Let's finish Persona 4 Golden.

I wanted to rub it in your face, but I left fire-resistant armor at home. Anyway, you wouldn't hurt a sweet, cute little cat, right?

So mean depressed2-onion-head-emoticon.gif?12928 . *Sigh* I just can't bring myself to hurt cats, especially when they look at me like this:

243CD9EC00000578-0-image-a-85_1419346133

That's what you get for having small hands :awesome:

Huh, what are you talking about :huh:?

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 1

How do I start fishing? I've been to the spot, but I must need a rod or something. I haven't been able to find the item I need anywhere...

You need to catch specific bug... iirc it was Tatsuhime or something.

Tatsuhime Ladybug I think. Then go to Shiroku at night to get the fishing hook and talk to the old man by the river to get the fishing rod.

• Like 1

You need to catch specific bug... iirc it was Tatsuhime or something.

Ok, next question, how to I catch bugs?

Tatsuhime Ladybug I think. Then go to Shiroku at night to get the fishing hook and talk to the old man by the river to get the fishing rod.

Ok, thanks. I'll check there later. 

Ok, next question, how to I catch bugs?

Ok, thanks. I'll check there later. 

Go to the shrine. Talk to the boy that lost his net and then return to the shrine at night. Then talk to this lady and she'll give you the net:

91-ab2B9v8l.jpg

You can also get some bugs from the boy by trading him items.

• Like 1

Got the plat!  Took me 300+ hours but I finally got it.  Could've got it 200 hours ago but not having the plat gave me an excuse to keep playing.

Persona 4 Golden plat as your 10,000th trophy and 111th platinum!? That's awesome! Congrats on the plat!  :D

Seeing all of you guys ripping through this game makes me feel regretful that I am not trying to knock out Rise(not like that, I mean the HRF trophy) but right now I am busy with my Summer Backlog Challenge. Once I get to my monthly goal, I might turn on the Vita and try to farm some lines. :)

So I just finished my first playthrough of the game. I have thoughts.

I don't know how many of you here played the original PS2 Persona 4, but I did. Actually, it was the game that made me get into Persona and also get my hands on P3 FES, Golden, PQ, P4AU, P4DAN and even the Vita itself, just to play Golden and DAN. So you can clearly see how thoroughly impressed I was with it.

Having now finished Golden... I'm surprisingly a bit disappointed. Not that the game was bad, mind you, far from it, I just thought it seemed less cohesive than the original.

For example, the voices. With some of the actors, you can clearly tell which lines were copied from the original and which ones were newly recorded. Probably due to the fact that either the dub director was different or that 4 years have passed since the original was recorded and the actors weren't quite able to match their original performances (or both). I noticed it a lot with Yosuke and Kanji. Yuri Lowenthal sounded way more "pumped up" in some of his newly recorded in-battle lines (the rest was pretty much on par), while Troy Baker, on the other hand, sounded a lot less pumped up on his new lines. Almost unmotivated, even. Though the worst offender is by far J. B. Blanc, Namatame's voice actor, who almost seemed like an entirely different person. In December, some of the new lines are placed in-between some of the original lines and the difference is pretty jarring. It's mostly the dub director's fault for not trying to make everything as coherent as possible, but still.

(Also, I wished they could have taken the time to re-record that terribly acted Naoto line: "Our moment has arrived! Let's go!").

Some of the changes to the battle system were also uncalled for, in my opinion. For example, the "fusion" attacks (I'd rather just call them "co-op"). I know the game's supposed to be a lot more positive and "feel good" than P3, but all those "let's unite our powers, make special poses and defeat our enemies" are just a bit too "Power Rangers-y" for the game, in my opinion. I don't quite like the Rise moral support on all-out attacks, either - not only does it make all-out attacks take more time to perform, they end with a cutesy-pink... smoke of death and destruction... full of hearts? It just feels really out of place. Not to mention, on the original P4, whenever you saw a skull-shaped smoke after an all-out attack, you could be sure you had just eradicated all of your enemies. But with Rise, you get the cutesy-pink skull-shaped smoke whether you just eliminated all your enemies or not. The cavalry attacks were also unneeded, in my opinion. I mean, they already got into trouble for trying to get into Junes with fake weapons, how could they possibly get in there with scooters unnoticed?! I just feel the original tried really hard to make everything fit well together story-wise and Golden kinda ruined that cohesion a little bit.

