How Would you fix the PS Vita

dragon11gggg

I have to send out a survey for school and receive 200 responses. My topic is how should Sony improve the PS Vita.      

Please Fill out this quick survey and share it

https://docs.google.com/a/gapps.yrdsb.ca/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfXb9ULj36nXPH8eQQmS38-3rUTdsJjIvukXC1kZ2qtAphkYw/viewform

It ain't broken. It's great exactly how it is.

Also: 

You need permission

This form can only be viewed by users in the owner's organization.

Try contacting the owner of the form if you think this is a mistake.

• Like 1

It ain't broken. It's great exactly how it is.

Also: 

You need permission

This form can only be viewed by users in the owner's organization.

Try contacting the owner of the form if you think this is a mistake.

I agree it isn't broken. It has a lot of life left in it.

What I would do though, if I was Sony, is start making all the PS2 ports that are coming to the PS4 also run on the PSVita. The hardware should be more than capable, and they would probably look better on the Vita anyway.

I know there are a number that I shrugged at getting on the PS4 that I would definitely have purchased for the Vita

I agree it isn't broken. It has a lot of life left in it.

What I would do though, if I was Sony, is start making all the PS2 ports that are coming to the PS4 also run on the PSVita. The hardware should be more than capable, and they would probably look better on the Vita anyway.

I know there are a number that I shrugged at getting on the PS4 that I would definitely have purchased for the Vita

Unfortunately I don't believe the vita is capable to emulate PS2 games because the hardware isn't strong enough (would have been awesome though) - if I recall, an article said that for emulation to work the hardware needs to be 10x stronger than the original console.

They can of course play ports of PS2 games but they require a lot of resources from the developers.

Unfortunately I don't believe the vita is capable to emulate PS2 games because the hardware isn't strong enough (would have been awesome though) - if I recall, an article said that for emulation to work the hardware needs to be 10x stronger than the original console.

They can of course play ports of PS2 games but they require a lot of resources from the developers.

The PS2 ran a 299 mhz MIPS CPU. The Vita runs a 2 Ghz Quad Core ARM. It's significantly more powerful than just 10x and definitely capable of brute forcing emulating PS2 programming.

The PS2 ran a 299 mhz MIPS CPU. The Vita runs a 2 Ghz Quad Core ARM. It's significantly more powerful than just 10x and definitely capable of brute forcing emulating PS2 programming.

I don't know enough about emulation but I'm sure it's more complicated than having better CPU (fairly sure it's capable of 2Ghz but is actually clocked at 800MHz to keep battery life longer and avoid overheating). Need to also take into account that the architecture of the Vita is slower than PC x86, the fact that some of the CPU has to be used for the operating system, figuring out how to emulate the Emotion engine etc.

Latest smartphones have better hardware than Vita and the current PS2 emulator is still very slow and needs more time to optimise for it.

Edit: Nvm it's not 800MHz but more like 444MHz at it's max.

http://bitparade.co.uk/article.php?id=3859

Edited by xWinson

I don't know enough about emulation but I'm sure it's more complicated than having better CPU (fairly sure it's capable of 2Ghz but is actually clocked at 800MHz to keep battery life longer and avoid overheating). Need to also take into account that the architecture of the Vita is slower than PC x86, the fact that some of the CPU has to be used for the operating system, figuring out how to emulate the Emotion engine etc.

Latest smartphones have better hardware than Vita and the current PS2 emulator is still very slow and needs more time to optimise for it.

I actually do know quite a bit about emulation and neither MIPS nor ARM are x86, and are in fact quite compatible when it comes to running code. Without going into really deep details, the CPU and GPU in the Vita is more than capable of emulating the PS2 hardware QUITE efficiently and keeping good battery life and without overheating.

Smartphone emulators aren't written by Sony, who has far more experience and access to write an emulator for the Vita, a device that doesn't have to worry about making and receiving calls as well as all the other functions of a smartphone. If Sony wanted it to, it would be no problem for the Vita to run PS2 games in their native code with only a sandboxed emulator, much like it does with PS1 titles and without breaking a sweat.

I only brought up the GHz speeds because you did so in your post.

(10x stronger...)

