Fine Bros's road to 13 million live!

FlareXV

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Fine Bros deserve all this grief?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Do you think the counter is legit?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Do you think Fine Bros are in the right?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided
    • I don't care but as long as they get rid of all these reaction videos, I'll support them

You know when you peed off the you-tube audience when stuff like this appears. Scruffy JC is hosting a party where we watch a real time counter (I don't know if it's legit real) of Fine Bros's subscribers go down to 13 million subs or lower. There's also a real time comment box for you to enjoy in the fun as well.

If it's legit then I feel sorry for the Fine Bros a bit, but this is the internet, no really cares about anyone else but themselves (Not exclusive to all internet users just some). Destruction is more fun than creation or restoration. 

Here's the video:

For some of us who may think the counters are legit, Ric has found us a site that is a counter: http://socialblade.com/youtube/user/thefinebros

Credit goes to Ric for the link to the website counter. 

Edited by FlareXV
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure the counter is legit, I've checked other channels and the counts for those are very plausible.

I think this whole thing is blowing way out of proportion. I've heared all kind of things about them, about how they trademarked the word React, and how they flag or threaten anyone doing remotely the same stuff (even if they've done it way before they were a thing). I don't know what's true and what's not, and I really don't care enough to research it. I understand where everyone is coming from, I got the same vibe from the announcement video, and I'm not buying their so called explanation (damage control) video. It just didn't feel genuine.

Here's another page with live stats: http://socialblade.com/youtube/user/thefinebros.

I think they messed up, but still... as if 13 million subs is something to cry about. If the page I linked above is to be believed, they make about 26k a month. Losing a couple of million subs brings that back... what...? 3k-5k? That's still 20+k a month... Ofcourse I don't know their production costs, but something tells me they're doing alright...

• Like 2

I think they deserve all the grief they get simply because I enjoy watching the world burn.

Other than that, I couldn't care less if they became more popular from it or end up failures. I can't say I knew who they were before this whole copyright thing.

Me too, Kuuhaku. I just thought the PSNP family would like to discuss about this and how it may affect them. I can't say that I'll weep over this though. Maybe they will do a video reaction to the losing their subscribers. I just can't believe how one small move can potentially kill a business, just crazy. 

Don't know the people, do not care. No one deserves this kind of hate. Not even Trump or the people affected by his hate speech.

True, especially after they explained it to the community in detail. I guess by then the damage was done. 

I don't see why anyone should feel sorry for them. Even if they lose a few million subscribers, they'll still be among the most subscribed channels on Youtube. I doubt this is going to ruin them.

Plus, it was their own doing.

Of course and I agree. They knew it would be a massive gamble but I think they did the right thing by justify why they did it. Don't underestimate people on you-tube, a few million subscriber lost isn't enough for them. They want FB to lose all of them. 

I'm pretty sure the counter is legit, I've checked other channels and the counts for those are very plausible.

I think this whole thing is blowing way out of proportion. I've heared all kind of things about them, about how they trademarked the word React, and how they flag or threaten anyone doing remotely the same stuff (even if they've done it way before they were a thing). I don't know what's true and what's not, and I really don't care enough to research it. I understand where everyone is coming from, I got the same vibe from the announcement video, and I'm not buying their so called explanation (damage control) video. It just didn't feel genuine.

Here's another page with live stats: http://socialblade.com/youtube/user/thefinebros.

I think they messed up, but still... as if 13 million subs is something to cry about. If the page I linked above is to be believed, they make about 26k a month. Losing a couple of million subs brings that back... what...? 3k-5k? That's still 20+k a month... Ofcourse I don't know their production costs, but something tells me they're doing alright...

Thanks, Ric. I will add it to the OP. 

I find it hard to believe that they can trademark the word "react" (was there just a call to the DOJ when I typed that?). Maybe the brand? I literally just heard about this today, and it seems like a lot of people have a lot of time on their hands to get up in arms over it.

But whatever. I mean, over time, they would have lost the money anyway - people lose interest pretty quickly in things. Better now than later? If it makes more people happy, the principle of utilitarianism is satisfied, and so am I.

Meh.

And by "Meh", I mean, "Who, or what, in blue hell is a 'FineBros'"?

And by that, I don't mean I actually want an answer. I'm just telling you how this thing fits in to my general milieu.

