News: 35.9 MILLION PS4s in consumers' hands

StrickenBiged

Another month, and another triumphant press release from Sony, who are now boasting that there are 35.9 million PS4 consoles in consumer's hands. Not languishing in a warehouse or sat on store shelves - that's bought and paid for, under your TVs, in your homes, being used.

That's an incredible number, especially when you consider that Sony announced only recently - shortly after Black Friday - that there were 30.2 million consoles out there. So that's 5.7 million sold over Christmas 2015... wow. 

They also announced strong software sales during the Christmas period, with 35 million retail units of PS4 software sold between the last week of November 2015 and the beginning of January 2016. This averages out at just under one new game bought per PS4.

Sony also announced that PS+ subscriptions are up 60% compared to the same time last year. 

Andrew House, President and Global CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. was clearly very pleased, saying:

“We are absolutely delighted that so many customers have selected PS4 as the best place to play throughout this holiday season and that the PS4 community is growing more than ever. We remain steadfast in our commitment to deliver innovative entertainment experiences, and look forward to bringing an unprecedented games portfolio from third party developers and publishers and SCE Worldwide Studios, including UNCHARTED 4: A Thief’s End, New Hot Shots Golf (working title) and The Last Guardian, this coming year.”

One can only speculate where XBOne's sales numbers are as Microsoft has long since stopped reporting those, preferring to focus on "engagement metrics" when making their announcements. 

Edited by StrickenBiged

Definitely impressive. 

But on one hand expected. PS4 got a price cut, Christmas came and so on =D

Not to mention, PS4 has no competition from Xbone when it comes to multiplatform titles.

Sony's putting everything on PS4 is definitely big reason for this success but MS being crappy is probably even bigger one.

35.9 million PS4's in peoples hands and PSN is still a disaster.   :P​ 

36M people can now complain :awesome:

Edited by Satoshi Ookami
  • Like 1

6 million over Christmas? Thats almost how many Xbone has sold in total!

You're exaggerating, right?

The true picture is probably something more like XBOne has half of the sales PS4 has achieved, extrapolating from the last time XBOne announced its numbers (albeit they were "sold by Microsoft" - i.e. to retailers - not "sold through" numbers), but any attempt to quantify is going to involve a degree of guesswork.

Congrats, Sony. Getting that mula!

One can only speculate where XBOne's sales numbers are as Microsoft has long since stopped reporting those, preferring to focus on "engagement metrics" when making their announcements. 

Don't be doing this, Stricken. I thought you was neutral on this kind of stuff? Sure it would be wonderful for to know, but it ain't like Sony is telling us their Sony vue numbers or Sony PSnow numbers or even PS Vita sales throughout the holidays. I just hope for Sony that PS VR is a mild success because they don't need anymore things eating into their profits.

Edited by FlareXV

even PS Vita sales throughout the holidays. 

I believe Japan sales are sufficient for this?

You're exaggerating, right?

Well... he is, but not by much.

According to wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_million-selling_game_consoles

Xbone has over 10M, but >10M has been there for a while =D So that's most likely much less than 1/2 of PS4 and could even be 1/3.

PS + numbers are up because it's forced. If it wasn't mandatory you'd see a dramatic decline. It was total shit in 2015.

60% compared to last year. Last year also had mandatory PS+.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

I believe Japan sales are sufficient for this?

According to wiki

Xbone has over 10M, but >10M has been there for a while =D So that's most likely much less than 1/2 of PS4 and could even be 1/3.

60% compared to last year. Last year also had mandatory PS+.

Right, but they sold something like 10+ million units in 2015.

So the 60% increase wasn't because of the service improving dramatically.

On a whole it's actually declined a massive amount imo and if it wasn't mandatory I certainly woudn't resub.

Edited by rgeGeo

The funny thing is they keep bragging about how many people have Windows 10 installed (or had it installed).

Edited by Caesar Clown

Don't be doing this, Stricken. I thought you was neutral on this kind of stuff? Sure it would be wonderful for to know, but it ain't like Sony is telling us their Sony vue numbers or Sony PSnow numbers or even PS Vita sales throughout the holidays. I just hope for Sony that PS VR is a mild success because they don't need anymore things eating into their profits.

That was me being neutral. Did I say anything that wasn't factual in what you quoted? 

At least I've started capitalising the "O" in XBone... What more do these people want from me? ;0P

Ahem. Anyway, you're right. Companies tend not to brag when they don't have great numbers to brag about.

According to wiki

Yeah, I tend to be conservative in my estimates. The XBOne had a great October and a strong exclusive line-up this Autumn in general. I'd imagine they've made a few sales. Looking around a few sites, 15M-17M seems to be a reasonable estimate.

The funny thing is they keep bragging about how many people have Windows 10 installed (or had it installed).

Not wanting to stray too far off topic, but is W10 any good? I want to get away from W8, but have to keep that version running until the people that run my companies IT services can patch their system for W10.

35.9 million holy shit

Meanwhile at Xbox HQ

never-say-no-to-panda-o.gif

To be fair, Xbox One sales are outpacing 360 sales during this point last generation. I'm sure MS is still pretty satisfied. It's just that PS4 is just selling a buttload more (outpacing PS2 sales) which makes Xbox One sales seem bad, but in fact, the system is really doing just fine, just not PS4 sales good.

Not wanting to stray too far off topic, but is W10 any good? I want to get away from W8, but have to keep that version running until the people that run my companies IT services can patch their system for W10.

Windows 10 is amazing, I love it. Just disable all the spying shit and you're good to go.

To be fair, Xbox One sales are outpacing 360 sales during this point last generation. I'm sure MS is still pretty satisfied. It's just that PS4 is just selling a buttload more (outpacing PS2 sales) which makes Xbox One sales seem bad, but in fact, the system is really doing just fine, just not PS4 sales good.

Ninja I was having fun, now the president is involved

thanks_a_lot-25586.gif

Edited by Titanic Balls
  • Like 1

PS + numbers are up because it's forced. If it wasn't mandatory you'd see a dramatic decline. It was total shit in 2015.

Plus isn't forced and it certainly isn't mandatory. Two people I know bought launch PS4's and haven't bought Plus yet and once I explained to four of the women I work with how Plus works, they bought PS4's for their kids and specifically didn't buy Plus so the kids couldn't play online, which is what they were scared of not knowing how to monitor.

Don't project your requirements onto every other PS4 owner out there.

Plus isn't forced and it certainly isn't mandatory. Two people I know bought launch PS4's and haven't bought Plus yet and once I explained to four of the women I work with how Plus works, they bought PS4's for their kids and specifically didn't buy Plus so the kids couldn't play online, which is what they were scared of not knowing how to monitor.

Don't project your requirements onto every other PS4 owner out there.

I'm not. But you're honestly just being bloody silly if you think the vast majority of owners aren't going to want to play online.