National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

I watched the entire thing in full today (without looking at the result) as i'm in the UK and I didn't feel like staying up for it and it just wasn't a competitive game I sort of knew it was over at half time because the Chiefs didn't look like scoring because they couldn't catch a ball when they really needed to, the penalties on defence killed them as well and overall it was just a poor game from the Chiefs who I wanted to win but congrats to the Bucs they deserved it, the defense is really good and the offense is too and also congrats to Brady 7 titles is just out of this world.

I know the Buccs won the SB and Blah blah blah (seeing Antonio Brown and Bruce Arians get a ring makes me wanna puke) but I gotta put a shout-out and a congrats to Wilson on his Man of the Year award win.  He was snubbed for ROTY and has still never received even a single MVP vote but dammit, he finally won something!!

• Like 1

On 2/8/2021 at 0:54 AM, lucky0ne16 said:

go bucs, the greatest night of my life, went through the pain of losing since 07 with bad QB's. great year for Tampa bay sports

You said it! Who would have thought this time last year that the Super Bowl would even be a remote possibility? We were just trying to figure out how to move on from Jameis. Sub 30 interceptions was all I was hoping for. It was great seeing some of the Bucs vets finally get their due like Evans and David. I feel kind of bad for Gerald McCoy that he wasn't able to stick around until this night but what a class act for expressing his excitement for the guys. It's a shame that the MVP can't be handed out to a coach or a group because that defense deserved it. What an incredible adjustment from earlier in the season when we lost to them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Conker said:

Houston is a dumpster fire... I doubt they have any chance to keep Watson.

But I would like to comment this statement: "Bucs GM Licht: Blaine Gabbert could be potential successor to Tom Brady in Tampa" https://www.nfl.com/news/bucs-gm-licht-blaine-gabbert-could-be-potential-successor-to-tom-brady : AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

10 hours ago, Conker said:

You know what?  I have a problem with this.  The same way I'm increasingly upset about the number of players who seem intent on resurrecting the stereotype of the whiny, me-first athlete because he wants to win at all costs and to hell with everybody else.

Here's a thought for all those guys:  If you want the liberty to pick your team on an annual basis because you don't want to play for a dumpster fire, how about signing one-year deals with clauses that state the team cannot use the franchise or transition tag on you?

Because otherwise?  They just want to have their cake and eat it too.  They want to get paid, and they want the security of the long-term contract at big bucks, but they also want to cut and run as soon as the team hits adversity instead of pulling through with those other guys.

I like J.J. Watt.  I root for J.J. Watt, and not just because he went to my alma matter.  But this is a team that stuck by him when he couldn't get out of bed in the morning without tripping and breaking something, and now he wants out because he wants to win a championship as opposed to honoring the contract he voluntarily signed for.

If he wanted out after the 2021 season when he was a free agent, I wouldn't have written this screed.  But it rubs me the wrong way when he expects the team to "do right by him" even though he's not remotely reciprocating.  Even if the team agreed to his wishes.

6 hours ago, acasser said:

You know what?  I have a problem with this.  The same way I'm increasingly upset about the number of players who seem intent on resurrecting the stereotype of the whiny, me-first athlete because he wants to win at all costs and to hell with everybody else.

Here's a thought for all those guys:  If you want the liberty to pick your team on an annual basis because you don't want to play for a dumpster fire, how about signing one-year deals with clauses that state the team cannot use the franchise or transition tag on you?

Because otherwise?  They just want to have their cake and eat it too.  They want to get paid, and they want the security of the long-term contract at big bucks, but they also want to cut and run as soon as the team hits adversity instead of pulling through with those other guys.

I like J.J. Watt.  I root for J.J. Watt, and not just because he went to my alma matter.  But this is a team that stuck by him when he couldn't get out of bed in the morning without tripping and breaking something, and now he wants out because he wants to win a championship as opposed to honoring the contract he voluntarily signed for.

If he wanted out after the 2021 season when he was a free agent, I wouldn't have written this screed.  But it rubs me the wrong way when he expects the team to "do right by him" even though he's not remotely reciprocating.  Even if the team agreed to his wishes.

You are partially right here, but since owners can release players whenever they want (despite contracts and without alert), why players shouldn't be able to ASK for a release? I don't like contracts where one side has major powers than the other side...

5 hours ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

You are partially right here, but since owners can release players whenever they want (despite contracts and without alert), why players shouldn't be able to ASK for a release? I don't like contracts where one side has major powers than the other side...

And the players have some balance in this.  All the guaranteed money is at the front end of the contract, frequently with large signing bonuses as well.  It's not like other sports where signing a guy to a six-year/$100 million contract means you're obliged to pay him for six years and to fork over the full $100 million.

The J.J. Watt scenario is a mild case.  There was one year remaining on the deal and Houston doesn't have to eat additional dead money.  But DeShaun Watson?  That's five years and a cap-crippling number if his whining is indulged.

Yeah, the Owners and Management have the whip hand in this one.  But I feel much more sympathetic towards them when many Players seem every bit as un-interested in sticking to the contracts they sign.

23 hours ago, acasser said:

And the players have some balance in this.  All the guaranteed money is at the front end of the contract, frequently with large signing bonuses as well.  It's not like other sports where signing a guy to a six-year/$100 million contract means you're obliged to pay him for six years and to fork over the full $100 million.

The J.J. Watt scenario is a mild case.  There was one year remaining on the deal and Houston doesn't have to eat additional dead money.  But DeShaun Watson?  That's five years and a cap-crippling number if his whining is indulged.

Yeah, the Owners and Management have the whip hand in this one.  But I feel much more sympathetic towards them when many Players seem every bit as un-interested in sticking to the contracts they sign.

