Opinions on PS4 backward compatibility

Superbuu3

Dylan Rules  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Would you actively use the feature?

• Yes, for PS1
    • Yes, for PS2
    • Yes, for PS3
    • Not even at all

Look, you can have the PS4 you have now, at the price it is now, or you can have BC and have your PS4 be an inch thicker, run hotter and cost $200 more.

Sony did that last gen, and how did it work out for them? Horribly, that's how. Why would they go down that road again?

Edited by ONUOsFan
  • Like 1

How many people actually care about BC anyways? I have a BC launch model ps3 and have put in all of 2 hours of play time on my old ps2 games in 5 years. I have several friends who have BC ps3s that have put even less time into ps2 games then me. The only people that care about playing previous gen games are those who would like having the consoles to go with them. The headache Sony would endure in trying to make this work isn't worth shutting the mouths of the few whining MS fanboys out there (happy to see they have made their way here too).

MS has made one terrible move after another this generation. They keep investing resources into features only the minority care about and even they would barely utilize. In the end, this feature will be a giant waste of time for everybody involved....including those of us talking about it now.

I really don't care about that. I won't sell my ps3 so I have no need of it. Better spend money on new games, not to say that there aren't any. having said that I do understand why some people like it :D

Also, I don't understand why BC has not been an issue for playstation for the last, what, six years? And now all of a sudden it is again, just because MS came out with the same thing they already had on the 360?

How many people actually care about BC anyways? I have a BC launch model ps3 and have put in all of 2 hours of play time on my old ps2 games in 5 years. I have several friends who have BC ps3s that have put even less time into ps2 games then me. The only people that care about playing previous gen games are those who would like having the consoles to go with them. The headache Sony would endure in trying to make this work isn't worth shutting the mouths of the few whining MS fanboys out there (happy to see they have made their way here too).

MS has made one terrible move after another this generation. They keep investing resources into features only the minority care about and even they would barely utilize. In the end, this feature will be a giant waste of time for everybody involved....including those of us talking about it now.

Yeah I know right its not like all 3 of you actually have PS2 games on your trophy lists. Oh wait you do, and one of you is literally playing R and C 2 right now >_>.

If I can just also add the current state of emulating the PS2 with X86 architecture (which is what the PS4 now has): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCSX2

(tl;dr: it's terrible)

They work now though and they were working with varying amounts of success on PCs weaker than the current PS4.

So is there actually good reason to believe that sony wouldn't be able to do better, I mean lets not forget the guys doing the ps2 emulators were also working on this as a hobby and would've had to figure out a bunch of stuff sony would've known from the start.

If its actually a flat out no just say so, its not like I can argue this point as I don't have the required hardware knowledge.

The insane fact that MS isin't charging for this sudo BC, pretty much means you'll never see that list of compatible games grow past the 100 or so they've promised.

PSNow makes a profit.

MS's "BC" does not.

Well just have to wait and see how long it takes to bite them in the ass.

Yeah I know right its not like all 3 of you actually have PS2 games on your trophy lists. Oh wait you do, and one of you is literally playing R and C 2 right now >_>.

Apples and oranges son. All hd remakes and none of which i own the ps2 disk of. A re-release of an old game on a new system is still made for that system. BC has nothing to do with it.

I know it's difficult and it may burt a bit, but you should really think about statements before posting them.

And...?

I also dont care about BC and played Sly Triologie... why? Because Sly4 was bundled with my PS3SS and was nice. And the Triology has trophies. xD

Apples and oranges son. All hd remakes and none of which i own the ps2 disk of. A re-release of an old game on a new system is still made for that system. BC has nothing to do with it.

I know it's difficult and it may burt a bit, but you should really think about statements before posting them.

You bought a ps3 and then proceeded to buy PS2 games, your first set of plats include 4 old GoW games. You've shown that there is interest in previous generation games regardless of what you say. You're someone who actually chose to play old games before new games on your shiny new system... thats obviously a contradiction.

I'm not wasting my time with responses unless you begin to make sense.

EDIT: if you choose to then insist this is your second PSN account, you still chose to play PS2 games on a second account before your multitude of games so point still stands.

Edited by Superbuu3
  • Like 1

Same argument was heard about the rumble/shock feature that was absent the first year of the PS3:s life. People fiercly argued that rumble should NOT return! Even though rumble always could be turned off.

Also, I got this:

sms-nes-and-famicom.jpg

(well, sort of kinda ish. Belongs here: http://retro-video-gaming.com/2013/07/09/game-collection-my-retro-room-re-visited/)

Wow, I was about to say i'm not going to comment in this thread again until someone says something interesting. You sir have succeeded that is one amazing collectoin and also very impressive in how organised it is.

I had over 100 PS2 games, and I would love to still play those. I was pissed when Sony removed the BC from their newer PS3 models (though I understand why they did it). On my fat PS3, I spent a lot of time playing my PS2 games along with my PS3 games. There were a few years where PS3 had no good games to offer, so I would jump back into Rogue Galaxy or Destroy All Humans or any other PS2 games.

Some of you are acting like BC isn't needed because nobody would use it. Saying things like "Why would want to play old games, when you have all these new ones?" Implying that, just because a game is old, it isn't as fun as the newest game. Well, I'd rather play Rogue Galaxy again, than play 90% of the new games.

