Why do so many posts get locked?

(i'd be interested to see how many locked posts exist. That be an interesting figure)

I don't blame anyone who gets discouraged from the forums. It seems like few users actually use it anyway. 

Posts get locked when they're a duplicate topic, against forum rules (boosting topics for instance), etc. Premium members can also lock their own topics so in some cases that'll by why a topic is locked.

Edit: This very topic itself will probably be an example of why topics get locked as I found 3 other topics asking pretty much the same thing.

http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/14952-whats-with-all-the-locked-threads/?hl=%2Blocked

http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/19769-locked-vs-vanished/?hl=%2Blocked

http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/35308-how-do-forum-threads-end-up-getting-locked/?hl=%2Blocked

Edited by BooneIronshield
  • Like 2

(i'd be interested to see how many locked posts exist. That be an interesting figure)

I don't blame anyone who gets discouraged from the forums. It seems like few users actually use it anyway. 

The mods on PSNP are really chill. They just ask for people to use their commonsense when it comes to certain things. A lot of locked topics you will see are people wanting to form groups for trophy hunting. The reason why they are locked is because its a waste of thread space and we have a "gaming sessions" hub dedicated to all that stuff rendering thread like that useless. 

Other than that, PSNP is a place where everyone can joke, laugh, become friends and socialize with one another. 

• Like 3

Some threads are just a waste of time to go through and read the posts. Some people make boosting threads, some are just duplicates. The worst part is that people don't stick to the rules when they are clear in the top of their pages!  :shakefist:

As others have already posted, boosting threads and duplicate threads are the main threads that get locked. Users can request their own thread to be locked (which happens quite often) and Premium Members can lock their own threads. We also occasionally close threads if the members discussing a topic can't stay on topic or refuse to get along, we generally try to just delete the posts that violate the rules but sometimes the whole thread either gets locked or deleted because everyone is off topic and breaking rules. 

Hope that clears some things up, if you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask me or any other mods. 

Parker

• Like 4

I disagree, there are plenty of users here. And from my experience it's been a very pleasant and often entertaining group of ladies and gentlemen.

Rarely have I seen anything that could be considered a discouragement.

Edited by Sofa King

(that was fast. And unexpected) 

is boosting allowed or not? The first time I asked for help with a trophy (Dark Souls 3 Darkmoon) my thread got locked and I was linked to a thread that was discussing a theory on how to boost the item. My second post, regarding Split/Second: Velocity got locked; because i was asking for help with a trophy. And I was refereed a topic about how to arrange a boosting session...Getting mixed signals here. 

Am I at fault for not reading rules? probably. 

Edit: for the record: I did check to see if there were any topics about my issue with Split/Second first. I found nothing that related to my problem, so I thought it would be cool to ask. Evidently, It was an issue with semantics. 

Edited by JackBabbx

is boosting allowed or not? The first time I asked for help with a trophy (Dark Souls 3 Darkmoon) my thread got locked and I was linked to a thread that was discussing a theory on how to boost the item. My second post, regarding Split/Second: Velocity got locked; because i was asking for help with a trophy. And I was refereed a topic about how to arrange a boosting session...Getting mixed signals here. 

Edit: for the record: I did check to see if there were any topics about my issue with Split/Second first. I found nothing that related to my problem, so I thought it would be cool to ask. Evidently, It was an issue with semantics. 

Boosting threads are not allowed on the forum, we use Gaming Sessions for everything regarding boosting. 

http://psnprofiles.com/gaming-sessions

Parker

It's because we have a full-feature page on the website where you can arrange boosting sessions, when people want to boost something on the site they aren't going to go to the forums, they go to the Gaming Sessions page because it's a lot better and more organized way of doing it. When a forum mod tells you about Gaming Sessions - a dedicated section of the site to arrange boosting where everyone is at for that kind of thing and locks the thread, it's not to discourage you from the forums, it's to point you in the right direction for exactly what you want to do.

• Like 1

It's pretty self-explanatory if you break the rules you get your thread locked. Boosting threads are by far the most locked thread. I find it obnoxious when someone creates a boosting thread and doesn't use the gaming sessions, it's selfish really.

Just to add to what Parker and BlindMango already stated, the only time posting a message for the purposes of boosting is allowed on the forums is when there's an official topic posted by a mod, such as this one for Minecraft - http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/19275-minecraft-ps4-official-boosting-thread/, where boosting messages are to be posted in the topic and not an actual new topic started (like this locked Minecraft topic - http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/38636-the-end-daimond-to-you-trophy-need-help/).

That's why sometimes a person will only be referred to the gaming session feature (usually by the What To Do When You Want To Boost A Trophy - Applies for ALL MP/Co-Op Activities topic and other times they'll be referred to an actual boosting topic and/or the previously mentioned topic.

Would have been a-lot easier if the original link I was given linked me to the gaming sessions page....thanks anyway. 

Suppose i'll see if i can get my trophy problems sorted out.

Have a nice day. 

Edit: Look, It made sense to me (as I'm sure it does to a-lot of people) to go to a forum to ask a question and get a response directly. Arranging a session with a set date and time...was not my first idea. And if duplicate boosting sessions get locked that is officially taking the mic (jokes). 

Edited by JackBabbx

Would have been a-lot easier if the original link I was given linked me to the gaming sessions page....thanks anyway. 

Suppose i'll see if i can get my trophy problems sorted out.

Have a nice day. 

The gaming session page typically isn't linked because a link to it is always at the very top of the site, regardless if you're on the stat side or the forum side.

It's pretty self-explanatory if you break the rules you get your thread locked. Boosting threads are by far the most locked thread. I find it obnoxious when someone creates a boosting thread and doesn't use the gaming sessions, it's selfish really.

How is it selfish...? It's not actually against the rules, strictly speaking, either, so it's understandable there's some confusion, especially since moderators themselves have started boosting threads, and there are plenty of posts from old mods saying one boosting thread is allowed per game.

http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/17792-siteforum-rules-6th-january/

How is it selfish...? It's not actually against the rules, strictly speaking, either, so it's understandable there's some confusion, especially since moderators themselves have started boosting threads, and there are plenty of posts from old mods saying one boosting thread is allowed per game.http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/17792-siteforum-rules-6th-january/

When someone creates a boosting thread it's going to get more attention than someone who created a gaming session. What makes their boosting more special than someone that uses the gaming sessions? People who make these boosting threads just put more clutter into the forums. If all the boosting was in one single thread it wouldn't be selfish.
  • Like 1

How is it selfish...? It's not actually against the rules, strictly speaking, either, so it's understandable there's some confusion, especially since moderators themselves have started boosting threads, and there are plenty of posts from old mods saying one boosting thread is allowed per game.

http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/17792-siteforum-rules-6th-january/

The reason it's not in the list of rules is because if any of those rules are broken then the individual is issued warning points. It wouldn't be right to give people warning points for creating boosting threads. It is therefore classed as an "Unwritten Rule" or a "Site Policy", whichever you prefer. A lot of those earlier threads and posts were before Gaming Sessions were a thing anyway. Some of the more established official boosting threads were retained while the rest were removed.