Favorite PC Game(s)?

Maxximum

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Sometime after the PS3's launch, I mostly fell out of PC gaming, but my absolute favorite was easily Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear. Spent countless enjoyable hours in the competitive online modes on Mplayer, making some good friends (and enemies) along the way. I occasionally find myself wondering what all those folks are up to these days. Considering that I was connecting via a 56k modem at the time, and the general unreliability of Mplayer, it's a wonder how I managed to have any fun whatsoever, but those days were a blast.

I was also quite fond of the original Far Cry, for whatever reason; played through it so many times. "Watch out for some guy in a red Hawaiian shirt!".

• Like 1

Many games people associate with PC I played on console instead, I very rarely play PC games. Of the games I've played on PC these are my favourites:

• Return to Castle Wolfenstein
  • Warcraft 3 and the original DOTA mod
  • Portal 1 and 2
  • Geometry Dash

Also I first played them on Xbox 360 through the XBLIG program but Apple Jack 1 and 2 are criminally underrated games with such a chill vibe and soundtrack. They're available on Steam and I thoroughly recommend them to anyone. Here's a sample of Apple Jack 2's soundtrack. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Another of my favorites is Unreal, the FPS game that spawned a certain engine. As Epic's answer to Quake, I'd say it succeeded. Your enemies are a bit smarter than Quake's, and even make an effort to dodge your fire. The castle flyby intro is worth watching.

Sadly, Unreal has fallen victim to delisting from all digital stores, alongside others in the series. Why? Even if they have shut the online off for it, the 1P campaign is perfectly good enough to stand on its own. This BS has gotten out of hand. It's not even a licensed title. I love them for making the Unreal engine and game, but I'll have to say fuck them for junking the game. They should've made a console port instead, even if the MP were removed. I'm sure a PS5/XS version with enhancements would sell.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 9:45 PM, RadiantFlamberge said:

Another of my favorites is Unreal, the FPS game that spawned a certain engine. As Epic's answer to Quake, I'd say it succeeded. Your enemies are a bit smarter than Quake's, and even make an effort to dodge your fire. The castle flyby intro is worth watching.

Sadly, Unreal has fallen victim to delisting from all digital stores, alongside others in the series. Why? Even if they have shut the online off for it, the 1P campaign is perfectly good enough to stand on its own. This BS has gotten out of hand. It's not even a licensed title. I love them for making the Unreal engine and game, but I'll have to say fuck them for junking the game. They should've made a console port instead, even if the MP were removed. I'm sure a PS5/XS version with enhancements would sell.

I cant figure out why the heck they didnt port Quake champions and unreal tournament 2014, i can feel your pain because in unreal´s case those games are trapped in some crappy limbo where no one wants to risk for a remaster or even port any of the games, its sad to see where a killer brand from the 90s like Unreal is

• Like 1

Thankfully, for Unreal & Unreal 2 I'm still able to DL my owned copy from GOG. It has a community patch that allows you to upscale the HUD for 4K. I'd have liked to see a PS5 version with trophies. Now it's good that we have Quake 2 on PS5 with all expansions and even some new content. id Software respects its legacy... as Epic should. A pleasant surprise is Q2 having KBM support (God bless NightDive... I bet Rise of the Triad LE will have KBM as well when it is finally released on PS).

Half-Life 2 is great. Sadly, Valve left us all hanging with HL2 Episode 2. The ending leaves you thirsting for a tall cold 64 oz. glass of revenge on the Combine scum. One thing that made me laugh is throwing a grenade squarely into a window where a Combine was, then listening to him emotionlessly say "Oh shit" with nary a twinge of panic before the boom. And throwing sawblades at zombies (thank you Gravity Gun!) never gets old.

If we're lucky and they actually make HL3... they should have a prologue mission to properly close out HL2's story. The gravity gun needs to come back, or it's not HL3 IMO.  It's become more iconic than the crowbar. You can do so many things with the GG in HL2. Is that a grenade coming your way? Return to sender, or at least get the damn thing going somewhere else before it blows up.

• 4 months later...

Half-Life 2. I played through it recently and it is mind blowing how good that game looks for a title that came out in 2004. Valve really did some magic with their Source engine.

I also really enjoyed playing Elder Scrolls series, especially Oblivion.

Looking forward to delving deeper in to PC Gaming soon, so I'm excited to discover some more games I never have got the chance to play on Console. There's a lot of good stuff.