National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

Un-fucking-believable.  Another game, another 4th quarter of the offense doing nothing but going backwards and the defense pointing fingers at each other after a game-losing blown coverage.  Guess it's true, guys get paid and they lose their fire.  Now on Thursday they can go ahead and let the 9ers put them in last place... where they belong.  Pitiful.

Un-fucking-believable.  Another game, another 4th quarter of the offense doing nothing but going backwards and the defense pointing fingers at each other after a game-losing blown coverage.  Guess it's true, guys get paid and they lose their fire.  Now on Thursday they can go ahead and let the 9ers put them in last place... where they belong.  Pitiful.

With the [improbable] win today and the Hawks losing, they're tied now, so Thursdays game will determine who's not the worst team in the division.  Another Battle of the Bad, lol.

Finally the get a W!! But what the hell... we have a fricking coach who simply can't count to 11... Double 12-man penalty tonight, and on the final play camera caught him counting with finger like a baby... can't be serious!

As a Niners fan I'm glad they won, but that catch by Patton he had his foot on the line, they should have punted there with 3+ mins left, which would have given the Ravens plenty of time to go down the field.  We got lucky...

Even I feel bad right now for the loss and I don't even care who wins games. :(

EDIT:

A guy I know out in california must be breaking stuff right now over SD's loss lol. Rivers should have realized how easy it would have been for him to walk the ball in. :facepalm:

Edited by Avatar_Of_Battle

EDIT:

A guy I know out in california must be breaking stuff right now over SD's loss lol. Rivers should have realized how easy it would have been for him to walk the ball in. :facepalm:

Right when that drive started and Rivers started moving them down the field I looked over at my wife and said 'You know what'd be funny, is if they get all the way to the goaline and turn it over on downs'.  She laughed when I said it... :P

• Like 1

@Matto_isi.  Right now I envy your 9ers.  Yeah, their record is bad but at least there's a reason for it.  They lost their coach, they lost their defense, they lost their star RB, the list goes on and on.

Seattle, on the other hand.  No excuse for the bullshit football they're putting out on the field right now.  There's too much talent on that team for them to be 2-4.  Yeah, their schedule has been absolutely brutal (3 undefeated teams in 6 games!) but they had no business losing the last 2 games, none.  It's obviously in their heads now, you could see it on their faces during that 4th quarter, they knew it was coming, the fans knew it was coming, then it inevitably happened... again.  +2 on turnovers, 150 yards to Jimmy and they somehow still give it away, at home, with stupid penalties at the worst possible times, blown coverages (although the Panthers started making miracle catch after miracle catch late in the game too) and another ridiculous withering away in the 4th, a quarter where they, for the past couple years, have been dominant and usually take games away from other teams.  Oh well, fuck it.  there's always next year.

I'm from Australia and been watching it for years

Now WTF were the Colts doing in that 4th down play

And Does anyone know the catch rules, after today's ruling in the Bears @ Lions game, I officially have no fucking idea

I believe the Colts were attempting to catch the Patriots off guard. They were going to try and see if they could get New England to get 12 people on the field or draw them offsides. They were not supposed to actually snap the ball. 

In my opinion the Lions catch was an interception. To score a touchdown you need possession of the ball and to get 2 feet down while IN CONTROL of the ball. Tate had possession and got one foot down, but he didn't keep control while getting his second foot down. Since he didn't actually have the ball controlled that play was not a catch, but instead an interception. To compare, the Dez Bryant catch was a catch because he had control, got 2 feet down, and only lost possession momentairly while making a football play on the ball after the catch. 

In fairness to the Seahawks, their schedule hasn't been particularly friendly:  they've already played three teams who are still undefeated.  That doesn't mean they're not a badly flawed team, that doesn't mean that they're incapable of 6-10 or something like that.... but I figure they've got one more push in them and the playoffs aren't out of the question because the 2nd Wild Card is very much in reach and their division isn't anything close to what I'd call a "done deal".