Only problem I have with the vita itself is the stupid touchpad in the back that I accidentally hit on occasion. The sticks are awkward but I'm not playing many games where that's a problem. The problem with the console is a lack of exclusive content. Sure, it has games but most of the ones that interest me can be played on PS3 or PS4 at a much higher level. Making a quality game on the vita is expensive, which is a gamble on a handheld that isn't exactly popular worldwide. I guess my answer to your question would be that they need to take the gamble and try putting out some high-quality vita exclusives.

I actually do know quite a bit about emulation and neither MIPS nor ARM are x86, and are in fact quite compatible when it comes to running code. Without going into really deep details, the CPU and GPU in the Vita is more than capable of emulating the PS2 hardware QUITE efficiently and keeping good battery life and without overheating.

Smartphone emulators aren't written by Sony, who has far more experience and access to write an emulator for the Vita, a device that doesn't have to worry about making and receiving calls as well as all the other functions of a smartphone. If Sony wanted it to, it would be no problem for the Vita to run PS2 games in their native code with only a sandboxed emulator, much like it does with PS1 titles and without breaking a sweat.

I only brought up the GHz speeds because you did so in your post.

(10x stronger...)

If that's true then fair enough.

However the vita CPU isn't actually 10x stronger than the PS2 is it - maybe 6x at it's highest clock speed allowed by Sony (444MHz)?

Still a bit hesitant to agree that it can easily run PS2 games in their native code without breaking a sweat - some PS2 ports which should arguably run better than emulators on Vita have poor FPS (like Jax & Daxter and God of War Collection that runs in 30fps when it ran 60fps on PS2). The porting developers could have done a better job but I doubt they could have raised it to 60fps without downscaling further.

If it's such a struggle making a competent port because of hardware limitations then being able to brute force an emulator comfortably seem's a bit unlikely.

Edited by xWinson

How would I fix it? Simple. Get rid of the back touchpad. Its useless..

False~ Tearaway alone justifies it.

Besides, did you never use it in the browser? Scrolling through with the rear touch is magical. So perfect. I love it.

@topic; I said clickable analogs [if you've ever used the Navigation controller for PS3, you would know how firm they can make them to click in], internal memory that's actually useable with memory cards [why the Slim's internal memory isn't I'll never know, Sony's mobile division has no problem with this... smdh]. And potentially put L2/R2 if possible, I wouldn't mind a slightly thicker model. Oh and return of the OLED.

Should've put bring back the XMB. While I like the Liveareas for things, the bubbles are horrible and nothing is ever quick to access if you've got a lot of content on your system. It's cumbersome and awful. The XMB with slight modifications to how it looks would've worked with touch too. Just increase the size of the selected part. Tada. *sigh* Minimalism, so beautiful. I miss you XMB.

Edited by Elvick_

I love these.

Anyway here's mine. 

Allowing more than one profile on each system.

Separating saves from the game so the save file doesn't get deleted when the game does.

Allowing the PSN store on the system to process more than one single purchase at a time. 

Get rid of the shitty back touch pad (although a lot of games have gone fuck it with that)

Oh and make more games. 

False~ Tearaway alone justifies it.

Besides, did you never use it in the browser? Scrolling through with the rear touch is magical. So perfect. I love it.

Ok. Ok. Say it useless is a bit harsh. I would say its a unnecessary feature.

Of course I did use it in the browser. Its terrible. I rather scroll through the web with the front touchscreen or the analog stick instead. The issue is that the back touchpad moves whenever your fingers is touching it. It irritates me. Even when your reading an article.

Not only that but games such as LBP vita gets in my nerves as well when using the back touchpad. Whenever your editing a stage the popit cursor moves all the way where the fingers touching at again. Same goes for other games such as Sparkle. The only time the back touchpad is needed is on certain games but the feature is only use so shortly that it wasnt necessary at all. Heck there could other games I play that has a optional use for the back touchpad but I simply ignored it or never payed attention to it. Not only that there are other games I played that doesnt need the feature. So saying only tearaway makes the feature works well doesnt really justified it. Its only 1 game. What about the rest of the other games?

Edited by Ichiban-Hybrid