Is it okay if I destroy your general milieu or will you send me to the naughty corner? :P

Weren't they at like 7 million subs just yesterday? Geez, they're really losing devoted fans quickly.

Whether they deserved this or not, i don't care. People can go and unsub as much as they want, their channel is still very successful and won't stop because of this incident.

Only thing they can do is learn from their mistakes and not pull this sort of shit again.

I bet most people are unsubscribing just because they heard them trademark something. Im actually pretty sure they are just trademarking their own series names and not react as a whole, but the Internet likes to blow things out of proportion so whatever.

• Like 1

Me too, Kuuhaku. I just thought the PSNP family would like to discuss about this and how it may affect them. I can't say that I'll weep over this though. Maybe they will do a video reaction to the losing their subscribers. I just can't believe how one small move can potentially kill a business, just crazy.  

I doubt it will completely kill it, but it'll definitely damage their name. I imagine it's gonna be similar to what happened with Microsoft when they announced all the DRM stuff. People will be pissed for a while and then they'll make a PR move to clear it up. Some people might hold a grudge against them, but the majority won't care after a few months.

• Like 1

Their biggest mistake was announcing that they're attempting to trademark the word "React" before the application had become final. 

I'm undecided as to whether it's a good or a bad thing. On the one hand, they make popular videos - not to my taste, just saying - and they have a right to protect their "brand" and style. I see some merit to their argument that what they're doing is no different from protecting something like a gameshow - you can produce your own gameshow but, if it is identical to an existing gameshow e.g. Wheel of Fortune, you can expect trouble. 

They say that they wont be using the trademark to stop other people from making "reaction format" content, but its still unclear whether they'd be able to or would try and prevent other people from using the work "React" in the branding, title or styling of any competing video at all, or would only raise an objection if someone ripped off the format wholesale. They've already objected to Ellen Degeneris (can't be assed to check the spelling there) producing a similar skit on her talkshow.

You'd have to check the trademark application to see when exactly they are seeking to protect - something that I haven't done - in order to form a concluded view. Hence my indecision for the moment. 

You see, what I got from the whole thing when I first saw the initial video was that they were going to trademark their specific React series, not the word "react" or react videos in general. Honestly, I think people think the latter and are completely panicking about the whole thing. You look at the recent Teens React video, and it's great. Problem is, because of the huge misunderstanding, the video has a shit ton of undeserved dislikes.

While I do agree that this will harm their reputation, I'm certain that it's not RIP for Fine Bros Entertainment. I'll still stay subscribed to their videos and watch them. (AKA, I don't give a flying shit) 

Well, it's all over now

A message from the Fine Brothers

Hello,

We’re here to apologize.

We realize we built a system that could easily be used for wrong. We are fixing that. The reality that trademarks like these could be used to theoretically give companies (including ours) the power to police and control online video is a valid concern, and though we can assert our intentions are pure, there’s no way to prove them.

We have decided to do the following:

1. Rescind all of our “React” trademarks and applications.*

2. Discontinue the React World program.

3. Release all past Content ID claims.**

The concerns people have about React World are understandable, and that people see a link between that and our past video takedowns, but those were mistakes from an earlier time. It makes perfect sense for people to distrust our motives here, but we are confident that our actions will speak louder than these words moving forward.

This has been a hard week. Our plan is to keep making great content with the help of our amazing staff. Thank you for your time and for hearing us out.

Sincerely,

Benny and Rafi Fine

*This includes “React,” “Kids React,” “Elders React,” “Lyric Breakdown,” etc. Please note: It takes a while for the databases to update, but the necessary paperwork has been filed.

**Content ID is YouTube’s copyright system that automatically flags content that looks like or sounds like copyrighted content. This mostly flags videos that are direct re-uploads of our videos (which is what the system is built for), but if you know of a video that has been claimed or removed incorrectly, please email us with “false claim” in the subject line.

To be honest, they deserve it.  I've been reading up on them a bit and the hate seems well placed.

Here is a link to a post on Reddit that summarizes what is going on.

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/43bqa1/lets_not_just_yell_about_the_react_trademark_lets/czh3w9f

Also, I don't think the hate train is going away anytime soon.  All of their most recent videos are getting down voted to hell with the older videos following.  The only way I can see them defusing the situation is by turning off comments and votes, but that in itself is a horrible PR issue as well.