Why Should I Never Store My Credit Card Info On PSN?

damon8r351

Good question, I'm glad you asked. I'm sure everyone is not dumb enough to store their credit/debit card on PSN, but in case you are then behold this masterpiece.

If someone steals your info, don't let it be because of something you did/didn't do.

Here's what he wrote that really sunk in for me, (and I hope it sinks in for others here as well):

Why did you store your debit card information on Sony's servers if you knew their security was questionable?

I don't know, I guess I never thought it would happen to me. I could have been more careful, and I definitely will be in the future.

• Like 1

If it makes me preachy or sound like an asshole to tell you that it's objectively (not subjectively, which is based on opinion, but objectively, which is based on fact) stupid to post unnecessary info online for people to find and use against you, then yes I am a preachy asshole. Individually, people are intelligent, thinking individuals. But being made aware of a hole in your security, and saying "Meh, not gonna happen to me, lalala" is dumb. Deliberately slamming your hand in a door is dumb. What would you say to someone who deliberately slammed their hand in a door? Probably, "Nice job, dumbass." Call me preachy if you like, I'm fine with that, because I'm also a preachy asshole that's never had their identity stolen. And believe me, it's not from a lack of effort on their part.

Maybe because of my line of work, I'm hypersensitive about it. I'll just throw this out there in terms you can relate to and then you can continue to think of me as a preachy asshole. You can do a lot of damage to a person with a few bits of info: real name, email, their birthdate, part of an ID number (like last 4 of an SSN in the US). Sound familiar? Hey, how's your Facebook security settings? Tight, you say. Fair enough. Google says you have a PSNProfile, and the forum profile says your birthday is February 1st. And a status on your profile feed from 2014 says your 21st birthday is soon, so I guess that makes your birth year about 1993-ish? Wait, you updated your profile to remove the birthdate? Fair enough, but you did answer this thread and say your sign is Aquarius, because that gives me a range of 20 January-19 February to play with over time. All I need now is your email and password, which I got through a data breach or key logger software or email worm or something else that's completely out of your control because these things happen. Ta-da! Now I'm looking at your email on the sly, got the password reset email, I'm in your PSN account and you left your billing info in there. Maybe your birthdate is wrong because you made the account when you were under 18 and just threw something in there. That's great, you threw another layer of security on yourself unknowingly. People have multiple emails, I get all that. But still.

And yes, this is a really convoluted way of stealing someone's accounts. Sounds like a heist movie, don't it? But its not theoretical, because in an extreme example it's how ISIS got a hold of the names and addresses of 100 members of the US military and posted them online (CNN initially reported it was from hacking databases, but it was later to be found by skimming data from social networks).

So, you know. Just saying.

Edited by damon8r351

My debit information was stolen a few weeks ago (not sure if it's because I have it stored on PSN). Someone used $900 dollars from my debit card and 24 attempted uses within an hour to buy stuff online from Walmart and Microsoft, but I just called my bank and all the charges were cancelled right away within 5 minutes.

Fraud is taken pretty serious and I still didn't remove my information from PSN because the conveinience outweighs the very minimal/ non-existent risk for me

Fair enough, but you did answer this thread and say your sign is Aquarius, because that gives me a range of 20 January-19 February to play with over time. All I need now is your email and password, which I got through a data breach or key logger software or email worm or something else that's completely out of your control because these things happen. Ta-da! Now I'm in your PSN account and you left your billing info in there.

I noticed you just edited out your own post on that Zodiac thread. But Google Cache and the Wayback Machine have copies of that thread, so I could easily see what your original post was.

I'm afraid you're doomed forever :(

• Like 1

I noticed you just edited out your own post on that Zodiac thread. But Google Cache and the Wayback Machine have copies of that thread, so I could easily see what your original post was.

I'm afraid you're doomed forever :(

Yup. Even I have made some mistakes. But I've also deliberately fudged my age the very rare times I've said it here. And it's also why I don't have my frickin' billing info saved on the net. :P

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 1

Except if you wanted to help people damon you would've put things in a much nicer way. Instead you talk down to people.

