Tips for Pokemon Go

AkasunaUchiha

Some of my Pokémon that defend a gym have a red (line?) symbol above the gym symbol. Does anybody know what it means? My first guess was/is that the gym is being attacked right now, but the symbol's been there for hours now and i cannot imagine that a CP 547 Kingler is being attacked that long without the gym being taken over. Any ideas? I've added a screenshot if you haven't seen the symbol before (searching for an explanation in google did not turn up anything).

post-7074-0-95206200-1468652171_thumb.jpeg

Sort of off topic:

Can anyone who downloaded the APK confirm if you have to restart the game once you download the official app?

On topic:

Do not evolve any Pokemon until you receive a Lucky Egg at level 9. Also, if you don't mind spending some cash, get a few Lucky Eggs right when you start the game to power level.

Some of my Pokémon that defend a gym have a red (line?) symbol above the gym symbol. Does anybody know what it means? My first guess was/is that the gym is being attacked right now, but the symbol's been there for hours now and i cannot imagine that a CP 547 Kingler is being attacked that long without the gym being taken over. Any ideas? I've added a screenshot if you haven't seen the symbol before (searching for an explanation in google did not turn up anything).

That red line just looks like the tip of your Kingler's claw. The rest of it is just being blocked by the gym symbol.

Edited by Mike13858
  • Like 1

That red line just looks like the tip of your Kingler's claw. The rest of it is just being blocked by the gym symbol.

Oooooooooh! Now I feel like an idiot :D

Thank's a lot, that's what it is ^^

An easy way to hatch your eggs is by putting it in the microwave. The phone will rotate on the plate and think you are walking.

LOL great advice bro, if the microwave couldn't apply heat and only rotate then yeah it will work i guess

I'm seriously curious about these teams, what is underdog? that's something i haven't seen on the game, and with team instinct, mystic and valor. What's the difference?!

LOL great advice bro, if the microwave couldn't apply heat and only rotate then yeah it will work i guess

I'm seriously curious about these teams, what is underdog? that's something i haven't seen on the game, and with team instinct, mystic and valor. What's the difference?!

Instinct seems to be the underdog anywhere you go.  You look at your area really.. see what teams gyms have, the team with the least amount is going to be your underdog team.

Instinct seems to be the underdog anywhere you go.  You look at your area really.. see what teams gyms have, the team with the least amount is going to be your underdog team.

Oh right, i understand how these team represents legendary bird pokemon but other than that, are there actually any other differences between them which will help you in game?

Oh right, i understand how these team represents legendary bird pokemon but other than that, are there actually any other differences between them which will help you in game?

It depends on your area.  If you want a challenge for gyms, pick the underdog.  If you just want the option of placing your Pokemon at an already claimed gym and pick up the bonuses, pick the team that seems most popular in your area.  Depends on the way you play honestly, if you play in a group, get your friends to join the underdog team and you can all go around and take over gyms and keep the defense up on them longer than a few minutes, if you're solo, then you're better to pick the latter choice.

Is anyone else having all the pokemon in the area stuck at 3 paw prints? All my friends playing are having this problem making them much harder to track. Any news if Niantic is aware of it and working on a fix?

This has been an ongoing bug for a few days now.  Hoping Niantic will address the problem soon.  They are being very anti-social though and the only updates we ever see from them are "HEY! It's out now in <insert country>, play now and destroy the servers!"

Edited by DEMON
  • Like 1

So this list seems pretty accurate, just waiting on getting lucky for a 10km egg, but I have the feeling that many doesn't drop at stops until a certain level as you get pretty good Pokemon from that.

Actually, a 10km egg was the first one I got, at level 2 or something. I just think they're rarer. Spoke to a guy last night who hasn't had one yet, he's level 20.

Still confused about how Gyms work. 

So, if there's a friendly gym, can I just go there and put my Pokemon on it? Or do I have to fight my way through their ranks like with a hostile gym? (Cuz that's gonna be impossible for me right now...)

Can I increase my Pokemon CP at a friendly gym by fighting? (I'm yet to win a fight. The CP on the gyms around here is mostly >1,000. My best is a Hypno at 600CP.)

Actually, a 10km egg was the first one I got, at level 2 or something. I just think they're rarer. Spoke to a guy last night who hasn't had one yet, he's level 20.

Still confused about how Gyms work. 

So, if there's a friendly gym, can I just go there and put my Pokemon on it? Or do I have to fight my way through their ranks like with a hostile gym? (Cuz that's gonna be impossible for me right now...)

Can I increase my Pokemon CP at a friendly gym by fighting? (I'm yet to win a fight. The CP on the gyms around here is mostly >1,000. My best is a Hypno at 600CP.)

If a gym has space, you can add your pokemon to it (a gym can have as many Pokemon as its current level). Otherwise, all you can do is raise the gym's prestige to raise its level and create space for you.

Pokemon sadly don't increase CP by fighting. CP only goes up by feeding them stardust or evolving.

In general, about gyms, what you want to do is find a weak one, beat it, claim it with a weak pokemon, claim your defender bonus immeditate, and then leave. In any highly populated area, it is near impossible to hold a gym for long unless you have a group of people your color with you to put Pokemon in immediately and raise the prestige of the gym. There is very little chance your 3 Pokemon in the gym can beat 6, and in even worse cases, multiple groups of 6.

