Paying to play online

Zenpai

I'm not too fond of the idea of paying to play online either. But the fact is, I've saved so much money with PS+ discounts that in the end paying 40€ for it didn't bother me at all.

Same, and I'd rather have this than online passes in every game, ps+ is an amazing service IMO and even if they up the price in europe it will still be worth it for me

Why are these topics still being created?Its 2016 not 2006 paying for online is fine.People are just so use to the ps3 online being free.Thats fine though its oldschool.Dont complain about ps4 online then stick to your old ps3 and play for free then.Im actually glad that ps4 charges for that.Anybody that can buy games can pay monthly or yearly so deal with it or stop complaining

What I'm curious is. If these consoles gave the service for free but increase the cost of the system, would they make more money instead? Say add 100$ to the system. Since there are a portion of the population not having plus. So are we willing to pay more a console?? I think everyone rather have that option and would rather pay for the cheapest cost of a product or is it ok to force it down your throat? Because some just don't care about mp online like yourself OP.

So now we get options and people still complain.

I think I gotta wait for Sony to make it free to play online :hmm:...

By the way, how much do you pay to play online?

I think only.... 0.16 cents a day.

0.16 cents for online play, a cloud save, and some bad indies...

Yup a very bad deal.

Edit: my bad it's

0.1643561644 cents a day.

At least for NA.

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

Why are these topics still being created?Its 2016 not 2006 paying for online is fine.People are just so use to the ps3 online being free.Thats fine though its oldschool.Dont complain about ps4 online then stick to your old ps3 and play for free then.Im actually glad that ps4 charges for that.Anybody that can buy games can pay monthly or yearly so deal with it or stop complaining

I already pay to my ISP for internet access, I paid 400€ to Sony for their new console. I bought games brand new that make money to Sony and the devs and I'm required to pay 50€ yearly to play those games online? I will complain about this even if it will die someday. I won't shut up about how shitty business practice this is. Even worse PS+ is an awful subscription if you compare it to Xbox Live Gold,

• Like 2

I already pay to my ISP for internet access, I paid 400€ to Sony for their new console. I bought games brand new that make money to Sony and the devs and I'm required to pay 50€ yearly to play those games online? I will complain about this even if it will die someday. I won't shut up about how shitty business practice this is. Even worse PS+ is an awful subscription if you compare it to Xbox Live Gold,

There making progress it helps for better servers to prevent cheaters and hackers unlike the ps3.Pc online is filled with hackers and cheaters because its free

And there's also, you know, PC, which has never had an online paywall and probably works better than all consoles.

You, most certainly, didn't know the pain of online gaming in the mid to late 90's. PSN's outtages would have seemed like a dream compared to getting some online games working correctly.

At the end of the day, I know that servers cost money. The $5.00 a month I end up paying is appropriate for the online backups and auto-updates, which are the two services I keep paying Plus for. The "online gaming" for PS4 games and the bonus games of Plus are not really factors for me, but occasionally end up being a nice bonus.

I always assumed PC gaming wasn't a pay service because the sheer quantity of people who buy the games for PC dwarf console sales and PC provided un-supported online servers. Always made sense to me. Console servers were managed and you were able to get a hold of Sony or MS if you had issues and at least talk to someone.

• Like 2

It depends how often you play games. Most people at the moment are probably fairly active gamers, so they're able to get their money's worth out of it and any other incentives.

I kept going back to my Wii and DS for years after I stopped actively playing them, just to have a few races on Mario Kart every now and then. If I had to pay £5 every time I wanted to do that, I wouldn't have bothered.

• Like 1

Your ISP service is just for PSN? Im sure you use it for "other" services too.

I'm not too fond of the idea of paying to play online either. But the fact is, I've saved so much money with PS+ discounts that in the end paying 40€ for it didn't bother me at all.

This sums it up pretty well. Between the deals and the amount of use I get out of the online features/ cloud saves, I really can't be mad about paying. Especially when Gold ends up being really cheap come Black Friday. Plus may as well, though I haven't checked in to that. I should seeing as the price is being hiked up, though. 

