PSN down - bank card hacked

chickenbaltipie

Might just be a coincidence, but my bank phoned me, my card was hacked with some suspicious activity.

Same card that was registered to my PSN account - a week after it got hacked/went down

Just a friendly warning to all, might be worth checking yours too

Are you sure the info was stolen from PSN and not from elsewhere? Amazon, Xbox Live, random shopping site etc...?

• Like 1

what? you go out and buy your psn cards? you know you just buy the digital codes on amazon right? it takes like 5 seconds....

Right, but to those who are wary about using their credit cards online, Amazon is no better an option.  You don't have to store it, even using it can have your info stolen.  So why waste time getting the code from Amazon, when you could just buy it directly on PSN.

Right, but to those who are wary about using their credit cards online, Amazon is no better an option.  You don't have to store it, even using it can have your info stolen.  So why waste time getting the code from Amazon, when you could just buy it directly on PSN.

Nah man I'm good, I'm never putting my card info on psn but good luck with that. 

That's one of the reasons I'm not into online stores. You never know if the information is secure. Of course, this doesn't mean that they got hacked or leaked the intel, but you're always suspicious.

Sometimes you don't have time to go out and buy PSN cards. You gotta play now damn it!

How the hell won't you have time to go out and buy a PSN card? It's not like the sales only last 5 minutes.

Nah man I'm good, I'm never putting my card info on psn but good luck with that. 

I think you missed the point of my post.  Putting your info on Amazon isn't any better ... Anywhere you use your info online, you are taking a risk.  I wasn't suggestion you put it on psn, I was saying it makes no difference, so why add a middle man?

what? you go out and buy your psn cards? you know you just buy the digital codes on amazon right? it takes like 5 seconds....

Might be an exception in the UK but as an example for a £25 top up the instant codes are £25 but the cards you get shipped out to scratch off are £23 so will always do that :P

Other than saving a few quid here and there I have no problem using Credit Card on PSN,Xbox or Steam.

If you use a credit card or debit card at all outside of going to an ATM to get some cash ever (I thought ATMs were secure, but they're not), you're at risk of getting your information stolen. Your information is very often uploaded online for verification purposes when you make purchases at places like Target, GameStop, or Walmart. There are so many people on the Internet who laugh stupidly when stuff like this happens and act like saving your information to Amazon, Steam, or the PlayStation Store is the only way for that information to be stolen. Just cancel your card, dispute any purchases you didn't make (you'll get your money back), and apply for a new card.

Edited by rusty1027

That's one of the reasons I'm not into online stores. You never know if the information is secure. Of course, this doesn't mean that they got hacked or leaked the intel, but you're always suspicious.

How the hell won't you have time to go out and buy a PSN card? It's not like the sales only last 5 minutes.

You guys are taking my post too seriously. =/ Maybe you just don't feel like it? Not everyone lives so close to stores.

Also some people don't have a problem using credit cards online, others do. If I'm at the store, then I'll pick some up. If not, then I'm just going to use it directly.

I think you missed the point of my post.  Putting your info on Amazon isn't any better ... Anywhere you use your info online, you are taking a risk.  I wasn't suggestion you put it on psn, I was saying it makes no difference, so why add a middle man?

I got what you meant. What I was saying is that I'm not trusting with my card info with psn period. I hear too many stories of people having their card number stolen and only being refunded $150. Yeah no thanks, at least with my bank I can dispute it and have all my money funded if a third party refuse to cooperate. . 

I got what you meant. What I was saying is that I'm not trusting with my card info with psn period. I hear too many stories of people having their card number stolen and only being refunded $150. Yeah no thanks, at least with my bank I can dispute it and have all my money funded if a third party refuse to cooperate. . 

All the power to you :).

If you use a credit card or debit card at all outside of going to an ATM to get some cash, you're at risk of getting your information stolen. Your information is very often uploaded online for verification purposes when you make purchases at places like Target, GameStop, or Walmart. There are so many people on the Internet who laugh stupidly when stuff like this happens and act like saving your information to Amazon, Steam, or the PlayStation Store is the only way for that information to be stolen. Just cancel your card, dispute any purchases you didn't make (you'll get your money back), and apply for a new card.

It is sad that this is the world we live in, but even using your card at an ATM, or buying something in a store can easily have your credit card info stolen, If you have ever used the card, you are at risk.  I am sure that even just by having the card you are at risk if the info gets stolen from the banks.  The world we live in is full of risk, and it is all about balancing out that risk with convenience, and how much of that risk you are willing to take on.

• Like 4

Nothing is totally secure these days, but Amazon seems a lot more secure. Plus, the way that Amazon freaks out and asks you to re-enter your CC details if you log on from somewhere strange and/or order something to a different address. PSN is just like "you know the password, so spend away dude!"

Which reminds me... make sure you have a complex password system guys n gal's. that's probably one of the most important things these days.

Before you be an asshole and laugh at someones misfortune, make sure you are actually laughing at them for the right thing.  This is very unlikely to have come from PSN.

And yes, I remember the other conversation, and yes, I still think you are an asshole for laughing at other people ...

Calling me an asshole is uncalled for. I'm not laughing so much at someone else's misfortune as I am laughing at the inexorable forward progress of time that continues to prove my point time and time again.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 2

If you use a credit card or debit card at all outside of going to an ATM to get some cash, you're at risk of getting your information stolen. Your information is very often uploaded online for verification purposes when you make purchases at places like Target, GameStop, or Walmart. There are so many people on the Internet who laugh stupidly when stuff like this happens and act like saving your information to Amazon, Steam, or the PlayStation Store is the only way for that information to be stolen. Just cancel your card, dispute any purchases you didn't make (you'll get your money back), and apply for a new card.

You can have your information stolen from an ATM.  

All the power to you :).

It is sad that this is the world we live in, but even using your card at an ATM, or buying something in a store can easily have your credit card info stolen, If you have ever used the card, you are at risk.  I am sure that even just by having the card you are at risk if the info gets stolen from the banks.  The world we live in is full of risk, and it is all about balancing out that risk with convenience, and how much of that risk you are willing to take on.

The card itself is technically a risk as someone could steal it off you or even electronically skim it without you knowing.

Personally, you guys aren't being paranoid enough.  The phone call was obviously a scammer trying to get his bank account information.  Duh.

• Like 2