy pop sound or even playing kid games .... so are these ppl not allowed to be happy on there way? or is it your decision what ppl make happy?

• Like 2

I dont get why people always difference into "children game" and "adult game". But, well, I also dont understand why graphics are important...

Im going to buy a N3DS and a Wii U. Why? For Nintendogames, oh pardon, i mean "childrengames". Why? Because they are fun as hell, maybe? (=

If you really want to judge someone as a trophy hunter you should look at their average rarity, not just at some of the games/plats they have. If someone has an average rarity between 40%-50%, they are generally, a competent trophy hunter, even if they have easier games or double plats.

I disagree. "Blockbusters" are always more rare than eg JRPGs, because literally everyone plays them. Sometimes I think im the only one who doesnt play CoD, BF or FIFA :D

Edited by Neputyunu

Well I have x3 Sound Shapes and in the future will have 2 Injustice platinums, so I can't say much about duplicate trophy lists

But what I don't really get is when people trophy hunt on these extremely bad Disney games etc, but whatever

I like completing games I enjoyed again. If I can get another set of trophies for it, why not? I wouldn't generalize saying all duplicate lists are "cheap" either.

I try not to concern myself with what other people are doing to up my trophy count and focus on my own. Though, if somebody asks me what I think I'll usually pick a few good platinums over a ton of "easy" ones.

• Like 1

Don't have a problem with any trophies as long as they were legitimately earned.

Hackers, are the shameful ones with the cheap  count.

If you have a Hannah Montana plat or Disney Plat..well earned then. Hannah Montana would be bleed my ears and Disney game won't hold my attention. 

Doubles Plats like Sly Time  , Sound Shapes(frustrating death mode) and Motorstorm RC( no map and no stats of cars :angry: )  are well deserved. Also Doubles plats on VT4, MGS2 and MGS3. 

Edited by Kishnabe
  • Like 1

Each to their own. I'm not into double plats or kids' games etc but that's just me and I'm not going to judge anyone that likes these things.

Really the purpose is whatever the individual says it is.

Edited by feral611

I like doing double lists/triple lists because I don't feel that I've finished a franchise until I have every list. I haven't completed the Tomb Raider franchise, for example, because I do not have the Japanese list of Tomb Raider: Underworld. It's also a game that I already know I enjoy, so there's less risk of starting it and hating it.

As for easy/kids games, that is highly subjective.

Well I have x3 Sound Shapes and in the future will have 2 Injustice platinums, so I can't say much about duplicate trophy lists

But what I don't really get is when people trophy hunt on these extremely bad Disney games etc, but whatever

Maybe they enjoyed the Disney movie the game is based off of? I liked Planet 51, so I rented the game. Same with the 3 Harry Potter games on my list.

Am I a bad person? :(

Edited by madbuk
  • Like 1

I don't see how it matters to anyone but the person who's account it is. I had Megamind on my old profile. I'm 33 and I love that film so played the game. Easy plat was a bonus. I'd do it again too if I see it cheap at my local gaming store. If I ever reach 100 plats I'll be sure using a "cheap" plat for my milestone for the Lolz. Hannah Montana properly just to annoy people who think that would make me a unlegetimate gamer or it makes my plats obsolete.

As for double plats why shouldn't people do it if they love the game? I'm playing wipeout again and if they remaster it I'll do it again. Sorry I just don't see how anyone can judge someone else's trophy cabinet because they don't see certain games as worthy. (Not op but some people do). They should focus on their own collection instead of worrying about others.

Edited by Anturak
  • Like 1

I just bought a bunch of PS2 games from a preowned store an hour or two ago.

Most of them are genuinely good games that require no defending, but there's a couple, like Chicken Little, Harry Potter 3, and Crazy Frog Racer that although are liked by me, don't have a crap load of fans and would probably get slammed for being a bunch of shit.

Me, I had Crazy Frog Racer 2 yeeeeears ago when I was a lot younger and although it was an average at best racer, I liked it, and am "keen" to play the first one. Chicken Little was another I had years ago, but I genuinely enjoyed it. Is it a good game? Well, yeah I guess, I like it, it's decently put together and it's fun, am I a bad person or a lesser gamer for spending 2 bucks on it today when I saw it in the store? Hells no.

It's the same situation with a lot of modern games like that, from my list for example, I've got Puss in Boots, Megamind, and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs platinum'd.

Megamind I got on the cheap and genuinely enjoyed my *almost* two hours with it. It's trophy list is simple as shit and only a fool could cock it up, similar story with Meatballs, and Puss I borrowed off my girlfriend who likes those kiddy kind of games.

It makes my trophy list a bit bigger and bit lower in terms of required skill, and I give a whopping zero fucks. Why should anyone else?

Hell, isn't that the point? The trophy list should only really matter to the person who owns it, and even then it shouldn't matter a whole bunch.

