Capcom shipped less than a 100k copies of Street Fighter 5 from April to June

FlareXV

Okay I'm seeing a lot of hate on capcom in this thread and that's fine, but if you are going to hate on capcom at least use points that can't be destroyed by fact checking / research.

Let see:

1. Why is Street fighter V only on PS4 and PC?: Because Street fighter V was made with Sony's money. It just like how nintendo's money made Bayonetta 2. If Sony had not put money into SFV capcom couldn't have made it until sometime around the year 2020. (This was made clear in an interview a few weeks after SFV was announced) This would have killed the Capcom Pro Tour, because most people were sick of watching SFIV so Sony gave capcom the money to make SFV and $500,000 to add to the Capcom Pro Tour grand prize to keep it alive.
  2. Why didn't capcom release SFV as complete game (ie. why no story mode, arcade mode, the other 6 characters at launch) There are a number of reason for this, but it really comes down to the capcom pro tour and sony putting money into it. Sony put a lot of money into SFV and the CPT so of course they want the game they put their money into to be the spotlight game. So instead of having another year of SF4 in the CPT Sony more or less told capcom to have the main part of the game ready for the start of the CPT which started 2/26/16. Street fighter V was released 2/16/16. In order to make sure the CPT players had time to get use to the game before the really big events like CEO and EVO the useless modes had to be cut.
  3. The truth about arcade modes in fighting games: Just in case you didn't know most JP fighting games have a arcade release before anything else mainly for gameplay testing and bug fixing. In these arcade releases you normally have the base characters (usually between 8 and 12 characters for a brand new game) a VS mode and arcade mode. Most arcade fighting game players just play VS matches, so what is the arcade mode for you may ask? To take casual fighting game players money. That's all the mode is really made for, it's the old quarter muncher trick, make it just hard enough you the player thinks they can win and the next thing they know they have spent $5. In fact arcade mode is so worthless that Arc System works has started putting training mode in their arcade release of BB and GG for the more serious arcade fighting game players to practice (I think it costs the same as an arcade mode run, but i'm not sure). After all about 6 months the console version is released with between 2 and 6 new character added and the arcade mode is just kind of thrown in there for free. As you may already know SFV didn't have a arcade release which means no quarter muncher arcade mode was made in the base game.
  4. The multiple version problem: I keep seeing people saying they will wait for the next version of SF5 before buying it, but there is a really high chance there won't be one. Why? Because there is no arcade version. Just in case you didn't know there is a fighting game arcade to console cycle. It goes base game arcade release -> console version with new characters -> arcade release with those new characters and some new stuff (characters or balance patch) -> console version with the new stuff and more new stuff -> ect... This is how we ended up with 4 versions of SF4 and new BB and GG every year. For a while people have been rightfully saying they should just release the new stuff as DLC so capcom decide to try doing just that and everyone complains about it while more or less letting GG Xrd Revelator get away with it. Also it's most likely Sony's call on a new version of SF5.
  5. Capcom not using there IP: I'm not sure if people know this but a lot of Capcom's IP don't sale that well. Sure Street Fighter, Monster Hunter and Resident Evil do great, but the rest only do okay half of the time. Capcom has this habit of making good cult classic games that don't sell well and since they don't make that much money they can only make game that they are sure will make money. Also a lot of the people who made those cult classic games left the company so they may not have anyone that can make the games you want.
  6. Letting other companies use their IPs: They tried that too, remember DMC: Devil May Cry and Lost Planet 3? Most people hate those games which tells capcom not to let other companies use their IPs.
  7. You do know capcom is a Japanese company right?: What I mean by this, is that capcom's main target audience is the Japanese game market and what rules the Japanese game market right now? Mobile games and pachinko. Sure capcom makes money off of their pachinko division, but their video game divisions have been losing money for a while now and without money they can make the game you want them to make. What's the point in spending $20 million to make a new game that won't make half of that back in sales? Capcom no longer has the money to make good cult classic games anymore.

That all I got for now. Like I said there nothing wrong with hating on Capcom, but just do some fact checking first.

Also Kyle Bosman just did a video about why you shouldn't hate capcom so much.

