July IGC

Xel

Cool, so

. Call of Juarez is old as shit, and they already gave us the best one in that series a while back.

. Fat Princess is not only old as balls, but also a free give away if you play the other free Fat Princess game on your phone, seriously, play the thing for like 5 minutes and they give you a download code for the game.

. Prince of Persia, another bloody PSP game being listed as a Vita game, and if memory recalls, wasn't this just a remake of one of the older PS2 ones anyways?

. Saints Row is probably the only thing on this list that's genuinely worth while, but even that is a year or so old and has frequently been on sale for less than 10 bucks.

Agreed. Not a dreadful month like most this month, but still well below average. I would remind anyone who tries to spout the "PS Plus is for online play, the IGC is just a bonus" nonsense, you should know that when PS Plus started back on PS3, it was actually to give subscribers an IGC in the first place. The PS3 has never had a pay to play online function. Sure, Sony is winning the console war for this generation but they are making Microsoft's mistake by getting comfortable and lazy in areas that won them customers in the first place.

• Like 3

Cool, so

. Call of Juarez is old as shit, and they already gave us the best one in that series a while back.

. Fat Princess is not only old as balls, but also a free give away if you play the other free Fat Princess game on your phone, seriously, play the thing for like 5 minutes and they give you a download code for the game.

. Prince of Persia, another bloody PSP game being listed as a Vita game, and if memory recalls, wasn't this just a remake of one of the older PS2 ones anyways?

. Saints Row is probably the only thing on this list that's genuinely worth while, but even that is a year or so old and has frequently been on sale for less than 10 bucks.

All in all, play Saints Row, download the Fat Princess mobile app and get the code for the game so you can actually own it, and if at all possible ignore number 1, cancel PS+ and just buy Saints Row with the money you save. Done.

I forgot to say that the games I left out I have no idea about and can't comment on.

I don't know about you but I definitely pay less than 10 bucks for a month of PS+. I buy PS+ for €50 a year so about €4,17 a month. PS+ for a single month would be €6,99. Lowest price for Gat over here has been is €7,99.

How exactly would not having PS+ save money? And that's just for Gat, not counting Furi and CoJ (which I will both definitely play) and the PS+ discounts I've already enjoyed like an additional €2 off of Unravel and an additional €3,25 off of TWD Michonne.

Hmmmm, seems like not having PS+ would have cost me an additional €9,07 just for the past month and just for three games, excluding the two other PS+ games I will play and you don't want because one is old and the other one you don't know anything about (which apparently is enough to not even try it). Matter of fact, the discounts on Unravel and Michonne alone are worth one of my PS+ months, before we even get to these extra games.

Agreed. Not a dreadful month like most this month, but still well below average. I would remind anyone who tries to spout the "PS Plus is for online play, the IGC is just a bonus" nonsense, you should know that when PS Plus started back on PS3, it was actually to give subscribers an IGC in the first place. The PS3 has never had a pay to play online function. Sure, Sony is winning the console war for this generation but they are making Microsoft's mistake by getting comfortable and lazy in areas that won them customers in the first place.

I pay for PS+ only for the 'free' games and the discounts since I'm not a multiplayer kind of guy. For me it's definitely been worth it, I literally just bought another year of PS+, after these titles had been announced.

I would definitely not say they are getting lazy. They just shifted from giving heaps of AAA games to giving older AAA games that new gamers may have missed and giving unknown small games that everyone may have missed. In the past two years, there have been only two or three months where I haven't gotten at least one game from PS+ which I did not know about before but ended up enjoying a lot, or at the least a game which I already knew about and wanted but still had to play. Last month was a miss for me because I did not enjoy Gone Home and I already owned Echochrome, from March I still have to play SUper Stardust HD and Flame Over (the last of which I can tell you about after tomorrow). That's it. I went through the list of PS+ titles and since June 2014, the only two months in which I have not played and liked at least a single game are March 2016 and June 2016, and it's only two months in two years instead of one month because the games from March which I want to try are still in my backlog and because I already owned the one game from June which I would have enjoyed.

There's no accounting for taste but I personally think I'm getting a pretty good deal with PS+.

People tend to forget or ignore that part about IGC and before the PS4. Coincidentally thats when ICG started to slide. Granted we get a few gems here and there but its certainly not the same. But no one should be relying on IGC for games anyway. Besides the last few sales have been surprisingly great so I have too many games to keep me busy. The defenders of Sony really do need to stop using the "the free games are an added bonus" excuse though.

