Games You Tried Hard To Love But Couldn't

Xel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

-Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel 

I like Sci-Fi/RPG shooters so this game was supposed to be my jam, I've played it numerous times and I thought it was too boring, it doesn't click with me.

-American Mcgee's Alice.

I'm a sucker for stories so dark and charming but everything about this game hasn't aged very well especially the platforming it's infuriating.

Edited by Xeliot

The Last of Us.  You couldn't go a day without hearing how much of a masterpiece it is so I picked it up not too long after release.  I always got to a point sooner or later where I dropped the game and had no motivation to return.  Four startovers of me thinking "Hey, I might get into it this time!" and still no juice.  The story was too slow-paced for my liking and I just couldn't feel for the characters at all.  You'd be amazed how many times you're labelled a hipster for expressing this matter of opinion.   :|

Though I will say, the opening segment is pretty damn awesome, and pulls you right in.  But for me, the rest of the game did not follow up.

Pretty much all Final Fantasy games starting with XIII, including Type-0.

As far as I'm concerned they're all exercises in horrible writing, storytelling and more often than not gameplay. I keep trying, because I grew up with the series and I keep hoping that SQEX gets their shit together and suddenly remembers how to make a good game again.

I pray that FF XV is that game, because the demo didn't exactly blow my mind.

Metal Gear Series.

I kept giving it a shot, thinking - this will be the one! Ill finally get it!

.... Nope.

Super interesting topic. Metal gear would be my pick too. I love the first one on Playstation. I have tried 2, 3 (multiple times) and 4 and just haven't gotten into them. People love them and I want to love them but they just never hook me.

Every Bethesda game ever. Well.. The Elder Scrolls and Fallouts.

I've played both Fallout 3 and new vegas for 15+ hours. Skyrim and Oblivion for 20+ hours... But I just could never get actively engrossed in them. I always got bored super quick and never really wanted to play them again. I understand they're good games and why theyr'e good... They're just not for me no matter how much I try.

Killzone Shadow Fall, tried (3 times!) to get into it but gave up, I just can't play a game that's so awful.

GTA IV & V. Bought V even after I was disappointed with IV, and immediately regretted it. Sold it and wished for a Vice City remake with awesome soundtrack and pastel suits.

Arkham Knight. Now I might get back to this but after playing for 2 hours I was left thinking, "Will you just leave that fucking awful Batmobile in the cave and just glide around the city". Fuck me, am I the only one that thinks the batmobile is a total waste of time!?. I spent ages calling the thing in to attach a winch to a lift, then reverse, then lift the lift, then do a remote  control drive,all the time thinking, "In the last batman game I'm sure I had a gadget on my person that would've done this in about 10 seconds!". 

• Like 1

Fallout 3 and Skyrim. Bethesda seems to have a certain style that just didn't click with me. I didn't really 'get' how to play Fallout 3 at first with using stealth and VATS, and I was expecting combat in Skyrim to be more engaging since I had just come off playing Kingdoms of Amalur. So, eventually I will give them another try to be fair now that I know a little more about them and won't be comparing them to other games.

The last of us. I really wanted to love it but i just couldn't get into it, i had to force myself to finish it

Deus ex human revolution, i'm a huge stealth fan and the whole concept of it was brilliant, loved the augmentation idea but again i just couldn't get into it, i tried it twice more afterwards on different occasions but still nothing....mankind divided looks ace aswell but i'm too sure if i will get it