• Like 1

Okay I'm seeing a lot of hate on capcom in this thread and that's fine, but if you are going to hate on capcom at least use points that can't be destroyed by fact checking / research.

Let see:

• Why is Street fighter V only on PS4 and PC?: Because Street fighter V was made with Sony's money. It just like how nintendo's money made Bayonetta 2. If Sony had not put money into SFV capcom couldn't have made it until sometime around the year 2020. (This was made clear in an interview a few weeks after SFV was announced) This would have killed the Capcom Pro Tour, because most people were sick of watching SFIV so Sony gave capcom the money to make SFV and $500,000 to add to the Capcom Pro Tour grand prize to keep it alive.
  • Why didn't capcom release SFV as complete game (ie. why no story mode, arcade mode, the other 6 characters at launch) There are a number of reason for this, but it really comes down to the capcom pro tour and sony putting money into it. Sony put a lot of money into SFV and the CPT so of course they want the game they put their money into to be the spotlight game. So instead of having another year of SF4 in the CPT Sony more or less told capcom to have the main part of the game ready for the start of the CPT which started 2/26/16. Street fighter V was released 2/16/16. In order to make sure the CPT players had time to get use to the game before the really big events like CEO and EVO the useless modes had to be cut.
  • The truth about arcade modes in fighting games: Just in case you didn't know most JP fighting games have a arcade release before anything else mainly for gameplay testing and bug fixing. In these arcade releases you normally have the base characters (usually between 8 and 12 characters for a brand new game) a VS mode and arcade mode. Most arcade fighting game players just play VS matches, so what is the arcade mode for you may ask? To take casual fighting game players money. That's all the mode is really made for, it's the old quarter muncher trick, make it just hard enough you the player thinks they can win and the next thing they know they have spent $5. In fact arcade mode is so worthless that Arc System works has started putting training mode in their arcade release of BB and GG for the more serious arcade fighting game players to practice (I think it costs the same as an arcade mode run, but i'm not sure). After all about 6 months the console version is released with between 2 and 6 new character added and the arcade mode is just kind of thrown in there for free. As you may already know SFV didn't have a arcade release which means no quarter muncher arcade mode was made in the base game.
  • The multiple version problem: I keep seeing people saying they will wait for the next version of SF5 before buying it, but there is a really high chance there won't be one. Why? Because there is no arcade version. Just in case you didn't know there is a fighting game arcade to console cycle. It goes base game arcade release -> console version with new characters -> arcade release with those new characters and some new stuff (characters or balance patch) -> console version with the new stuff and more new stuff -> ect... This is how we ended up with 4 versions of SF4 and new BB and GG every year. For a while people have been rightfully saying they should just release the new stuff as DLC so capcom decide to try doing just that and everyone complains about it while more or less letting GG Xrd Revelator get away with it. Also it's most likely Sony's call on a new version of SF5.
  • Capcom not using there IP: I'm not sure if people know this but a lot of Capcom's IP don't sale that well. Sure Street Fighter, Monster Hunter and Resident Evil do great, but the rest only do okay half of the time. Capcom has this habit of making good cult classic games that don't sell well and since they don't make that much money they can only make game that they are sure will make money. Also a lot of the people who made those cult classic games left the company so they may not have anyone that can make the games you want.
  • Letting other companies use their IPs: They tried that too, remember DMC: Devil May Cry and Lost Planet 3? Most people hate those games which tells capcom not to let other companies use their IPs.
  • You do know capcom is a Japanese company right?: What I mean by this, is that capcom's main target audience is the Japanese game market and what rules the Japanese game market right now? Mobile games and pachinko. Sure capcom makes money off of their pachinko division, but their video game divisions have been losing money for a while now and without money they can make the game you want them to make. What's the point in spending $20 million to make a new game that won't make half of that back in sales? Capcom no longer has the money to make good cult classic games anymore.
That all I got for now. Like I said there nothing wrong with hating on Capcom, but just do some fact checking first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o_aWyHGjj8

So to sum this up he blamed Sony Please understand (let's see who gets that)