• Like 1

I pay for PS+ only for the 'free' games and the discounts since I'm not a multiplayer kind of guy. For me it's definitely been worth it, I literally just bought another year of PS+, after these titles had been announced.

I would definitely not say they are getting lazy. They just shifted from giving heaps of AAA games to giving older AAA games that new gamers may have missed and giving unknown small games that everyone may have missed. In the past two years, there have been only two or three months where I haven't gotten at least one game from PS+ which I did not know about before but ended up enjoying a lot, or at the least a game which I already knew about and wanted but still had to play. Last month was a miss for me because I did not enjoy Gone Home and I already owned Echochrome, from March I still have to play SUper Stardust HD and Flame Over (the last of which I can tell you about after tomorrow). That's it. I went through the list of PS+ titles and since June 2014, the only two months in which I have not played and liked at least a single game are March 2016 and June 2016, and it's only two months in two years instead of one month because the games from March which I want to try are still in my backlog and because I already owned the one game from June which I would have enjoyed.

There's no accounting for taste but I personally think I'm getting a pretty good deal with PS+.

I don't know how long you have been subscribed to PS Plus so I don't know if you have seen the same decline in the IGC that many of us who have been subscribed for a few years have seen. I will agree that the bonus discount on buying games that PS Plus gives us is a good thing.

I had a look at the entire list of games released to PS Plus subscribers. The last month I recall the monthly IGC getting a strong positive response overall was back in July 2015. The games we received were:

Rocket League - PS4

Styx: Master Of Shadows - PS4

Entwined - PS4/PS3/PSV

Mousecraft - PS4/PS3/PSV

RAIN - PS3

Geometry Wars 3 - PSV

I remember playing Rocket League the moment it downloaded. To this day, I still rate it highly and one of my favourite games. Rocket League is proof that Day 1 IGC release games can actually be really good, unlike some of the other titles we've been subjected to. Not only that but also the fact that if you only own a PS4, you certainly got your monies worth with 4 games being available thanks to cross-buy titles. I haven't played every title released that month but last July was a rare month where I added everything to my library with the intent to play. All 6 of those title were relatively recent with Rocket League being a Day 1 launch, RAIN launched in 2013 and the other 4 games were all released in 2014.

Many people including myself were outraged when Sony included chapter 1 of King's Quest as an IGC title, only to make it free for everyone a couple of months later. They have previously provided entire seasons before (The Walking Dead Season 2 on PS4 back in November 2015) just one month prior. We weren't given a game, we were basically given a taste, or even a demo. There was also plenty of outrage when we were given Dragon Fin Soup back in November 2015 which to this day is still broken and unpatched on the PlayStation consoles.

When you compare the July 2015 lineup to the July 2016 lineup, it is fair to say that there has been a decline. It's not a matter of taste, I really enjoyed Gat Out Of Hell. It's a matter of quality. We were given 6 complete games. Fair enough, Rocket League continued to support their popular game for the community with DLC and that's perfectly fine. I can't judge Furi until I play it so I won't talk about it. Oreshika on Vita looks interesting enough to try. Fat Princess on PS3 is a very old game, launched in 2009 and it's an incomplete edition. Why not give us the new and improved edition with DLC included on PS4? Call Of Juarez was in limbo back in 2014 as to whether or not to close the servers, so how much longer will it be supported for? As for the PSP version of Prince Of Persia, it simply does not belong in the IGC as it is not a PS4, PS3 or Vita game.

I am a Sony console fan and I am truly worried that Sony is slacking off with the IGC due to strong sales with the PS4 over the Xbox 1, which has been getting very strong IGC support. I don't want them to make the same mistake. You simply can't take your customers or fanbase for granted as a company and the reversal in console popularity this generation is proof of that.

Edited by MattyH16
  • Like 1

too much to quote

Sorry if my last post was not clear enough: I've been having PS+ for two years now, the two years about which I was talking was all of my PS+ time.

I'm not looking for six titles I want because there's too many different tastes to satisfy everybody. I'm very happy at two or more games I end up liking.