Next time just put PSA Sony customer services are terrible when it comes to a problem with your account, though we can't blame them a lot of companies are just as bad its probably best if you don't put any information up.

If people chose to take your advice thats fine, if you're really trying to be helplful stay calm and polite. You certainly dont resort to name calling or a condescending tone.

For the record I do agree its safer not to leave information out there, but I still don't like the way you've delivered any of this information.

Edited by Superbuu3
  • Like 2

Except if you wanted to help people damon you would've put things in a much nicer way. Instead you talk down to people.

Think that if you like. I think of it as tough love or a reality check for the other condescending people that aggressively argue that 5 seconds convenience is more important than protecting themselves.

Hey, did you hear about the people that got shot walking to the store, you better never walk to the store ever again.

This is a use of fear to make people afraid to do something that is very unlikely to ever cause them a problem.  You can come up with dozens of stories of people who have lost their credit card information and had trouble with false charges and gotten the run around, but I could could up with millions of people who have stored their info and never had a problem.  I could also come up with an equal number of stories as your nightmare cases of people who have had false charges that have been dealt with quickly and properly.  Just because you see bad things happening to a few people, does not mean that you need to run for the hills and avoid all use of a very convenient service.

Bad things happen all around us all the time, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't do anything.  If you live your life like that, you are missing the big picture.  Way more wonderful things happen around us then bad, the problem is that only the bad get spread around, so that is all we hear.  Parents freak out because they are terrified their kid will get kidnapped walking to school, when hundreds of thousands of kids walk to school around the country and world just fine.  People live in fear that their identity will be stolen, and their life will come to an end under a pile of debt, and yet I do not know a single person (and I work in the financial business) who actually ended up losing anything due to credit fraud.  There are numerous protections in place to keep the consumer safe, so you should be confident in using them, despite the odd bad story you hear.

Edited by Sir_Bee
  • Like 3

You just cannot help talking down to people, I am not sure you even know you are doing it, and your total lack of respect is depressing, you seem to think we are all simple and have only just got connected to the internet and do not know anything about anything.

It is as though you are creating a 'This is what you need to do' manual, all based on your opinions.

Many of us here are big people now, we know how to tie our own shoe laces.

Edited by JapanimeGamer
  • Like 4

After reading every post in this thread, I still don't understand one thing.  For the vast masses here, you can just buy PSN cards and take 5 seconds to enter a 12 character code to add whatever funds you want to your wallet.  AND they come in various monetary increments, so you can always estimate the amount you need for a single purchase.  Also, if you're that lazy, you can buy them from Amazon, they take a couple minutes to send you a code, and while still on your computer you can login to your PSN account and copy/paste the code.  I just don't understand why everyone is so adamant about keeping their credit card info on PSN for convenience when it's just as easy to use PSN cards.  All the arguments from those opposed to removing their card info are about whether or not your data is safe after a breach, saying their bank will handle it.  That's all well and good, but if you rely on your bank, your account gets banned, and you lose your digital purchases and trophies.  If you don't have your card linked, then you can change your password and other details and keep playing without having to file a chargeback and risk losing the account.  Comparing this kind of breach to using a card at Target or Walmart is comparing apples and oranges.  You don't get banned from ever shopping at those stores again if you file a chargeback.  They also don't come into your house and take back things you previously purchased.  The hassle specifically related to PSN is much greater, and this one guys story shows just how bad it can get.  I had my card physically lifted from my locker at the gym, and while the couple purchases the thief made were removed from my account cause of fraud, the gym did not revoke my membership.  Sony would have.  That's the difference.  If your only argument is 'my bank will handle it' then you are only accounting for half the hassle after you are hacked.  The next time I see a thread on here that someone got hacked and lost their account and had to create a new one, I will check this thread, and if you're on here, I will link to it just so everyone knows you were the diehard type who kept their card details on their account, and when asking your bank to remove the charges, Sony banned your ass, despite countless people trying to warn you in advance.