Well , Capcom is kind of hard to predict , right? They come with a garbage game called RE6 without an identity, it's an action game? survival? hide and seek? run for your lives, then shoot, then kick, and run, and...you know. Setting off a wave of hatred . So they come with RE and RE0 remasters, bringing happyness for all fans lol, Theeeeen again , launch a multiplayer shooter RE called Umbrella... ... ...hm, something lol , bringing back the wave. Only to calm the tide again with the return of the survival horror, with REVII

Capcom sometimes listen their fans, you know? But sometimes, they make these types of decisions, that make you say: WHY CAPCOM? Just like lauch an unfinished game like SFV, with no arcade mode, no story mode, bringing characters slowly. 

Even so, i have faith in this company. Just bring back Dante or Nero in DMC5, bring back Breath of fire AND, make some GOOD Megaman game again.

I look at it like this, a few years ago Capcom tried to rob us every time they released a game. Now they only do it every other game they release. Revelations 2 was awesome with a lot of free stuff, a polished fun game and an awesome entry in the RE universe. And then you get this, if I had bought the game in February I would have been pissed, but if I bought the game now, I would have been alright with it. 

1. You do know capcom is a Japanese company right?: What I mean by this, is that capcom's main target audience is the Japanese game market

Since when?

If that was correct...

1) SFV would be cross PS4/PS3

2) SFV would not be on PC

3) Vita would be relevant to them => Vita would have MH, it would not be 3DS-only

So to sum this up he blamed Sony Please understand (let's see who gets that)

So...we have shifted to Nintendo? xD

My bad, last I heard it was still in development.

Time to abuse your JP account! :D

Edited by Satoshi Ookami
  • Like 1

Let see:

1. Why is Street fighter V only on PS4 and PC?: Because Street fighter V was made with Sony's money. It just like how nintendo's money made Bayonetta 2. If Sony had not put money into SFV capcom couldn't have made it until sometime around the year 2020. (This was made clear in an interview a few weeks after SFV was announced) This would have killed the Capcom Pro Tour, because most people were sick of watching SFIV so Sony gave capcom the money to make SFV and $500,000 to add to the Capcom Pro Tour grand prize to keep it alive.

PC (Steam) isn't a viable replacement for Xbox and Capcom knows that. PC is around 20% rough estimate, making it a PS4 exclusive would have been better in this situation. Also I heard it was 2018 not 2020 they would have started development but that chance is gone now. They should of took that chance, they could of had SF4 levels of sales potential.

It's clear that they just didn't plan things properly. 

Since when?

If that was correct...

1) SFV would be cross PS4/PS3

2) SFV would not be on PC

3) Vita would be relevant to them => Vita would have MH, it would not be 3DS-only

A lot of Japanese Developers have been putting their games on Steam for the last few years. The games aren't doing very good but the cost to port and put them there is cheap compared to Xbox. 

I do think it would have better success if it was Cross-gen, but I'm happy PC got it instead. The Vita was relevant to them and look what happened.  

PC (Steam) isn't a viable replacement for Xbox and Capcom knows that. PC is around 20% rough estimate, making it a PS4 exclusive would have been better in this situation. Also I heard it was 2018 not 2020 they would have started development but that chance is gone now. They should of took that chance, they could of had SF4 levels of sales potential.

It's clear that they just didn't plan things properly. 

You keep working under the assumption that the Japanese game market cares about Xbox. Well they don't, at the end of it's live span the 360 only sold okay in Japanese and I'm pretty sure the One is still doing terribly in Japanese. So as a Japanese company they look outside and see that the XBONE makes no money in Japanese, in 2015 The XBONE is still were nowhere close to PS4 in the US or EU. So when Sony comes with a big pot of money for both the new street fighter and the CPT, plus Sony was letting them make a PC version that's cross play, There was no reason for capcom to not take that deal.

Going by the logic you have had about sales, I don't know why you would think making the SFV PS4 exclusive would have been better. In a time where more and more people are playing games on their PC it makes perfect sense to make a PC version. Not doing so would have just cut into their sales even more.