I wish the Patriots had opened up a can of whoop-ass on the Colts last night, something like 55-3.  Then there would have been the chance of a letdown next weekend when the Jets roll into town.  Since the Pats were pushed to their limit by Indy, I figure the Jets are due to be roadkill next Sunday.

I caught the last few minutes of the 4th quarter and all of OT of the Denver-Cleveland game -- CBS was "blacked out" in my neck of the woods until 4:00 PM because of the television rules.  Watching Peyton Manning for that period of time, I felt like I was watching the last few months my dog was alive.  The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.  Peyton just isn't the same quarterback anymore, probably hasn't been since he got injured last season.... and I hope for his sake and all of us who hold fond memories of his play that he recognizes as much and retires if this is how he plays the rest of the season.

lmfao someone please explain to me just what the actual fck the Colts were trying to do with that play?

They were trying to do this:

https://youtu.be/XwHDsKb1_YM?t=1m31s

The problem is the Pats didn't all jump to one side, they kept 5 guys in the middle.  Because of this, the guy acting as QB should have dropped into Shotgun and then lateraled back to one of his 9 guys on the right who could have blocked the other 5 Pats (1 was back deep to receive) and easily got the 3 yards they needed, if not a TD.  They wanted to run a play there, but the Pats didn't all jump to the right, so the Colts were screwed, and football players are mainly dumb as shit, so the guy just snapped the ball anyway.  You get paid to run fast, hit hard, catch balls, and apparently dance around like a fairy when you do one of the other 3 aforementioned things - thinking is not their strong suit.  That game could have easily been close, like within 3 points, maybe even a Colts win if they hadn't fucked that up.  I root for the Colts as much as my Niners, and only root against them when they play the Niners, so I'm pretty pissed.  It could have been a great play, maybe even a game-changer for them.  Instead it went the other way and gave Brady a handout, which he doesn't need and will always make you pay for doing.

In fairness to the Seahawks, their schedule hasn't been particularly friendly:  they've already played three teams who are still undefeated.  That doesn't mean they're not a badly flawed team, that doesn't mean that they're incapable of 6-10 or something like that.... but I figure they've got one more push in them and the playoffs aren't out of the question because the 2nd Wild Card is very much in reach and their division isn't anything close to what I'd call a "done deal".

I wish the Patriots had opened up a can of whoop-ass on the Colts last night, something like 55-3.  Then there would have been the chance of a letdown next weekend when the Jets roll into town.  Since the Pats were pushed to their limit by Indy, I figure the Jets are due to be roadkill next Sunday.

I caught the last few minutes of the 4th quarter and all of OT of the Denver-Cleveland game -- CBS was "blacked out" in my neck of the woods until 4:00 PM because of the television rules.  Watching Peyton Manning for that period of time, I felt like I was watching the last few months my dog was alive.  The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.  Peyton just isn't the same quarterback anymore, probably hasn't been since he got injured last season.... and I hope for his sake and all of us who hold fond memories of his play that he recognizes as much and retires if this is how he plays the rest of the season.

I did some research to kill some time and looked at the combined win/loss numbers of opponents for Seattle and the 5 undefeated teams.

Seattle's opponents combined record:  21-12, three undefeated teams

Bengals: 11-24, zero teams with a winning record

Pats: 13-16, one team with a winning record (Steelers 4-2)

Panthers: 9-20!!  zero teams with a winning record

Packers: 11-25, zero teams with a winning record

Broncos: 10-24, one team with a winning record (Vikings 3-2)

Doesn't really mean much but there you go.  

As for Seattle's play-off chances, you're 100% correct.  The bright side for them is that their schedule eases up  a ton from here on out.  The Steelers are worrisome but at least they get that game at home, the Cardinals could go either way (I'm still not convinced they're as good as their record) and beyond that... every game left looks winnable.  It's on them from here on out.  Either they remember who they are and how they play, or they don't.  The Cards are only 2 games up in the division and they still haven't played the Packers or Bengals yet, not to mention Seattle gets two cracks at 'em to try and take care of their own dirty work.  I'd put their (Seattle's) play-off chances at about 65/35 right now, especially knowing (well, assuming) that the 2nd wild card, like you said, is most likely going to be filled by a less than impressive team.