If the JJ Watt situation drives you nuts, don’t ever start following the NBA. It should be renamed the National Babysitting Association with all the multimillionaire cry babies wanting to be traded.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Conker said:

The Vikings are releasing TE Kyle Rudolph https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30992195/minnesota-vikings-release-te-kyle-rudolph-10-seasons 

he will be a nice pickup for a team

Sad to see him go, but this was expected for salary cap reasons. In the last half of the season, the younger (and cheaper) players got more playing time. 

@skidmarkgn What’s the deal with Wilson and a possible trade? Is this a case of the national media trying to add fuel to a small brush fire? Does the local Pacific Northwest media have a more realistic story? 

4 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

Sad to see him go, but this was expected for salary cap reasons. In the last half of the season, the younger (and cheaper) players got more playing time. 

@skidmarkgn What’s the deal with Wilson and a possible trade? Is this a case of the national media trying to add fuel to a small brush fire? Does the local Pacific Northwest media have a more realistic story? 

It's the off-season and Wilson said something other than "go hawks" so the media's going berserk.  If he's traded I will eat my own head.  They've already begun the process of fixing the offense with the hiring of Waldron.  Schotty was a one trick pony with the passing game, it was slow developing deep pass after slow developing deep pass (look at that Giants loss, New York NEVER changed their defense and Seattle played right into it with nothing but slow developing deep passes even though Carson was averaging 7 yards a carry).  Hopefully a more Rams-esque tight end heavy quick pass game (Metcalf running slants seems like he'd be unstoppable) will be the new plan so the O-line isn't having to block for 4-5 seconds every play.

Wilson's POS baseball agent carries a lot of the blame for this mess too, every time that f--ker speaks he makes things worse for everybody but himself, he's honestly the worst thing Russ has going right now.  Overall, I'm more concerned with losing Dunlap than anything now that the Cards F'd everything up and overpaid JJ so much.  Dunlap's gonna probably expect a similar deal now and Seattle can't afford it.  Arizona double-whammy'd the West with that one, they get stronger and assured a divisional opponent gets weaker.  Although, no idea how they're gonna be able to hold onto Reddick after this year with that Watt contract tying them down.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tom Brady's re-worked deal is more fake than the breasts on your typical Hollywood starlet.  Tampa has done what a couple of other teams have done, in that they use voidable years to push salary cap hits into the future to create cap space in the present in a complete mockery of the "spirit" of the salary cap.  Legal, but distasteful.

Not that Tampa really cares.  They'll gladly take a couple of years of pain down the road in return for last month's Super Bowl win, even if they weren't particularly competitive for the remainder of Brady's career.  And they will be competitive, because New Orleans is about to fall apart, Atlanta is a tire fire, and who knows what Carolina is doing?

3 hours ago, acasser said:

Tom Brady's re-worked deal is more fake than the breasts on your typical Hollywood starlet.  Tampa has done what a couple of other teams have done, in that they use voidable years to push salary cap hits into the future to create cap space in the present in a complete mockery of the "spirit" of the salary cap.  Legal, but distasteful.

Not that Tampa really cares.  They'll gladly take a couple of years of pain down the road in return for last month's Super Bowl win, even if they weren't particularly competitive for the remainder of Brady's career.  And they will be competitive, because New Orleans is about to fall apart, Atlanta is a tire fire, and who knows what Carolina is doing?

This is also the year I'm personally measuring the Belichick vs. Brady angle everyone was obsessed over.  Everyone already declared it was all Brady after last year but c'mon, Brady went to an absolutely stacked team (top 5 receiving core, top 5 O-line, top 5 defense) while Belichick was heading a team that had the most opt-outs in the NFL (including 3 of their top players) and a gimpy QB.  Gotta feeling it'll be a more competitive feud this year, especially after all the holes the Pats filled this year... except for the all-important QB.  Hell, if the 2021 season ended in a "hate-bowl" with the Buccs vs. the Pats I actually wouldn't mind it.

32 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

This is also the year I'm personally measuring the Belichick vs. Brady angle everyone was obsessed over.  Everyone already declared it was all Brady after last year but c'mon, Brady went to an absolutely stacked team (top 5 receiving core, top 5 O-line, top 5 defense) while Belichick was heading a team that had the most opt-outs in the NFL (including 3 of their top players) and a gimpy QB.  Gotta feeling it'll be a more competitive feud this year, especially after all the holes the Pats filled this year... except for the all-important QB.  Hell, if the 2021 season ended in a "hate-bowl" with the Buccs vs. the Pats I actually wouldn't mind it.

Yeah i agree with all your points there but they've still got that gimpy QB for some reason but I guess is anybody can win with it then it's going to be Belichick so it should be interesting watching the Pats next year.

5 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Wasn’t thrilled Cam got another year, but with a short-term contract, I’m hoping that’s a sign the Pats grab a QB high in the draft. 

7 hours ago, Bluefalcon2210 said:

Yeah i agree with all your points there but they've still got that gimpy QB for some reason but I guess is anybody can win with it then it's going to be Belichick so it should be interesting watching the Pats next year.

I've always thought the Pats legacy was the mixture of a great coach + a great QB + (quite often) a top 5 overall offense/defense + (more often than not) a sad sack division that they could ride to a 1st week bye and home field advantage = success.  No "hot takes" to be had with that thought though, lol.

Was sorely disappointed that Seattle couldn't land Hudson (and he goes to a divisional opponent to rub salt on the wound) but at least they got someone.  Bet Russ is glad that he didn't go to Vegas after all now that their O-line is all but gone.

Very happy about the Everett signing, he'll hopefully fit right into Waldron's offensive scheme and he's just a good damn TE... which was another need.  All that's realistically left to hope for is a miracle re-signing of Dunlap, or maybe Clowney?