National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the 49ers are my team (I like others too, for sure, but 9ers come first, when applicable).  With that said, I knew they would suck this year thanks to Babydick York and T-bag Baalke, and sure enough, they are showing their true colors.  The Steelers and Cardinals are NOT the Vikings.  They looked good at home against a mediocre at best team.  Put them on the road against a good team and they collapse.  This is what to expect from them this entire season.  And since they have 2 games against the Rams, 2 against the She-hawks, and another against Arizona, be prepared for a lot of losses coming their way.  I told a coworker before the pre-season started that they'd be lucky to get 5 wins.  He said they'd for sure get 5.  At this point I think it's as likely they win the super bowl as them getting 5 wins.  Keep in mind we still have the Bengals, Packers, Ravens, Falcons, and Giants and Lions (both away games) to play, and I guarantee at least 4 of those 6 games are losses.  Don't kid yourself about the Lions and Giants either.  They aren't great this year, but they'll probably beat the 9ers.  Maybe we get lucky against the Browns... maybe.  I'm sticking to my original PRE-pre-season prediction of 4-12 on the year.

And I swear, if cameras close-up on Tomsula's face one more time with that stupid deer-in-the-headlights look, I'm gonna drive down to the stadium and smack him upside the head.  He's a decent line coach, but he's no way ready for prime time, and he looks like a moron out there.  The front office set him up for failure and just watching him stand there dumbfounded by the game in front of him proves he's not ready.  Yeah, Harbaugh was a pain in the ass to work with, but guess what, he won you games, and a lot of them, including playoff games.  Next time SF sees the playoffs I might be old and grey.

PS - I'll keep rooting for them as they're my team, but I'm not stupid, I picked the Cards as my Fantasy Defense this week, and they were 10 points ahead of second place.  Won it by a landslide.  If only all my other picks had been that good...

You know it man... I'm a 49ers fan too, just from Italy (so when it's 1:00PM in Pacific it's 10:00PM here, games go through 1:00AM and I'm still watching... Worst when they play prime time like week 1). Honestly I think we're going to lose almost all road games (maybe we'll have chance against Bears... Lions are playing bad now, but we face them in week 16 so who knows), at home we could have a chance against Ravens, Rams and maybe Bengals so a 5 win campaign is stll possible  :S

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the "tuna-face", so smack him down for me too!! I understand not everyone can be active in the sideline like Harbaugh was, but it's unaccettable to see someone struggling with no clues like him.

In June 2014 I travelled to SF during my honeymoon... I've bought some stuff at 49ers shop (hat, sweatshirt and others) and still haven't had a chance to use them, thank you York-Baalke  :facepalm:

Edited by Zio_Sam87

My NFL week 4 Tips

Steelers over Ravens

Jets over Dolphins

Falcons over Texans

Bills over Giants

Raiders over Bears

Bengals over Chiefs

Colts over Jags

Eagles over Redskins

Panthers over Bucs

Chargers over Browns

Broncos over Vikings

Packers over 49ers

Cardinals over Rams

My Cowboys over Saints

Seahawks over Lions

P.s I hate games in London and I so fucking hope they never get a team, only USA should have teams!

@Acasser (for some reason my laptop won't let me actually quote you), it is live and does air at 6:30.  I'll watch it because my kids usually have us up pretty early but I wouldn't make an actual effort if I wasn't gonna be up already. 

I also like to think of myself as an NFL fan 1st and a Seahawk fan 2nd, and the Jets are a team I actually like and cheer for more often than not.  Seeing the AFC East finally be, possibly, competitive is exciting as well and after the superbowl debacle last year it would be even more satisfying to see the Jets, Dolphins and Bills succeed, so that's some extra incentive to watch the game live as well.

• Like 1

Seeing the AFC East finally be, possibly, competitive is exciting as well and after the superbowl debacle last year it would be even more satisfying to see the Jets, Dolphins and Bills succeed, so that's some extra incentive to watch the game live as well.

Don't be fooled by the apparent competitiveness of the AFC East. Last year started off fairly competitive as well, and we all know how the division turned out.