The entire point here is not that you are doing nothing to safeguard yourself, it's that you can do more.  And the point I found to be incredibly blunt is that if you are hacked and you wish to have any charges removed, Sony will ban.  And before anyone else says 'this is an isolated case', no, no it's not.  Tons of people get hacked on PSN every day.  Sony's infrastructure is terrible, and they've done nothing to fix it.  The difference is if someone hacks you and sees a linked card, they will go on a shopping spreee.  If someone hacks you and finds nothing of value, they will logout and look for another victim.  This is why I don't buy digital games and I don't link my card.  My account has almost nothing of value on it, unless you count the trophies.  And if someone does hack my account to get a handful of 99 cent games, I will change my password and email address and move on.  For those who have a card linked and make lots of high-end digital purchases, your account is a bigger target and in the end you will lose something.  If you don't care to admit it, that's fine, but seriously, don't come back here to complain, cause I will link to this thread, and we'll all have a good laugh at your expense.

• Like 1

For those who have a card linked and make lots of high-end digital purchases, your account is a bigger target and in the end you will lose something.  If you don't care to admit it, that's fine, but seriously, don't come back here to complain, cause I will link to this thread, and we'll all have a good laugh at your expense.

So you would laugh at someone if they got hacked and lost money...

What a disgrace.

So you would laugh at someone if they got hacked and lost money...

What a disgrace.

If they were cocky enough to stand in the streets screaming that they don't care if they get hacked cause their CC company will help them out instead of taking an extra step to protect themselves, then YES!

Though how would you lose money?  Your'e one of the ones claiming your CC company would bail you out.  So you mean wouldn't I laugh at you for losing your PSN account, and again, YES!

You want to leave your details on PSN, that's your choice, my point is you have no right to complain if it happens to you after everyone tried to tell you it could.  The only disgrace is your ignorance, and insulting me cause you believe yourself to be above it all proves that.

Edited by Matto_lsi

If they were cocky enough to stand in the streets screaming that they don't care if they get hacked cause their CC company will help them out instead of taking an extra step to protect themselves, then YES!

Though how would you lose money?  Your'e one of the ones claiming your CC company would bail you out.  So you mean wouldn't I laugh at you for losing your PSN account, and again, YES!

You want to leave your details on PSN, that's your choice, my point is you have no right to complain if it happens to you after everyone tried to tell you it could.  The only disgrace is your ignorance, and insulting me cause you believe yourself to be above it all proves that.

This is 100% builshit by the way.  As a customer of any service, be it a good or a bad service, you have every right and absolutely should complain when something goes wrong.  The things that you are suggesting we do SHOULD NOT BE NECESSARY, and therefor we have every right to not do them and complain if something goes wrong.  The minute you try to take that away, you you remove all blame on the company, and that goes nowhere good.  That being said, if you use your credit card anywhere on this planet, you run the risk of it being stolen, it doesn't need to stay there, it just needs to be used in a transaction, digital or physical.  You should not be taking it upon yourself to protect yourself by going out of you way.  All of this hate and anger should be directed at Sony and we as consumers should be forcing them to get better at what they do, don't direct it at your fellow consumer.

I mean lets look at this a different way, you have heard how many people are murdered around the world right?  You have been told that you are at risk just by existing in this world right?  So if your family gets killed, don't come back and complain to us because it happened.  That is a terrible way to live your life, and if you stand by the argument, it makes you terrible to your fellow man.

Of course people have a right to complain if they were hacked. Being hacked is a violation of your rights and safety in every way. Man, your entire point is very vindictive-sounding and you come across as a huge bully.

