The WWE Discussion Thread

fresquinho

You do remember the Attitude Era, right? Beaver Cleavage, Shockmaster, Doink, Naked Mideon, The Oddities, etc. That era may have had amazing superstars, but it also had some of the worst gimmicks ever. The modern era may have a few bad superstars, but it's nothing compared to the Attitude Era.

Don't get me wrong, Attitude Era was great. Those storylines are much better than modern ones. But there is no denying they had some stupid wrestlers in that era, much more than we have today.

If it was not for the Attitude Era then the WWE would never have put WCW out of business and would still be the 2nd tier of sports entertainment.

If it was not for the Attitude Era then the WWE would never have put WCW out of business and would still be the 2nd tier of sports entertainment.

And WWE owes a lot of its success from ECW, if it wasn't for ECW introducing a revolutionary style of programming then WWE would of never created the edgier programming they called the 'Attitude Era'.

And also the WWF wouldn't of been the 2nd tier in sport entertainment today they would be out of business.   

And WWE owes a lot of its success from ECW, if it wasn't for ECW introducing a revolutionary style of programming then WWE would of never created the edgier programming they called the 'Attitude Era'.

And also the WWF wouldn't of been the 2nd tier in sport entertainment today they would be out of business.

ECW did introduce the street style matches we all loved but the WWE/F took it to new extremes, Undertaker vs Mankind Hell in a Cell at King of the Ring 1998 comes to mind as a match that was never once equaled and never will be equaled, also the first ever 6 man Hell in a Cell at Armagedon was incredible, the TLC matches between the Hardyz, Dudley Boys and Edge and Christian. These matches were what pioneered pro wrestling to the heights it has never reached since.

Lets be realistic ECW was never even close to the WWF Attitude Era.

You do remember the Attitude Era, right? Beaver Cleavage, Shockmaster, Doink, Naked Mideon, The Oddities, etc. That era may have had amazing superstars, but it also had some of the worst gimmicks ever. The modern era may have a few bad superstars, but it's nothing compared to the Attitude Era.

Don't get me wrong, Attitude Era was great. Those storylines are much better than modern ones. But there is no denying they had some stupid wrestlers in that era, much more than we have today.

I personally love those Attitude Era trash wrestlers. Sure alot of them were horrible, but atleast they tryed experimenting with all kind of funny and stupid gimmicks. I always found that cool. Today we have people who just want to be on TV and hardly even look like men.

• Like 1

I personally love those Attitude Era trash wrestlers. Sure alot of them were horrible, but atleast they tryed experimenting with all kind of funny and stupid gimmicks. I always found that cool. Today we have people who just want to be on TV and hardly even look like men.

Yeah I totally agree I used to love all the crazy style gimmicks they made for stars back then, even if it was something as stupid as the feud involving Val Venis and Kai En Tai is still more entertaining than 90% of the stuff they produce now. 

The only stars they seem to have created with that crazy attitude era style are Dean Ambrose, Bray Wyatt and the Ascension :) 

I was never arguing the importance of the Attitude Era. I'm aware we wouldn't have WWE today if it wasn't for that era. I was just saying you can't really call today's stars "a proper joke" when you had way worse stuff back then.

Maybe I'm weird, but I'd rather see a solid wrestling match in my pro wrestling, as opposed to a stupid gimmick of a wrestling clown. I find guys like Cesaro, Rollins, Bryan, etc. more entertaining than Doink, Mideon Val Venis, or any of those guys.

• Like 2

I was never arguing the importance of the Attitude Era. I'm aware we wouldn't have WWE today if it wasn't for that era. I was just saying you can't really call today's stars "a proper joke" when you had way worse stuff back then.

Maybe I'm weird, but I'd rather see a solid wrestling match in my pro wrestling, as opposed to a stupid gimmick of a wrestling clown. I find guys like Cesaro, Rollins, Bryan, etc. more entertaining than Doink, Mideon Val Venis, or any of those guys.

Agreed.

So it like all the fans in the UK, Including me will have to wait even longer now for the WWE Network to finally be released over here. 

http://www.wwe.com/wwenetwork/uk-launch-delayed-26767676

I think I will just give up on the idea of waiting for this to be finally brought over to the UK :(

I forgot that was even coming to the uk. I maybe we should stick to youtube lol.

I grew up watching the Attitude Era, Mankind, The Rock, Stone Cold, Brothers of Destruction, Hardy Boyz, Dudleys, Big Boss Man etc and I watch it now I cant help but laugh at how far down the drain it has gone. These new superstars are a proper joke.

Attitude Era:

+ better main event scene

+ better long term planning

+ two once in a generation superstars 

+ IC belt and tag titles mattered

- midcard was pretty bad

- horrible gimmick after horrible gimmick

- in ring talent was a complete afterthought

- the line between "edgy" and "classless" got crossed a bit too often

Modern Era:

+ finding and bringing in the best wrestlers in the world

+ midcard is far more talented 

+ NXT

+ something for everyone instead of just 15-35 year old males

- stale main event scene

- sometimes afraid of their own shadow

- Vince 

- chaotic/unfocused booking

The pros and cons for both eras could obviously go on and on but it mostly boils down to in-ring vs. story telling.  The Attitude Era was dominated by entertaining story telling at the expense of the in ring product while today's company has better wrestlers stuck behind bad booking.  

