Thoughts On The Game?

IJJosh

I'm not saying its a bad game, just a letdown and bit of a borefest. 

No way to play with friends (exploring the solar system on your own sounds fun and exciting right?)

Gameplay becomes stale and repetitive very quickly

Each planet feels the same just with a different color palette

Definitely not worth full price. Just seems like the developers went for quantity over quality 

Sean Murray had stated in interviews SO MANY times, that whilst this was an online game, the universe is so massive that you may never encounter another person.  So having that idea in your head that you wanted to play this with friends was flawed based on your lack of knowledge of the game.

In the 6 hours that I played, I didn't get the feeling that each planet was the same but then again....in the real world, astronomers discovered a planet identical to earth.  Science is fun.

Edited by RachP13
  • Like 4

Firstly, I think it's moronic to say "post game thoughts here", effectively locking this thread as the only game discussion thread that won't get closed because it was the first, and then using the title "this game is a letdown". Don't be such an ass and use a general "game discussion" title.

On the game: played for three hours now and I'm loving it. I refused to warp and I'm still exploring my first system. Four planets down, and I see what looks like a double planet with a moon ahead. Saw some cute but also some dangerous fauna, with some overlap (I called it the Scorpion Flower). Even the flora is not all safe (I called it the Whipping Plant).

The music is awesome as well, very true to the moment.

I had some great diversity in planets, by the way. My starting planet has a weak star, so all planets are kind of freezing. Two were with snow - one with much greens as well, one rocky. Another planet was a barren desert. The fourt one was bizarre - a daek green ball with light green veins. Turns out it's an irradiated wasteland with some very Borderlands-esque wildlife.

I can't wait to see more of this amazing universe, glad to be part of it. I've paid more as well because I wanted the limited edition, and the extra's look awesome. Great buy, I'm really enjoying it. Glad to hear positive thougts from other people who weren't just swept along by the hype and wanted the game for what it is: a chill exploration game.

I've only played about 2-3 hours of it so far, and it does seem like it'll get old sooner rather than later. I enjoy exploration games, and this one seems interesting, but my main complaints so far are:

1. The game is way too resource heavy.

2. The default inventory space is far too limited (I currently don't seem to have any option to upgrade my inventories, I certainly hope those options exist).

You pretty much have to hunt for resources all the time, and the inventories are so small that you barely have room for anything left over aside from resources. The fact that the inventory was apparently even smaller before the patch is frightening.

Other than that, I was also greeted by a crash literally 2 minutes after launching the game for the first time while it was loading up. It's been fine ever since, but that initial crash was not a good first impression.

Too bad you're not liking it. I have to re-order my inventory constantly as well as sell stuff, I think it's realistic though - there's only so much that can fit in an exosuit, small ship and omnitool.

The only crash I was greeted by, was that of my own spaceship just before I assumed control of the game :-)

I hope you'll give the game a chance and keep trying it for at least a few hours. Yeah it's exploring for wildlife and resources, but that's what makes it fun in my eyes. Stock up on plutonium so you can always leave a hazardous place, I got stranded while my ship was surrounded by what I've called Brain Spiders...

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 3

To those saying that the inventories are limited, I can confirm that upgrades can be found :) Just got two upgrades for my Exosuit...loving the extra inventory slots ^_^

I came back saying I found one as well, yay!

Glad my pre-order spaceship comes with extra slots...

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

Game has zero multiplayer which is funny cause mr.tweet all day said you CAN see other players seem false marketing is in play so far.

So you're intent to keep on misinterpreting stuff and and blaming the game for it, are you?

You CAN see other players. The point is that the universe IS SO FUCKING BIG, you'll probably never see anyone unless you go looking.

• Like 1

So you're intent to keep on misinterpreting stuff and and blaming the game for it, are you?

You CAN see other players. The point is that the universe IS SO FUCKING BIG, you'll probably never see anyone unless you go looking.

No, some guys on Kotaku tried meeting. They were both on the same planet, but weren't visible to each other.

No, some guys on Kotaku tried meeting. They were both on the same planet, but weren't visible to each other.

Doesn't mean it's not in the game, it's just that because of the big launch, the servers are mostly down. You can check your online status in the pause menu and in seven hours I've seen a connection exactly once, and not for long. The rest of the time it's "you have lost connection to online services".

Luckily, unlike some other games this one does not need to be online, it just pushes you offline seemlessly. It just means you can't see others, the rest of the game works.

Edited by BillyHorrible

I'm not saying its a bad game, just a letdown and bit of a borefest. 

No way to play with friends (exploring the solar system on your own sounds fun and exciting right?)

Gameplay becomes stale and repetitive very quickly

Each planet feels the same just with a different color palette

Definitely not worth full price. Just seems like the developers went for quantity over quality 

These were the concerns I had when I looked into the game. I mean, I guess this game is right up your ally if you enjoy Minecraft by yourself but for a space exploration game I would like to do more than just go to the same different colored planets and walk around. I would like something where you can visit cities and buy different things at markets. Even something with a player-based economy would have been great. But $60 for a game where I just fly around seeing the same stuff and mining sounds like it would get boring real fast.