Anyways, it's going to be Patriots vs Packers in the Super Bowl. AFC doesn't look too good this year aside from the Patriots. Bengals will choke in the playoffs once again, Luck can't beat the Pats, Peytons noodle arm will be done before the seasons over and will ultimately fail once again in the playoffs.

NFC is looking very competitive this year. I'm really hoping the Cardinals can stay healthy for once. It would be interesting to see what they can do in the playoffs with an actual quarterback. Will come down to the Packers, Seahawks, and the Cowboys if Romo comes back and stays healthy.

Edited by BhekifaZ

^^^ You beat me to it BhkifaZ.  Just finished watching the Thursday night game and it was just more bad football.  The Dolphins and Bills aren't looking too impressive and the Jets could go either way (gonna still hope they prove to be the real deal though). The rest of the AFC seems like it isn't going to pose any kind of threat at all to the Pats, especially when you look a their piss easy schedule.  Which is a real pity.  That doesn't come (purely) from Patriot hate either.  Watching an entire conference be fed to one team while everyone else, for the most part, plays terrible football just isn't entertaining.  The Bengals look good but, like you said, they choke every year when it counts.  Indy can only win when they tuck their tail and run back into their "division" and this year even Tennessee gave them all they could handle.  Denver's still interesting though, that defense looks REAL good.  If the offense can catch up they may pose a threat I guess.  Honestly, if the Jets and Broncos turn out to be smoke and mirrors (again, reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaally hoping they're not) then what's the point of paying attention to the AFC games at all?

@Acasser (for some reason my laptop won't let me actually quote you), it is live and does air at 6:30.  I'll watch it because my kids usually have us up pretty early but I wouldn't make an actual effort if I wasn't gonna be up already. 

I also like to think of myself as an NFL fan 1st and a Seahawk fan 2nd, and the Jets are a team I actually like and cheer for more often than not.  Seeing the AFC East finally be, possibly, competitive is exciting as well and after the superbowl debacle last year it would be even more satisfying to see the Jets, Dolphins and Bills succeed, so that's some extra incentive to watch the game live as well.

Pretty much the bold. I don't have a legitimate team I root for but even if I did I enjoy watching all of the games. It seems silly to not be a fan of the game, in general, for something as silly as "hometown" pride. 

------------------------------

OT:

I watched up until the first half ended before I fell asleep but I had the Ravens winning the game. (even if it was by luck)

My favorite play was watching Vick play defense for the guy who scored or watching Vick run the ball in general. 

Life as a Chiefs fan.

Seeing Smith get sacked over and over has me even more worried about next week's game for Seattle.  Poor Wilson's probably not going to live through the season at the rate the O-line is performing this year.  Sooooo glad they're not facing Suh tomorrow night.

The Jets have an alarming lack of killer instinct -- once again, we saw a team that could have been "put away" allowed to hang around and make a game of it.  They can't tackle a punt returner if their lives depended on it.  They take way too many penalties, too, although at least they didn't commit any ridiculously stupid personal fouls today.  Other than that, and having to get up at an ungodly early hour for a Sunday morning, it was a good Jets game.

On the upside, I like that the Todd Bowles-coached Jets don't go into a "prevent" defense.  I repeatedly have heart palpitations from the frequency of the blitzing, especially in situations where I wouldn't do so -- and I'd coach an aggressive defense to begin with -- but it's nice to see them not sitting back and letting teams nickel and dime them to death in the fourth quarter like so many others do.

Also, Buffalo sucks.  I switched to them from San Diego at the last moment in the "Survivor" pool I'm in and they're playing like complete crap.  Fuck you and your entire team, Rex Ryan.

Wow such an upset in the Viking/Broncos game.

Being stripped like that just shouldn't be something you allow. 2 guys running right at you and you see there is no defense you shouldn't do anything that gives them an opportunity to strip. Take a freakin yard loss by grounding the ball or throw out of bounds...

(and yes obviously if you don't have line of sight it's different)

I'm expecting the Saints/Cowboys game to be a good game. :hmm:

All but 2 games done and in the books and a couple things (in my opinion) have been confirmed.