I played some crappy games, and whether it was for laughs or trophies or actual fun or just because I could, at the end of the day, (aside from Hannah Montana, which to this day is the worst game I've ever played) I've never hated my time with any of the games I've played, and a lot of those "lesser" kind of games are usually really cheap so 5 bucks here and there for at least a few hours of fun isn't all that bad in my eyes.

• Like 2

Personally, I don't double-plat. I don't really see the point in getting the same trophies all over again. I don't even see the point in getting the same game a second or a third time. That's why I just make do with my PS2 games even if there's a remastered version with trophies out and the original games now look pretty jaggy on my 32'' LED TV. Why? Because I play games for fun, not the trophies.

Don't get me wrong, I like trophies and I like getting them, but as soon as I get them, challenge completed, let's move on. Sure, I could get the PS3 versions of my PS2 classics, but I already own the game and played it to its fullest. To get it again just because it's now in HD and has trophies just isn't enough of a reason for me. The game itself is the most important thing.

Though that isn't to say I judge anyone's profile-bulding/trophy-hunting practices. Want to get a ton of easy games just for the trophies? Go for it. Want to platinum the same game multiple times because you enjoyed the experience immensely? Why not? I personally wouldn't do it, doesn't make it any less valid a move.

For example, trophy-hiding is considered by some to be a dickish move to up your completion rate. If you look at my profile, you'll see 556 trophies hidden and a nearly 100% completion rate. At first sight you'd think I just hide all my non-100% games to increase my completion rate, but the real reason I do it is because me and my brother used to share my profile for 5 years. We only created an account for himself last year. When I started coming to the site more often, I wanted my profile to show only my games, so I hid all of his plus a couple of games I played once, didn't like and since sold/gave away. But all some people see are more than 500 hidden trophies and a nearly-perfect completion rate, so judgment starts flying, instead of just considering that maybe I could have some other reason for doing this.

Bottom-line is: everyone's profile is theirs and theirs alone. Don't start throwing judgment around. They all have their reasons.

But all of the posts in this topic show that Sony needs to have a much more flexible stance regarding trophies. Want to erase your trophies, even if it's just to earn them all over again? Sure, why not? Can't imagine it'd be all that hard.

• Like 3

I dont get why people always difference into "children game" and "adult game". But, well, I also dont understand why graphics are important...

Im going to buy a N3DS and a Wii U. Why? For Nintendogames, oh pardon, i mean "childrengames". Why? Because they are fun as hell, maybe? (=

I disagree. "Blockbusters" are always more rare than eg JRPGs, because literally everyone plays them. Sometimes I think im the only one who doesnt play CoD, BF or FIFA :D

Nintendo has children games? Never saw any Ice Age, Brave, Madagascar, Toy Story or Megamind on that console. That are child games, games you buy for your children after you take them to the movies on a sunday afternoon and they enjoyed the content and want more of it.

I just bought a bunch of PS2 games from a preowned store an hour or two ago.

Most of them are genuinely good games that require no defending, but there's a couple, like Chicken Little, Harry Potter 3, and Crazy Frog Racer that although are liked by me, don't have a crap load of fans and would probably get slammed for being a bunch of shit.

Nah, from what I've seen, the third Harry Potter game is regarded as the best of the series - especially the PS2 version (I personally preferred the second game, on PS2, though). There's definitely a fanbase out there for that game in particular :P

I remember renting Chicken Little on PS2 when it was newly released, I had fun with that as well :highfive:

Nintendo has children games? Never saw any Ice Age, Brave, Madagascar, Toy Story or Megamind on that console. That are child games, games you buy for your children after you take them to the movies on a sunday afternoon and they enjoyed the content and want more of it.

Ice Age 2 was definitely on the Wii, and I'm pretty sure a few old Madagascar games were too. I remember seeing Happy Feet and Surf available on the Wii too. And then there's Phineas & Ferb, Club Penguin(?) and several other Disney things on the DS/3DS. I think even Wizards of Waverly Place got a DS game xD

917030b.jpg

Edited by madbuk

I'm one of those who has plat and 100% some few games more than once. In some cases you got cloud save and instant trophy popping, like why not do it??? :P

I've also done the platinum for Demon's Souls three times. There's no auto-popping there, but the game's online is split in three, and you need a copy for the region you want to play in. My NA copy came with the soundtrack! The JP copy was cheap and I ordered it along with a soundtrack that was on sale that I was looking for too, so no extra shipping fees etc. I love playing through the game, and getting trophies for it is just a big bonus. Could get the platinum in like 5 hours too, trying to get it in that little time was fun. ;D

I've done it with a couple of PSN games too I think without any cloud save, because why the heck not? If I care to play through it again, then why not? xD

Oh, I started doing the Tell Tales Games games again too, because I purchased the pack with lot of the games for PS4, but I already had some of them for PS3.

Edited by MMDE

So do trophy hunters with multiple plats in games by the same game twice or sometimes more. I know i'd rather buy a new game instead.