As far as I remember Doink was long before the attitude era. You make a good point but it's kind of unfair to compare that era's worst to todays best.

Cesaro, Rollins & Bryan are great in ring, not too good on the promo, just like mid card guys from the late 90's the equivalent being Owen Hart, X-Pac & D' Lo who always had very entertaining matches, difference being they had some great talkers around them to get you invested in the story.

One massive problem I have whenever I attempt to watch is the commentary, King & Cole are awful to say the least. I thought 2000 WCW was bad, WWE are on another level at the moment.

• Like 1

As far as I remember Doink was long before the attitude era. You make a good point but it's kind of unfair to compare that era's worst to todays best.

Cesaro, Rollins & Bryan are great in ring, not too good on the promo, just like mid card guys from the late 90's the equivalent being Owen Hart, X-Pac & D' Lo who always had very entertaining matches, difference being they had some great talkers around them to get you invested in the story.

One massive problem I have whenever I attempt to watch is the commentary, King & Cole are awful to say the least. I thought 2000 WCW was bad, WWE are on another level at the moment.

I'll take today's Lawler over "PUPPIES!!-PUPPIES!!-PUPPIES!!!!" Lawler anytime.  Heel Cole was terrible bit I gained a ton of respect for him after watching him handle Jerry's on air heart attack during RAW.  JBL is really the only commentator that grinds my nerves right now just because his heel rants tend to push beyond suspension of disbelief too much too often.

Also, he's not comparing the worst of then to the best of now, it looks like he's comparing mid-card to mid-card, and today's product is (in my opinion) light years beyond the attitude era on that front while the attitude era had a far superior main event scene.

Edited by skidmarkgn

I'll take today's Lawler over "PUPPIES!!-PUPPIES!!-PUPPIES!!!!" Lawler anytime.  Heel Cole was terrible bit I gained a ton of respect for him after watching him handle Jerry's on air heart attack during RAW.  JBL is really the only commentator that grinds my nerves right now just because his heel rants tend to push beyond suspension of disbelief too much too often.

Also, he's not comparing the worst of then to the best of now, it looks like he's comparing mid-card to mid-card, and today's product is (in my opinion) light years beyond the attitude era on that front while the attitude era had a far superior main event scene.

I've enjoyed listening to each of them at certain points in time, but as a team I just find them lacking. No doubt Cole seems like a good pro, and does a great job at pushing a million things at once. Just a shame it all detracts from the matches in the ring. As for The King, I'll have to disagree. I can't imagine anyone genuinely finds him entertaining now. I thought he used to be a great heel commentator, really enjoyed his back and forth with JR and even Cole in the early SmackDown days.

I can see an argument for both sides in terms of the better mid carders. The guys in that spot at the moment are the best thing about todays WWE. Just a shame none of them are ever involved in anything meaningful (Although I am enjoying Rusev's climb up the ladder right now).

I've enjoyed listening to each of them at certain points in time, but as a team I just find them lacking. No doubt Cole seems like a good pro, and does a great job at pushing a million things at once. Just a shame it all detracts from the matches in the ring. As for The King, I'll have to disagree. I can't imagine anyone genuinely finds him entertaining now. I thought he used to be a great heel commentator, really enjoyed his back and forth with JR and even Cole in the early SmackDown days.

I can see an argument for both sides in terms of the better mid carders. The guys in that spot at the moment are the best thing about todays WWE. Just a shame none of them are ever involved in anything meaningful (Although I am enjoying Rusev's climb up the ladder right now).

I didn't say I find King entertaining right now, but he's far less obnoxious than the titty obsessed man-child (which, oddly enough, is closer to his real life persona) he portrayed back then.

By the way  :highfive:  for being on board with Rusev.  For some reason, not many are high up on him and his push which is baffling to me.

Speaking of Rusev, what do you guys think he'll do with the U.S title?

On one hand, he can keep it and gloat about being the champion of America. I can see them playing it up as, a Russian represents the U.S because no American is strong enough to do it. Then when he loses, the person who beats him can look like a great American, who finally stopped the Russian.

On the other hand, I can see him drop it for some other title, like a Russian belt. They can say he didn't want to hold America's ugly title, and now represents Russia with the gold. Then when he loses, the winner can throw that title away, and bring back the U.S. one.

• Like 1

Scenario 2 would be perfect.  Rusev and especially Lana could generate nuclear heat by disrespecting that title every chance they got.  Lana has become the new Vicki (who is much, MUCH easier on the eyes) with the heat she can generate and crapping all over the US title would make a feud over a 2nd tier belt be more meaningful than it's been in years.  Question is, who beats the Bulga... I mean Russian.

I also forgot to add one tidbit to the attitude vs. modern era debate.  Not too long ago the WWE migrated into attitude territory with the CM Punk/Undertaker feud.  The inclusion of Paul Bearer's death to the angle was met with people (this forum included) freaking out and condemning them for being tasteless, even though that was the closest to "attitude" they've been in the modern day.  As bad as everyone claims to want a return to the 90's they had a chance to prove it and almost everyone failed to put their money where their mouth is.