They were trying to do this:

https://youtu.be/XwHDsKb1_YM?t=1m31s

The problem is the Pats didn't all jump to one side, they kept 5 guys in the middle.  Because of this, the guy acting as QB should have dropped into Shotgun and then lateraled back to one of his 9 guys on the right who could have blocked the other 5 Pats (1 was back deep to receive) and easily got the 3 yards they needed, if not a TD.  They wanted to run a play there, but the Pats didn't all jump to the right, so the Colts were screwed, and football players are mainly dumb as shit, so the guy just snapped the ball anyway.  You get paid to run fast, hit hard, catch balls, and apparently dance around like a fairy when you do one of the other 3 aforementioned things - thinking is not their strong suit.  That game could have easily been close, like within 3 points, maybe even a Colts win if they hadn't fucked that up.  I root for the Colts as much as my Niners, and only root against them when they play the Niners, so I'm pretty pissed.  It could have been a great play, maybe even a game-changer for them.  Instead it went the other way and gave Brady a handout, which he doesn't need and will always make you pay for doing.

The play makes more sense when lined up like that, but as you said the Colts didn't really execute that well. It wouldn't have mattered anyway considering that they screwed up not just the play's line up but the line up in general getting penalized.

Colts did have a good chance at winning that game. Just seemed like they made some really bad decisions. The worst part about the whole game was the onside kick. It was clear that there wasn't a good visual on what happened...I just wish it didn't happen in this game.

---------------------------------

My friend in Florida must be bald right now if she can see or hear how the Giants are playing lol.

The game in general is terrible.

And Does anyone know the catch rules, after today's ruling in the Bears @ Lions game, I officially have no fucking idea

Same been watching since 1998 and been supporting the Minnesota Vikings.

They thought they can outsmart the Patriots Defense but they fooled themselves lol

The play makes more sense when lined up like that, but as you said the Colts didn't really execute that well. It wouldn't have mattered anyway considering that they screwed up not just the play's line up but the line up in general getting penalized.

Colts did have a good chance at winning that game. Just seemed like they made some really bad decisions. The worst part about the whole game was the onside kick. It was clear that there wasn't a good visual on what happened...I just wish it didn't happen in this game.

---------------------------------

My friend in Florida must be bald right now if she can see or hear how the Giants are playing lol.

The game in general is terrible.

I don't really blame the Colts for the onside kick. They are up against a team who they believed cheated them (I don't) but they are doing whatever it takes to win. They had a lead for half the game so why not try to get ahead more? Overall the onside kick wouldn't have decided the game anyway. Honestly it may have turned into a blowout if it wasn't for the lucky Mike Adams pick 6. That play ultimately kept them in the game and gave them some hope.

As for the Patriots, I am no fan, but honestly I am not sure if they can be stopped. Its quite early, but we may see a 16-0 out of these boys this season. The only "real" threats are Denver and the Jets at home in November and December respectively. Obviously its football and games come down to the wire so often that having a perfect season is nearly impossible. Worst case scenario they go 14-2. We may actually see a Colts, Patriots rematch in the playoffs. 

I don't really blame the Colts for the onside kick. They are up against a team who they believed cheated them (I don't) but they are doing whatever it takes to win. They had a lead for half the game so why not try to get ahead more? Overall the onside kick wouldn't have decided the game anyway. Honestly it may have turned into a blowout if it wasn't for the lucky Mike Adams pick 6. That play ultimately kept them in the game and gave them some hope.

As for the Patriots, I am no fan, but honestly I am not sure if they can be stopped. Its quite early, but we may see a 16-0 out of these boys this season. The only "real" threats are Denver and the Jets at home in November and December respectively. Obviously its football and games come down to the wire so often that having a perfect season is nearly impossible. Worst case scenario they go 14-2. We may actually see a Colts, Patriots rematch in the playoffs. 

