Sad News: Angry Birds developer Rovio to lay off 260 staff

ZeroXOF

It sucks to lose your job and it's even worse when it's your dream job. I wouldn't wish that on my enemy. The fact that it's 38 percent of the workforce that are getting made redundant from the following 110 from Christmas last year is just not cool Rovio.

Here's the full scoop from Eurogamer:

"Rovio, the studio behind mobile phone phenomenon Angry Birds, will make redundant 260 staff in a new round of lay-offs.It follows a reduction of 110 staff just before Christmas last year.2014's downsizing accounted for 16 per cent of its total workforce. Today's announcement affects 38 per cent of Rovio's remaining employees."

You can read the full story on Eurogamer.net: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-26-angry-birds-developer-rovio-to-lay-off-260-staff

It is not sad bad good news, angry birds 1 and few spin off was good games, for 5 10 minut but they deserved for going down for angry birds 2 full of microtransactions.People lost jobs? This is life it's mean rovio doesn't need them,they producing small games for android so how many people they hire 500 ? Nothing is forever ab was popular few years ago.

It is not sad bad good news, angry birds 1 and few spin off was good games, for 5 10 minut but they deserved for going down for angry birds 2 full of microtransactions.People lost jobs? This is life it's mean rovio doesn't need them,they producing small games for android so how many people they hire 500 ? Nothing is forever ab was popular few years ago.

You have to remember so of thesepeople who lost their job may of had better or more stable jobs offers in the past. Also the gaming industry isn't the place one would want to lose their job at the moment right now. 

• Like 1

This is shocking news especially after releasing there new game. I bet a lot of the people layed off worked on Angry Birds 2. "ok guys thanks for helping in releasing our new game, now get out, you guys aren't need anymore. Have a nice life!" I never liked Angry Birds, and I definitely don't like Rovio as a company.

You have to remember so of thesepeople who lost their job may of had better or more stable jobs offers in the past. Also the gaming industry isn't the place one would want to lose their job at the moment right now.

Gaming industry is still growing up (good for us good for them)but really think if you working for rovio company who creating games for mobile platform(casual gamers) you have to deal with fact that your position is not forever, this is not grocery or cloths etc people don't need play but need eat ,dress up . Playing is popular because millions casuals start playing but same as they start same easy they can stop and watch more tv series or movies or play sport drink fuck etc.

Nothing for people but against rovio just fuk them, as every pay 2 win creator

Mobile (phone) gaming is a fad. You might be able to ride the wave for a little while, but that industry is cut-throat. Have a project you work on in your spare time so your resume shows continuous work on *something*.

If anybody has ever gotten in to game programming for it's stability, you haven't paid attention to history.

Get in, learn, hoard your money and always be ready for the boot. 

• Like 2

Gaming industry is still growing up (good for us good for them)but really think if you working for rovio company who creating games for mobile platform(casual gamers) you have to deal with fact that your position is not forever, this is not grocery or cloths etc people don't need play but need eat ,dress up . Playing is popular because millions casuals start playing but same as they start same easy they can stop and watch more tv series or movies or play sport drink fuck etc.

Nothing for people but against rovio just fuk them, as every pay 2 win creator

Oh, I understand. It's just I show compassion for people who aren't prepared for that kind of thing to happen to them. Anyway, I would think most of the 38 percent cut would be mostly filled with junior devs rather than senior. 

Edited by ZeroXOF

Mobile (phone) gaming is a fad. You might be able to ride the wave for a little while, but that industry is cut-throat. Have a project you work on in your spare time so your resume shows continuous work on *something*.

If anybody has ever gotten in to game programming for it's stability, you haven't paid attention to history.

Get in, learn, hoard your money and always be ready for the boot. 

Yep, mobile is crazy. It seems you have to be in the top 20 to make decent money, and in the top 50-100 games to gain any users and "maybe" make money.

Interestingly, the market seems less penetrable to advertising compared to console gaming too.

Hype/advertising in the console/PC markets can sell millions of copies.

Because they're such throwaway experiences, I don't think it's possible to garner as much hype for mobile experiences through advertising? 

Edited by StrickenBiged

How many people does one need to make a little mobile game.

This is what you get for overestimating your own capabilities

I don't know if you saw a bedding, toy or childs clothing department since 2012, but Rovio licensed the crap out of their IP and bedding, toys and clothes were plastered with their images. It makes sense that the fad is winding down all these years later.

Unfortunately, this is the way to do it. When an IP holder gains a bit of popularity, they need to flood the market with their products because it doesn't tend to stick around for long. Bedding and clothing (all at *least* 60% profit margin for retailers) are the easy choice. Toys (depending on if it is made with safe materials and isn't subject to a safety recall) are a gamble that often also pays off.

All this is to say I'd be willing to bet that a good part of these layoffs weren't only programmers. Marketing, purchasing, all kinds of other people have been in the mix for a while. I'd actually be surprised if the programmers were more than a third of the total employees at peak.

Yep, mobile is crazy. It seems you have to be in the top 20 to make decent money, and in the top 50-100 games to gain any users and "maybe" make money.

Interestingly, the market seems less penetrable to advertising compared to console gaming too.

Hype/advertising in the console/PC markets can sell millions of copies.

Because they're such throwaway experiences, I don't think it's possible to garner as much hype for mobile experiences through advertising? 

To add to your interesting information, people should note that Angry Birds was "Rovio's" (after several name iterations) 52nd!!!! game. Followed by 52 Angry Birds games. Just kidding... There are only 51. 

How many people does one need to make a little mobile game.

Well me and two other guys are finishing up a small mobile game. So not many. 

Finishing up my internship next week with a game company and I'll be applying for work afterwards, not the kind of thing I like to read about but that is the game industry. Hopefully those people will get another job quickly.

They should have made something new rather than another Angry Birds game, but I guess the first one was so successful they thought they might get the same results again.

I feel bad for the people losing their jobs, but not for the dying IP. I never really cared for Angry Birds (or mobile gaming for that matter) all that much. The amount of casuals that it had/has flooding into the same market kind of drowns out the demands of and threatens the quality of games released to the core gaming audience.

They should have made something new rather than another Angry Birds game, but I guess the first one was so successful they thought they might get the same results again.

Amazing Alex, The Croods, Retry, Selfie Slam. They also published Tiny Thief, Juice Cubes, Plunder Pirates, Jolly Jam, Sky Punks, Icebreaker: A Viking Voyage and Word Monsters.

It wasn't a matter of making something new. Angry Birds was paying the bills while they were trying. Looks like that train has almost run out of steam.

Sucks for people to lose their job, but Rovio... They just got lucky with Angry Birds. They can accept more losses because I doubt this studio will hit the jackpot twice. Angry Birds has been sucked dry from pillows to soda. I'm surprised they didnt make an Angry Bird dildo for the market yet.

CW91382lg.jpg

And now to purge my Search history on my laptop :P

Edited by Dr_Mayus
  • Like 3

CW91382lg.jpg

And now to purge my Search history on my laptop :P

Haha. I doubt those really are dildos tho. Looks more like those things for kids that float in the water. I cant believe I'm actually having this convorsation D:::

Living in Finland is the worst. Angry Birds items are everywhere. I think it's calming down abit but in the recent years it has been insane.

Edited by LovesAnInjection

Haha. I doubt those really are dildos tho. Looks more like those things for kids that float in the water. I cant believe I'm actually having this convorsation D:::

Living in Finland is the worst. Angry Birds items are everywhere. I think it's calming down abit but in the recent years it has been insane.

It is actually one of those things you blow up and punch but when I saw it I had to post ^_^