Uncharted 4's Title Screen

Jak

Is anyone else and/or has anyone else been disappointed in the execution of it? Personally, for me, I expected something much better. I expected ND to something similar to Naruto Storm 4's, Just Cause 3's, Dying Light's, basically now-gen games (standards) and etc kind of title screen, whom all share the same category with the main character, back first, being shown looking onto the horizon/background of the game's world. Sure ND tend to be slightly unique from other developers and in some areas do a superior job to developers but they didn't really do that this time with U4. It's not some over the top or slightly better version of Nathan looking into the horizon. 

Now before I list a link of some of the examples, since memory for many tends to for some odd reason fail terribly in comparison to seeing it side by side recently, if U4's title screen hints or references the ending of the game or Nathan's fate, DO NOT compliment that. A lot of us haven't beaten the game, so it would be awesome if y'all didn't spoil.

Naruto Storm 4's title screen(Thumbnail resolution is misleading btw)-

0:21 - 0:40

Just Cause 3's title screen - 

0:11 - end

Dying Light (Definitely one of the better ones in general. The character model's animations are very prominent, the background changes depending which of the 3 main hub areas you last saved at, and the model's clothes change to match which outfit you have your character wearing. All with a badass menu theme playing and other over-worldly things going on like the breeze which also affects the flags and trees and smoke.)

0:01 - end

Uncharted 4's title screen-

0:23 - end

So ND are essentially using lower quality, dynamic theme level designs, which is the same as TLOU's title screen (essentially just a lower quality scenery theme) for their now gen title screens, which is pretty underwhelming, especially when you have numerous now gen games going the next level. For what they made by itself, it's awesome (animation wise), but standard and comparison wise, it's underwhelming. It's not like ND gave us a opening cinematic this time, so this lower level, dynamic theme level title screen is no excuse.

Don't even get me started on the music decision. Not only did they doubly make the title screen similar to TLOU (gentle and mellow theme), as if U4 didn't take enough from TLOU (then again, look at how similar Uncharted is to Jak and Daxter:

Mar/Drake, Mar's Pendant/Drake's Ring and both being plot progressive items, third game cover arts, third game's main or more focused on environment setting, character development/more personal backstory in third game, third games both being about villians from the unknown-past and who were always keeping an eye on Nate/Jak, Jet-ski segments/A-grav zoomer segments in their first games, both characters are suppose to be descendants of the greatest hero before them whom both also pertain to the story, backstory, and storytelling of both franchises, etc

) but the music doesn't fit nor do a good job at building the adventurous and thrilling hype/momentum aspects of the UC series. This isn't a new IP, this is a sequel. We should have rightfully had the Nate Theme 4.0 playing in the background, especially if the skeleton there is actually him (again do not confirm or clarify on this people. Yes saying it's not Nathan either would be spoiling). The music choice worked for TLOU because of not only the pacing of the game but also because it was a mostly less populated and post-pandemic/apocalypses world with nowhere near as much action as the Uncharted series (and other games like COD and so fourth). And the similar music direction that the Naruto Storm games have; it works there because the series has always used that kind of music.

Others (Now-Gen title screens):

- inFAMOUS First Light (similar to Dying Light.. haha.. the title screen actually has variant openings, but going in-depth here would be a spoiler, and of course the amazing music.)

- Until Dawn (also has variants)

Well, you could say that's always been the sort of style Naughty Dog's always approached the main menu screens for the Uncharted series. The only thing that bums me out about it is that it lacks a "Nate's Theme 4.0" when you load it up, but they easily make up for this main menu with the inked style of the opening credits where they play the Uncharted theme there at least.

• Like 1

I don't even like Uncharted, and I think this is silly. It's a title screen. Load up the game, go to screen, hit continue, and that's that. Games could all have pure black title screens and it wouldn't matter. You're not going to spend an hour on it.

• Like 3

To all the people here who think this is a non-issue, for the majority of people it is.

However, I can always appreciate a nice title screen. First impressions are everything, and the title screen is the very first thing you will see (unless there's an intro cutscene like Sonic Unleashed).

I remember when, as a kid, I would always take time to explore the menus (whether it be a DVD or a video game) before actually watching/playing the movie/game. Now I only do that when there is actually stuff to explore (i.e the mental evaluation of Alice in Alice: Madness Returns), which many games these days lack.

I, personally, don't really see an issue with the UC4 title screen (it's better than Uncharted 1's at the very least, imo. I don't remember the second game title screen, but 1 was incredibly generic).