I know remasters exist, but they aren't a perfect system to replace BC. Not only do you have to pay for the games again, you also can't play everything. Developers and publishers decide what game was popular enough to remaster (hell, sometimes it doesn't even have to be popular, like Beyond 2 Souls). If they think they can make money selling the same game again, then they'll remaster it. But lots of good games will be left untouched, since they aren't seen as money makers. BC is way better than remasters, unless you're obsessed with trophies.

PS Now is the only thing that can work. As of now, it's not a good idea. Streaming games with a monthly fee? That's a dumb idea. They can keep PSNow, but they need to make it free. Or if they can find a way to maybe make a one time fee for it, with unlimited access. That would be enough at this point, until they find a way to do what Microsoft is doing.

• Like 2

EDIT: I'm really confused why so many people are against BC. I don't see how it actually will have a negative impact on them yet they seem to be arguing that they don't need it so therefore it should not exist. Just because I don't need something doesn't mean other people shouldn't have it lol.

It's not people are against backward compatibility, it's the insinuation that Sony is somehow the lesser company for not having wasted their time with it. As someone who hasn't collected a hundred PS2 disks over the years, I have no need for backwards compatibility and would rather Sony work towards pushing the envelope of technology into the future rather than wasting time off in the weeds trying to make old technology compatible. Sure, I occasionally indulge in old classics from earlier generations, but that need is fulfilled by the things Sony has in place now. I understand the reason why people with a bunch of old disks would want this capability, but Sony said from the start before the release of the PS4 that it wasn't something they were going to do and that they were pressing forward with PS Now. Okay, they may have said something like "It may be something we'll consider in the future", but unless you have an elementary school-level of knowledge in human interaction, you won't know that that is a polite way of saying "Maybe, but probably no."

The insane fact that MS isin't charging for this sudo BC, pretty much means you'll never see that list of compatible games grow past the 100 or so they've promised.

PSNow makes a profit.

MS's "BC" does not.

Well just have to wait and see how long it takes to bite them in the ass.

Please say you are trolling. Gamers still buying games from their legacy and current library doesn't make them a profit?! Pass that dubby, brother!

Wow, I was about to say i'm not going to comment in this thread again until someone says something interesting. You sir have succeeded that is one amazing collectoin and also very impressive in how organised it is.

Well it's actually not my stuff, but I have access to it, so to say, and have donated a few things there. That place gives me all the backwards compatibility I'll ever need ^_^ I will deliver the fine words to the owner tomorrow. I fixed the link in the post now, and here it is again: http://retro-video-gaming.com/2013/07/09/game-collection-my-retro-room-re-visited/

Check it out, it is really neat. And everything works too.

Depends on the way you are looking at it... 

Intel Core i7-4790K "Devil's Canyon" is probably currently the most strongest consumer-processor... ~96 - ~107 GFLOPS.

(AMD FX-9590 would maybe fuck it - also your electricity bill xD -, when not everything would be intel-optimized.)

What does GFLOPS mean?

Means it is currently technical nearly impossible to provide native bc.

Have you never wondered, why there is no PS3-emulation on PC? Now you know why.

Maybe also interesting: The US-Airforce build a supercomputer out of 1760 PS3s. (Maybe you remember, the first generation had Linux-support.)

Playstations-in-Racks.jpg

I'll give it to Sony...they're a bunch of evil geniuses.  They have successfully overcomplicated something very simple to convice people to give them more money for something that was native to its platforms in th past. BRA-VO! :yay:

• Like 2

EDIT: I'm really confused why so many people are against BC. I don't see how it actually will have a negative impact on them yet they seem to be arguing that they don't need it so therefore it should not exist. Just because I don't need something doesn't mean other people shouldn't have it lol.

Im not against it. It would be nice to have BC on my PS4 even though I have a PS3 and a PS2 and still the PS1.... 

When PS3 was out though I honestly didnt play or replay a single PS2 or PS1 game on it. I had the Phat 60GB. Though I traded that in for a Slim Ps3 now.

The gap capabilities/features/graphics between PS1/PS2 vs PS3 was pretty big, I guess I got spoiled with PS3 graphics and couldnt ever go back. Especially playing a game hundred of hours maybe with no trophie progression... trophy ruined me too.

But seriously as amzing PS4 is now, a lot of games still feel very PS3 like. I still play a lot of PS3 games because well, PS4 doesnt feel that advance atm. So it woullld be nice to have PS4 BC.

I think its always nice to have a backup system or the older system too and not traded in. What if the PS4 broke down? there goes playing PS3 and PS4 games.

OK I dont know what im really talking about, just rambling. Have a good day Ser.

i was hoping for it theres some games i would love to play on Ps4 that are for ps3 but merciful84 just explained it so well "I guess as long as there are people out here who are willing to sell their rights as consumers' away to subscribe to PS Now and are dense enough to keep buying remastered editions of old gen games then Sony can continue to get away with it."

Key word there being trophies. Those are remasters with added trophy support. If they were simply the same old PS2 games with no trophies I guarantee I wouldn't be playing them, and BC doesn't add trophy support.

• Like 1