LOL (or "My playthrough of Datura")

starcrunch061

So, I finally bit the bullet and played this yesterday. What a joke. Sony really needs to stop giving this "artsy" crap to PS+. This is 3 times now that I remember (with "Proteus" and Gone Home"). Datura isn't as bad as those abominations, but getting shot in the head probably isn't as bad as burning alive, or getting crushed slowly by a steamroller.

Anyway, I only played once, but is it the case that the forest reflects your decisions? Because I certainly...

• Sawed the dude's arm off
  • ran over that stupid pig
  • gunned down soldiers with the gatling gun
  • left that kid to die while I escaped, and ultimately

...had one dead forest.

Control in this game was abysmal. The only time I used a guide wasn't for any of the puzzles, but instead occurred when I tried to figure out how to use the stupid crowbar.

Die in a fire, art crap...

• Like 4

Let's talk about that... Gone Home is bad but Datura... oh boys... The worst game I ever played on my account and i have games such as Deep Black and Magus on it...

Datura is nothing to Magus. Magus is so much more fun it's not even funny. I don't know what Deep Black is.

I give Datura the edge over Gone Home because you actually DO something "gamey". You solve puzzles. Terrible puzzles, with terrible control, but puzzles. Sort of. But Gone Home? That thing just stinks of an after-school special. Plus, the trophies don't seem to glitch or anything in Datura, so that's always a plus.

I give Datura the edge over Proteus, because it at least looks like it was made in the 90s. Proteus feels like a tech demo from the late 80s or something.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

Hoo boy, now I'm not sure if adding this to my downloads was wise. At least I'll be quick, right? ...right?

It is quick, so there's that. But it's pretty bad. The control is just God-awful, and your character moves SO SLOWLY. The only redeeming value is the violence (or non-violence, I guess) you can inflict on others, but even that is a fleeting pleasure.

I actually quite liked Gone Home. It had its flaws, it's incredibly over-rated, but I liked the idea of going through a house examining objects and solving puzzles. I'm expecting the Croft Manor DLC for Rise of the Tomb Raider to basically be Gone Home without the many flaws (and hopefully a better story, because Gone Home's story was really quite bad imo).

Proteus... I can see the appeal of it, but it wasn't for me.

But hey, at least these games are all short.

Edited by madbuk

I remember going into Gone Home without ever reading about it. I thought it was going to be one of those indie horror games with at least a good setting. I hate jump scares but if a horror game has great atmosphere, why not? 

gg no re. Nothing happened, it was a badly designed "walk through a house"-simulator. The """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""plot"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" was your average social justice crap the developers found on Tumblr. Such a disgrace to gaming but the worst, the absolute worst was that people reviewed it mostly positive.

Good to know Datura is more artsy hipster shit. They should really advertise it like that. 

It is quick, so there's that. But it's pretty bad. The control is just God-awful, and your character moves SO SLOWLY. The only redeeming value is the violence (or non-violence, I guess) you can inflict on others, but even that is a fleeting pleasure.

• He does move HORRIBLY slow I remember it saying you could run with like R2/L2 so I button mashed the fuck out of those and he ran BARELY at VERY sporadic times.
  • The Sixaxis is wonky as all shit.
  • The Crowbar was a HUGE pain.
  • The controls weren't responsive, I remember rubbing each tree like 300 times before he wrote a god damn map.
  • Half the time You're unsure if your in control of events of your person is doing their own thing
  • Triangle button is the "key item" button and even at that, I had to push it like 20 times at times to register it.
  • The Driving scene was horrendous controlled.
  • That scene with the tennis ball launcher and picking up a shield, I could NOT figure out how to use the fucking shield, I just got hit 3,00,000 times.
  • The list goes on.
Edited by TigressLion
  • Like 2

Well, anyway, ignoring that diversion...

• He does move HORRIBLY slow I remember it saying you could run with like R2/L2 so I button mashed the fuck out of those and he ran BARELY at VERY sporadic times.
  • The Sixaxis is wonky as all shit.
  • The Crowbar was a HUGE pain.
  • The controls weren't responsive, I remember rubbing each tree like 300 times before he wrote a god damn map.
  • Half the time You're unsure if your in control of events of your person is doing their own thing
  • Triangle button is the "key item" button and even at that, I had to push it like 20 times at times to register it.
  • The Driving scene was horrendous controlled.
  • That scene with the tennis ball launcher and picking up a shield, I could NOT figure out how to use the fucking shield, I just got hit 3,00,000 times.
  • The list goes on.

That driving this was ridiculous. I actually had to turn my controller upside-down to drive straight. Even though it was short, I was hoping the whole time that I would just die already in that sequence (I found it humorous that you just could not drive off the road, no matter how you tried).