-the Cardinals insane start was a result of their piss easy schedule and they looked mortal (and lost) against a real team

-Broncos defense looks to be legit

-9ers are in a free fall and Kaepernick could be riding the bench sooner than later

-Rams are a mirror image of Indy.  Beats every division opponent and can't seem to buy a win against everyone else

Still some questions though.

-are the Bengals gonna steamroll the regular season just to choke in the playoffs?

-is there any reason to think the #1 seed isn't a given for the Pats?

-same as a above for Green Bay on the NFC side

how bad can O-lines be across the board?

Edited by skidmarkgn
  • Like 2

Why...why is Suh allowed to play football...

He stomps arms, he stomps legs, now he's stomping heads (literally).  Next he's just gonna pull an opening scene from 'The Last Boy Scout'.  There's really no other way he can do worse, and you know he won't stop trying to one up his previous acts of assault!

• Like 2

He stomps arms, he stomps legs, now he's stomping heads (literally).  Next he's just gonna pull an opening scene from 'The Last Boy Scout'.  There's really no other way he can do worse, and you know he won't stop trying to one up his previous acts of assault!

The Dolphins deserve a decade's worth of losses for what they are paying him.

He'll only get in trouble when he stomps on a football and deflates it lmfao.

priorities-hg2ry3.jpg

Miami to no-ones surprise fire head coach Joe Philbin

If you listened to Joe Philbin's comments after the game yesterday, it apparantly was a surprise to him:  he seemed very confident that he wasn't going to get the axe.

Maybe he should count his blessings.  There are some owners out there that would have shoved him off the plane somewhere over the mid-Atlantic.

-9ers are in a free fall and Kaepernick could be riding the bench sooner than later

-are the Bengals gonna steamroll the regular season just to choke in the playoffs?

how bad can O-lines be across the board?

Three quick thoughts in reaction to these:

* Colin Kaepernick is safer than you'd think.  San Francisco only carries two Quarterbacks on their roster, the backup is Blaine Gabbert, and there's nothing worthwhile "on the street".  Kapernick is playing poorly, but there aren't superior options to be had.

* Let's see what happens when Cincinnati gets into the meat of their schedule.  They have a tendency to start reasonably quickly the last several years.... and it's not like they've played any particularly wonderful teams.  Oakland is improved but still "meh".  Baltimore isn't particularly great.  San Diego has been very shaky in the early going.  Kansas City just doesn't look like a very good team this year.

* Offensive lines are almost always shaky in the early season. A lot of what makes a good offensive line is chemistry, and it's still too early for a ton of chemistry to have developed.  When teams shuffle multiple bodies, the unit needs time to gel.  Let's see how bad things look in 4-6 weeks.

* Colin Kaepernick is safer than you'd think.  San Francisco only carries two Quarterbacks on their roster, the backup is Blaine Gabbert, and there's nothing worthwhile "on the street".  Kapernick is playing poorly, but there aren't superior options to be had.

I'm more thinking the decision makers might just go with Gabbert to try and (temporarily) satisfy the court of public opinion.  There's for sure nothing better to be had right now but 0 TD's and 5 picks in the last 2 games... Gabbert couldn't be much worse.  Best case scenario, he does well and the problem is (temporarily) pacified.  Worst case scenario, he sucks, but Kaep gets a little break to try and settle down and straighten out his head.

One quarter down and another abysmal offensive performance by Seattle.  Don't know why I even bother watching the 1st half of their games.

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/JimmyGraham.jpg

Yup, the defense holds the Lions to 3 points and the offense still tries to give it away.  Seattle eeks by despite the offense and if I'm hearing correctly the Lions also got screwed?

Edited by skidmarkgn

I find this funny. I don't know why but I do lol.

Taken from this article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/spooky-nfl-photo_56129b08e4b0af3706e15f32?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

56129ba31600002e00038017.jpeg?cache=gFIf

If only they took this photo 10 seconds earlier! (when the play clock had 13 seconds left on it)

One quarter down and another abysmal offensive performance by Seattle.  Don't know why I even bother watching the 1st half of their games.