From the interview I saw capcom said it would have taking around 5 years to make SFV in it current stage without Sony's money. Another 5 years of SFIV would have killed the CPT and possibly Fighting game E-Sport potential. Starting development in 2018 means the game would not be ready until 2019-2020 and 5 years is a long time in the gaming market. They could have gone out of business in that time or new consoles could have been released, ect... Either way it's clear that had a plan, but even now they can't escape how fickle gamers are nowadays.

Edited by soultaker655

I really like how you think Konami is in deep financial trouble and is on the verge of bankruptcy. Nah, they're doing just fine, don't worry.

As for the topic, the important thing is they tried! Oh no, they didn't. They shipped an incomplete game, cut out a ton of player favorites, and then nickle and dime their playerbase with a ton of DLC. That and after SF4 and the 3-4 versions it got, most people are waiting for the "Super Elite Whatever" version, even though they swore they wouldn't do that. But... They've lied so much in the past, I think everyone knows it's coming.

False.....  most of the fan favorites are already in the game.  Most people like Ryu or Ken anyway -_-

Good maybe next time try harder not hard to make a fighting game.It also came in 43th out of 50 best selling games in japan selling a mere 82,000 copies. I wouldn't worry about resident evil since 0 sold 1.1 million 

That's because there's no arcade version of the game, which is paramount culturally, socially, etc in Japan.  Most folks in the FGC play in the arcades.  To say having an arcade version for this game in Japan would be huge is an understatement.

Let see:

2. Why didn't capcom release SFV as complete game (ie. why no story mode, arcade mode, the other 6 characters at launch) There are a number of reason for this, but it really comes down to the capcom pro tour and sony putting money into it. Sony put a lot of money into SFV and the CPT so of course they want the game they put their money into to be the spotlight game. So instead of having another year of SF4 in the CPT Sony more or less told capcom to have the main part of the game ready for the start of the CPT which started 2/26/16. Street fighter V was released 2/16/16. In order to make sure the CPT players had time to get use to the game before the really big events like CEO and EVO the useless modes had to be cut.
  3. The truth about arcade modes in fighting games: Just in case you didn't know most JP fighting games have a arcade release before anything else mainly for gameplay testing and bug fixing. In these arcade releases you normally have the base characters (usually between 8 and 12 characters for a brand new game) a VS mode and arcade mode. Most arcade fighting game players just play VS matches, so what is the arcade mode for you may ask? To take casual fighting game players money. That's all the mode is really made for, it's the old quarter muncher trick, make it just hard enough you the player thinks they can win and the next thing they know they have spent $5. In fact arcade mode is so worthless that Arc System works has started putting training mode in their arcade release of BB and GG for the more serious arcade fighting game players to practice (I think it costs the same as an arcade mode run, but i'm not sure). After all about 6 months the console version is released with between 2 and 6 new character added and the arcade mode is just kind of thrown in there for free. As you may already know SFV didn't have a arcade release which means no quarter muncher arcade mode was made in the base game.
  4. The multiple version problem: I keep seeing people saying they will wait for the next version of SF5 before buying it, but there is a really high chance there won't be one. Why? Because there is no arcade version. Just in case you didn't know there is a fighting game arcade to console cycle. It goes base game arcade release -> console version with new characters -> arcade release with those new characters and some new stuff (characters or balance patch) -> console version with the new stuff and more new stuff -> ect... This is how we ended up with 4 versions of SF4 and new BB and GG every year. For a while people have been rightfully saying they should just release the new stuff as DLC so capcom decide to try doing just that and everyone complains about it while more or less letting GG Xrd Revelator get away with it. Also it's most likely Sony's call on a new version of SF5.
  5. Capcom not using there IP: I'm not sure if people know this but a lot of Capcom's IP don't sale that well. Sure Street Fighter, Monster Hunter and Resident Evil do great, but the rest only do okay half of the time. Capcom has this habit of making good cult classic games that don't sell well and since they don't make that much money they can only make game that they are sure will make money. Also a lot of the people who made those cult classic games left the company so they may not have anyone that can make the games you want.
  6. Letting other companies use their IPs: They tried that too, remember DMC: Devil May Cry and Lost Planet 3? Most people hate those games which tells capcom not to let other companies use their IPs.
  7. You do know capcom is a Japanese company right?: What I mean by this, is that capcom's main target audience is the Japanese game market and what rules the Japanese game market right now? Mobile games and pachinko. Sure capcom makes money off of their pachinko division, but their video game divisions have been losing money for a while now and without money they can make the game you want them to make. What's the point in spending $20 million to make a new game that won't make half of that back in sales? Capcom no longer has the money to make good cult classic games anymore.

