ND apologizes for using AC artwork and fixes U4 trailer

FlareXV

Well..

Here's a quote from the article:

Naughty Dog's new Uncharted 4 trailer includes what looks like artwork from Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag.

The image was spotted by Ubisoft Montreal employee Azaïzia Aymar, who works as Assassin's Creed's head of content. So you'd think he would know what he was talking about.

"I get the 'thief' title now!" Aymar wrote.

Take a look at the painting in today's Uncharted 4 trailer, hanging on hero Nathan Drake's wall at the 1:37 mark.

Here's the proof (apparently): 

it-looks-like-naughty-dog-used-assassins

Assassin's Creed 4:

14563305621.jpg

Uncharted:

source:http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-02-24-it-looks-like-naughty-dog-used-assassins-creed-artwork-in-the-new-uncharted-4-trailer

EDIT: Thanks to damon8r351 for the picture assistance. 

Edited by FlareXV

What, so only one artist is allowed to come up with a sea arch now?

The two sea arches depicted are clearly very different. This is bollocks.

Edit: Oh, wait... if you go and look at the ones embedded in the actual article, they do look very similar... my bad. I thought we were just looking at the gif.

Edited by StrickenBiged

Assassin's Creed:

14563305621.jpg

Uncharted:

There's no "coincidence" or "apparently" about it, that's straight plagiarized.

Plagiarism or homage?

I mean it could be considered a minor Easter Egg. It's not like it is a core game play element. It's a small background picture.

I guess Ubisoft now own copyright on seaside rocks. 

^hahaha, nice one.

The picture isn't even THAT relevant, it can also be considered an easter egg more than a copyright issue. Starting to call ND a thief just for a small and slightly different picture on a frame speaks more of being paranoic and wanting to get money via demands than anything else imo.

At the worst case scenario, it shouldn't be a huge deal to fix :dunno:

• Like 4

I guess Ubisoft now own copyright on seaside rocks.  

"The 1911 Act provides that an individual's work is automatically under copyright, by operation of law, as soon as it leaves his/her mind and is embodied in some physical form: be it a novel, a painting, a musical work written in manuscript, or an architectural schematic. This remains the legal position under the Schedules of 1956 Act and of the 1988 Act."

Ubisoft has copyright over that image, I think. I may be misunderstanding the law though.

I think it's amusing that people are so excited for Uncharted 4 that they're willing to spin obvious unauthorized use of an artist's work without permission or fair payment as "no big deal". This isn't "homage", it's the exact artwork, only with the figure edited out, the image slightly recolored and it's configured at a lower resolution. It's not that they're using the same view of a geological feature that happens to be in the same angle, because why do patterns in the water happen to be the same? I would think that as much as people here play video games and gripe about minor graphic glitches, they'd have a little bit more attention to detail. It's like that game from your preschool coloring books where you pick out the differences in two images, only this time you pick out the similarities. Let me give you a clue: Everything is the same except the color palette and the resolution, and the character shopped out. And this sort of thing has already been proven to be in Naughty Dog's wheelhouse after Ellen Page told them to cut the shit when the initial design of Ellie was revealed. It doesn't matter if it's in the background and seen for a second, because it's still unauthorized use of an artist's work without permission for the purpose of (eventually) generating profit for yourself, and that's illegal everywhere.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 4

http://www.naughtydog.com/site/post/an_update_on_the_uncharted_4_a_thiefs_end_story_trailer/

In our eagerness to get the story trailer out we made a regrettable mistake and didn’t thoroughly vet the art work used for an in game painting.We’ve already updated the trailer. We hold all artistry in high regard and take full responsibility for having allowed this to happen.

We want to sincerely apologize to everyone at Ubisoft, the Assassin’s Creed team, the original artist, and our fans.

Naughty Dog

Updated trailer:

• Like 2

naughty dog has recognized it, made a statement, put up a new trailer, and apologized to ubisoft (via kotaku). 

"In our eagerness to get the story trailer out we made a regrettable mistake and didn’t thoroughly vet the art work used for an in game painting. We’ve already updated the trailer. We hold all artistry in high regard and take full responsibility for having allowed this to happen.

We want to sincerely apologize to everyone at Ubisoft, the Assassin’s Creed team, the original artist, and our fans."

edit: :ninja: 'd 

Edited by slash