I Can't Bring Myself to Platinum This

As a game in itself, I'd say this is a pretty good game. However, I did not have that MGS feel at all and the emotional investment in this game, as was so prominent to me in the previous installments, is just not there. That being said, as a way to show my appreciation of the MGS games, I decided to platinum all of them, or at least try. So far I have succeeded, with the most difficult part (MGS2 and MGS Rising) behind me. MGSV is the last one on my list. But I am struggling with the trophy which requires you to complete all mission tasks. In itself not difficult, but I have grown really tired of this game. It's been almost three weeks now and I still can't get myself motivated to finish it off.
The Side Ops grind was just terrible. The main missions are even more terrible in that regard. It's not that they are bad missions, they're fun. But seeing as a lot of these missions were my first time playing them, I took my time, enjoyed the scenery, looked for recources, fulton exactred those I deemed useful etc. In other words, you're not going to get an S rank. Because for some reason, this game gives you an S rank mainly based on time, and I'm under the impression almost solely based on time. How many A ranks I have had when not seen, no reflex mode used, but I took too long!

This caused me having to replay most of these missions, which is in itself a grind again. Now I have to get all mission tasks for pretty much every mission again. Anyone else had this problem? What kept you motivated? I'm struggling here a bit.

• Like 2

If you don't want to plat it, don't. Trophies should be fun, not torture. If nothing else, leave it and try something else for a while.

I agree with Shadow. Trophies are something to strive for, but if it isn't fun, it isn't fun. You shouldn't force yourself to complete it. Play some different games and come back to MGSV later. I know that's not the answer you were wanting, but I can't help you with your struggles.

I'm having the same problems with the VR missions in MGS2. I can't stand playing more than few missions a week, so i just play other games that are fun to me.

If you can complete more than 500 repetitive, boring, annoying VR missions in MGS2 then you can definitely platinum MGSV. 

The only optional objective that gave me most trouble was listening to all conversations in Mission 14. That objective was super glitchy for me, but the rest were pretty easy.

Edited by hpknight
  • Like 1

I feel the same exact way with this game, I was just grinding more of it out about two weeks ago. I have done everything with this game - I just have tasks and S-ranks left, and I've S-ranked 30 out of 50 missions. This game is just ridiculously repetitive if you try to platinum it, and it's not really fun at all after finishing the story, doing all side ops, and all other activities because the game asks you to just mindlessly do the same thing over and over again after that if you want platinum. 

It's a massive pain and I've found myself having to play this entire game in chunks to enjoy it - Every month or two I'll come back and get a good amount of progress done, like the last thing I did was get all my units to level 50 and finish all key dispatch missions and do 30 S-ranks, then I'll get back to it maybe a month from now and try to S-rank the remaining missions. Podcasts and/or long YouTube videos are also a huge help, if you find some good content, they really make a grind a lot better. But yeah, as others have said above - you need to enjoy what you're playing, and if you're not then move on to another game and come back to MGS later, it will still be there :P

Basically though, this is definitely not a game I can possibly platinum in a short amount of time, it drives me crazy if I play it too long at a time - too many dumb checklists!  xD

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 1

I hear where your coming from about not having that 'emotional investment' in the game. I was the same way. There's really know way to counter that except to go play something else and eventually come back to it. Or you can force yourself to keep playing, but where's the fun in that?

• Like 1

Very impressive ive been thinking of getting mgs rising is it any good (I know its not stealthy)

It's a good hack and slash in my opinion. Fast paced, fair combat most of the time, challenging. A bit of a grind and an absolute obnoxious trophy (listening to most codec conversations). But as a core game, I found it fun and challenging. Probably the hardest plat out of the bunch.

Because for some reason, this game gives you an S rank mainly based on time, and I'm under the impression almost solely based on time. How many A ranks I have had when not seen, no reflex mode used, but I took too long!

This caused me having to replay most of these missions, which is in itself a grind again. Now I have to get all mission tasks for pretty much every mission again. Anyone else had this problem? What kept you motivated? I'm struggling here a bit.

I think the games 50 Main missions are impossible to complete unless you complete the side ops which are there for you to extract and eliminate either enemies or friends as Prisoners. The benefits of completing as much "unchecked" side ops as you can will be felt later as they yield a lot of unobtainable weapons blueprints and items. Im 870 hours in and 95% complete with 5 or trophies to go and 85% S Rank

If you play a mission at night on the timeline 18:00 and you keep getting A Rank, then alternate to 06:00 hours and the gameplay is easier and vice versa. The more you play missions during day or night, the game enemy (AI) adopts a night or day policy of being stronger with body armour on most enemy.

And then I read the op has platinum MGS V TPP LoL

BTW Starlove MGS TPP was called one of the hardest ever platinums by PS Access

Edited by snacklepuss

I'm only a couple trophies away from the platinum on this game and have had to leave it for a couple weeks, those mission tasks are such a grind. Does anyone have any tips for the hardcore versions of the missions that require you to defeat the skulls? I'm thinking about getting quiet back and trying with her because I just keep dying myself...