While, I know about your points, the Capcom Pro Tour would have been fine with having USF4 for one more year.  SFV could have been released later, next year probably.  Having said that, there probably wouldn't be E-sport events CPT wouldn't have been on ESPN either.

Edited by grimydawg

You keep working under the assumption that the Japanese game market cares about Xbox. Well they don't, at the end of it's live span the 360 only sold okay in Japanese and I'm pretty sure the One is still doing terribly in Japanese. So as a Japanese company they look outside and see that the XBONE makes no money in Japanese, in 2015 The XBONE is still were nowhere close to PS4 in the US or EU. So when Sony comes with a big pot of money for both the new street fighter and the CPT, plus Sony was letting them make a PC version that's cross play, There was no reason for capcom to not take that deal.

Your comment is pretty weird, when I ever mention the Japanese game market? I just said that Steam isn't a viable replacement for Xbox which has been proven many times. I don't even think Steam has ever had a game that has reached 200,000 in a week sold for a Japanese game. Granted XB360 did that in Japan around 2008, the feat still stands. 

Now you say that I'm under the assumption that the Japanese game market cares about the Xbox, I never assume that but you did.

Going by the logic you have had about sales, I don't know why you would think making the SFV PS4 exclusive would have been better. In a time where more and more people are playing games on their PC it makes perfect sense to make a PC version. Not doing so would have just cut into their sales even more.

This one was more wishful thinking on my part, cross-play clearly didn't bring in a lot players on the PC but hey, cross-play. The PC Retail requires you to unlock it on Steam, that would mean the current 175,000 number on SSpy is digital and retail together. If you think that was worth cutting the XB1 version, more power to you. 

From the interview I saw capcom said it would have taking around 5 years to make SFV in it current stage without Sony's money. Another 5 years of SFIV would have killed the CPT and possibly Fighting game E-Sport potential. Starting development in 2018 means the game would not be ready until 2019-2020 and 5 years is a long time in the gaming market. They could have gone out of business in that time or new consoles could have been released, ect... Either way it's clear that had a plan, but even now they can't escape how fickle gamers are nowadays.

Lol, that's not how the market works. If they have started 2018 or 2019 and came out 2020 or 2021, they wouldn't have this problem. This game could easily sink them quicker in the mean time, causal market has gone and some Japanese players like Daigo have talked about the missing arcade port. E-Sport potential is nothing without a good product.

I'm pretty sure we were talking about developers, not localization companies.

Hardly any Japanese developer work with PC from the start unless they plan to create eroge.

Tecmo, Namco, Square Enix, Compile Heart and many others have put their Japanese games on Steam. Many of them don't succeed and do have low sales, but at least they are trying. Also these are the companies that make them not the localization. 

Lol, that's not how the market works. If they have started 2018 or 2019 and came out 2020 or 2021, they wouldn't have this problem. This game could easily sink them quicker in the mean time, causal market has gone and some Japanese players like Daigo have talked about the missing arcade port. E-Sport potential is nothing without a good product.

Okay, explain the logic behind your assertion that capcom should have waited 5 years to release SFV on all console instead of releasing it now. Because from my point of view that 5 year would have done way more damage to capcom then the sales of a game that hasn't been out for a year yet.