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/JimmyGraham.jpg

Yup, the defense holds the Lions to 3 points and the offense still tries to give it away.  Seattle eeks by despite the offense and if I'm hearing correctly the Lions also got screwed?

Yeah, blatant no call by the refs, everyone including Seattle players and coaches agree it was a bad no call.  The no call gave Seattle the ball on their 20 when it should have remained with Detroit on Seattle's 1-yard line with a new set of downs (1st and goal).  Detroit was down by 3, worst case scenario they run 3 times in a row and fail and kick the 19 yard gimme field goal to tie and go into overtime.

As a long time 49ers fan watching that blatant batting penalty go uncalled really pissed me off in the moment, however it's understandable a lot of newer players wouldn't know the game.  None of them are students of the game like so many great players who came before them, and while I immediately jumped up off my couch and threw up my hands, I noticed not a single player, coach, or ref on the field did the same (except for one Lions player who was mostly off-screen).  While the calls went Seattle's way this time, you have to admit that barely squeaking out a win AT HOME to a winless 0-4 Lions team kinda proves that Seattle, while not quite as bad as the 49ers, are no where near their previous super bowl level and will probably go nowhere this year, maybe not even to the playoffs.  The downside of the NFC West and it's schedule is they have 6 hard division games this year, only 1 of which they've played (and lost), and they still have the meat of their schedule ahead including a 4-0 Panthers team, a 4-0 Falcons team, and a 4-0 Bengals team, 2 of which occur in the next 2 weeks.  They also have Dallas in Dallas, who are playing well without Romo (heh), followed by improving Ravens and Vikings teams and a Steelers team that may have their QB back later in the schedule by the time they play.  Now I'm not saying these will all be losses, but they'll probably lose a few, particularly against these high octane offenses that can handle a defense that's not what it was 2 years ago.  There's no doubt in my mind that Seattle will place ahead of my 9ers this year, however they won't win the division, and they may be in a dog fight to the bitter end just for 2nd place (most likely with the Rams, but after Sunday's game against the Cards, who knows).  My guess is they lose at least 2 games to the 3 undefeated teams above, drop another to either the Ravens, Vikings, or Steelers (perhaps even 2), drop 1 more elsewhere, and then at best split division games.  At this point that would put them around an 8-8 record for the year... maybe even 7-9.  I think the Rams and Cards will have 10-12 wins each, meanwhile the 49ers will sit around 4-12 (and hopefully demote Jim Tunaface and get a real head coach back in there, or even better, the players hire a hitman to take out York and Baalke and we can get some real management in the front office again).

If only they took this photo 10 seconds earlier! (when the play clock had 13 seconds left on it)

Yeah, blatant no call by the refs, everyone including Seattle players and coaches agree it was a bad no call.  The no call gave Seattle the ball on their 20 when it should have remained with Detroit on Seattle's 1-yard line with a new set of downs (1st and goal).  Detroit was down by 3, worst case scenario they run 3 times in a row and fail and kick the 19 yard gimme field goal to tie and go into overtime.

As a long time 49ers fan watching that blatant batting penalty go uncalled really pissed me off in the moment, however it's understandable a lot of newer players wouldn't know the game.  None of them are students of the game like so many great players who came before them, and while I immediately jumped up off my couch and threw up my hands, I noticed not a single player, coach, or ref on the field did the same (except for one Lions player who was mostly off-screen).  While the calls went Seattle's way this time, you have to admit that barely squeaking out a win AT HOME to a winless 0-4 Lions team kinda proves that Seattle, while not quite as bad as the 49ers, are no where near their previous super bowl level and will probably go nowhere this year, maybe not even to the playoffs.  The downside of the NFC West and it's schedule is they have 6 hard division games this year, only 1 of which they've played (and lost), and they still have the meat of their schedule ahead including a 4-0 Panthers team, a 4-0 Falcons team, and a 4-0 Bengals team, 2 of which occur in the next 2 weeks.  They also have Dallas in Dallas, who are playing well without Romo (heh), followed by improving Ravens and Vikings teams and a Steelers team that may have their QB back later in the schedule by the time they play.  Now I'm not saying these will all be losses, but they'll probably lose a few, particularly against these high octane offenses that can handle a defense that's not what it was 2 years ago.  There's no doubt in my mind that Seattle will place ahead of my 9ers this year, however they won't win the division, and they may be in a dog fight to the bitter end just for 2nd place (most likely with the Rams, but after Sunday's game against the Cards, who knows).  My guess is they lose at least 2 games to the 3 undefeated teams above, drop another to either the Ravens, Vikings, or Steelers (perhaps even 2), drop 1 more elsewhere, and then at best split division games.  At this point that would put them around an 8-8 record for the year... maybe even 7-9.  I think the Rams and Cards will have 10-12 wins each, meanwhile the 49ers will sit around 4-12 (and hopefully demote Jim Tunaface and get a real head coach back in there, or even better, the players hire a hitman to take out York and Baalke and we can get some real management in the front office again).

