PSN down - bank card hacked

chickenbaltipie

Oh boy, you sure told me, didn't ya? :P I'm not laughing so much at someone else's misfortune as I am laughing at the inexorable forward progress of time that continues to prove my point time and time again.

What point do you even have to prove? Everyone with a credit/debit card knows that storing your information online is one of the ways to get your information stolen. Why don't you do something useful and start spreading the news that your information is pretty much never safe? Someone can steal your credit card information just by standing next to you while your card is in your pocket. Unless you have nothing to steal, you're probably going to regret laughing and acting smug one day. You liked someone's post mocking others for their "it can't happen to me" attitudes yet you have such an attitude yourself.

• Like 2

I'm gonna go ahead and leave this link about security (specifically the part about credit card security) for people to check out:

http://www.trutv.com/shows/adam-ruins-everything/blog/adams-sources/adam-ruins-security.html

And if you want to watch the whole episode on security, here you go:

http://www.trutv.com/full-episodes/adam-ruins-everything/index.html

What about it? I'd rather not look at your threads. I guess you're trying to tell me that people in there may have incorrectly thought that their information is safe online?

Read it or don't, not my problem. I'm just pointing out I've said once before that saving your credit card data online as a matter of convenience and expediency is tantamount to shooting yourself in the foot. The Xmas flaw with Steam and people like the example in my own thread only serve to prove my point.

Read it or don't, not my problem. I'm just pointing out I've said once before that saving your credit card data online as a matter of convenience and expediency is tantamount to shooting yourself in the foot. The Xmas flaw with Steam and people like the example in my own thread only serve to prove my point.

But as I've said, just about everyone already knows this. There's no reason to be trying to prove this well-known fact for the nth time, especially here of all places. Why are you only talking about the dangers of storing information online when there's plenty of other dangers other posters brought up? You're going to fool people into thinking that that's the only way to have your information stolen.

Why are you only talking about the dangers of storing information online when there's plenty of other dangers other posters brought up? You're going to fool people into thinking that that's the only way to have your information stolen.

Because storing your information online is a deliberate act on your part that's completely optional and opens up a security hole that doesn't need to be open. That's something you can control and not give someone an opportunity to steal it. On the other hand, what you described is outside of your personal control. You can't get anywhere in the world without some sort of ID and a form of payment. Someone scanning your wallet is outside of your control, not every place accepts personal checks, and carrying a wad of cash in public is less secure than a credit card because once it's lost/stolen it's gone forever, whereas a credit card you can at least get fraudulent charges nulled. You have to control what you can and manage what you can't.

• Like 1

How can you be sure the "psn down" is related to your acc hacked? When hackers do DDoS, they usually get TONS of accounts, not only one.

It's coincidence for sure, no news of hacked accounts.

You should realise that a DDoS is completely different from a hack, and a DDoS will NEVER result in any account info being leaked.

This is why you take off your card before hackers say they are going to take the psn down. Yes it might just be a DDos attack but you never know with sony.

Unfortunately you're still not completely safe even if you do that. If you've ever used your credit card with Sony, you have to be on the lookout no matter what. Like all companies you've used your credit card with, your information is stored somewhere for their safekeeping, hopefully not in plain text.

I would have thought that as soon as you use your credit/debit card on PSN then that is it, it is stored forever on their servers, regardless of whether you keep the details saved on your account.

I am pretty sure that every purchase I have ever made online using my credit card, has all the my card details stored on that companies server just waiting to be accessed by a hacker.

If you get paranoid just get your bank to send you a new card.

I've seen 0 fraudulent activity relating to the latest PSN outage.

Bank's have Fraud Protection...

Stop spreading misinformation.

He was just warning people that it could have been connected with the outage. No need to act like a douche about it. Edited by Kubanga
  • Like 1

what? you go out and buy your psn cards? you know you just buy the digital codes on amazon right? it takes like 5 seconds....

And another reason so many stores are shutting down.

I prefer to buy stuff from a store as I am tired of driving down streets and seeing nothing but closed down buildings. It is all a trickle down effect. BUilding closes, people lose jobs, those people can't afford to buy things so that affects other stores etc etc etc.

No I can walk the couple of minutes to somewhere and pick up a card. I mean they sell them pretty much everywhere.

Edited by Dr_Mayus
  • Like 1

Is keeping PayPal a good idea rather than the CC?

That is a good question.  You are basically asking who is going to protect your credit card details the best.  PayPal or PSN.  Unfortunately the answer is you cannot rely on either of them.  All you can console yourself with (if you need consoling  :) ) is that both companies will be doing their best (cost effective) way to keep your details safe, unlike smaller/medium sized companies.

Remember to always give your bank a job to do.  Tell them you want to limit your credit cards to certain transactions e.t.c  If they don't offer that service then tell them you are switching bank, and then switch to someone who does.   And remember you can always ask your bank to send you a new card.

• Like 1