Remember I've already said capcom's game division loses money every year, so in five years they could have:

1. Lost the chance to release a new SF game on the current-gen console (The average console generation lifespan is 5-6 years) which would have lost them at least 4-5 million potential buyers.
  2. Killed the E-sport event they were running (The CPT could have survived on 1 or 2 more years of SFIV, but after that the game would be too stale with no new updates) plus they would not have had the money for a big grand prize (remember the only reason it's $500,000 right now is because of Sony)
  3. Killed fighting games mainstream E-sport push. Because say what you will about MKX, KI, SSB and GG, but none of those games or their tournament scene are well liked/strong enough to pull fighting games to the mainstream. (MKX is still too violent/ M rated for the mainstream) (KI lacks support from Microsoft) (SSB is still a party game to the mainstream) (GG is an anime game)
  4. Gone bankrupt / shut down/ pulled a Konami (If they lose too much money every year, Shareholders, Board of Directors, and even the CEO/Owner could say "that enough of that" and close capcom's game division)
  5. Ruined their relationship with Sony. (Remember as far as we know Sony reached out to them and offered to help (Big pot of money), saying no to that and doing nothing for 5 years would have been a "slap in the face to Sony" and you don't do stuff like that in business with a really good reason.

Plus, even after those 5 years SFV still could have been as poorly received (by some people) as it is now.

IMO those 5 years could have been really bad for capcom.

Your comment is pretty weird, when I ever mention the Japanese game market? I just said that Steam isn't a viable replacement for Xbox which has been proven many times. I don't even think Steam has ever had a game that has reached 200,000 in a week sold for a Japanese game. Granted XB360 did that in Japan around 2008, the feat still stands. 

The comment is about your not so subtle assertions that SFV should have been on XBONE, but you keep ignoring the fact that a XBONE version of SFV would bring in very little from the Japanese game market which is super important to a Japanese company like capcom.

Edited by soultaker655

Think the only games they have lined up are Resident Evil 2: Remake, Resident Evil 7, Dead Rising 4 and Deep Down? Still no love for Megaman, Devil May Cry or Dragon's Dogma I see... :(

Didn't Konami go full pachinko? Correct me if I'm wrong! :P

Don't forget Onimusha! Still pissed that they haven't even gave that series no love at all! And here's the kicker: They didn't even FINISH the series!!! Never mind Nioh (it looks solid so don't get me wrong here), But I would LOVE for a reboot to the series, or even remasters with a new Omimusha game to boot.

• Like 1

Don't forget Onimusha! Still pissed that they haven't even gave that series no love at all! And here's the kicker: They didn't even FINISH the series!!! Never mind Nioh (it looks solid so don't get me wrong here), But I would LOVE for a reboot to the series, or even remasters with a new Omimusha game to boot.

Well, to be fair there's a bunch of games Capcom could revive. A few titles that come to mind are Darkstalkers, Okami, Maximo, Ghost & Goblins, Rival School, Sonson, Haunting Ground, God Hand, Dino Crisis and Harvey Birdman. I would include Dungeons & Dragons but I feel like Dragon's Crown fills that spot excellently! I would also welcome Phoenix Wright on the PS4, played it on the Nintendo DS and it's a fantastic game! Played all three with Phoenix Wright as the main as well as Apollo Justice. I also believe Sengoku Basara and Monster Hunter are doing fairly well in Japan? So yeah dude, your best bet is on Ni-Oh! I tried the demo and I expected nothing less from Team Ninja to deliver a ridiculously hard game! :S  

Plus, even after those 5 years SFV still could have been as poorly received (by some people) as it is now.

IMO those 5 years could have been really bad for capcom.

There is always a chance a game could come out bad no matter when it releases, but this SF5 clearly lacks the essence of SF4. A lot of people should have been excited for a new SF, instead most were disappointed. Their sacrifice of the XB version was for nothing. Now they are taking over the DR franchise because that deal was mildly successful for them. Even Sony hasn't put enough marketing into this game and we all know why. MKX trashed your predicted sales for SF5 in 5 months. SF5 will sale 4 - 5 million after heavy discounting which is a fail.

The comment is about your not so subtle assertions that SFV should have been on XBONE, but you keep ignoring the fact that a XBONE version of SFV would bring in very little from the Japanese game market which is super important to a Japanese company like capcom.