• Like 1

This is 100% builshit by the way.  As a customer of any service, be it a good or a bad service, you have every right and absolutely should complain when something goes wrong.  The things that you are suggesting we do SHOULD NOT BE NECESSARY, and therefor we have every right to not do them and complain if something goes wrong.  The minute you try to take that away, you you remove all blame on the company, and that goes nowhere good.  That being said, if you use your credit card anywhere on this planet, you run the risk of it being stolen, it doesn't need to stay there, it just needs to be used in a transaction, digital or physical.  You should not be taking it upon yourself to protect yourself by going out of you way.  All of this hate and anger should be directed at Sony and we as consumers should be forcing them to get better at what they do, don't direct it at your fellow consumer.

I mean lets look at this a different way, you have heard how many people are murdered around the world right?  You have been told that you are at risk just by existing in this world right?  So if your family gets killed, don't come back and complain to us because it happened.  That is a terrible way to live your life, and if you stand by the argument, it makes you terrible to your fellow man.

Lol a proponent of the 'poor me' defense.  If you could do something more to protect yourself or your interests then yes, you should not be allowed to complain.  There's already too many people in this world who immediately pass the blame from themselves to others when things don't go their way.  I would, in fact, like to eliminate that.  If you were completely unaware, that sucks, and I will feel bad for you, but if someone warns you and you do nothing, then yeah, that's on you bud.  And comparing to being murdered?  Wow, what' the next comparison, nazis?  That's a ridiculous comparison too.  Existing in a world is not the same as keeping CC info on PSN.  Now if someone warned you that going to the bad area of town and yelling racial slurs would get you killed and you did that and got killed, I'd have no sympathy for you, cause obviously you're an idiot.  Not the same thing as 'being murdered cause you exist in the world'.

Of course people have a right to complain if they were hacked. Being hacked is a violation of your rights and safety in every way. Man, your entire point is very vindictive-sounding and you come across as a huge bully.

Never said it was if you get hacked, try reading it again. 

Who is saying that they don't care if they get hacked?

When have I said I am above anything?

Back down with your foolishness.

Umm, a lot of people in this thread, actually.  Some specifically said they don't care because their CC company will bail them out.  The only foolish one here is you, but keep em coming dude, you're too funny.

I used my sister's credit card to buy stuff for just about two years and nothing ever happened to it, some time ago it gave me an error saying that the info was not right when, well, it was. Apparently some policies changed for my region and i can't use her credit card anymore, so now i use PSN cards instead. I do think it's safer this way, we all know there's a slight chance of something happening to PSN, just like when we go out and think that maybe someone might rob us.

But i also think it's much easier to use the credit card since we don't have to go out to buy the PSN card or use the internet to buy it. PSN is indeed not 100% safe, but what is 100% safe now a days?

You just cannot help talking down to people, I am not sure you even know you are doing it, and your total lack of respect is depressing, you seem to think we are all simple and have only just got connected to the internet and do not know anything about anything.It is as though you are creating a 'This is what you need to do' manual, all based on your opinions.Many of us here are big people now, we know how to tie our own shoe laces.

Gotta agree with this, been noticing it for a while. I get its just your personality and how you come across, but it's becoming more and more prominent.

Lol a proponent of the 'poor me' defense.  If you could do something more to protect yourself or your interests then yes, you should not be allowed to complain.  There's already too many people in this world who immediately pass the blame from themselves to others when things don't go their way.  I would, in fact, like to eliminate that.  If you were completely unaware, that sucks, and I will feel bad for you, but if someone warns you and you do nothing, then yeah, that's on you bud.  And comparing to being murdered?  Wow, what' the next comparison, nazis?  That's a ridiculous comparison too.  Existing in a world is not the same as keeping CC info on PSN.  Now if someone warned you that going to the bad area of town and yelling racial slurs would get you killed and you did that and got killed, I'd have no sympathy for you, cause obviously you're an idiot.  Not the same thing as 'being murdered cause you exist in the world'.

Never said it was if you get hacked, try reading it again. 