I'm only a couple trophies away from the platinum on this game and have had to leave it for a couple weeks, those mission tasks are such a grind. Does anyone have any tips for the hardcore versions of the missions that require you to defeat the skulls? I'm thinking about getting quiet back and trying with her because I just keep dying myself...

The Walker Gear buddy with Gattling Gun is your friend. Deploy as someone with the skill "Tough Guy" and wear the Battle Armour. Have some rockets. The better versions you have of weapons, the better. I completed all Side Ops first and everything was pretty easy.

As for the Traitor's Caravan Mission, there are a lot of ways to beat them. Sleep grenades while hiding, Rocket Launchers, Walker Gear ... It all depends on what you want to do, if you want to do all mission tasks and such.

S ranking all missions is probably best because it gives you Raiden Costume. Combining this with Stealth Camo is a gift from the Lord himself

I think the games 50 Main missions are impossible to complete unless you complete the side ops which are there for you to extract and eliminate either enemies or friends as Prisoners. The benefits of completing as much "unchecked" side ops as you can will be felt later as they yield a lot of unobtainable weapons blueprints and items. Im 870 hours in and 95% complete with 5 or trophies to go and 85% S Rank

If you play a mission at night on the timeline 18:00 and you keep getting A Rank, then alternate to 06:00 hours and the gameplay is easier and vice versa. The more you play missions during day or night, the game enemy (AI) adopts a night or day policy of being stronger with body armour on most enemy.

And then I read the op has platinum MGS V TPP LoL

BTW Starlove MGS TPP was called one of the hardest ever platinums by PS Access

Difficulty for me:

1. Metal Gear Rising

2. Metal Gear Solid 2

3. Metal Gear Solid 4

4. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

5. Metal Gear Solid TPP

6. Metal Gear Solid 3

Edited by Starlove-

If you don't want to plat it, don't. Trophies should be fun, not torture. If nothing else, leave it and try something else for a while.

Agreed! I enjoyed getting the plat for this game. I also agree that it was missing the MGS vibe from it. Maybe because Konami f-ed over Kojima and released the game without its true ending as many have seen from the deleted scene. 

Despite the game play being amazing and the game taking full advantage of the PS4 and Xbox One, I was extremely disappointed story-wise with The Phantom Pain. I also disliked how they didn't just give you the option to change the difficulty for all levels. Instead they added the same level later at a higher difficulty. I wish they had new levels. 

Getting the plat for Mortal Kombat on PS3 where you had to gain mastery of all characters was NOT fun at all. And I know I should not have wasted my time with it, but I couldn't bare to see my trophy list incomplete lol. Terrible, I know. :-p 

The Walker Gear buddy with Gattling Gun is your friend. Deploy as someone with the skill "Tough Guy" and wear the Battle Armour. Have some rockets. The better versions you have of weapons, the better. I completed all Side Ops first and everything was pretty easy.

As for the Traitor's Caravan Mission, there are a lot of ways to beat them. Sleep grenades while hiding, Rocket Launchers, Walker Gear ... It all depends on what you want to do, if you want to do all mission tasks and such.

S ranking all missions is probably best because it gives you Raiden Costume. Combining this with Stealth Camo is a gift from the Lord himself

Thanks man, I will give this a try!

The Game itself is starting to do my head in. After posting here today, I started playing MGS TPP again today as well and it was very very confusing or rather I was confused.

I didnt know which method was best for an encounter if it happened and I had no plan B if something happened. I didnt know what loadout was best for m etc.

Even though I had played all the levels before and my last time playing was a day or two ago.

ATM I am 95% completion and I have 8 Main Missions or so that need S Ranked from A-B to S Rank. Keep getting A Rank again..Also, when does the Game use Game Data Ver 1.11 as I keep loading up as Ver 1.10? 1.11 is installed... 

Also.....If I have completed a Mission which has 7 objectives, but still I finished with S Rank and 4 objectives left, does the game Re-Rank the Mission to A Rank if  I was to redo it already S Ranked, but with Stealth Camo on  or other gear that causes A Rank?  Can an S Ranked Mission be Re-ranked or De-ranked?

Edited by snacklepuss

The Game itself is starting to do my head in. After posting here today, I started playing MGS TPP again today as well and it was very very confusing or rather I was confused.

I didnt know which method was best for an encounter if it happened and I had no plan B if something happened. I didnt know what loadout was best for m etc.

Even though I had played all the levels before and my last time playing was a day or two ago.

ATM I am 95% completion and I have 8 Main Missions or so that need S Ranked from A-B to S Rank. Keep getting A Rank again..Also, when does the Game use Game Data Ver 1.11 as I keep loading up as Ver 1.10? 1.11 is installed... 