SF5 XB1 would have done better than SF5 Steam. The fact that GG Sign sits at 70,000 after 7 - 8 months on Steam is a shame. Also, PS4 isn't making huge numbers like the PS2 in Japan, yeah it's doing better than the XB1 but that was a given. Japan always ask for a an arcade port of fighting games and Capcom didn't deliver on that. That was one of the reasons why it's ranked low on the sales list of Japan. 

Also I wouldn't use the "SF5 is so huge in the E-Fighting scene because it got 5000 entrants", lets wait to see if Sony is willing to put that kind of money down again next year. I bet they won't. 

There is always a chance a game could come out bad no matter when it releases, but this SF5 clearly lacks the essence of SF4. A lot of people should have been excited for a new SF, instead most were disappointed. Their sacrifice of the XB version was for nothing. Now they are taking over the DR franchise because that deal was mildly successful for them. Even Sony hasn't put enough marketing into this game and we all know why. MKX trashed your predicted sales for SF5 in 5 months. SF5 will sale 4 - 5 million after heavy discounting which is a fail.

I'm not sure how you think it lack "essence" when it has reached the top 50 of capcom unit sales in about 6 months (beating a lot of the games people in this thread have been talking about). They didn't really sacrifice the XB version, but that so called sacrifice gave us cross-play which means for the foreseeable future there will always be people for online. Also if SFV sales 4-5 million units it will be in the top 5 of capcom all time unit sales. I'm not sure how you could think that's a fail. Sony did put some money into this game's marketing, but the fighting game genre is still a niche genre. The MK series is just the outlier of the genre (It's a american series with 2 movies, a tv series, a cartoon show, and 10+ games) of course it out-sold SFV, it a household name in the US, but it lacks longevity. 

SF5 XB1 would have done better than SF5 Steam. The fact that GG Sign sits at 70,000 after 7 - 8 months on Steam is a shame. Also, PS4 isn't making huge numbers like the PS2 in Japan, yeah it's doing better than the XB1 but that was a given. Japan always ask for a an arcade port of fighting games and Capcom didn't deliver on that. That was one of the reasons why it's ranked low on the sales list of Japan. 

No home console will touch the PS2 for for a long time, because a good percent of those sale are from the people who bought the PS2 as a DVD player. (Remember when the PS2 was one of the cheapest DVD player on the market)

The reason the Japanese players are upset has a lot to do with their loss of the innate advantage they get from arcade versions of fighting games (they get to play the game first), capcom is trying something new to break the arcade to console cycle which would get rid of the need of super and/or ultra SFV. (Something people have been wanting forever, because new versions split the player base). Also arcade sales have nothing to do with sales nowadays (SFIV didn't even break $1 million in arcade sales)  

Also I wouldn't use the "SF5 is so huge in the E-Fighting scene because it got 5000 entrants", lets wait to see if Sony is willing to put that kind of money down again next year. I bet they won't. 

The street fighter series is and always has been the mainstay/lifeblood of the fighting games tournament scene, every big name fighting games tournament is based around the street fighter series. Street fighter (and MvC) are the only games that have the longevity to last 8-10 years, that is why it's the only game series that can push fighting games into the mainstream. It has nothing to do with 5000 people signing up for EVO (The entrants for EVO have been on the rise since 2012), do you think ESPN would have been open to letting the other big fighting game be on one of their channels? I don't because like I said MKX is still too violent/ M rated for the mainstream, KI lacks support from Microsoft, SSB is still a party game to the mainstream, and GG is an anime game.

Once again you are basing things on 6 months worth of sales, by putting $500,000 in to the CPT they have already done more for the E-Fighting scene for any other company. Also if you have been paying attention to the E-Fighting scene you should have noticed that 2/3 of all E-Fighting games are played on the PS4. (Everything besides KI and SSB) This means that the bigger the E-Fighting scene gets the more money Sony gets. So as long as the E-Fighting scene keeps growing I see no reason they wouldn't throw down $500,000 a year for the CPT. (That is a relatively small amount of money for them)