This month has Gat, a small AAA game for PS4, which everybody seems to enjoy even if it's not the best SR game out there, and SR3 and SR2 have already been free (SR4 will probably follow before too long). Furi is an unknown title but it has good reviews already (for those in doubt about quality) and it has a platinum (for trophy hunters). Bound in Blood might be an older game but it has gotten good reviews as well. I don't know why you say Fat Princess is an incomplete game with the full game on PS4. I have not played the games but the game on PS4 seems to be a sequel, not just another version, and the PS4 game has gotten much less favourable reviews. I don't know Oreshika but going by reactions, it's an awesome game and people are glad to get this one. As for Prince of Persia... I don't know why there's so much hate on getting PSP games for the Vita. Is it because it has no trophies?

Long story short, this month seems to be getting a justified great reaction overall with the people negative about it are mostly negative about PS+ in general instead of about these games specifically.

I know I have been with PS+ for less time than many people and I've heard talks about a "decline" more often, but to me it just seems that, as I said in my previous posts, PS+ has become less about getting AAA titles which everyone who really wants it already has, and more about giving people the lesser known titles they may have missed. I started out with only a PS4, I've always seen multiplayer as something you have to pay for and I've always looked at PS+ as something to buy for the six surprise games a month and the additional discounts.

Again, it all depends on your personal taste and experience, but I'm still loving PS+, especially this month, and it looks like all people who are negative at this point have at least one or two games in the line-up (mostly Furi and Oreshika) they don't know anything about and are not giving an honest chance.

• Like 1

Too much to quote - I like this, I'm using it too.

Fat Princess on PS3 has a DLC pack that you need to buy if you want 100% trophies. What I mean by a complete game in this instance is a game that doesn't have paid DLC expansions with extra trophies if you want to "complete" the game. Fat Princess on PS4 is "complete", Fat Princess on PS3 has a DLC expansion called Fat Roles and is is therefore "incomplete". Personally I'd prefer the complete one.

One of the points I was trying to make with my last post was that it isn't hard for Sony to provide us with 6 'decent' games. I have pointed out the 6 IGC games 12 months ago compared to the 6 we are getting now. There is a significant difference in the overall effort being put into IGC. I believe that Sony is scraping the bottom of the barrel this year, especially with PS3 and PS Vita. To go from getting games like Far Cry 3, Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, Mass Effect 2, The Unfinished Swan and Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons on PS3, to getting games like Fat Princess, Locoroco, Bionic Commando 2 and The Last Guy...is very disheartening. My issue isn't with a games age or release date, it's with the games themselves based on that comparison, which features games we've received from 2014 until now. I mean, Skyrim has been out since 2011 and I'd love to see that come to IGC!

For Sony to be offering PSP titles for the PS Vita feels like a giant middle finger. PS Vita has plenty of amazing games to offer. Offering PSP games is not ok at all.

By the way, this is partially frustration at Sony and the IGC, not you directly. I realize that PS Plus from my perspective is different to yours and that everyone likes different types of games for different reasons. But I am concerned about the decline in effort and quality overall.

• Like 2

yup, still talking to you

You still haven't explained exactly why PSP games are automatically worse to get than Vita games, but your comment on Fat Princess makes me suspect that it has to do with the lack of trophies? This might be another thing that we disagree on depending on taste and viewpoint in gaming. I don't mind playing games without trophies and I don't mind getting a game which needs DLC to complete. Tropico 5 needs two €20 DLC packs to complete. Never going to buy those (at least not until a 75% or more off sale) but I started the game anyways. I'm less of a completionist / trophy hunter than the average PSNprofiles user though, I suspect.

Yeah you weren't talking about age, but that is a point many detractors of current PS+ try to make (SFSG actually made that point about three out of four games in the post you agreed with earlier by the way). I would love getting Skyrim on PS+, never finished it on the X360, but by now if it would be free I'm willing to bet that there's people who call it too old and would have wanted the PS4 version instead. I would prefer at this point to pay for Skyrim PS4 than to get Skyrim PS3 for free as well, by the way.

I know very little about the Vita library. I never bought a single game for it, I just have it for the PS+ games I was getting anyway and for when I can't be near the PS4 tv. I know that the two or three games I would actively want for it have been on PS+ already though.

Don't worry, I'm not taking it personally ;-) nothing wrong with a bit of discussion, even if we know we're never going to get the other person to change sides. Nothing wrong with hearing out each other's opinions once in a while, I think. I know I have learned a thing or two from this and last month's discussions about why exactly earlier PlayStation adopters think PS+ is so bad while I still think it's awesome.

