Why Should I Never Store My Credit Card Info On PSN?

damon8r351

I had my info stored a couple years ago, until I was hacked and some guy charged hundreds of dollars to my account to buy Fifa 14 and bunch of in-game shit (which is the only reason that stupid game is on my profile). I didn't have the same experience though. Sony refunded me within a few days without any trouble.

I've never attached a card or paypal account to my PSN account.  In the ultra-rare occasion that I wish to make a digital purchase (usually a 99 cent flash sale or something), I will buy a $10 PSN code from Amazon.  Considering you can buy $100 codes as well, you should never need to store credit card info on your PSN account.  Even if you've never had a problem, there's no reason not to take precautions.  It's like saying since you've never had a car accident there's no reason to ever wear a seatbelt.  But Forrest Gump's mama said it best... 'Stupid is as stupid does'.

Edited by Matto_lsi
  • Like 4

Although I don't have a credit card myself I use my parents card to do all my online shopping (even at 31 and not living at home I still get to use it :awesome:). For awhile I did have it on my PSN account but after so many hacks of the PSN I decided to get rid of it and just use PSN cards now just to be on the safe side.

Wow. lately I didn't take the time to read very long posts, but I read everything, and it feels like Sony has been dodging your questions left, right, and center, especially during your conversation with Warren.

I would have been pissed off because they should have told you in beginning whether or not the charges that have been made were either on the master account or the sub account.

Man even though I have nothing to do with any of what has happened, I feel pissed off with the whole customer service experience. I have worked at Wal-Mart (and still currently to do this day) for almost 7 years, so my main priority is dealing with customers on a daily basis.

I'm sorry that this has happened to you, and I really do hope that you can get this problem sorted out.

Wow. lately I didn't take the time to read very long posts, but I read everything, and it feels like Sony has been dodging your questions left, right, and center, especially during your conversation with Warren.

I would have been pissed off because they should have told you in beginning whether or not the charges that have been made were either on the master account or the sub account.

Man even though I have nothing to do with any of what has happened, I feel pissed off with the whole customer service experience. I have worked at Wal-Mart (and still currently to do this day) for almost 7 years, so my main priority is dealing with customers on a daily basis.

I'm sorry that this has happened to you, and I really do hope that you can get this problem sorted out.

It didn't happen to Damon. It happened to the OP of that reddit post

Bullshit, this can happen everywhere.

I never had any trouble and if you get accidently do get in trouble, Sony and your creditcard company will help you out.

You've got cybercrime everywhere, if you are scared then go ahead and do things the old fashioned way but it's a waste of your time 

• Like 1

Like some others, I've had my credit card attached to it since the beginning, I even put it back on there after the PSN hack (I switched banks around that time, so I dunno if my card got affected from the hack, lol). 

Ultimately, your credit card information can be taken at any time in any place, it's just the facts of modern times, so I really don't see it as a big deal to have my card info on PSN. The reddit story you linked to is pretty crazy, but at the same time, it's Sony so I can't say I'm extremely surprised they'd do random stuff like that, haha.

I remember a year ago I somehow managed to purchase a year subscription of PlayStation Plus twice (the first time it gave a store error and didn't appear to change anything, waited a few minutes and tried again and found out they charged me twice). I called them and told them about it and they said they would refund $50 to my Store account, which they did about 1 - 2 weeks later surprisingly. :P

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 1

I also refuse to keep my card info linked for this reason + I will never buy any game through the sony website. Just because they can still hack your account easier (I have a browser plug in that hides my keystrokes too) and change your password even if you have no money it...they still get all your digital games and platinums, etc.

I also find it ridiculously ignorant when people leave their site accounts signed in constantly or passwords autologged as that also makes it easier to get hacked.

• Like 1

My card is stored, I see no problem with that, not going to change.

Banks have 'intelligent software' that is triggered by certain activities which are not 'normal' for the specific owner of the card, so if for example I started to spend a lot of money quickly somewhere where I would not normally the bank would block this action, it has happened before and I support it entirely.

Sure, it's within people's prerogative to prioritize something totally as important as saving a couple seconds of time over taking a personal hand in your own info security. I'm sure you'll never get attacked by a tiger out here in this land inexplicably named Tiger Country. Personally, I don't care if you've done enough to protect yourself from identity theft. You should care.

Edited by damon8r351