I guess it also comes down to you train of thought. Do you think "OMG a new remaster is coming out i cant wait to play it i love that game", which is fine or do you think "'woohoo i cant wait to buy a game i don't like to auto-pop"  

This is just my opinion so calm down

I dunno, I always consider children's games to be what's obviously marketed at children, Skylanders and Disney Infinity for example.

The only people I've heard say Nintendo games are for kids are people that don't play games anyway.

I've always gotten the vibe that Nintendo knows it has an older player-base as well and hasn't forgotten them :)

OT: I think 'cheap' lists are those that have instant-pop trophies like Sound Shapes everywhere. But even then, they still paid for that copy of SS and it's their choice, it just makes a profile less interesting to look at if all the games are the same. 

Games that you have to play through again are a good one, Jak&Daxter for example, I have the PS3 collection and I'm always tempted to get the Vita version too. Sometimes a game is just awesome enough that you want to do it all again.

And of course, hackers are cheap.

• Like 1

It's the other way round for me, in some respects. Since I became more interested in obtaining trophies, I have picked up a few easier and cheaper games to play solely for the trophies. Sound Shapes was one of those. What I've found is that I don't enjoy them any less than I do larger, AAA titles. Most often, I am very pleasantly surprised. Magus though... that was a chore. Only played that for the trophies and a bit of an "how bad can this game really be?" sort of thing.

Sure, AAA adds a layer of polish to things, but the underlying games have been so stale lately. I'm trying hard to think of a AAA title that I've really enjoyed in the last year or so... Bloodborne would be the only one, I guess. 

Auto-popping... Lol. I did it with Sound Shapes for a laugh. It was pretty fun watching all those notifications fly up. 

TL;DR - Try going for cheaper indies and easy plats, you may be pleasantly surprised. Autopopping is funny, do it if you like.

• Like 1

The bottom line is that there are lots of different reasons for doing things and lots of different personalities, and the best thing to do is to focus on your own trophy list and not worry about someone else's unless they're throwing it in your face. If someone tries to tell you they're better than you because they have 20 more trophies, but they've triple-100%'d Sound Shapes with autopop, sure, push back. Otherwise, who cares if they did it?

Personally, I played all of SS once, 100% auto-popped once, and then played the main game and death mode again the third time I played it (but auto-popped beats school, because why wouldn't I?). I couldn't care less if someone thinks less of my profile because of that... It's my profile.

I have some kids games on my profile, too. Why? Because I have kids... They play games, and if they are games I enjoy, sometimes I'll finish them off. If not, I hide the games so that my profile is an accurate reflection of my own efforts. Does that change your opinion of me as a gamer? It shouldn't, but if it does, I'm pretty sure I'll still be able to sleep tonight.

TL:DR - if trophy hunting is your hobby, don't let anyone else tell you you're doing it "wrong."

• Like 3

So do trophy hunters with multiple plats in games by the same game twice or sometimes more. I know i'd rather buy a new game instead.

I guess it also comes down to you train of thought. Do you think "OMG a new remaster is coming out i cant wait to play it i love that game", which is fine or do you think "'woohoo i cant wait to buy a game i don't like to auto-pop"  

This is just my opinion so calm down

I can only think of a couple of games that actually allow auto-pop, and they're cross-buy so you don't have to even buy them again.

I have platted easy game and hard games.

Watching my PSN level growing is something I look for.

So, my gaming style is playing hard games (Or time consuming games) then switch to easy games (Or fast platinum games)

Regarding auto popping, nothing wrong with getting double reward for single effort.

Regarding "children" games, I like to play them from time to time due to kids being around me. And most "children" games are stress free.

• Like 1

I just got my first platinum The Walking Dead on PS4. Bought it in the sale with a nice discount. I ended up liking this game so much that I also bought the PS3 and VITA version.

On my first playthrough I tried to be the good guy by trying to save everyone and be as honest as possible at all times. On my next playthrough I will be the villian who lets everyone die and does not forgive and ofcourse I will try to lie as much as possible. My last playthrough will be a speedrun. I'll try to finish the game as fast as possible and hoping to be in the top 10 speedrunners.

Honestly I would buy this game even if it didn't have any trophies. The trophies are just icing on the cake :)

Edited by Akiraprise
  • Like 3

As far as easy platinums go I would much rather have a game like The Order 1886 or Ether One as opposed to Duck Dynasty or Hannah Montana. I would never play shovelware just to get easy trophies. In my opinion it discounts you as a trophy hunter. Just my opinion. If you have Dark Souls plat but also MegaMind, I will look at you differently then a person who just has the Dark Souls plat.

I know. I havnt said Nintendo actually has childrengames. You should know me meanwhile well enough to know how I mean stuff, buddy. ^_^

When Im playing eg japangames, people keep telling me I would play only childrengames, because the graphics and as adult I should play things rated 18/M/Z/whatever with "good"graphics and action, etc, you know?

btw, there is Brave on Wii :)