You make it sound like everyone gets murdered because they were doing something wrong.  You don't like the murder scenario, lets look at a car accident then.  You don't need to make any mistake to be in, injured or even killed in a car accident.  You have been told this in the past, and are fully aware of the risks, and yet you still decided to get in your car to drive to work that day.  So you then have zero right to complain when you get in a car accident, because you had full warning before hand that it was a risk, and you should have done more to protect yourself.  That is a stupid argument, and yet that is exactly what you are saying here.  It is actually more likely that you will be in a car accident than you will be hacked on PSN and lose money, so every single person who has ever been in a car accident should get zero compensation, and you would laugh at them all, correct?  I mean they knew the risks, and they could have taken extra steps to protect themselves, so they deserve what happens to them ...

I would also like to point out a hypocrisy here.  I would bet that almost every single person who is railing against storing their credit info online has a Facebook account.  You understand that a person can cause a hell of a lot more damage with all the info that facebook stores (and steals from you fyi) than just a credit card, but you are right, Sony is the enemy here.

And your comparison to a "poor me" argument is incorrect as well.  I am provided a service and promised protection, I am not 'passing' the blame, it lies directly with SONY because of what they have promised.  I am just holding them to it.  And no matter how bad their track record, every single person who gets screwed over by them deserves compensation and the right to complain. 

Umm, a lot of people in this thread, actually.  Some specifically said they don't care because their CC company will bail them out.  The only foolish one here is you, but keep em coming dude, you're too funny.

Would you like to link to some of those people who use the words 'I don't care if I get hacked'?

Here is your big chance... don't blow it now.

• Like 1

Holy shit, people. Honestly, why all the fuss around this thread? Damon came, posted an example of something bad happening, suggested something we all could do to avoid it happening with us and got out. There was no absolute need for any of this whole mess here, unless you took this

I'm sure everyone is not dumb enough to store their credit/debit card on PSN, but in case you are

seriously, but in that case it's more a matter of lack of knowledge about how Damon speaks, rather than he looking down to people. It's the way he talks, open his profile and then click on 'posts' and you will see there is a pattern.

I don't think there is anything else that still can be said to add anything to this conversation, so I guess I'll wait for Damon to lock this thread for its own good or wait a mod do that instead. The way I see it, there are 3 people here:

• 1- "This shit happens all the time, Sony can't be trusted!"
  • 2- "Oh shit, thanks for the heads up, better be safe than sorry."
  • 3- "CBA M8, I'll get this shit sorted out if it happens to me."
  • Like 1

You make it sound like everyone gets murdered because they were doing something wrong.  You don't like the murder scenario, lets look at a car accident then.  You don't need to make any mistake to be in, injured or even killed in a car accident.  You have been told this in the past, and are fully aware of the risks, and yet you still decided to get in your car to drive to work that day.  So you then have zero right to complain when you get in a car accident, because you had full warning before hand that it was a risk, and you should have done more to protect yourself.  That is a stupid argument, and yet that is exactly what you are saying here.  It is actually more likely that you will be in a car accident than you will be hacked on PSN and lose money, so every single person who has ever been in a car accident should get zero compensation, and you would laugh at them all, correct?  I mean they knew the risks, and they could have taken extra steps to protect themselves, so they deserve what happens to them ...

I would also like to point out a hypocrisy here.  I would bet that almost every single person who is railing against storing their credit info online has a Facebook account.  You understand that a person can cause a hell of a lot more damage with all the info that facebook stores (and steals from you fyi) than just a credit card, but you are right, Sony is the enemy here.

And your comparison to a "poor me" argument is incorrect as well.  I am provided a service and promised protection, I am not 'passing' the blame, it lies directly with SONY because of what they have promised.  I am just holding them to it.  And no matter how bad their track record, every single person who gets screwed over by them deserves compensation and the right to complain. 

For fucks sake, now you're just making shit up cause you feel like it.  I specifically said if you are warned that you could lose your PSN account by filing a chargeback for hacked purchases cause you left your CC info on your account, then that's your fault.  If you remove your CC info, you have no chargeback to worry about and even if you get hacked, you won't lose your account.  Sony bans when you file chargebacks, that's a known fact.  If you wanna deal with the hassle, that's fine, but in that particular situation, I feel so sympathy for your situation, cause you could have prevented it.  If you simply get hacked or were not part of this thread and unaware, then sure, that sucks for you and I wouldn't blame you for not realizing the situation.  But you are here, and the OP's post warned you that this might happen.  If you continue on with your CC info on your account and that leads to you losing it, that is 100% on you for not taking steps to avoid it.