• Like 1

that moment when a game is doing so good and being so popular that someone else has to find the most insignificant, farfetched negative thing to criticize it about something.

Tell me about it LOL

Yeah the title screen definitely ruined this game for me. That's all I care about games and ND ruined it.

Nice sarcasm.

I don't give a shit, like, at all. Uncharted 4 was a masterpiece and if you're going to criticize anything the loading screen isn't one.

Personally I think Fallout 4 has a fantastic title screen.  I absolutely love the music and the way the camera pans around your workshop with the power armour, etc.  Agreed that Uncharted 4's title screen is lacking, in fact its the first thing I thought when I saw it.  Still, its a fantastic game.

To all the people here who think this is a non-issue, for the majority of people it is.

However, I can always appreciate a nice title screen. First impressions are everything, and the title screen is the very first thing you will see (unless there's an intro cutscene like Sonic Unleashed).

I remember when, as a kid, I would always take time to explore the menus (whether it be a DVD or a video game) before actually watching/playing the movie/game. Now I only do that when there is actually stuff to explore (i.e the mental evaluation of Alice in Alice: Madness Returns), which many games these days lack.

I, personally, don't really see an issue with the UC4 title screen (it's better than Uncharted 1's at the very least, imo. I don't remember the second game title screen, but 1 was incredibly generic).

Uncharted 2 had the statue in the Kathmandu temple that Drake and Chloe explore as the title screen.

On topic - Mar, I respect your opinions, but this is such a trivial thing to complain about. I will admit that I was slightly bummed to not hear Drake's theme but the more I played, the more I appreciated the way they did the title. The silence and tone of the screen, coupled with the slight sway of the skeleton reinforces the knowledge that this is it. This is the end. There can't be a happy theme for this game - too much is at stake here, and that would take away from the impact that Naughty Dog was clearly aiming for.

But that's just my opinion.

• Like 3

:lol:  :lol:

However, I somewhat agree. 

It fits the tone of the game -dark and gritty ya'll coz this time its serious, cough we want this to be the Last of us cough, which I was not keen on for a uncharted game.

But still..its a small thing to complain about when there are bigger issues in the game..imo:) I do completely get what Mar is saying though. Its a tough time to be a gamer

Edited by VitalFury

It had a more sombre feel to it than the old ones but I guess that was due to the music being missing and the general theme of the game. They have never been scenes of Drake looking over a Vista so thematically it fits with the rest of the series.

that moment when a game is doing so good and being so popular that someone else has to find the most insignificant, farfetched negative thing to criticize it about something.

That moment when you fail to realize the perspective of someone's thread, and when you're not capable of being rational enough to accept people's opinions on game's weaker areas (which you and others obviously don't even find so much as relevant), no matter what it actually is. This isn't a thread about bashing U4, it's just me pointing out one of the weaker areas that's a bit weird. The overall game is still great and im not trying to use the title screen as a negative point to lower the game's rating. Obviously, someone like me would just expect more from ND and this series in particular.

Im not metacritic and this isn't even remotely a thread of what I feel about the game. I play this game almost everyday, and overtime, I just could not help but notice how underwhelming the title screen is when I load up the game everyday, since I've played other now gen game and saw great title screens, so obviously I would expect the same from one of the top developers.

That moment when you fail to realize the perspective of someone's thread, and when you're not capable of being rational enough to accept people's opinions on game's weaker areas (which you and others obviously don't even find so much as relevant), no matter what it actually is. This isn't a thread about bashing U4, it's just me pointing out one of the weaker areas that's a bit weird. The overall game is still great and im not trying to use the title screen as a negative point to lower the game's rating. Obviously, someone like me would just expect more from ND and this series in particular.

Im not metacritic and this isn't even remotely a thread of what I feel about the game. I play this game almost everyday, and overtime, I just could not help but notice how underwhelming the title screen is when I load up the game everyday, since I've played other now gen game and saw great title screens, so obviously I would expect the same from one of the top developers.

i never had so many likes here xD i actually appreciate the time you took to create this thread, at least it wasn't made by some pathetic xbox or pc fanboy who would have tried even harder to shit on the game because they can't find any single exclusive game on their platforms that even came close to naughty dog's masterpieces.

but from what i remember every game in the series has "weak" titles screens, being this their final uncharted game i believe they just tried to make a similar title screen resembling their previous entries, so it doesn't lose its "feel".