Also.....If I have completed a Mission which has 7 objectives, but still I finished with S Rank and 4 objectives left, does the game Re-Rank the Mission to A Rank if  I was to redo it already S Ranked, but with Stealth Camo on  or other gear that causes A Rank?  Can an S Ranked Mission be Re-ranked or De-ranked?

The game does not re-rank missions when you have a lower grade. I know this because I S ranked everything first and when doing the mission to complete all the tasks, I often got sloppy and seen, takes longer to complete and let's say out of 50 mission, 45 were A ranks. None of them changed from S to A. Stealth como does reduce rank to A or lower. But it will not replace a higher grade.

The S rank is not dependent on how many objectives you complete. Just the main objective suffices. The main parameter for S ranks, unfortunately, is completion time. I think you can even be seen, if you complete it swiftly, you can still get an S rank.

But yeah, if you want an S rank, don't bother Fulton Extracting players, don't bother doing anything pretty much but the main objective and not being seen. That will guarantee you an S rank.

That being said, I remember the mission Skull Face I got an A rank twice without being seen and doing it pretty swiftly.

That mission does require a bit of pace.

Edited by Starlove-

The game does not re-rank missions when you have a lower grade. I know this because I S ranked everything first and when doing the mission to complete all the tasks, I often got sloppy and seen, takes longer to complete and let's say out of 50 mission, 45 were A ranks. None of them changed from S to A. Stealth como does reduce rank to A or lower. But it will not replace a higher grade.

The S rank is not dependent on how many objectives you complete. Just the main objective suffices. The main parameter for S ranks, unfortunately, is completion time. I think you can even be seen, if you complete it swiftly, you can still get an S rank.

But yeah, if you want an S rank, don't bother Fulton Extracting players, don't bother doing anything pretty much but the main objective and not being seen. That will guarantee you an S rank.

That being said, I remember the mission Skull Face I got an A rank twice without being seen and doing it pretty swiftly.

That mission does require a bit of pace.

Thank You for clearing that up as I was getting confused and I even tested it to see what would happen. And I actually did a mission and thought it had De-Ranked due to the mission being a duplicate [Extreme]

I know it doesnt happen on MGS GZeroes but was just confirming it. So again, thanks for the input as I can now go Platinum from here on in.

I am getting soo soooooo effing bored with MGS V TPP that I almost gave up with 4 or 5 trophies left for platinum.  The realization of MGS Survive also was a blow to my gameplay.

PS Skull Face is the one I am actually leaving until last.

Thank You for clearing that up as I was getting confused and I even tested it to see what would happen. And I actually did a mission and thought it had De-Ranked due to the mission being a duplicate [Extreme]

I know it doesnt happen on MGS GZeroes but was just confirming it. So again, thanks for the input as I can now go Platinum from here on in.

I am getting soo soooooo effing bored with MGS V TPP that I almost gave up with 4 or 5 trophies left for platinum.  The realization of MGS Survive also was a blow to my gameplay.

A tip, the walk you do with Skull Face can be skipped and should be skipped. I know it might sound like a stupid thing to say, but I can see how people don't know you can skip the walk and jeep scene since they don't really look like cutscenes. Good luck with the platinum.

A tip, the walk you do with Skull Face can be skipped and should be skipped. I know it might sound like a stupid thing to say, but I can see how people don't know you can skip the walk and jeep scene since they don't really look like cutscenes. Good luck with the platinum.

THANKS.......

Just 2 trophies away from Platinum now on MGS V TPP.

Quick question if its ok. I just did "The Man Who Sold The World" Mission and I got the 6 kills and S Rank first go.

I swapped the handgun for a small MachineGun got 6 headshots and escaped unseen, but there was no man on fire?

Does anyone know why that part is not there yet as it says "Hit the man on fire with 20 shots"  

This is boring the tits of me again as its literally back to the beginning again and although you can skip bits, you still have to do the whole crawl-escape scenario. Then theres no man on fire. 

Please tell me I do not have to crawl-escape again. Its horrible grrrrrrrrrrrrr..................

You must hit the man on fire twenty times. This is after you shoot the six people searching for you and before using DIVE for the first time.

Use one of the guns the search team uses. You will know you hit him 20 times when he reflects them back at you. Empty a couple of clips on him to be sure.

Just make sure you do this before you press Square to dive and he gets blocked by a vehicle, then it is too late

You must hit the man on fire twenty times. This is after you shoot the six people searching for you and before using DIVE for the first time.

Use one of the guns the search team uses. You will know you hit him 20 times when he reflects them back at you. Empty a couple of clips on him to be sure.

Just make sure you do this before you press Square to dive and he gets blocked by a vehicle, then it is too late

Thats the problem. I cannot get this part of the game to come into play.

I did the mission TRUTH-The man who sold the world, and it ends as soon as I shoot 6 enemy then I do the emergency diving outside undetected.

Then the mission ends on S Rank with NO MAN ON FIRE PART?