In general, about gyms, what you want to do is find a weak one, beat it, claim it with a weak pokemon, claim your defender bonus immeditate, and then leave. In any highly populated area, it is near impossible to hold a gym for long unless you have a group of people your color with you to put Pokemon in immediately and raise the prestige of the gym. There is very little chance your 3 Pokemon in the gym can beat 6, and in even worse cases, multiple groups of 6.

Thanks for the tips. I think I get it now. 

The only thing that confused me was the defender bonus - whats that, what's it do, and how do I claim it?

Edit: Oh, wait, I've just found the icon in the Shop screen. Tapping it says I need to put a Pokemon on a gym... fair enough. 

So do I just put a Pokemon on a gym then go to this screen and tap the icon to claim it? What does the bonus do once claimed?

Edited by StrickenBiged

Thanks for the tips. I think I get it now. 

The only thing that confused me was the defender bonus - whats that, what's it do, and how do I claim it?

Edit: Oh, wait, I've just found the icon in the Shop screen. Tapping it says I need to put a Pokemon on a gym... fair enough. 

So do I just put a Pokemon on a gym then go to this screen and tap the icon to claim it? What does the bonus do once claimed?

Wait.  How many gyms does your team run in your area? Go around first and put a few Pokemon in gyms and then claim your bonus, you can only do it once every 21 hours so you might as well go and try and get as much bonus as you can (up to 10 Pokemon can be placed at gyms for max bonus rewards).

Yea, I've got 2 10km eggs and I'm going to work on hatching both today.  Lv. 16, so I'm hoping for some high CP Pokemon.

Yea, I've got 2 10km eggs and I'm going to work on hatching both today.  Lv. 16, so I'm hoping for some high CP Pokemon.

Fingers crossed for you. Doesn't always happen though. My 10km egg hatched into a Clefairy. I was level 12, so was encountering 500>CP>100 pokemon in the wild. But the Clefairy that hatched was 40CP... :|

Maybe it's linked to the trainer level you were when you got the egg... 40CP would make sense then. 

Wait.  How many gyms does your team run in your area? Go around first and put a few Pokemon in gyms and then claim your bonus, you can only do it once every 21 hours so you might as well go and try and get as much bonus as you can (up to 10 Pokemon can be placed at gyms for max bonus rewards).

My team is currently running one gym that I can see. It's 6000/8000 prestige, level 3, and holds 3 pokemon. Do I need to keep fighting there until it's up to 8000/8000 prestige before I can place one of mine?

What does the bonus actually do? And can I claim it straight away after placing a pokemon? Do I just tap the shield icon to do that?

I feel like this game could have done a better job at explaining its systems...

Fingers crossed for you. Doesn't always happen though. My 10km egg hatched into a Clefairy. I was level 12, so was encountering 500>CP>100 pokemon in the wild. But the Clefairy that hatched was 40CP... :|

Maybe it's linked to the trainer level you were when you got the egg... 40CP would make sense then. 

My team is currently running one gym that I can see. It's 6000/8000 prestige, level 3, and holds 3 pokemon. Do I need to keep fighting there until it's up to 8000/8000 prestige before I can place one of mine?

What does the bonus actually do? And can I claim it straight away after placing a pokemon? Do I just tap the shield icon to do that?

I feel like this game could have done a better job at explaining its systems...

Yeah, you need to get them up to 8k somehow to make room for you.

The bonus gives ( 500 Stardust and 10 Coins ) * number of gyms your pokemon are in, and is mostly important because it is the only way to obtain the actual money currency without spending money right now. 

For myself, every gym in the area changes ownership every 1hr because they're so easy to crush, so there is really no point for me in going out claiming multiple gyms unless I'm sure I can claim a few all at once for multiple defender bonus (did 3 yesterday)

Yeah, you need to get them up to 8k somehow to make room for you.

The bonus gives ( 500 Stardust and 10 Coins ) * number of gyms your pokemon are in, and is mostly important because it is the only way to obtain the actual money currency without spending money right now. 

For myself, every gym in the area changes ownership every 1hr because they're so easy to crush, so there is really no point for me in going out claiming multiple gyms unless I'm sure I can claim a few all at once for multiple defender bonus (did 3 yesterday)

Thanks for the answers. 

I spoke to a guy at a stop yesterday. His strategy is to wake up at 4am, hit every gym in town in his car (for the sake of speed), leave a pokemon on as many as possible, and claim the bonus immediately. (I didn't really understand what he was saying yesterday, I just nodded along.)

He then goes back to bed until school starts. (Oh, to be a student again... *looks wistfully out the window at the hot summer day*)

Ahem. Anyway, such a strategy might benefit you? 

A bummer that that's the only way to get coins in game (and so few!). No wonder the top players around here are dominating. They can actually afford the in-game items and don't have to rely on drops alone!

An easy way to hatch your eggs is by putting it in the microwave. The phone will rotate on the plate and think you are walking.

I hope you're joking - I know that microwaves work by heating under the moisture inside of food and should technically not affect smartphones, but there are all those tiny microchips that could be damaged by microwaves. :( I'd just spin a Lazy Susan.

Considering how Pokemon GO is on this forum, I might download it. My sister already has lead in ten gyms

Edited by DetectiveCJ

I don't know if someone already posted this, but if you're not driving a car, instead merely riding shot-gun or on the back seat, don't hesitate to take out your phone and open Pokemon Go. The only thing that get's blocked afaik are the egg hatching kilometers but pokemons will still appear. I captured like three that way one of these days. Not to mention lights were very close to poke-stops.