Doesn't mean it's not in the game, it's just that because of the big launch, the servers are mostly down. You can check your online status in the pause menu and in seven hours I've seen a connection exactly once, and not for long. The rest of the time it's "you have lost connection to online services".

Luckily, unlike some other games this one does not need to be online, it just pushes you offline seemlessly. It just means you can't see others, the rest of the game works.

Lol saying it's the servers I'm dying son it's already over been proven multiple sites are reporting it. The fans for this average game are in very much denial not a bad game but definitely not amazing and it is definitely not a game changer.

Lol saying it's the servers I'm dying son it's already over been proven multiple sites are reporting it. The fans for this average game are in very much denial not a bad game but definitely not amazing and it is definitely not a game changer.

Do you even hear what you sound like?

rock_band.png

Have fun bitching about a game you haven't even played. I'm going off, to continue to enjoy a game I love.

• Like 4

I'm actually really enjoying it, but then again I enjoy exploration games where the joy is in the discovery.  Been playing for around 6 hours and love just landing on a planet and exploring (although, I've had some pretty bad luck with hostile fauna  :giggle: )

I don't know what else people expected, when the game has repeatedly been described as a "chill space exploration game"; and I'm happy to pay the $60 price tag as it's evident the Hello Games team have worked incredibly hard on this game.

What's been nice for me during this 6 hours is that my husband is also playing the game, in the same room and I can see his TV.  We have without a doubt had completely different experiences with the game.

Discover what though? new resources etc?  

Discover what though? new resources etc?

Systems, planets, moons, words, animals...

Personally, I've started concentrating on the monoliths (actually not just monoliths but also plaques, ruins and other stuff). You get a glimpse of a background story and from what I've gathered there's some pretty weird legendary historical tale unfolding. I've also found something else of which I can just feel there's going to be a horrifying reveal but I'm not going to spoil what it is.

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 2

Honestly, I've watched people try to meet up on a ARK: Survival Evolved which is a much smaller game and guess what....people are clueless idiots when it comes to coordinating meeting locations.  I've spent nearly a day just exploring one planet and couldn't care less if there was another person on it.

At this point, as with any major release that's happened since I've been on PSNP, there will be people who play the game and enjoy the heck out of it and then there will be whiny little bitches who find any excuse to try and tear the game down (mainly people who haven't played it or have no intention of playing it)  Seems to be the PSNP way.

Anyway, I'm out....going to enjoy the game and have a private chat with other like minded people rather than feeding others negativity.

How do you find the whole trading/fighting system? Is it rewarding enough to get involved, or is it just an addition? Do the aliens on different planets tell anything interesting if you learn their language?

This review made me actually want to play the game, but I'm curious to see some players' opinions.

Edited by MojoNJojo

Played for about 6 hours so far. Enjoying it immensely. Started off on an annoying planet but after a jump into the next system, I'm good to go. Every resource has a function and it's interesting to find a balance between what you need and what you want. I doubt I'll make it to the center but it's a very relaxing game, imo. Most likely gonna be one of my reoccurring games. Haven't figured out how to get an AtlasPass yet (probably a blueprint or merchant item that I'm missing) but I'll figure it out.

• Like 2

How do you find the whole trading/fighting system? Is it rewarding enough to get involved, or is it just an addition? Do the aliens on different planets tell anything interesting if you learn their language?

This review made me actually want to play the game, but I'm curious to see some players' opinions.

I've not really done a whole lot of fighting, if anything I'll end up getting those trophies by accident when I'm defending my ship from hostile aliens.  The trading I'd say is essential to the game for earning units and also because of the limited inventory space.  That being said there are ship upgrades you can get which increase what you can carry and I'm also up to 18 inventory slots on my exosuit.

I planet hopped a lot for the first 6 hours I played, but I'm now settled on one planet and have been exploring every single outpost I can find.  The game does have a backstory and lore, the best way I can describe some of the dialogue is like a "choose your own adventure novel".  I think I agreed to marry one of the aliens I spoke to...but as a result he gave me some items (including an upgrade) and some units.

• Like 1

I came here, about to say that you should do research before buying games, but then I remembered that's bullshit and jumping into a game hoping for the best is how I found so many of my favorites. 

So yes, maybe you should do your research if you're gonna buy a full price day one game.

But also no, you should just go into it even with the risk of disappointment that comes with that.

Anywhore, the game looks like a giant space exploratory sim and that's all I know about it, and knowing that alone, that's not for me, so I wouldn't buy it. That's pretty well the game's only defining thing, so something like that, that would be on the box you'd think, meaning you have no excuse for not knowing what to expect, at least a little, and therefore, I'm not surprised you're let down by it, if you didn't read the box yo.

• Like 1