There's two things here I agree with and two things I don't.

First things first though.  When the batted ball play happened live I was on my way home from work so I didn't see it live, I had to listen on the radio.  After it was spontaneously announced that the refs screwed up I watched the play and all I could think was "what a stupid rule".  Not because my home team should have been hurt by it but because any rule that can be so easily circumvented needs some tweaking.  Think of it like this, Had KJ known about the rule, stuck both hands out and "accidentally" pushed the ball out then the only conversation being had is the sensational play by Kam and Earl and how Seattle's defense is back.  Lions fans would still be pissed beyond belief but they would have to actually blame their own players instead of being able to point at the refs.  By the way, tip of the cap to the Lions and especially Megatron for staying classy about it.

Now, onto your post.  The things I agree with:

-They lose 2 out of 3 to the currently undefeated teams they play.  The Bengals and Falcons stand a pretty good chance.  Not because of their offenses (I'll get to that later) but because the Bengals are a 10AM road game and the Falcons will probably know a thing or two about how Seattle's defense works.  The Panthers defense is for sure going to be a nightmare, especially against the O-line but the game's in Seattle and for some reason the Hawks just seem to have the Panthers number.  Ugly game with a close win for Seattle.

-Rams and Cards finish around 10-12 wins.  Well, I half agree with this.  I'm still thinking the Rams finish somewhere between 7-9 and 9-7.  They have 2 tough division wins (I firmly believe that if Kam played week 1 the Rams would be 1-3 right now) but they also have two terrible losses to sub-par teams, which is pretty much right on course for how they go every season.  Maybe they'll prove me wrong when it's all said and done but I'm kind of in "believe it when I see it" mode with them.

Things I don't agree with:

-"high octane offenses that can handle a defense that's not what it was two years ago".  Games against teams like that, bring it on.  Seattle's defense is definitely not the issue right now.  In weeks 1 and 2 yeah, it was discombobulated and they allowed a ton more points than usual.  Right now though, the entire core is present and accounted for and they've done what they're supposed to do, annihilate bad teams.  Seattle's defense has (when healthy and complete) feasted on high powered offenses time and again and I'm not worried about them at all.

-The Lions win proved they're no where near the level of the Superbowl years.  That Lions game was a classic "trap game". First, you have a team that's definitely not as bad as their 0-4 record indicates.  They've had some tough breaks and came into a prime time game with nothing to lose and a bitter former player wanting to make a statement, that's a dangerous team.  I'll definitely concede that the offense, especially the disaster that is the O-line, is no where near "Superbowl" level but they do have the talent to improve.  Whether or not they do is yet to be seen.  So as a whole, no, they're not at the same level but I wouldn't say they're no where near it, the defense is still elite and the offense has the potential to be at least average, which was pretty much the recipe they used to get there... twice.

And the 9ers.  I'm really hoping they get things figured out sooner than later.  I'm already missing the rivalry between our teams.  You may hate my team, and I yours but you have to admit, a couple of years ago when everyone was calling the NFC title game "the real Superbowl" it felt pretty good   :highfive:

Edited by skidmarkgn