Edited by skidmarkgn
  • Like 2

During this upcoming week, it will be the 9th Anniversary of the passing of Eddie Guerrero(November 13, 2005).

I'm wondering if WWE is planning to @ least mention the anniversary this upcoming week(Cus I'm honestly expecting it...better yet do a "If you want to re-live some of The Late Great Eddie Guerrero's Matches? Then check it out on the WWE Network, where we will do a Remembering Eddie Special Tribute Airing this Thursday" line).

If that happens tomorrow on Raw, I will literally Stand up & Clap.

Edited by DarknessKey92

So, looks like I wasn't too far off with my Survivor Series team predictions.

Final teams are:

Team Cena

1. Cena

2. Ziggler

3. Big Show

4. Sheamus

5. Ryback

Team Authority:

1. Rollins

2. Kane

3. Mark Henry

4. Rusev

5. Luke Harper

I'm glad Harper is getting an opportunity to shine like this. It looks like he may be going after the IC Title too.

Rusev is an interesting pick. Either he's going to suffer his first pinfall/submission loss in the PPV, or team Authority will win. Of course, he can just walk out on them. Not for a face turn or anything, just because Stephanie was disrespecting Russia and Putin.

• Like 1

Speaking of Rusev, what do you guys think he'll do with the U.S title?

On one hand, he can keep it and gloat about being the champion of America. I can see them playing it up as, a Russian represents the U.S because no American is strong enough to do it. Then when he loses, the person who beats him can look like a great American, who finally stopped the Russian.

On the other hand, I can see him drop it for some other title, like a Russian belt. They can say he didn't want to hold America's ugly title, and now represents Russia with the gold. Then when he loses, the winner can throw that title away, and bring back the U.S. one.

It would be great if they threw the US title to the trash can and replaced it with the Russian title xD

• Like 2

LOL. So I thought I'd get in on WWE Network for November. I mean hey, Survivor Series for free, everything for free with no BS 6 month commitment? "Okay" I thought, "Let's give it a shot". Last night after Raw, I signed up, but it wasn't letting me in. I waited and waited for the confirmation email, nothing. So I went to bed, figuring it would all be taken care of and working by tomorrow. Big surprise, it wasn't.

So I just contacted WWE Network help line. They told me it wasn't working for me because I don't have a dollar on my credit card. "A dollar?" I asked. "Oh, so there's a hidden fee?" I said. Then the guy on the other line was like, "oh no no, no hidden fee. You get dollar back." I sort of laughed and said, "Yeah...that's a hidden fee. Even if I get my dollar back, it still isn't mentioned anywhere about a dollar." Right now, I have like 30 cents on my card. LOL. 

Yeah, thought I'd share that.

LOL. So I thought I'd get in on WWE Network for November. I mean hey, Survivor Series for free, everything for free with no BS 6 month commitment? "Okay" I thought, "Let's give it a shot". Last night after Raw, I signed up, but it wasn't letting me in. I waited and waited for the confirmation email, nothing. So I went to bed, figuring it would all be taken care of and working by tomorrow. Big surprise, it wasn't.

So I just contacted WWE Network help line. They told me it wasn't working for me because I don't have a dollar on my credit card. "A dollar?" I asked. "Oh, so there's a hidden fee?" I said. Then the guy on the other line was like, "oh no no, no hidden fee. You get dollar back." I sort of laughed and said, "Yeah...that's a hidden fee. Even if I get my dollar back, it still isn't mentioned anywhere about a dollar." Right now, I have like 30 cents on my card. LOL. 

Yeah, thought I'd share that.

Oh wow, that is some BS. But look at it this way, even if they don't give the dollar back, you just got a PPV and an entire month of content for $1. Not a bad deal.

• Like 1

Rusev is an interesting pick. Either he's going to suffer his first pinfall/submission loss in the PPV, or team Authority will win. Of course, he can just walk out on them. Not for a face turn or anything, just because Stephanie was disrespecting Russia and Putin.

I was thinking the same thing.  The way Steph talked to Rusev and Lana on RAW was a perfect set up for him to bail and cost them the match.  How they'd do it and keep their heat is a bit of a question though.

Oh wow, that is some BS. But look at it this way, even if they don't give the dollar back, you just got a PPV and an entire month of content for $1. Not a bad deal.

I know it's a good deal, but it says FREE. And while it IS technically free because you get your dollar back, my broke ass is over here rolling my eyes because I don't have a dollar to give them so they can give it back to me and in return can't get my goddamn 1st month free. Why do you need a dollar if you're just gonna give it back anyways? It's so stupid.

Edited by jackmadrox

I know it's a good deal, but it says FREE. And while it IS technically free because you get your dollar back, my broke ass is over here rolling my eyes because I don't have a dollar to give them so they can give it back to me and in return can't get my goddamn 1st month free. Why do you need a dollar if you're just gonna give it back anyways? It's so stupid.

Go take some change from a fountain and move on dude.