I wasn't placing blame on anyone for the onside kick? I was saying that I wished the incident didn't happen because it was ruled in the Pat's favor. That alone probably sent Colts fans into a rage because of last year.

Colts looked like the Steelers did in week 1. Just blown opportunities. 

I don't think we'll see a 16-0 season though. I found out one of my friends is a Jets fan...so that'll be interesting lol.

I wasn't placing blame on anyone for the onside kick? I was saying that I wished the incident didn't happen because it was ruled in the Pat's favor. That alone probably sent Colts fans into a rage because of last year.

Colts looked like the Steelers did in week 1. Just blown opportunities. 

I don't think we'll see a 16-0 season though. I found out one of my friends is a Jets fan...so that'll be interesting lol.

Yeah the Jets are interesting to say the least. I personally believe their defense is #2 skill-wise overall only behind Denver (Even though the Jets are ranked #1). Their offense is also not bad. They have Chris Ivory who has been running great, plus they have Fitzpatrick. Fitzpatrick is by no means great but he doesn't turn the ball over as much as Geno Smith would and he can put enough points on the scoreboard to win consistently. I see the Jets at around 10-6 or 11-5 this year. They should sneak into the Wild Card.  

@Matto_isi.  Right now I envy your 9ers.  Yeah, their record is bad but at least there's a reason for it.  They lost their coach, they lost their defense, they lost their star RB, the list goes on and on.

Seattle, on the other hand.  No excuse for the bullshit football they're putting out on the field right now.  There's too much talent on that team for them to be 2-4.  Yeah, their schedule has been absolutely brutal (3 undefeated teams in 6 games!) but they had no business losing the last 2 games, none.  It's obviously in their heads now, you could see it on their faces during that 4th quarter, they knew it was coming, the fans knew it was coming, then it inevitably happened... again.  +2 on turnovers, 150 yards to Jimmy and they somehow still give it away, at home, with stupid penalties at the worst possible times, blown coverages (although the Panthers started making miracle catch after miracle catch late in the game too) and another ridiculous withering away in the 4th, a quarter where they, for the past couple years, have been dominant and usually take games away from other teams.  Oh well, fuck it.  there's always next year.

I don't think its anything new that I hate Seattle, but I actually agree with you. They have way too much talent to have a 2-4 record. I have some idea as to wtf is going on over there, but they have to figure it out and fast. The season hypothetically isn't over for you guys yet. HOWEVER I believe that if you guys lose to the 49ers later today, you just won't be able to make up enough ground to reach the playoffs. In my opinion you guys have one of the hardest schedules in football and its highly unlikely you will finish the season 9-1 or 10-0. You absolutely can and should beat the 49ers this week. I see you in the same boat as the Cowboys. The Cowboys need to ride out the storm until Dez and Tony come to the rescue. If Tony Romo comes back at a 3-6 or 4-5 record I believe the team may just have enough to either win the division or sneak into the Wild Card. For you guys its about figuring out whats going on and getting on the same page. The Cardinals have been exposed. You guys still can make up enough ground to win the division or sneak into the Wild Card, but its HAS to happen within 1 or 2 weeks. I cannot stress that enough. 

@Lithium (more laptop woes so no quoting)

I think all the little adjustments and losses they had in the offseason had more of an affect than anticipated and they're having trouble adjusting.  I also truly believe that all the big fat contracts that were handed out had an affect.  The only "paid" player that seems to still have a fire on defense is Earl.  Kam and Sherm haven't played up to their standards (or, in Kam's case, at all for 2 games) and Williams is having a terrible time trying to adjust to Seattle's system.  The pass rush is still pretty good but they fade in the end-games because they lost all their depth and get worn out.  The offense is being victimized by the O-line more than anything.  I heard today that Lynch has been averaging half a yard before being hit... half a freaking yard.  His "after first contact" yardage is around 2 and a half. 

Out of curiosity who's your team? 

Golden Tate is obviously banging someone at the NFL offices. Twice he has had a bullshit catch go his way.