Would free be nice? Absolutely. But the current price doesn't warrant complaint for me. Others who don't use it as much? I totally get that. Price hikes for what appears to be no reason, though? That rubbed me the wrong way. I'll just get it on sale like I said before.

This thread looks very, very similar to another one I can't seem to remember. 

Anyways I can sympathize with the point of this thread, but at the moment I have a bigger problem with incomplete games at launch via base content that's not in the game, not DLC expansions, with even (the best) developers not mattering and delays also not seeming to help actually polish games to what they should be. Not to mention this is also adding to the total space of games which is clearly immense. So imo, I think game production this generation is the biggest issue and concern... (because at least the online servers for PS4 are consistent most of the time).

Edited by Mar

This thread looks very, very similar to another one I can't seem to remember. 

Anyways I can sympathize with the point of this thread, but at the moment I have a bigger problem with incomplete games at launch via base content that's not in the game, not DLC expansions, with even (the best) developers not mattering and delays also not seeming to help actually polish games to what they should be. Not to mention this is also adding to the total space of games which is clearly immense. So imo, I think game production this generation is the biggest issue and concern... (because at least the online servers for PS4 are consistent most of the time).

Yeah, a lot of the comments being posted here were aired in the topic regarding the PS+ price increase (http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/40376-ps-price-increase/page-1)

I wholeheartedly agree with you regarding game production this generation. 

Yeah, a lot of the comments being posted here were aired in the topic regarding the PS+ price increase (http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/40376-ps-price-increase/page-1)

I wholeheartedly agree with you regarding game production this generation. 

Wow. So it's actually a combination of that and that the OP's work reminded me of his other creation - http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/39533-why-im-going-to-stop-buying-games-new/#entry1050423- but I was a little off from the level of my claim. Some false memory was created when I remembered that thread specifically but not where the similar comments came from.

The Problem with this online play paywall Sony created for the PS4 is that i don't see any improvement at all.. worse actually, the games for ps+ are mostly boring or unfamiliar since ps4 came out - this month is the exception for this year (hopefully not the only one)

I personally don't see this paywall as a big problem since i paid for ps+ since i had my ps3 for the igc (the cloud and discounts are bonus for me) and with 2€ (~2,24 USD) a month i will stay member for the time being :D... if you could use your ps+ games without membership that day i cut off my membership :devil:

But talking about trophies, the devs make some decisions in favour of not paying ps+ for online play: in some PS3 Remastered like Uncharted, Bioshock and Assassin's Creed II it really IS appealing that there is no mp part in these game i think :D

Edited by Evil_Joker88
  • Like 1

Online play isn't a priority at all for me, but I like having PS+ for the cloud saves, access to my IGC backlog, etc. Even when I do finally get a PS4 those reasons will still be the same, regardless of whether I play online or not. Yeah, I agree that paying to play online is lame but at least with PS+ and Xbox Live you're getting more than just that from the services. 

• Like 1

OP if you hate every second of online trophy hunting why do you still even do it? Just play offline game and you won't have to pay 50€ for the PS+. Problem solved :)

I think only.... 0.16 cents a day.

0.16 cents for online play, a cloud save, and some bad indies...

Yup a very bad deal.

This to me looks like a great deal. The games alone are worth that and then there's the 10GB cloud storage! Edited by Winston
  • Like 1

OP if you hate every second of online trophy hunting why do you still even do it? Just play offline game and you won't have to pay 50€ for the PS+. Problem solved :)

I do get what you mean, but, as I'm sure many here can understand, I like to collect all trophies and unlock that sweet platinum at the end. If I have to endure a little bit of online multiplayer to do that, I can deal with it, despite disliking it. As long as it's not immensely grindy or insanely hard, I'll do it if I can. Gaming sessions have thankfully also made the process much faster and easier.

Though, as I said in the original post, paying for PS Plus just to get the online trophies is where I draw the line. If I can get at least the offline ones, I'll be plenty happy.