Edited by soultaker655

Well, to be fair there's a bunch of games Capcom could revive. A few titles that come to mind are Darkstalkers, Okami, Maximo, Ghost & Goblins, Rival School, Sonson, Haunting Ground, God Hand, Dino Crisis and Harvey Birdman. I would include Dungeons & Dragons but I feel like Dragon's Crown fills that spot excellently! I would also welcome Phoenix Wright on the PS4, played it on the Nintendo DS and it's a fantastic game! Played all three with Phoenix Wright as the main as well as Apollo Justice. I also believe Sengoku Basara and Monster Hunter are doing fairly well in Japan? So yeah dude, your best bet is on Ni-Oh! I tried the demo and I expected nothing less from Team Ninja to deliver a ridiculously hard game! :S  

1. They did try to revive Darkstalkers, remember Darkstalkers Resurrection? That was the test, if it sold well they were going to make a new one. As you may know it sold terribly so no new Darkstalkers game.
  2. Okami sold terribly (I'm pretty sure it still has not made it to 1 million units sold), you should already know about the Clover Studio story, and Ōkamiden sold even worse. Capcom doesn't have the money for vanity projects anymore.
  3. Dino Crisis 1 did okay as a in house RE clone, Dino Crisis 2 just barely made sold over 1 million units, every other Dino Crisis game sold terribly and was more or less hated.
  4. Ghost & Goblins sold okay, but the Maximo spin-offs did not, let see if the Maximo games get a PS2 to PS4 release to test the waters.
  5. Capcom does not own the Rival School characters, but since Karin is in SFV lets just wait and see what happens with that.
  6. God Hand see what I said about Okami.
  7. What kind of game do you think Sonson can be nowaday?
  8. A VR Haunting Ground/Clock Tower could pop up in the next few years.
  9. Phoenix Wright PS4 would be nice, but Nintendo may have that locked down. 
Edited by soultaker655

1. They did try to revive Darkstalkers, remember Darkstalkers Resurrection? That was the test, if it sold well they were going to make a new one. As you may know it sold terribly so no new Darkstalkers game.
  2. Okami sold terribly (I'm pretty sure it still have not made $1 million), you should already know about the Clover Studio story, and Ōkamiden sold even worse. Capcom doesn't have the money for vanity projects anymore.
  3. Dino Crisis 1 did okay as a in house RE clone, Dino Crisis 2 just barely made over $1 million, every other Dino Crisis game sold terribly and was more or less hated.
  4. Ghost & Goblins sold okay, but the Maximo spin-offs did not, let see if the Maximo games get a PS2 to PS4 release to test the waters.
  5. Capcom does not own the Rival School characters, but since Karin is in SFV lets just wait and see what happens with that.
  6. God Hand see what I said about Okami.
  7. What kind of game do you think Sonson can be nowaday?
  8. A VR Haunting Ground/Clock Tower could pop up in the next few years.
  9. Phoenix Wright PS4 would be nice, but Nintendo may have that locked down. 

So overall none of their games are selling well except for SF and RE? Wish they had the money for vanity projects but I guess those days are long gone... :(  

So overall none of their games are selling well except for SF and RE? Wish they had the money for vanity projects but I guess those days are long gone... :(  

Street Fighter, Resident Evil, and Monster Hunter are the only games that make Capcom money. Phoenix Wright is the only vanity project that's still around.

Go to capcom's investor site to see how little some for their games make.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/salesdata.html

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

Edited by soultaker655

I'm right there with you. I'm happy to see all of the Resi games, but I'd love some Onimusha love!

Flare, don't even mention SFV XB1. Microsoft had their chance to scoop the game up and passed on it, thinking KI was their future. They definitely got the short end of the stick there.  xD

• Like 1

Well Amazon is having a SALE for this game atm for $26.73 Physical, maybe that will help rack up some sales.

I'm still waiting for a digital though. The last SFV sale wasn't that great, I'd definitely grab it if it went for 26 digital.

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

Well Amazon is having a SALE for this game atm for $26.73 Physical, maybe that will help rack up some sales.

I'm still waiting for a digital though. The last SFV sale wasn't that great, I'd definitely grab it if it went for 26 digital.

I just paid $41 on Amazon for the collectors edition. I'm a sucker for those....to me that was fair considering all I've heard.