I probably would have hated a line-up like Far Cry 3, Mass Effect 2, Batman Arkham City, Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite and so on by the way. High profile games like that I either already have for ages by the time they go on PS+ or I don't want at all.

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

I also own Oreshika (the only thing from lineup I care about) but that does not automatically make it poop month ;)

But the offered games are actually good compared to other months ;)

True but let's say it's poop to me because I own everything I care about on the list except for Furi which I haven't been bothered to research :P

Still replying to you.

My post isn't so much trying to convince you that I am right, it's more of a growing concern I have for our IGC in general. I don't mind whether I'm offered a game like Metal Gear Solid or a game like Journey. Both would be amazing. I would say based on the whole conversation that you are right in saying it is thinking us earlier adopters of PS Plus feel like it is declining. I wouldn't say it's completely bad.

Tropico 5 is a great example that you mentioned. Having 2 separate and very expensive expansions was a bit off putting. I have a few reasons for disliking PSP games in the IGC. They aren't Vita games to begin with. To me, getting a PSP game in IGC would be like Sony giving us something like Reel Fishing (a PS1 game) and saying 'what, you don't like it? But it works on PS3. Too bad, U mad bro?' Secondly, they don't have trophy support, which I find disappointing. Lastly, it's because Vita does have an amazing library of games, especially RPG's and adventure games. Something like Tearaway or even a LEGO title would have sufficed.

Agreed, nothing wrong with a friendly discussion at all  B)

• Like 1

yup

Only got two points to add:

- I fear the day that Sony is giving out a PS2 emulated game for PS4, if PSP for Vita is already going so bad...

- My bad, I thought Tearaway had been on PS+ already. Well, that's one game I would actively want that they could put on PS+, I guess. Still not going to pay for a Vita game though.

Only got two points to add:

- I fear the day that Sony is giving out a PS2 emulated game for PS4, if PSP for Vita is already going so bad...

- My bad, I thought Tearaway had been on PS+ already. Well, that's one game I would actively want that they could put on PS+, I guess. Still not going to pay for a Vita game though.

I agree with both of those points. I don't much blame you for not wanting to buy a Vita game, by rights they should be in the IGC. There's still plenty of gems for Vita just waiting to be added!

They would have to start advertising it again.

Sony wants to forget Vita every existed, I guess.

Very well. Deal for Sony: You only have to give us one Vita game per month, but it has to be a real Vita game, no PSP, and then you can give us an extra PS4 game per month. Indies and multi platforms are allowed.

• Like 1

For those who haven't played it, Bound in Blood is a lot of fun. I don't even really like shooters, but picked it up because of the western aesthetic and CheapyD kept going on and on about it on his podcast.  For a first person title, the gameplay variety is welcome and the campaign is surprisingly heavy on story.

I will get Gat Out of Hell and Oreshika for sure, and will definitely look into Prince of Persia: Revelation (lack of trophies doesn't stop me from playing 3DS games, why would it stop me from playing a PSP to Vita title if it looks good?)

Because as far as I can tell it's essentially a PSP port of The Two Thrones, something you're better off playing on PS3 with trophies if you're into that (plus it runs better obviously).

Anyway this is a much better month. Maybe they're getting the hint? Fat Princess is pretty good but you can get it for free anyway by playing the free mobile game up until Level 15 and you'll own the game forever doing that as you just get a straight up download code for it. 

That Fat Princess mobile game is on Vita, too, isn't it? So, you don't even need a phone to get it, if you have a Vita. Kinda rotten, they made a way you can get it for free, and then add it to Plus.. That is one I'm definitely disappointed with. 

Edited by DamagingRob

Very well. Deal for Sony: You only have to give us one Vita game per month, but it has to be a real Vita game, no PSP, and then you can give us an extra PS4 game per month. Indies and multi platforms are allowed.

I'd be pretty happy with that.

For some reason, I feel that this solution would make everyone happy xD

It definitely would. I wish I knew who to talk to about it though.

Looks like Fat Princess is no longer on the list, Yakuza 5 seems to be in it's place at least on the EU store.

EDIT:

Correction, looks like a listings screw up, adding Yakuza 5 to the basket puts the price back to £32.99.  Best wait a day or so until they fix the listings I guess.

Edited by Willstown