Oh God - I completely forgot about the shield! I cannot understand why my dude couldn't both walk AND hold the shield simultaneously. How many tennis balls did that machine hold, anyway (I presume they weren't baseballs, since that would have just killed me).

Another weird thing - the map just couldn't be called up sometimes. In particular, after finishing the first scene after the maze, I just couldn't call up the map. I was mashing square, but just couldn't get it to work.

Huh...the video i saw of it looked interesting. So its not good huh? I might just test it on my honey's account.

You might like it. Who knows? But if you're like me, you won't (although given its short length and free price, you might play it anyway). 

Edited by Stevieboy
Clean up.
  • Like 2

Well, anyway, ignoring that diversion...

That driving this was ridiculous. I actually had to turn my controller upside-down to drive straight. Even though it was short, I was hoping the whole time that I would just die already in that sequence (I found it humorous that you just could not drive off the road, no matter how you tried).

Oh God - I completely forgot about the shield! I cannot understand why my dude couldn't both walk AND hold the shield simultaneously. How many tennis balls did that machine hold, anyway (I presume they weren't baseballs, since that would have just killed me).

Another weird thing - the map just couldn't be called up sometimes. In particular, after finishing the first scene after the maze, I just couldn't call up the map. I was mashing square, but just couldn't get it to work.

You might like it. Who knows? But if you're like me, you won't (although given its short length and free price, you might play it anyway). 

I know! I had to hold my controller upside too! or else I just rode the railings!

The Crowbar was nuts, must've spent like 5+ minutes on it. I love how they give you zero directions.

That's another Issue I had, ALL the ever did was show you a button to push, that's it, no instructions except for the initial first texts.

The map was an annoyance, I still don't understand why some circles were white and some were black.

The start of the story also baffles me, I clearly removed the blanket and pulled off the heart monitors myself. What does the bitch do while I'm clearly flailing my hands showing I'm alive. She defibilerates me, and god awfully too. Than goes on to murder me.  

I will say, I slightly enjoyed seeing my PSN Avvy upsized in the mirror. haha. 

Edited by Stevieboy
Clean up

As I said in another thread when this was announced, it's a short little walking simulator on drugs that doesn't overstay it's welcome. xD Besides, this game is from long before many of the games you might think about from the genre.

Lastly, Sony doesn't really pick. Publishers talk to Sony. :P

As I said in another thread when this was announced, it's a short little walking simulator on drugs that doesn't overstay it's welcome. xD Besides, this game is from long before many of the games you might think about from the genre.

Lastly, Sony doesn't really pick. Publishers talk to Sony. :P

Someone points out the key point, Sony isn't the ones that picks them. BUT Sony does have a right to refuse, which they clearly didn't refute this title.

Someone points out the key point, Sony isn't the ones that picks them. BUT Sony does have a right to refuse, which they clearly didn't refute this title.

Actually, I thought I saw Santa Monica Studios' logo at the beginning. That would make this a first party title, no? 

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that struggled with those controls. xD I thought it was okay, though. But I hate the Greed trophy. Only at the end, did I realize the consequences of my action.. But oh, well. 

Actually, I thought I saw Santa Monica Studios' logo at the beginning. That would make this a first party title, no? 

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that struggled with those controls. xD I thought it was okay, though. But I hate the Greed trophy. Only at the end, did I realize the consequences of my action.. But oh, well. 

I nearly missed a tree *phew* thank god I didn't. I wouldn't put myself through it again, at least you had a fast run to the ice.

I nearly missed a tree *phew* thank god I didn't. I wouldn't put myself through it again, at least you had a fast run to the ice.

I didn't miss any trophies, if that's what you're saying. It's something that happens at the end, if you chose the Greed option.

The girl will be lying under a white sheet, clutching the trophy in her hand. :(

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that struggled with those controls. xD I thought it was okay, though. But I hate the Greed trophy. Only at the end, did I realize the consequences of my action.. But oh, well.

If I cared more about this game, that trophy would have pissed me off. What were they thinking? The ONLY draw to this game are the choices, but for so e reason, they force your hand on one of them? Edited by starcrunch061

I'm all for an easy 100% but after reading this thread it doesn't sound like it's worth bothering with. Just going to keep this one in backlog limbo for now.

It only takes an hour, though. Join us in our misery. :P

If I cared more about this game, that trophy would have pissed me off. What were they thinking? The ONLY draw to this game are the choices, but for so e reason, they force your hand on one of them?

Yeah, it was pretty stupid, for sure. I don't really care, though. I'll just move onto the next game, and forget all about this quite forgettable experience. 

I didn't miss any trophies, if that's what you're saying. It's something that happens at the end, if you chose the Greed option.

The girl will be lying under a white sheet, clutching the trophy in her hand. :(

Oh I didn't watch the end o.O as soon as that final trophy popped I quit right to the XMB haha.