National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

3 hours ago, acasser said:

Welp, the NFL draft is nigh.  And my opinions on what the Jets should do haven't really changed.  They need a QB, but my preference order at this point is Darnold, Allen, Rosen, everybody else, Mayfield.  Because Baker Mayfield still screams Johnny Manziel Redux to me.  In fact, if the Jets actually draft Baker Mayfield, I will do the following:

• I will throw my glass of iced tea/lemonade through the television screen.
  • I will then throw the television out the window.
  • I will then pick up the busted window frame and throw it through a friend's car.
  • I will then pick up that friend's car and throw it through the front door of his house.
  • Just for good measure, I may then set that house on fire.

So a memo to Jets' GM Mike McCagnan:  No Baker Mayfield.  Got it?

I agree that Mayfield is a hot-headed, cocky asshat but I think his QB skills are better than Manziel's were. Manziel relied on his scrambling abilities to make plays whereas Mayfield has better pocket poise, but Baker can also use his feet as a last resort. Baker will probably be humbled by the NFL and adjust his game, whereas Manziel couldn't care less if he played or not, his goal was to make cash and party like Paris Hilton. 

I would be pissed if my team took Mayfield high but I don't think it's worth going to DEFCON 1. 

I forgot to add, if Jets do pick Mayfield at the three spot with the other QBs on the board, then definitely go nuclear. 

Edited by PerryToxteth

Lmao @ the ? drafting Johnny Manziel 2.0 like it's 2014.  If they really want to win a championship they should just do what they did in the 90s... sell the team off to another city *cough* Baltimore *cough*, give them a different color uniform, a bird mascot, and within 3 years they'll be SB champs. 

I've had enough of these 'bad boy QBs' to last a lifetime.  Give me another Peyton Manning or Steve Young any day, instead of these hot-head 22 year old know it alls who snort a line of coke off a cheerleaders ass every time they score a TD and then pout in the corner cause the media is mean to them.  I'm calling it right now, Mayfield gets more off the field press this season than he does on the field.  And he won't start more than 8 games.  And he'll go to a rehab program... again.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

That was the Seahawks' job today, and they completed that job admirably.

I wouldn't give up on Penny yet. He's a workhorse, every-down type of back. I saw his bowl game and he reminded me of AP in that he got better in the second half, instead of being worn out. 

Sony Michel might be flashier, but he was a complimentary back in college, and will do the same role  in the NFL. He's not built for 25+ carries every game. 

• Like 1

A very interesting first round of the draft.

Browns with Baker Mayfield (hopefully not anothy Manziel)

Giants with Saquon Barkley to help that atrocious running game

Jets with Sam Darnold, hopefully there future qb

Bills with Josh Allen also hopefully there new qb, least he'll be used to the weather :P 

Falcons with Calvin Ridley another Alabama wr, could he turn into a Julio jones type player :hmm: 

Josh rosen going to Arizona hopefully to be the franchise qb

and Baltimore with what they to be in a few years the franchise qb in Lamar Jackson 

Also from the Draft the Oakland Raiders aquiried Martavis Bryant from the Pittsburgh Steelers http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23330065/pittsburgh-steelers-trade-wr-martavis-bryant-oakland-raiders-3rd-round-pick

But The best thing of the night was seeing Ryan Shazier walk out to announce the Pittsburgh Steelers 1st round pick, keep it up Ryan :) 

p.s Lets see what other surprises the rest of the draft will bring.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Green said:

why do you believe that?

I respect what they're doing, out with Graham, the pass catcher, in with Dickson, the run blocker.  Also bringing in Fluker, another run-blocker with ties to some of the new coaching staff... they're obviously trying to get some juice back in the running game.  RB's however are not a huge need, Mike Davis and Chris Carson showed some promise, and spending their 1st round pick on a RB is insane to me.  They have way more serious issues to deal with and not a lot of capitol to spend. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So The Oakland Raiders have traded for never play/sit on bench qb Christian Hackenberg, who will compete for there backup role https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jets-trade-christian-hackenberg-to-raiders-after-zero-snaps-in-two-seasons/

And can you imagine the uproar if this happens https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/22/report-owners-discussing-15-yard-penalties-for-kneeling-during-anthem/

Edited by Conker

On 5/23/2018 at 7:14 PM, Spyro said:

Ugh, Goddamnit, I didn't want to hear about this bullshit throughout the offseason and regular season again!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000933971/article/nfl-owners-approve-national-anthem-policy-for-2018

Really. Everything had already pretty much died down then they did the stupid thing and reminded everyone it had happened. Now we get several more weeks of people whining about it again. Though to be honest it makes sense. The NBA has a similar policy so it was only a matter of time. People will raise a shit to be sure but it'll die down eventually when the next hot topic of controversy comes along.

I look forward to the day when people don't look for ways to be offended

Edited by majob
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, majob said:

Really. Everything had already pretty much died down then they did the stupid thing and reminded everyone it had happened. Now we get several more weeks of people whining about it again. Though to be honest it makes sense. The NBA has a similar policy so it was only a matter of time. People will raise a shit to be sure but it'll die down eventually when the next hot topic of controversy comes along.

I look forward to the day when people don't look for ways to be offended

Every headline, every article, every discussion... they're all going to be about politics and protests until the playoffs start.  Then add to that the thousand new kick-off rules (honestly, just phase 'em out, it's obviously the end-game goal) and it just seems like the NFL's only objective is to grind on the fans until we just throw our hands into the air and say "f--k it".  And they're doing a great job of that.  Look anywhere outside of L.A. and Boston and fans don't seem interested in dealing with this BS anymore.  I mean, I'm a Mariners fan, the biggest sad-sack team in sports and I'm dreading the end of the baseball season.

And sadly I think it's safe to say the days of over-sensitive-over-whelming-over-reacting PC nonsense are here to stay, it just seems to get stronger and stronger with every new generation.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well it seems the 3 other networks are following Fox and having there own rules analysts

NBC http://www.footballzebras.com/2018/06/21/terry-mcaulay-quits-nfl-nbc/

ESPN http://www.footballzebras.com/2018/06/20/jeff-triplette-to-join-espn-broadcast-booth-as-rules-analyst/

CBS Gene Steritore (aka index card man) :P http://www.footballzebras.com/2018/06/22/gene-steratore-to-retire-after-15-seasons/

Hopefully these go aswell as perreria and Blandino do on Fox 

Edited by Conker

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...