So stop putting words in my mouth and stop making ridiculous comparisons.  And stop trying to argue points I am not trying to make.  You obviously didn't bother reading or absorbing anything I said.  You heard one word, got on your high horse, and started trying to prove me wrong.  I'll say it one last time, YOUR murder scenario was not the same thing.  I never said I'd laugh at you for simply getting hacked, I said then, as I just have above, is if you fail to protect yourself and rely on your bank and then Sony bans you per their policy, you have no right to complain.

On that note, the only comparison you can make in regards to a car accident is if your parents tell you to always wear your seatbelt, but you decide to not only disobey them, but maybe you want to hood-surf while on the freeway, then yeah, if the driver crashes and you fly off the car and die, that is 100% your fault.  Stop comparing completely different things.  If you are hacked, that sucks, hopefully it gets sorted.  If you are too stubborn to remove your card details and then get hacked, and then file a chargeback (which you are completely entitled to), that's all well and good, hope you get your money back.  BUT if all that happens and Sony bans your account, as they most certainly will, then I will not show you any sympathy or pity.  Do you get it now?  Have you even read this far?  You've proven to this point that you can't, so let's see where you go from here.

Would you like to link to some of those people who use the words 'I don't care if I get hacked'?

Here is your big chance... don't blow it now.

Jesus christ, I guess you don't remember the last 4 pages, including when you said that exact thing.  Add to refresh your memory, I specifically said that people are saying they don't care because their CC company will bail them out.  And yes, lots of peoples specifically said that, even you!

Bullshit, this can happen everywhere.

I never had any trouble and if you get accidently do get in trouble, Sony and your creditcard company will help you out.

You've got cybercrime everywhere, if you are scared then go ahead and do things the old fashioned way but it's a waste of your time 

My card is stored, I see no problem with that, not going to change.

Banks have 'intelligent software' that is triggered by certain activities which are not 'normal' for the specific owner of the card, so if for example I started to spend a lot of money quickly somewhere where I would not normally the bank would block this action, it has happened before and I support it entirely.

I don't think you need to remove your card from PSN, if you got hacked and prove it, you will be refund.

If sony don't refund its because maybe it's your mistake(i.e sharing acc) or Sony thinks you are pretending to be hacked to make money.

I won't remove my info for my account.

I work on payment industry doing projects for amex, mastercard, visa, etc. I can say the people don't need to worry about security, only the bank and the service provider.

If you didn't get your money back, you are stupid or did something stupid. PERIOD.

It's not about luck.

There is Consumer Protection Laws and other things.

I got hacked, remember me mentioning it? My bank had me covered, as did Origin, and within hours I was refunded in full. Security is not all on me, companies have things in place to help. Sometimes they don't, apparently a lot with Sony, but there are things in place, it sucks when extreme things happen. But for every story I see where people struggle, I see multiple who had no problem.

My debit information was stolen a few weeks ago (not sure if it's because I have it stored on PSN). Someone used $900 dollars from my debit card and 24 attempted uses within an hour to buy stuff online from Walmart and Microsoft, but I just called my bank and all the charges were cancelled right away within 5 minutes.

Fraud is taken pretty serious and I still didn't remove my information from PSN because the conveinience outweighs the very minimal/ non-existent risk for me

Before trying to distort my main point anymore, I will say it again.  If you are too cocky and stubborn to remove your CC info cause you believe that if you get hacked your CC company will take care of it for you, remember that Sony will ban your account when you file a chargeback.  If that happens, that one thing, if your account gets banned all cause you refused to remove your CC info, then yes, YES, I WILL NOT FEEL SORRY FOR YOU!