Then, there's Marie. Not that she's a bad character (I actually think she's pretty interesting), but everything about her and her storyline feels shoehorned into a story that already worked well from the get-go. Her dungeon is the epitome of that: you're stripped of all of your equipment and expendables and have to use weapons and items that you can only use on that dungeon. The fact that many of the shadows are weak to a lot of elements, unlike what you see in the other dungeons, and that you lose half of your SP after each battle only makes it clearer that that dungeon does not fit in with the rest of the game. Even Marie's very presence in the Velvet Room seems shoehorned in. Her informal clothing style really contrasts Igor's, Margaret's and even Elizabeth's from P3. I could have also said that the Velvet Room never had more than one assistant... but since P5 is going to have two, that argument kinda goes out the window (though the twins really complement each other a lot more than Margaret and Marie, which look a lot more like a rag-tag pair).

(Satoshi's gonna murder me over that last paragraph :awesome: )

I also wasn't very fond of the character redesigns in the epilogue - but that's mostly because it's the only time they appear like that and never in any of P4's sequels, not a problem with the new designs themselves (though the fact that Yosuke now looked like a girl irked me a lot). Just a matter of coherence.

There were some things I thoroughly enjoyed, though. Skill cards, selective skill inheritance, the higher quality environments and the ability to sort skills, replay any line and skip cutscenes forward are all insanely helpful features. There were some other additions and changes that I also enjoyed, like the added story events and features, and some that I still don't know how I feel about, like Rise's insane increase in helpfulness, but I'm going to cut an already long post short.

Since I have both the PS2 and the Vita versions and they each have their advantages, I'm going to mull it over a little bit to decide which version I'm going to pick when I revisit P4 just for fun.

Well, it was a long playthrough, so I'm going to spice it up a little bit with a light-hearted Lego game and then come back for the second round (though I'm probably going to have to make a third if I want to get all skill cards).

P.S: On the TV Listings, when you go to watch recordings of Persona music concerts, there are two images laid side by side, with four people. One is obviously the P4 protagonist, one is the P3 male protagonist and one is the P3 female protagonist. Can anyone tell me who is the fourth character displayed? The P2 protagonist? Because they don't really look alike...

SuooyFy.jpg

Edited by jrdemr
  • Like 1

Then, there's Marie. Not that she's a bad character (I actually think she's pretty interesting), but everything about her and her storyline feel shoehorned into a story that already worked well from the get-go. Her dungeon is the epitome of that: you're stripped of all of your equipment and expendables and have to use weapons and items that you can only use on that dungeon. The fact that many of the shadows are weak to a lot of elements, unlike what you see in the other dungeons, and that you lose half of your SP after each battle only makes it clearer that that dungeon does not fit in with the rest of the game. Even Marie's very presence in the Velvet Room seems shoehorned in. Her informal clothing style really contrasts Igor's, Margaret's and even Elizabeth's from P3. I could have also said that the Velvet Room never had more than one assistant... but since P5 is going to have two, that argument kinda goes out the window (though the twins really complement each other a lot more than Margaret and Marie, which look a lot more like a rag-tag pair).

(Satoshi's gonna murder me over that last paragraph :awesome: )

Bad, wrong, everything wrong :awesome:

Nah, but seriously, the only reason why they added Marie is fanservice.

That's why she's the sexiest character, she's tsundere, she's god and... she's voiced by Hanazawa Kana.

They had to add something that would raise the sales and... megami-sama is the biggest seller =D

P.S: On the TV Listings, when you go to watch recordings of Persona music concerts, there are two images laid side by side, with four people. One is obviously the P4 protagonist, one is the P3 male protagonist and one is the P3 female protagonist. Can anyone tell me who is the fourth character displayed? The P2 protagonist? Because they don't really look alike...