Edited by smellslikejavier

Nitpicking at its finest. 

Ignorance at it's finest.

It's a part 'of the game' that I find underwhelming and so I shared those feelings. Comments like these are immature. It does not matter how much you or others care about in a game (gameplay and story, and as if those are the only things that matter to any degree). The title screen is a little on the weaker side and I commented about it over the internet. Grow up and actually try to understand the point here. Even though it's clearly not a review and I clearly never said this would affect my personal rating of the game, you and others still showed to be incapable of understanding.

i never had so many likes here xD i actually appreciate the time you took to create this thread, at least it wasn't made by some pathetic xbox or pc fanboy who would have tried even harder to shit on the game because they can't find any single exclusive game on their platforms that even came close to naughty dog's masterpieces.

but from what i remember every game in the series has "weak" titles screens, being this their final uncharted game i believe they just tried to make a similar title screen resembling their previous entries, so it doesn't lose its "feel".

Once again, this is now-gen and standards have been set for now gen, as my examples show. (However, plenty of now gen games also have older style title screens.) PS1-PS3 mostly shared the same title screens, so it doesn't matter what the other UC games had (especially if I bring up how drastically different Just Cause 2's title screen is from Just Cause 3's and other now gen sequels like that). ND didn't have to have Nathan look over some horizon (I never implied that), but like I said, knowing ND and this series specifically, you'd think they also go bigger on the title screen. 

And it wouldn't lose the "feels". Although U4 is about Pirates and the main ones throughout the story, the current title screen isn't even fitting for U4. If you actually sit down and think about it, it's not the best way to compliment, define, and symbolize both U4 and the last U game in the series (unless it was Nathan's body). Same thing with the music. The music (4.0) would have worked, because the music this time around is inline with the tone of the story and atmosphere of U4. It even plays multiple times throughout the game, as Jak 3's and The Last of Us's main themes did. It's not like we have the U3/2/1 themes playing on the main menu, we have a more sorrow, mellow, etc tone with the theme this time. 

A theme of Nathan climbing some rocks/mountains/cliff in a iconic part of the game would have been fine/nice. Some kind of interactive Nathan and Sam scene like we've seen in the commercial trailer with Nathan falling would have been nice also. There was potential for a much better title screen. This title screen for U4 is truly underwhelming. It doesn't define Uncharted, Nathan (at all, not even his heroics or ideals), or the last U game.

Edited by Mar

Once again, this is now-gen and standards have been set for now gen, as my examples show. (However, plenty of now gen games also have older style title screens.) PS1-PS3 mostly shared the same title screens, so it doesn't matter what the other UC games had (especially if I bring up how drastically different Just Cause 2's title screen is from Just Cause 3's and other now gen sequels like that). ND didn't have to have Nathan look over some horizon (I never implied that), but like I said, knowing ND and this series specifically, you'd think they also go bigger on the title screen.

this reminds me when i see a million dollar and highly appreciated painting made by a well known artist and to me its just looks like a crappy kids drawing made in 5 seconds with no actual talent spent on it. i think you can see it that way but to others is a well made title screen that catches the tone of the game and its feels and blah blah xD

i changed my "popular" comment just for the lulz :v

this reminds me when i see a million dollar and highly appreciated painting made by a well known artist and to me its just looks like a crappy kids drawing made in 5 seconds with no actual talent spent on it. i think you can see it that way but to others is a well made title screen that catches the tone of the game and its feels and blah blah xD

i changed my "popular" comment just for the lulz :v

The title screen is on the presentation side. Im judging it from that perspective also, it's not that strong, especially for this specific game, series, the developer behind it, and the position of this game. It doesn't define or compliment the status of the game.

Like projects, movies, and so fourth, multiple areas are judged: story, pacing, story, characters, cast, music, presentation, story telling, conclusion, climax, content, etc. Games are mainly about gameplay (and sometimes story, always biased and subjective here, just like with MP) but that's not the only thing that matters OR is worth talking about. If I find the title screen weak, AFTER what amazing title screens I've seen from not as popular especially series/games, then I have every right and my opinion on the title screen for U4 is completely fine.. and worthy of decent discussion value.

Otherwise, food judges shouldn't look at the presentation of the food before eating it, since what really matters is how it taste. Inspectors shouldn't look at small dirty details if it doesn't actually bother customers and contaminate the food, and I can honestly go on. This is hardly why I bother sharing my opinions online. 

Edited by Mar