That is my one and only point.  Has been since I first posted.  Stop pretending like I'm saying other things.  To say you're fine with your CC on there cause nothing has happened yet is the same as saying you don't care if you are hacked because your CC company will fix it for you.  And they will, more than likely.  But you will still lose your PSN account, per Sony's TOS.  It's fine by me if you want to do that, it's your account, your CC info, your bank.  But again, if it does happen to you, I will not feel bad for you for at that point losing your account is 100% on you.

For fucks sake, now you're just making shit up cause you feel like it.  I specifically said if you are warned that you could lose your PSN account by filing a chargeback for hacked purchases cause you left your CC info on your account, then that's your fault.  If you remove your CC info, you have no chargeback to worry about and even if you get hacked, you won't lose your account.  Sony bans when you file chargebacks, that's a known fact.  If you wanna deal with the hassle, that's fine, but in that particular situation, I feel so sympathy for your situation, cause you could have prevented it.  If you simply get hacked or were not part of this thread and unaware, then sure, that sucks for you and I wouldn't blame you for not realizing the situation.  But you are here, and the OP's post warned you that this might happen.  If you continue on with your CC info on your account and that leads to you losing it, that is 100% on you for not taking steps to avoid it.

So stop putting words in my mouth and stop making ridiculous comparisons.  And stop trying to argue points I am not trying to make.  You obviously didn't bother reading or absorbing anything I said.  You heard one word, got on your high horse, and started trying to prove me wrong.  I'll say it one last time, YOUR murder scenario was not the same thing.  I never said I'd laugh at you for simply getting hacked, I said then, as I just have above, is if you fail to protect yourself and rely on your bank and then Sony bans you per their policy, you have no right to complain.

On that note, the only comparison you can make in regards to a car accident is if your parents tell you to always wear your seatbelt, but you decide to not only disobey them, but maybe you want to hood-surf while on the freeway, then yeah, if the driver crashes and you fly off the car and die, that is 100% your fault.  Stop comparing completely different things.  If you are hacked, that sucks, hopefully it gets sorted.  If you are too stubborn to remove your card details and then get hacked, and then file a chargeback (which you are completely entitled to), that's all well and good, hope you get your money back.  BUT if all that happens and Sony bans your account, as they most certainly will, then I will not show you any sympathy or pity.  Do you get it now?  Have you even read this far?  You've proven to this point that you can't, so let's see where you go from here.

EDIT: You know what, I typed up a whole response and decided it just isn't worth it.  You are welcome to not empathize with others because you think that they should have done more to protect themselves.  I am clearly not changing your mind, as you are just trying to yell at me and tell me im not listening.

Edited by Sir_Bee

Wow, what' the next comparison, nazis?

Godwin's Law!

post-17577-0-70648700-1447957093_thumb.png

Back on topic, sometimes my credit card is attached to my PSN account, and sometimes it is not. I do trust the security of my credit card company, as I have seen their caution in action. (Most recently: "Hello, we're calling about your credit card. It was just used to attempt a $500 purchase at a hardware and appliance store, and we have been seeing a lot of $0.99 purchases on eBay in the last week, so we put a temporary hold on your account." "Umm... Yeah, about that, all of those were me. Could you please lift the hold and I'll have the cashier swipe my card again? I really need this miter saw.")

That said, Sony is not always agreeable when trying to work through these sorts of things, and I am rather attached to this account. I have a lot of games on here, although they're mostly PS+ games from the last two years or so. Still, they're valuable to me.

So I take what cautions I deem reasonable - unique rotating password, only log into my own devices, its own motion sensor for my security system in case anyone moves it, and my credit card is only attached to the account about 8 days a year...

But I am not going to change my habits because of fear of bad apples. When I was being stalked a few years ago I changed where I parked, I notified my closest friends at work and at my apartment at the time, and I blocked all his phone numbers. I did not move my apartment or change my phone number because I was not going to let his bad behavior control my life. I weighed the risks and consequences and decided that I could live with that decision.