SuooyFy.jpg

Trinity Souls protagonist maybe?

• Like 1

Bad, wrong, everything wrong :awesome:

Nah, but seriously, the only reason why they added Marie is fanservice.

That's why she's the sexiest character, she's tsundere, she's god and... she's voiced by Hanazawa Kana.

They had to add something that would raise the sales and... megami-sama is the biggest seller =D

Perhaps. Still, apart from the fact that she's in the Velvet Room contrasting with Igor and Margaret, I can pretty much just ignore her and won't even have to complete her dungeon if I do. Which is a shame, considering she's not actually a bad character. I just wish they hadn't tried shoehorning her into the plot. She would have worked just fine as a regular social link, with no relevance to the main story. Also kinda sad we don't have the JP track to listen to her original VA. Hanazawa Kana has an instantly recognizable, extremely pleasant voice and it's kind of a shame not being able to listen to her (it's kind of a shame not being able to listen to the entire JP track, for that matter, but that's an issue for another time). Oh well, at least I can still check her out in P4GA.

Trinity Souls protagonist maybe?

Ding ding ding.

Thanks, never would have guessed it.

Wow...

So got to the top of Rise's dungeon last night. Rise kicked my ass a few times. Finally got her down a bit, and now I've got to fight some absurdly OP bear who just fucking one-shots my entire team the whole time. 

Can someone please tell me his weakness? I've tried all the elements (my party is Kanji - lightning, Yosuke - wind, Yukiko - fire, I am rocking a ice persona). Nothing seems to hurt him, really, and he seems to be able to block all my available debuffs... 

Also kinda sad we don't have the JP track to listen to her original VA. Hanazawa Kana has an instantly recognizable, extremely pleasant voice and it's kind of a shame not being able to listen to her (it's kind of a shame not being able to listen to the entire JP track, for that matter, but that's an issue for another time). 

At least there were Japanese voice tracks on the YT :awesome:

Best way how to play, muting voices and YT video running :awesome:

Oh well, at least I can still check her out in P4GA.

You definitely should! :D P4GA is better than the whole P4G as Marie is ever present :awesome:

Ding ding ding.

Thanks, never would have guessed it.

Well, Atlus is trying to hide that something like P1 and P2 ever existed, the only possibility =D

Can someone please tell me his weakness? I've tried all the elements (my party is Kanji - lightning, Yosuke - wind, Yukiko - fire, I am rocking a ice persona). Nothing seems to hurt him, really, and he seems to be able to block all my available debuffs... 

No weakness and debuff blocking =D

This is a brute force fight that comes down to blocking Nihil Hand and using OP attacks.

This is about buffing yourself rather than debuffing Kuma.

• Like 2

Wow...

So got to the top of Rise's dungeon last night. Rise kicked my ass a few times. Finally got her down a bit, and now I've got to fight some absurdly OP bear who just fucking one-shots my entire team the whole time. 

Physical attacks work best here, but you'll have to use healing spells almost constantly. Remember to guard before Nihil Hand hits and keep your buffs up.

The cavalry attacks were also unneeded, in my opinion. I mean, they already got into trouble for trying to get into Junes with fake weapons, how could they possibly get in there with scooters unnoticed?! I just feel the original tried really hard to make everything fit well together story-wise and Golden kinda ruined that cohesion a little bit.

Agreed, they should have definitely left those out in my opinion.

I also wasn't very fond of the character redesigns in the epilogue - but that's mostly because it's the only time they appear like that and never in any of P4's sequels, not a problem with the new designs themselves (though the fact that Yosuke now looked like a girl irked me a lot). Just a matter of coherence.

I didn't really like those changes either. Especially Kanji and Yosuke went unnecessary changes that I didn't like.

I agree with these two points but the other things you mentioned didn't really bother me and I did actually think Marie's story added some value to the game. 

• Like 1